PDA

View Full Version : Group calls for end of two-a-days

turbostud
06-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Link (http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=10556705)

Looking4number8
06-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I understand their thinking but..:thmbdwn: :thmbdwn: :thmbdwn:

LHexPlayer
06-18-2009, 07:02 PM
The Wussification of America! We are well on our way.

Additup
06-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Not from this article but:
"Almost every heatstroke death in football over the past 20 years has been on the first or second day of practice," said Larry Kenney, past president of the American College of Sports Medicine and a professor at Penn State University. "That points to a lack of heat acclimation."

If coaches/trainers watch out on the first day of practice and the first day in pads, kids should be fine. Water 'em up and get 'em through it.

PurpleFreddy
06-18-2009, 07:33 PM
OMG, is there some sort of epidemic going on? 39 players in 14 years .... not exactly an epidemic. I agree that this is the continued wussification of America.
Today's athletes get more protection, get more water breaks, have more indoor practice facilities, and have better equipment than ever before.
You want to know what may be a greater cause of heat-related deaths and injuries than two-a-days? I'll tell you what is it ... it's the friggin big round bales of hay.
No longer do teenage boys spend their summers trying to earn some pocket money by hauling hay.
In fact, too many have to do anything to earn any money. Mommy and daddy just give them money. Heck, they don't have to leave the comfort of their air-conditioned bedrooms and living rooms.
No wonder exposure to the heat is so harmful. They aren't used to it.

scrub c
06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
global warming ?

Additup
06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
National Athletic Trainers Association also recommends:

For a heat index of 105 degrees - "BLACK FLAG"
Stop all outside activity in practice and / or play and stop all inside activity if air conditioning is unavailable

If we followed this, schools on the coast would NEVER practice.
92 with 60% humidity = 105
88 with 80% humidity = 106

Rabid Cougar
06-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Global air conditioning

DDBooger
06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Global air conditioning
lmao :clap:

SintonFan
06-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Lots of kids staying inside playing video games. There's your problem. Make them play video games in the garage and see what happens.

GreenMonster
06-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Lots of kids staying inside playing video games. There's your problem. Make them play video games in the garage and see what happens.

I like it.

Ranger Mom
06-18-2009, 09:44 PM
My son hurt his shoulder one year playing football. When we were visiting the "sports doctor" the next morning there was a couple in there with their son, who had hurt his knee the night before in a game.

I overheard the dad say something to the doctor to the effect of "When I was young and playing football, you didn't see all these knee injuries like you do these days....is the game THAT much rougher?"

The doctor replied, "Not by a long shot...the kids are way better protected these days....the reason you see more knee injuries is because kids don't ride bikes all over the place like they used to and their muscles aren't nearly as strong."

I found that rationalization interesting. When I was little, we rode our bikes EVERYWHERE! Now it's 4 wheelers, etc.

My kids all had bikes, but we have always kinda lived in the country, so they never really had as many places to ride as I did.

SintonFan
06-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My son hurt his shoulder one year playing football. When we were visiting the "sports doctor" the next morning there was a couple in there with their son, who had hurt his knee the night before in a game.

I overheard the dad say something to the doctor to the effect of "When I was young and playing football, you didn't see all these knee injuries like you do these days....is the game THAT much rougher?"

The doctor replied, "Not by a long shot...the kids are way better protected these days....the reason you see more knee injuries is because kids don't ride bikes all over the place like they used to and their muscles aren't nearly as strong."

I found that rationalization interesting. When I was little, we rode our bikes EVERYWHERE! Now it's 4 wheelers, etc.

My kids all had bikes, but we have always kinda lived in the country, so they never really had as many places to ride as I did.
We have a four+ mile paved and unpaved(not part of the five miles, there is also a system of bikes trails called "Monkey Trails" that is just for jumping and mountain bikes which is challenging for kids) nature trail system behind our house in SA. Check this out: Leon Creek Trail (http://www.sanantonio.gov/creekways/LeonCreekBabcockBanderaParking.pdf)
When the creek system is finished the linear park will be over 20 miles!
We ride at least 10 miles a week on our bikes. Zach has a nice Diamondback bike and lots of folks are joining us and buying Giants and Specialized brand bikes. I have a decent old Columbia that works great for me.:D Our group is growing almost every week and since we are at the foot of the hill country the ride is pretty sweet.:)

Ranger Mom
06-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I dont buy the "kids dont ride bikes so they're not as strong" answer. We know so much more about the human body now than we did 20 years ago, and our training techniques are so much better now, kids are much stronger today than they used to be. Maybe not as tough, but definately stronger. But, with better training comes bigger, stronger, better athletes and with that comes more injuries. Also, the game is much different now. People dont line up foot to foot and run forward anymore. With the new angles used and the wide open mentality, it opens up the possibility for more injuries.
Plus, kids just dont play hurt anymore, but I think that's a good thing.

He was only talking about knee injuries and why we seem to see so many more these days. He said the muscles around the knees aren't as strong as kids back in the "old days" were. I know if I get on a bike, my knees are the first thing to hurt!!!

Txbroadcaster
06-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
He was only talking about knee injuries and why we seem to see so many more these days. He said the muscles around the knees aren't as strong as kids back in the "old days" were. I know if I get on a bike, my knees are the first thing to hurt!!!

I simply think we just know where and how to find knee injuries compared to the past. I think knee injuries are prob about same % as "back in the day"

Electus Unus
06-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
The Wussification of America! We are well on our way.

TexMike
06-19-2009, 06:19 AM
I don't think the "new" guidelines are far from what many schools are doing already.

The guidelines from the NATA statement:

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE 14-DAY HEATACCLIMATIZATIONPERIOD
1. Days 1 through 5 of the heat-acclimatization period consist of the first 5 days of formal practice. During this time, athletes may not participate in more than 1 practice per day.
2. If a practice is interrupted by inclement weather or heat restrictions, the practice should recommence once conditions are deemed safe. Total practice time should not exceed 3 hours in any 1 day.
3. A 1-hour maximum walk-through is permitted during days 1–5 of the heat-acclimatization period. However, a 3-hour recovery period should be inserted between the practice and walk-through (or vice versa).
4. During days 1–2 of the heat-acclimatization period, in sports requiring helmets or shoulder pads, a helmet should be the only protective equipment permitted (goalies, as in the case of field hockey and related sports, should not wear full protective gear or perform activities that would require protective equipment). During days 3–5, only helmets and shoulder pads
should be worn. Beginning on day 6, all protective equipment may be worn and full contact may begin.

A. Football only: On days 3–5, contact with blocking sleds and tackling dummies may be
initiated.
B. Full-contact sports: 100% live contact drills should begin no earlier than day 6.
5. Beginning no earlier than day 6 and continuing through day 14, double-practice days must be followed by a single-practice day. On single-practice days, 1 walk-through is permitted, separated from the practice by at least 3 hours of continuous rest. When a doublepractice
day is followed by a rest day, another doublepractice day is permitted after the rest day.
6. On a double-practice day, neither practice should exceed 3 hours in duration, and student-athletes should not participate in more than 5 total hours of practice. Warm-up, stretching, cool-down, walkthrough, conditioning, and weight-room activities are included as part of the practice time. The 2 practices should be separated by at least 3 continuous hours in a
cool environment.
7. Because the risk of exertional heat illnesses during the preseason heat-acclimatization period is high, we strongly recommend that an athletic trainer be on site before, during, and after all practices.

GreenMonster
06-19-2009, 09:55 AM
I dont buy the "kids dont ride bikes so they're not as strong" answer. We know so much more about the human body now than we did 20 years ago, and our training techniques are so much better now, kids are much stronger today than they used to be. Maybe not as tough, but definately stronger. But, with better training comes bigger, stronger, better athletes and with that comes more injuries. Also, the game is much different now. People dont line up foot to foot and run forward anymore. With the new angles used and the wide open mentality, it opens up the possibility for more injuries.
Plus, kids just dont play hurt anymore, but I think that's a good thing.

I think you are on to something with the bigger, stronger athlete thing. Kids today carry more bulk than kids of the past making their top halves heavier. They have also become faster in the process so now you have a heavier, faster athlete. Just the combination of added size and speed alone has multiplied the forces exerted on the knee and all of the ligaments and tendons used to hold it together. Many, if not most, knee injuries occur without contact but rather on a cut, spin, or while in the process of pulling away from a tackle. The athlete's own size and speed is effectively causing his own injury.

BwdLions
06-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I think you are on to something with the bigger, stronger athlete thing. Kids today carry more bulk than kids of the past making their top halves heavier. They have also become faster in the process so now you have a heavier, faster athlete. Just the combination of added size and speed alone has multiplied the forces exerted on the knee and all of the ligaments and tendons used to hold it together. Many, if not most, knee injuries occur without contact but rather on a cut, spin, or while in the process of pulling away from a tackle. The athlete's own size and speed is effectively causing his own injury.

I disagree. The bottom line is kids these days don't get outside and do the things to keep them in shape like we used to do (back in the late 70s and early 80s). Whether it's riding a bike, or playing football and basketball with neighborhood kids year-round like we used to. The kids today may be a little bigger and stronger, but they are not near as tough.

lulu
06-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
I disagree. The bottom line is kids these days don't get outside and do the things to keep them in shape like we used to do (back in the late 70s and early 80s). Whether it's riding a bike, or playing football and basketball with neighborhood kids year-round like we used to. The kids today may be a little bigger and stronger, but they are not near as tough.

I agree with BwdL. Size and speed does not = strength.
If the conditioning is added to the mix, size and speed are a factor. Otherwise you have injury waiting to happen.

One also has to take into consideration that these boys are in a growth pattern of their bones and muscles. They are not matured to a point that is completed ...which can cause problems for their entire life if not handled with care. This does not make them wussies. It's just smart coaching to know these things and manage your athletes. If you want a healthy athlete you must have a smart coaching staff. Test them to their limits but know their limitatons. Their bodies will preform accordingly.

STANG RED
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I dont see why this is being argued about so much. Isnt it obviously a combination of many factors? It would seem that honest obsevation of today's youths activities (or lack there of) plus the different style of todays game, plus artificial turf, plus plus plus plus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are all contributing factors. Why do some of you think it can be pinned down to one overriding factor? There a very few cookie cutter fixes in life, so why do we always persue them? They seldom ever fix any problems.

BwdLions
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont see why this is being argued about so much. Isnt it obviously a combination of many factors? It would seem that honest obsevation of today's youths activities (or lack there of) plus the different style of todays game, plus artificial turf, plus plus plus plus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are all contributing factors. Why do some of you think it can be pinned down to one overriding factor? There a very few cookie cutter fixes in life, so why do we always persue them? They seldom ever fix any problems.

It's just fun to argue.

footballgal
06-19-2009, 02:35 PM
2 a days S/B
Early morning and Late afternoon or evening

BaseballUmp
06-19-2009, 02:40 PM
In spring ball of my junior year i had a collision and knew something was wrong with my left knee. Next day was a baseball playoff game. My knee was popping wierd and i didnt know why. On to summer weights and conditioning I knew something still wasnt wrong and I even told the coaches that Im going to hurt myself doing all of this. First day of full pad practice I went for a tackle, you know the kind that where all the coaches watching give you that atta boy good job kinda thing, well see what had happend was I couldnt get up. My knee had popped again but I couldnt straighten it at all. I ended up tearing my meniscus and having knee surgery the first week of school. All Im saying is that I always rode my bike when i was younger so i dont buy the kids dont bike enough and thats why they have weaker muscles. Accidents and injuries happen. Maybe kids these days dont play through all of the pain that the old folks used to, but why would we? Continually be in pain when we know things can be fixed? And yea it sucked not being able to play half of my senior year but had i not had surgery i would be walking like a dumbass haha so i dont think you can say that kids arent as tough as those of years ago. We just know our limitations and know when enough is enough.

Ranger Mom
06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
In spring ball of my junior year i had a collision and knew something was wrong with my left knee. Next day was a baseball playoff game. My knee was popping wierd and i didnt know why. On to summer weights and conditioning I knew something still wasnt wrong and I even told the coaches that Im going to hurt myself doing all of this. First day of full pad practice I went for a tackle, you know the kind that where all the coaches watching give you that atta boy good job kinda thing, well see what had happend was I couldnt get up. My knee had popped again but I couldnt straighten it at all. I ended up tearing my meniscus and having knee surgery the first week of school. All Im saying is that I always rode my bike when i was younger so i dont buy the kids dont bike enough and thats why they have weaker muscles. Accidents and injuries happen. Maybe kids these days dont play through all of the pain that the old folks used to, but why would we? Continually be in pain when we know things can be fixed? And yea it sucked not being able to play half of my senior year but had i not had surgery i would be walking like a dumbass haha so i dont think you can say that kids arent as tough as those of years ago. We just know our limitations and know when enough is enough.

I am almost scared to ask what your signature picture is supposed to mean/be doing....:eek:

sinton66
06-19-2009, 03:03 PM
I think the point is well made that kids today aren't as "outdoors" active as in past years. Too many video games and such to keep them indoors in the AC. When I was a kid we always were doing things outdoors in the summer. (Heck, we never had AC at home or in the cars). Wasn't uncommon for a group of us to hike five miles out to a favorite "swimming hole", or hitch/hike 15 miles out to a nearby river to go fishing, or get a big group together to play a football game. We didn't play "flag" or "touch" either, it was full contact with no helmets or pads. Most of the other kids were from farm families and had all kinds of outdoor obligations during the summer. I don't remember any of us ever suffering heat problems during two a days. And, we're taliking southern coastal area in July and August.

BaseballUmp
06-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Haha it means whatever you think it means lol

thats what pirate4state's line "not at the table, carlos" line is referring to lol

waterboy
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
I ended up tearing my meniscus and having knee surgery the first week of school.
Ouch! I had a torn meniscus back in '05. Those things are PAINFUL! Fortunately, they have the technology today to fix it in day surgery. I went in to the hospital at 6:45 AM, went through pre-op, had the surgery, went through post-op, and was out before noon. I actually felt so much better immediately following the surgery that after I ambulated to the door (a hospital requirement), I walked to the car. It was an immediate fix with no discomfort, thanks to today's technology.:clap:

BaseballUmp
06-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Yea I had to be there at 10 and i was out by 3 or so. Threw up once i got home from the knock out drugs but i even managed to walk on to the field for our scrimmage that we were having that day. It was pretty painless afterwards it just sucked always having to watch practice and games but i was an all-pro scout team qb haha

BaseballUmp
06-19-2009, 03:38 PM
oh and i also almost punched a nurse because she couldnt manage to get the needle into a vein in my hand so she started jamming it around in there. almost had an incident lol

BwdLions
06-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I think the point is well made that kids today aren't as "outdoors" active as in past years. Too many video games and such to keep them indoors in the AC. When I was a kid we always were doing things outdoors in the summer. (Heck, we never had AC at home or in the cars). Wasn't uncommon for a group of us to hike five miles out to a favorite "swimming hole", or hitch/hike 15 miles out to a nearby river to go fishing, or get a big group together to play a football game. We didn't play "flag" or "touch" either, it was full contact with no helmets or pads. Most of the other kids were from farm families and had all kinds of outdoor obligations during the summer. I don't remember any of us ever suffering heat problems during two a days. And, we're taliking southern coastal area in July and August.

Good post sinton66.

BaseballUmp
06-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I have seen enough of these kids are always indoor playing games and whatnot and thats the reason why they cant hang. For the older crowd here. these are your kids playing inside hypothetically speaking ofcourse. The parents buy the games and game systems and dont make the kids go out. Yea i had games and liked playing them, but every summer i worked outdoors throughout high school. I think if parents gave more of a push for kids to get outside then things would be better. Take stuff away lock them out do whatever if you think this will make them tougher. Some kids just have it and some dont. There are alot more reasons than just being inside that may make a kid weak or a wuss when it comes to toughness. I dont think you can pin it all on this. Sure it contributes but there are many more reasons than this.

waterboy
06-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, our parents used to MAKE us play outside! If nothing else, we were always "acclimated" to the heat. That is definitely one of the factors involved with today's youth, though not all encompassing.

sinton66
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
When my son started football, we were involved in Scouting and doing outdoors things on a regular basis. 25 and 50 mile bike rides, hiking and backpacking, building and tearing down campsites, working at the council camp. mowing the lot at the Scout hut. He played football all through Jr. High and High school, earned his Eagle in Scouting, and never once had a problem with the heat during two a days. BTW, he was 6-4 1/2 and right at 290 lbs during his highschool days.

marlin fan
06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
does it count for marching band too????:D

Old Cardinal
06-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I would agree wholeheartedly on this issue. We lost a young man (excellent athlete) to heat stroke many years ago.

When the ambient temps are that high it is a hazard to workout in blazing heat that long....

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Kids arent allowed to roam the countryside anymore..everyone is afraid they will get hurt or kidnapped. the "wussification" of America is not the kids being lazy, but not being allowed at a young age to learn the greatness of playing outside until dark but kids are not lazy by nature when it comes to playing. But if you dont let em go outside, and ride bikes for miles and miles, they will just sit inside.

so if the parents would relax and let the kids do like we all did growing up( I was at the very end of the let the kids roam generation) then they would see kids learning and willing to play outside all day

sinton66
06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Kids arent allowed to roam the countryside anymore..everyone is afraid they will get hurt or kidnapped. the "wussification" of America is not the kids being lazy, but not being allowed at a young age to learn the greatness of playing outside until dark but kids are not lazy by nature when it comes to playing. But if you dont let em go outside, and ride bikes for miles and miles, they will just sit inside.

so if the parents would relax and let the kids do like we all did growing up( I was at the very end of the let the kids roam generation) then they would see kids learning and willing to play outside all day

Oh, I agree. The kids aren't lazy. There's just too many convienient distractions within the AC areas. Heck, we didn't even have a TV until I got into Jr. High. My electronic entertainment was listening to "The Lone Ranger" on the radio. Wasn't even interested in any other programming.

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh, I agree. The kids aren't lazy. There's just too many convienient distractions within the AC areas. Heck, we didn't even have a TV until I got into Jr. High. My electronic entertainment was listening to "The Lone Ranger" on the radio. Wasn't even interested in any other programming.

My point was..it is not the kids at all..not being lazy, not distracted..it is the parents being overprotective and not allowing kids to roam around anymore. To many people worried about kidnappings and being hurt or being liable

We used to have weekly football games in my back yard...nowdays I know parents that dont allow that because they dont wont to be liable in case of injury.

So blame the adults today

sinton66
06-19-2009, 05:41 PM
My point was..it is not the kids at all..not being lazy, not distracted..it is the parents being overprotective and not allowing kids to roam around anymore. To many people worried about kidnappings and being hurt or being liable

We used to have weekly football games in my back yard...nowdays I know parents that dont allow that because they dont wont to be liable in case of injury.

So blame the adults today

Yep, there is that part too. It's a darn shame.

lulu
06-19-2009, 07:46 PM

OMG 66 your childhood sounds like mine. No TV or indoor plumbing until I was up in age a bit. Mom did not allow us in the house all day (lunch served outside) until bath and dinner time.
No AC in our house, on the school bus or in the cars. When I was 17 we did get a new house with AC and in 1961 we got new car with AC.

Figured out plenty to do and places to go.

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by lulu

Figured out plenty to do and places to go.

again..you had the freedom to..i truly dont think kids today have that freedom

SintonFan
06-19-2009, 08:31 PM

I agree with that too and let me add this, the "wussification" does start with parents who put too much stock into the 5:30, 10:00pm news and news-type programs that says everyone out there is a child molester and intends to harm your kid(s). There IS NO TRUST when it comes to our neighbors nowadays. Part of that problem is we don't get to know our neighbors like we used too. Way too many parents are paranoid and want to keep their children inside. Some others don't push their kids outside because they are comfortable with treating their young adult kids as friends instead of children who need direction.

lulu
06-19-2009, 08:34 PM
[i]Originally posted by Txbroadcaster ]
again..you had the freedom to..i truly dont think kids today have that freedom

I would not take for the memories me and my brothers and sister
made during those years. Yes we did have freedom and I believe it helped us to think for ourselves and be independent. What a great time. Kids today are really missing out.

Boy ....do I sound old.:eek: :eek:

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Kids today live in a very different world. I wouldn't switch with them for anything. They have it much tougher than most of us did, especially the kids in metropolitan areas. They have much more to deal with than most of us did.

yea i always laugh when people say kids today have it easier...those that say that think every kid has the perfect suburban life with no worries.

lulu
06-19-2009, 08:58 PM
yea i always laugh when people say kids today have it easier...those that say that think every kid has the perfect suburban life with no worries.

So many do not have any idea what a real family life is. We had it so good. No worries like today's kids. Its really kind of sad. I wish my grandchildren could experience life 50 years ago.

ronwx5x
06-19-2009, 09:01 PM
So many do not have any idea what a real family life is. We had it so good. No worries like today's kids. Its really kind of sad. I wish my grandchildren could experience life 50 years ago.

I don't know about that. My parents were not happy and we had no air conditioning!

I think my children are happier than my siblings were. At least that is what I want to think!:)

lulu
06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I don't know about that. My parents were not happy and we had no air conditioning!

I think my children are happier than my siblings were. At least that is what I want to think!:)

I hope they are too.:) At least we KNOW they are cooler:D

ronwx5x
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I hope they are too.:) At least we KNOW they are cooler:D

I know they are all of that. I have two grown daughters who make me proud. Now, if I only had some grandkids!

lulu
06-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I know they are all of that. I have two grown daughters who make me proud. Now, if I only had some grandkids!

You cannot even imagine that pure joy. I'm sure you will have a heart full.:D

sinton66
06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
You cannot even imagine that pure joy. I'm sure you will have a heart full.:D

Wish some for me too. That's about all I'm lacking to be totally beside myself.:D

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Even suburban kids have it tough. Life gets much more competitive much quicker for these kids, and they have MANY more distractions that have carry much tougher consequences.

lol I know..I meant people that say kids have it easier believe that the suburban life they think all kids have is nothing but video games and easy living

lulu
06-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Wish some for me too. That's about all I'm lacking to be totally beside myself.:D

I think that little teacher of yours will fix you right up.:)

sinton66
06-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I think that little teacher of yours will fix you right up.:)

*fingers crossed*;)

wimbo_pro
06-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Whether it be the "wussification of America"...or soft-bellied, video playing kids, or thinking a low number of dead kids over 25 years is no big deal...the fact is almost all of these deaths (and the deaths that will inevitably occur in the coming years) were/are avoidable and preventable if proper care was/is taken by the coaches and their staff. I am not blaming them as a group...but I think with all the information out there today about preventing such avoidable deaths and being aware of the signs, any coach who misses these obvious signs should indeed be under scrutiny for prosecution.

Deaths happen in almost all sports...both contact and non-contact sports. This is just the risk. Death of a young athlete caused by heat exhaustion shouldnt be called a risk, it should be called an inexcusable lapse of proper supervision.

lulu
06-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
[deaths happen in almost all sports...both contact and non-contact sports. This is just the risk. Death of a young athlete caused by heat exhaustion shouldnt be called a risk, it should be called an inexcusable lapse of proper supervision. [/B]

BRAVO:clap: :clap: :clap:

wimbo_pro
06-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Hard to pay that close attention to every one of 300 kids.
I think with all the information out there about preventing such avoidable deaths and preparing for being in the heat, any parent who allows their kids to skip this information should be under scrutiny.
We give the kids the information, we provide adequate hydration, that's all we as coaches can do.

Good to see you again, Ernest T.

I guess the phrase "adequate hydration" is the operative phrase here. I am not sure, but I think I have read somewhere that many if not most of these deaths were caused (or partly caused) by INadequate hydration. With all the people we have employed for high school football (just go watch a scrimmage sometime...holy cow, who ARE all these people on the field?), you'd think there could be more of an effort put into making sure kids dont die during the weeks of August. Call me crazy, but it seems to be worth the effort.

wimbo_pro
06-20-2009, 01:13 AM
That's great, Ernest T. Sounds like your program is one that is taking the proper precautions and the educational efforts needed to prevent these avoidable deaths from occurring. Now, if we can just get everyone to do this, I would bet the occurrence of such tragedies would fall tremendously. I think overall we agree.

However, if you think all or even most of the HS football programs out there are as aware and conscientious as the way you describe yours, then I think it would be you on that slippery slope.

sinton66
06-20-2009, 01:19 AM
EDUCATING the kids is the key to it. They have to be able to recognize the signs themselves before it reaches critical stage. Watching from a distance, dehydration is very difficult to spot. We did training on this for our Scouts for hiking, backpacking, cycling, etc. during the summer months.

wimbo_pro
06-20-2009, 01:24 AM
That brings up an interesting question...anyone know if there is a pattern to what part of the country it is most common? Obviously the south and southwest would be the hottest (duh), but believe me, it gets downright hot in August in places like NY, Pa., NJ, Oh., etc...not to mention Florida, for gods sake.

I wouldnt be surprised if its more common up north, where they arent quite as acclimated to the hot weather as we are. Just guessing though.

sinton66
06-20-2009, 01:33 AM
I've never researched it, but I would think it would be more common in hotter and more humid climates due to the sweat factor. As a kid, all we ever did was take salt tablets and drink water in Sinton. We had to do that before we went outside and during breaks. August in coastal areas can be plumb miserable, but as you said we were acclimated to it already..

sinton66
06-20-2009, 01:50 AM
I just read this on Weather.com:
Facts About Extreme Heat
5:22 PM EST 2/5/2009

Extreme heat can occur in many areas of the country. However, people respond differently based on their place of residence, the precautions they take, and their personal susceptibility to heat.

In regions of high humidity, excessive heat can make being outside unbearable. In regions of low humidity, the most common human response to extreme heat is dehydration.

Low humidity might mean you don't notice how much you're sweating because it evaporates faster and leads to dehydration quicker. You might be on to something.

SintonFan
06-20-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm sorry, but almost all kids play video games indoors. The kids do this alot!:nerd: