PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions for State Bound "Thingy"

CHS_CG
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
So I have came up with an idea for the state bound "thingy" we do every year, but it will depend on the people of the downlow.

My idea is to make a quilt with teams logo's on them. The part the depends on us is I would need one person from each town to agree to send me a shirt/logo from a shirt so I could put them all together. I would put other fabric around them with space for everybody to sign from that town. If I were not to get a shirt/logo from any given town, there will be a space in the middle with the 3adl logo on it for those towns to sign.

Now I wouldnt quilt it till AFTER football season, bc as you know it can get heavy and expensive to ship. We would do an auction to see who would get it at the end of the season, and the profit would go to the downlow to help keep us running.

Please vote and let us know what you think, and if you would be willing to participate.

Electus Unus
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
stick with the shirt

jason
06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
its gone downhill since the first one...

CHS_CG
06-18-2009, 04:08 PM
What does that have to do with anything in this thread?? I asked for opinions on if we should do this idea or stick with the flag/shirt idea.. not that you are "unhappy" with the SB since the first one.

ccmom
06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I think it's fab idea and would be happy to send you an emblem for Abilene Wylie. I would offer to help you quilt it, but trust me, that would not be good!

Ranger Mom
06-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by jason
its gone downhill since the first one...

Actually....it's gone pretty well every year. Except for this past year, I think every year before it we have had some bonehead (yes...that includes your Krystal) that couldn't manage to send it off to the next person on the list for one reason or another!

Talena...I am kinda confused about how you want to do this!

Are we not signing anything this season?

LH Panther Mom
06-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Talena...I am kinda confused about how you want to do this!

Are we not signing anything this season?
I'm confused too! I thought she said to me last night there would be plenty of room for signing. :confused: :confused:

Ranger Mom
06-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm confused too! I thought she said to me last night there would be plenty of room for signing. :confused: :confused:

She brought up something about signing the middle with the 3A downlow logo if there wasn't a shirt/logo for that team......Im so conufsed!!!

I don't understand what....if anything....we are taking with us to sign.

CHS_CG
06-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I would back each of the logo's with additional fabic which would leave room for people from that town to sign around their teams logo. If a town/team didnt send a logo/shirt, I can just put an area in the middle(with the 3adl logo) where people from those towns would sign.

LH Panther Mom
06-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I would back each of the logo's with additional fabic which would leave room for people from that town to sign around their teams logo. If a town/team didnt send a logo/shirt, I can just put an area in the middle(with the 3adl logo) where people from those towns would sign.
But if it's not travelling, there's no signing! :doh:

pirate4state
06-18-2009, 10:42 PM
But if it's not travelling, there's no signing! :doh: It IS traveling. She wants the shirts and/or logos to be sent NOW, so she can sew them together (if I understand right) and then that will get sent around for signatures.

It would just be a thin fabric (think flat sheet) that would be mailed from poster to poster.

Am I right?

CHS_CG
06-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It IS traveling. She wants the shirts and/or logos to be sent NOW, so she can sew them together (if I understand right) and then that will get sent around for signatures.

It would just be a thin fabric (think flat sheet) that would be mailed from poster to poster.

Am I right?

Yes it would be the top layer only that I would do now then mail out, get it back at the end, quilt it, auction it, and mail it out to the winner.

Electus Unus
06-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Wonder what percent of people know/understand how hard it is to make a quilt?

Ranger Mom
06-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus

What does it matter? They aren't the ones having to make it!

Electus Unus
06-19-2009, 10:19 AM
What does it matter? They aren't the ones having to make it! exactly....I use the acronym

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

pirate4state
06-19-2009, 10:21 AM
exactly....I use the acronym

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

We like

M ind
Y our
O wn
B usiness

:D

Ranger Mom
06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
exactly....I use the acronym

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

I've never seen you offer to make anything!!

So yeah........MYOB!!:tongue: :tongue:

Electus Unus
06-19-2009, 11:04 AM
I've never seen you offer to make anything!!

So yeah........MYOB!!:tongue: :tongue: That is because my making skills are so insane you'll all be baffled to a vegetative state which I would never wish upon anyone.:p

Ranger Mom
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM
That is because my making skills are so insane you'll all be baffled to a vegetative state which I would never wish upon anyone.:p

Kinda like some of your posts??:thinking:

CHS_CG
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM

I know exactly how hard it is. My aunt is a quilt maker and my best friends grandmother is a quilt maker. She has her own shop here in town and its where I do all my sewing (if I need to sew something) and I have helped her make many quilts.

I got this so :hand: :tongue:

Electus Unus
06-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Kinda like some of your posts??:thinking: Exactly its euphoric. lol

pirate4state
06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Exactly its euphoric. lol You really like to leave no doubt, huh?

:kiss: :D

TheDOCTORdre
06-19-2009, 04:45 PM
sounds too complicated keep it to the shirt or flag IMO...

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Yes it would be the top layer only that I would do now then mail out, get it back at the end, quilt it, auction it, and mail it out to the winner.
Okay, so how big (l x w) is the top layer going to be? I'm presuming you're talking about roughly 4-6" square/rectangle from each shirt, right? So how many squares would you be sewing together? 30? 40? More?

CHS_CG
06-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Okay, so how big (l x w) is the top layer going to be? I'm presuming you're talking about roughly 4-6" square/rectangle from each shirt, right? So how many squares would you be sewing together? 30? 40? More?

it would really depend on how many logos I had.

I had a good idea brought up by somebody is to have them signed before they are sent by posters bc not all the towns/teams get the shirt during the season... but that would leave us with nothing to sign at games I dont know.. its up to yall.. I just threw the idea out there.

sinton66
06-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I guess you could get volunteers in the towns that want to participate to collect the sigs at their games and then send the square to you. Seems like that might be easier than shipping the whole thing around everywhere, taking a chance on it getting "delayed" and missing a game or two and everyone getting all upset over it.;)

Once assembled, we could take some quality pics and put them up on the website. Overall, I really like the basic idea if you're sure you're up for it.

CHS_CG
06-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I am.. its up to everybody else though. What else do I have to do right now anyway, besides look for jobs that arent there.

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I guess you could get volunteers in the towns that want to participate to collect the sigs at their games and then send the square to you.
That's what I thought might be a good idea. I'm not sure that 20-30, 6"x6" squares sewn together is going to be doable for shipping. :thinking:

CHS_CG
06-19-2009, 09:59 PM
That's what I thought might be a good idea. I'm not sure that 20-30, 6"x6" squares sewn together is going to be doable for shipping. :thinking:

"with the US postal service, if it fits, it ships. New flat rate boxes under 70lbs, if it fits, it ships"

sinton66
06-19-2009, 10:00 PM
I am.. its up to everybody else though. What else do I have to do right now anyway, besides look for jobs that arent there.

Well, hopefully that situation will improve for you sooner than later.

Ranger Mom
06-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I guess you could get volunteers in the towns that want to participate to collect the sigs at their games and then send the square to you. Seems like that might be easier than shipping the whole thing around everywhere, taking a chance on it getting "delayed" and missing a game or two and everyone getting all upset over it.;)

Once assembled, we could take some quality pics and put them up on the website. Overall, I really like the basic idea if you're sure you're up for it.

That's a good idea!!

GreenMonster
06-25-2009, 12:17 AM
If everyone actually sends in a shirt it's gonna be one big ass quilt. 4 to 6 inch squares will not be big enough for most logos, more like 8 to 10 inch squares unless everyone sends in toddler shirts. The bigger this thing is the harder and costlier it's going to be to ship. Has anyone taken the potential shipping problems into account on this idea? I think t-shirt or flag is still the way to go. Just my $.02.

LH Panther Mom
06-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If everyone actually sends in a shirt it's gonna be one big ass quilt. 4 to 6 inch squares will not be big enough for most logos, more like 8 to 10 inch squares unless everyone sends in toddler shirts. The bigger this thing is the harder and costlier it's going to be to ship. Has anyone taken the potential shipping problems into account on this idea?
That's what I was thinking, too.

Ranger Mom
06-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If everyone actually sends in a shirt it's gonna be one big ass quilt. 4 to 6 inch squares will not be big enough for most logos, more like 8 to 10 inch squares unless everyone sends in toddler shirts. The bigger this thing is the harder and costlier it's going to be to ship. Has anyone taken the potential shipping problems into account on this idea? I think t-shirt or flag is still the way to go. Just my $.02.

Just to clarify....if I understood this correctly. The only time the quilt would be "Shipped" is when it was completed and the lucky recipient got it.

Otherwise, the 8 X 10 squares (I agree, 4 X 6 is way too small) would be what was taken to the game, signed, and then sent to Talena to hold until she received those from everyone that was going to send them.

LH Panther Mom
06-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Otherwise, the 8 X 10 squares (I agree, 4 X 6 is way too small) would be what was taken to the game, signed, and then sent to Talena to hold until she received those from everyone that was going to send them.
Ohhhhhhh!!!!!!! I thought she was sewing them all together first, then it would travel, then she'd do the quilting after the season is over. I wondered how it was going to be "sheet" size. :doh:

Ranger Mom
06-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Ohhhhhhh!!!!!!! I thought she was sewing them all together first, then it would travel, then she'd do the quilting after the season is over. I wondered how it was going to be "sheet" size. :doh:

I could be wrong...it HAS happened before!!!:D :D

SintonFan
07-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Why not use both sides of the quilt?

LH Panther Mom
07-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I could be wrong...it HAS happened before!!!:D :D
I think she needs to get about 15-20 t-shirts together so she'll get what we (some of us) are talking about. (And I'm not so sure about it happening before, but there's a first time for everything. ;) )

Ranger Mom
07-02-2009, 11:26 PM

I have been confused the ENTIRE time!!

I thought we were just taking a logo from a shirt to a game....having whoever was there sign in...and just sending that to you!!

I didn't realize we were sending the entire top sewn together out!!!

See Deb....I WAS wrong!!!!

AP Panther Fan
07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Just to clarify....if I understood this correctly. The only time the quilt would be "Shipped" is when it was completed and the lucky recipient got it.

Sounds like this makes the most sense. Everyone have their own little signing party on their 8x10 square and then mail it to Talena. I think it would be faster, cheaper and look nice when done.

Not to mention, it would be a cool auction item. Hopefully the winner of the auction is lucky enough to play past Thanksgiving and into cooler weather where they could proudly use it at a game.

I think you need to have some consistent guidelines on what gets sent in though so the quilt looks good. New, not faded, t-shirt - not jersey fabric etc... Oh and everyone would have to sign away from the edge to allow for the seam. Seems like a great idea...

GrTigers6
07-29-2009, 05:10 AM
I think it would be the easiest to have the teams sign the shirts and then send them in. You can count Glen Rose in either way you do it. Just let me know what you need. GREAT IDEA!!!:clap: :thumbsup:

CHS_CG
08-01-2009, 07:53 PM
So I like the idea of everybody just sending me signed squares.. It would be much easier, and it wouldnt be such a hassle for shipping.

We could also do a flag or shirt too if we want to have something traditional to send to different games.

Still if we want to do this I need to know.

CHS_CG
08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
did we decide what we wanted to do?? Times a tickin

Ranger Mom
08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
did we decide what we wanted to do?? Times a tickin

If you go by the poll results....the answer is "no" to the quilt.

If a Shirt or flag is what is wanted...then we should hurry up and figure out something....only 2 weeks left before the first game!!

CHS_CG
08-13-2009, 10:15 AM
That is what I am saying lol. I didn't know if the people who previously voted no would change their mind if it was just shirts sent to me all season that were signed instead of lugging a huge quilt and shipping it. Oh well, What ever we are gunna do everybody needs to put their 2 cents in so somebody can get something together...

RM do you think we need another thread?

Ranger Mom
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
That is what I am saying lol. I didn't know if the people who previously voted no would change their mind if it was just shirts sent to me all season that were signed instead of lugging a huge quilt and shipping it. Oh well, What ever we are gunna do everybody needs to put their 2 cents in so somebody can get something together...

RM do you think we need another thread?

More than likely!