PDA

View Full Version : Over half of our football team....

VWG
06-18-2009, 07:59 AM
drinks alcohol on the weekends.

How would you respond to this? How should a coaching staff respond to this? What about parents? What about the parents that would allow this?

jason
06-18-2009, 08:03 AM
suspend the crappy players for a few games and make the starters do some extra running at practice or something like that.....

star power baby......

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by VWG

How would you respond to this? How should a coaching staff respond to this? What about parents? What about the parents that would allow this?

High School students drinking on the weekends????? I find that very hard to believe!

rockdale80
06-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by VWG

In Texas??? :confused: :confused:

STANG RED
06-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm not defending it by any means, but I graduated 30 years ago, and I'm sure the numbers were about the same then. And my dad has told me enought stories about when he was a boy, thats leads me to believe it was about the same in the 40s and 50s. Boys will be boys. Always have been, always will be. We just have to hope and pray they'll survive those crazy years.
Honestly, I have no idea how I survived my teens and early 20s. But I do know I learned lots of valuable lessons that still affect my life every day.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-18-2009, 08:39 AM
its gonna happen whether we like it or not! just hope ur kid doesnt and if others have a problem talk to them...i talk to my bros friends and a lot of them have stopped because they said someone has "warned" them about the dangers of it!

pirate4state
06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by VWG

I'm not saying it's right, but are people surprised by this? I mean, really?

As a parent all you can do is talk to them and educate them on the dangers of drinking.

If a coach has PROOF that his players are drinking, then I believe they should be suspended for a few games and everyone should have to run.

I'm with Stang Red on this one, wrong or right, it's been happening for YEARS!

Ranger Mom
06-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Don't most athletic groups have some kind of code of conduct pact they have have to sign that outlines what happens if they get caught??

I know ours does!!

BreckTxLonghorn
06-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Don't most athletic groups have some kind of code of conduct pact they have have to sign that outlines what happens if they get caught??

I know ours does!!

Randall Floyd! You are in need of a serious attitude adjustment!

pirate4state
06-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Randall Floyd! You are in need of a serious attitude adjustment! HAHA

"do not engage in sex after midnight..."

Dude...classic!

Ex-Tiger2005
06-18-2009, 09:24 AM

I know ours does!!

i know we do in snyder but rules are always broken every year it seems!

Emerson1
Over half seems like a lot

Phil C
No Way! That is against the Law!

Bullaholic
06-18-2009, 09:29 AM
One of those black & white issues----If you say that there should be a zero tolerence policy with stiff penalties, then you are labeled a hardliner. If you say this has been going on for ages and that boys will be boys, you are labeled permissive and unresponsible. This is another issue that must be ultimately laid at the feet of the player's parents. If your kid is drinking---it is up to you as a parent to deal with it in the fashion you feel is best for your child. IMO, the school system is the second line of defense.

TexasHSFB
06-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I'd say over 75% of HS people I know drink.

Big deal. Almost everybody does. I know parents who buy alcohol for their kids. :doh:

It's w/e. As long as they dont drive and they sleep where they drink at, im cool with it.

Maroon87
06-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
No Way! That is against the Law!

Just more victims of society, Phil...;)

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I would rather my child have some kind of perspective about drinking BEFORE he goes off into college where drinking is the culture. I know it's a different world now but if my coach had threatened me for drinking in my out of school time I would have laughed in his face. And I believe to this day that what my child does out of school is none of the schools business. It will be hard enough for them once they become adults and a 25K a year employer expects drug testing and polygraphs. Let the kids be kids!

BaseballUmp
06-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Coaches would always tell us not to do anything stupid on the weekends. We all knew what they meant and nothing major ever happened. Maybe a MIP or 5 but those 60 poles the morning after in baseball sure did them in.

garciap77
06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
One of those black & white issues----If you say that there should be a zero tolerence policy with stiff penalties, then you are labeled a hardliner. If you say this has been going on for ages and that boys will be boys, you are labeled permissive and unresponsible. This is another issue that must be ultimately laid at the feet of the player's parents. If your kid is drinking---it is up to you as a parent to deal with it in the fashion you feel is best for your child. IMO, the school system is the second line of defense.

:iagree:

VWG
06-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I would rather my child have some kind of perspective about drinking BEFORE he goes off into college where drinking is the culture. I know it's a different world now but if my coach had threatened me for drinking in my out of school time I would have laughed in his face. And I believe to this day that what my child does out of school is none of the schools business. It will be hard enough for them once they become adults and a 25K a year employer expects drug testing and polygraphs. Let the kids be kids!

So, what you're saying is that your son has a few beers as a freshman in HS on the weekends. That's ok with you and nobody at the HS should care that your son who is 14-16 years old is drinking on the weekend?

Emerson1
06-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Isn't it legal for the parents to buy their kids alcohol as long as they are there with them? Pretty sure that is the Texas law

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by VWG
So, what you're saying is that your son has a few beers as a freshman in HS on the weekends. That's ok with you and nobody at the HS should care that your son who is 14-16 years old is drinking on the weekend?

I'm saying that it's not the schools responsibilty or business to pass judgement on what my son does on the weekends. Much less apply punishment for it. A kid drinking on Sat night has no impact on school activities so is outside of the schools range of authority. I know a lot of coaches forbid drinking, smoking or smokeless tabacco and get away with it but legally they shouldn't have a leg to stand on. But in a society where people are forced to take drug tests and credit checks for menial, nonsecurity jobs it doesn't surprise me that some would want schools to police our children. I don't!

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Isn't it legal for the parents to buy their kids alcohol as long as they are there with them? Pretty sure that is the Texas law

You need a signed permission slip from the school!!:doh: :doh:

BreckTxLonghorn
06-18-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm saying that it's not the schools responsibilty or business to pass judgement on what my son does on the weekends. Much less apply punishment for it. A kid drinking on Sat night has no impact on school activities so is outside of the schools range of authority. I know a lot of coaches forbid drinking, smoking or smokeless tabacco and get away with it but legally they shouldn't have a leg to stand on. But in a society where people are forced to take drug tests and credit checks for menial, nonsecurity jobs it doesn't surprise me that some would want schools to police our children. I don't!

I agree with the school as a whole - a student who does nothing extracurricularly should not be suspended for actions outside of it.

HOWEVER, I do think that once a student agrees to do any sort of extracurricular activities, whether it be band, UIL Academics, One Act Play, or sports; that you are subject to 'off the field' punishments. Like it or not, that child represents the school in those activities as well as the respective coaches and sponsors in every action he/she does. Their actions can positively or negatively affect the reputation of the school, the activities, and the coaches who run them. For that matter, I believe they have a right.

I understand letting kids be kids, but my opinion is if they choose to take on more responsibility as an adult, then they need to adhere to a higher standard. Maybe not an adults' standard, but not 'just a kid' standards either.

Just my two cents.

Bullaholic
06-18-2009, 03:22 PM

Most school extracurricular organizations require participants to sign a pledge not to drink or use any banned substance as a prerequisite for membership or participation. There is usually an automatic "death penalty" clause for dismissal from the extracurricular organization for violations. This does not affect any other area of a student's life outside of membership or participation in these organizations.

pirate4state
06-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm saying that it's not the schools responsibilty or business to pass judgement on what my son does on the weekends. Much less apply punishment for it. A kid drinking on Sat night has no impact on school activities so is outside of the schools range of authority. I know a lot of coaches forbid drinking, smoking or smokeless tabacco and get away with it but legally they shouldn't have a leg to stand on. But in a society where people are forced to take drug tests and credit checks for menial, nonsecurity jobs it doesn't surprise me that some would want schools to police our children. I don't! LOL

But it's not okay for Tony Romo to have fun in the off season? mkay...

Bullaholic
06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
GMTA, BreckTxL :D

Ranger Mom
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
LOL

Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!! Good one!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

sinton66
06-18-2009, 03:31 PM

Since EXTRA CURRICULAR athletic participation is a priviledge, not a right, the school and/or AD DO have the right to set the rules whether you like it or not. Most schools do have a "Code of Conduct" athletes are required to sign to participate. If one agrees to it and then gets caught breaking it, one pays the price.

Bullaholic
06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Since EXTRA CURRICULAR athletic participation is a priviledge, not a right, the school and/or AD DO have the right to set the rules whether you like it or not. Most schools do have a "Code of Conduct" athletes are required to sign to participate. If one agrees to it and then gets caught breaking it, one pays the price.

Kinda like the 3ADL---right 66'? :D

sinton66
06-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Kinda like the 3ADL---right 66'? :D

No. no. no We're MUCH more lenient on drinking.:Dj/k, yes it's basically the same thing.;)

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 03:37 PM
LOL

I can't even justify this with a response....................... But i will!

:D :D

Page 12 of my "How to communicate with a moron" manual says I should ask you if you consider these two examples to be the same...: If you answer YES then i should call for backup.

Bullaholic
06-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Page 12 of my "How to communicate with a moron" manual says I should ask you if you consider these two examples to be the same...: If you answer YES then i should call for backup.

:1popcorn:

You ever "danced" with P4S before, Farmer? :D

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 03:42 PM

Great point! But what if the parents of the child consider the drinking acceptable? Do we just accept another person's interpretation of what acceptable "Conduct" is? Have we granted the coach/admin the authority to make this decision in our place when we hired them for their position? Just asking.

wildstangs
06-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Athlete is representing his or her team/school/community. If that athlete breaks the law, it can damage their teams image and goals. Of course a coach has a right to punish that athlete, especially if an athlete has signed a policy restricting illegal activities. Athletics are a choice, just like obeying the rules. If you fail to obey the rules, consequences must be paid.

Now, is it going to stop? No. But be prepared to face the consequences if you are caught.

Besides, people under 21 can't legally drink alcohol. It just like speeding, robbery, murder, etc. Break the law - face the consequences.

Pick6
06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Great point! But what if the parents of the child consider the drinking acceptable? Do we just accept another person's interpretation of what acceptable "Conduct" is? Have we granted the coach/admin the authority to make this decision in our place when we hired them for their position? Just asking.

Yes we have granted the coach/admin the authority to make the decision who plays on "their" team. It's their team so the players must obide by their "Conduct".

jambo67
06-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Kids need to be conditioned to believe that drinking is no big deal. I can't tell you how many dudes I knew that had strict teetotal parents that denied booze in high school. Then they got to college and binged drank out the wazoo! I saw them in the Military as well, spent so much money on pitchers they didnt even have enough money for haircuts.

sinton66
06-18-2009, 03:56 PM

If the athlete signed the code of conduct, yes, you accept it. The "contract" is between the athlete and the school. If the parent thinks it's acceptable behavior, it would be their responsibility to see the kid doesn't get caught(ie, drink only at home in their presence).

BreckTxLonghorn
06-18-2009, 03:57 PM

You play a great devil's advocate :).

Again, just my opinion, but like I said, if you choose to do the extracurricular activity, you choose to do their rules, and their definition of what 'acceptable' is. Kind of like a job in a beginner way.

Example: If you were in high school and your parents were okay with you drinking. You work for a grocery store with a 'conduct clause' in their operating procedure which you agreed to. You get an MIP, and they fire you for violation of the cause. Are you saying they have no right to do that, because it's okay with your parents? No, because you agreed to the clause to participate in their activity (work) and to do so by their rules, they had their right.

garciap77
06-18-2009, 03:59 PM
LOL

Who is Tony Romo? Does he play for one of them teams from the valley or I mean Valle?:D

;)

Ranger Mom
06-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs

Besides, people under 21 can't legally drink alcohol. It just like speeding, robbery, murder, etc. Break the law - face the consequences.

TEXAS LAW!!!

106.04 Consumption of Alcohol by a Minor
(a-b) A minor commits an offense if they consume alcohol UNLESS they are in the visible presence of, and have the consent of their adult parent, legal guardian, or spouse.

My 20 y/o daughter can drink with her 22 y/o husband at a restaurant, the waiter has to hand the drink to her husband and he then hands it to her.

jambo67
06-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Once Statute is violated there is a problem and the law/clause is enforceable. If a parent allows access to a beer in the fridge and the parent deems the amount consumed acceptaple then it stays in the home and all is good.

I. B. Watching
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Just half? That's probably pretty good.

wildstangs
06-18-2009, 04:51 PM
TEXAS LAW!!!

(a-b) A minor commits an offense if they consume alcohol UNLESS they are in the visible presence of, and have the consent of their adult parent, legal guardian, or spouse.

My 20 y/o daughter can drink with her 22 y/o husband at a restaurant, the waiter has to hand the drink to her husband and he then hands it to her.

Yes I know that. Apples and Oranges. How many 16-17-18 year old kids that play high school sports are married to someone over 21. Also, most of the kids that get busted at parties (violating their contracts with coaches) are not in the presence of parents. Now, someone had to but the alcohol for the party (usually a parent), and might be at the house where the party is taking place, but that doesn't give the right to said parent to provide alcohol to all the other kids at the party.

I had beer at home as a minor, but knew that drinking anywhere else could lead to consequences.

Electus Unus
06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
High School students drinking on the weekends????? I find that very hard to believe! Is my sarcasm meter broken? lol

I am more concerned about drug use in HS than I am about drinking.

garciap77
06-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Is my sarcasm meter broken? lol

I am more concerned about drug use in HS than I am about drinking.

They both kill teens!

lulu
06-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFB
[ As long as they dont drive and they sleep where they drink at, im cool with it. [/B]

You gotta be kidding!!!!!:doh: :doh:

sinton66
06-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by lulu
You gotta be kidding!!!!!:doh: :doh:

Considering the source of that comment, bet not.

Electus Unus
06-18-2009, 05:45 PM
just look at their facebook/myspace pictures for proof. They are dumb and post the crap.

pirate4state
06-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Please see my signature for my response. :)

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 07:27 PM
The whole "code of conduct" argument is bogus because a kid under 18 cannot sign a binding legal contract. It's nothing but a tool used by coaches/schools to force their views on the kids. If the parent believes his child's conduct is acceptable but the coach doesn't how is it ok with everyone that the coach overrules the parent? And it's not the coaches team or the schools team. The team belongs to the players and the community and the coach is a care taker.

How would everyone feel if the coach told his players they wouldn't play on his team if they missed church on sundays or if they didn't listen to classical music? Ok with you if it's on a "Code of Conduct"?
How's that for Devils Advocate?

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Please see my signature for my response. :)

Backup has been called! Just stay away from sharp objects and open flames until they arrive.....:D

pirate4state
06-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Backup has been called! Just stay away from sharp objects and open flames until they arrive.....:D

I'll send them back to you. They really shouldn't ever leave your side.

wildstangs
06-18-2009, 07:38 PM
How would everyone feel if the coach told his players they wouldn't play on his team if they missed church on sundays or if they didn't listen to classical music? Ok with you if it's on a "Code of Conduct"?

Your just reaching now. Don't forget, athletics is a privilege, not a right. You get to play IF you pass your classes. You get to play IF you attend school. You get to play IF your coach puts you in.

If your child signs a consent form agreeing to not get caught BREAKING THE LAW, then they are agreeing to face the consequences. If they break the rules, then they have a couple of options. Complete the punishment, or quit the team to avoid punishment.

Any parent I know would agree to the coach punishing their child if they had indeed broke the law. High school kids are old enough to make choices, thus they are old enough to accept the consequences.

Farmersfan
06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Your just reaching now. Don't forget, athletics is a privilege, not a right. You get to play IF you pass your classes. You get to play IF you attend school. You get to play IF your coach puts you in.

If your child signs a consent form agreeing to not get caught BREAKING THE LAW, then they are agreeing to face the consequences. If they break the rules, then they have a couple of options. Complete the punishment, or quit the team to avoid punishment.

Any parent I know would agree to the coach punishing their child if they had indeed broke the law. High school kids are old enough to make choices, thus they are old enough to accept the consequences.

It is a reach isn't it? It's hard to argue this side of the equation. Let's switch for a while?????

rockdale80
06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I am with FF on this one, but then again I think the drinking age should be 18 or the draft age should be 21. They shouldnt conflict with one another. Drinking and driving is bad but I think some of the laws surrounding it are ridiculous sometimes, especially considering you can get a public intoxication citation in a bar... MADD is out of control and has made it a mission to outlaw alcohol all together. This is an issue that should be handled by the PARENTS. It is like religion. If people want their kids to abstain from alcohol then they should preach that at home too....

dont leave it up to the school.

If I would have caught drinking in HS, not playing on Friday night was the least of my worries. Actually, after my parents finished with me I probably wouldnt have been physically able to. :D

TheDOCTORdre
06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
A couple of things I'd like to point out... ya'll are making it out as if the kids are only drinking on the weekends and come on lets be serious folks its going on all week long and that does have an affect on things, I remember a few years ago hearing about a team that had a playoff game on a saturday and went out drinking on friday night and that next day lost because some players were still feeling the effects of the night before. You gotta hold yourself to a higher code of conduct when your not just representing yourself because your actions dont just effect you they also affect your team and thats what kept me from drinking when i was playing football in high school (as for the rest of the school year i have no comment) Its gonna happen because well that just how it is, doesnt make it right.

TheDOCTORdre
06-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80

If I would have caught drinking in HS, not playing on Friday night was the least of my worries. Actually, after my parents finished with me I probably wouldnt have been physically able to. :D

i agree with that totally and sadly it wouldnt be because my dad wore me out...it would have been my mother

rockdale80
06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
A couple of things I'd like to point out... ya'll are making it out as if the kids are only drinking on the weekends and come on lets be serious folks its going on all week long and that does have an affect on things, I remember a few years ago hearing about a team that had a playoff game on a saturday and went out drinking on friday night and that next day lost because some players were still feeling the effects of the night before. You gotta hold yourself to a higher code of conduct when your not just representing yourself because your actions dont just effect you they also affect your team and thats what kept me from drinking when i was playing football in high school (as for the rest of the school year i have no comment) Its gonna happen because well that just how it is, doesnt make it right.

I am not saying it should be acceptable, but that the school shouldnt dictate actions away from school activities and during school. I understand representing the school but where do you draw the line and the school is no longer the authority? I think a truly dedicated athlete should abstain not only for their own performance, but because they have a team that is going to depend on them.

rockdale80
06-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Problem there is alot of kids dont have parents as good as yours. Alot have parents who couldn't give a damn. That's where we come in. True, MADD is out of control, but in many cases coaches are the only thing standing between the kid and prison. Hell, just two weeks ago I had to pick up one of our kids b/c his mom had been pulled over taking him to school and she had warrants, so they arrested her and he had no way to get to school. Obviously, his parents are keeping up with him very close.

I agree 100% and I commend coaches that mentor their athletes and are role models for them. I think some of the biggest influences outside of my parents were my coaches and their impact was tremendous in the man that I have grown into. However, a standing rule from the stand point of a school punishment I dont agree with. I cannot argue your point and I am not going to try. Hats off to you coach.

rockdale80
06-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
i agree with that totally and sadly it wouldnt be because my dad wore me out...it would have been my mother

I would have received two :)

rockdale80
06-18-2009, 08:17 PM
That's the thing. It's not school punishment. It's the same reason schools can't force drug testing but the athletic dept can. You dont wanna do it, you can get out.

Fair enough and I understand the point, but if you are trying to mentor a student athlete how do you think they will end up if they no longer have your positive reinforcement as a coach?

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 06:56 AM
You gotta be kidding!!!!!:doh: :doh: So you want HS kids to abstain totally? Great. Keep wishing and good luck with that.

Learn to take what you can get with HS kids. They're going to drink whether you like it or not. As long as they're not breaking stuff/Driving/ etc then it's not that big of a deal.

If I was you, I'd be more concerned with drugs because kids are becoming WAY more experimental and the kids who use drugs are expanding BIGTIME.

Much bigger concerns there than some HS kids downing a few beers at their friends house.

Pick6
06-19-2009, 07:35 AM
So you want HS kids to abstain totally? Great. Keep wishing and good luck with that.

Learn to take what you can get with HS kids. They're going to drink whether you like it or not. As long as they're not breaking stuff/Driving/ etc then it's not that big of a deal.

If I was you, I'd be more concerned with drugs because kids are becoming WAY more experimental and the kids who use drugs are expanding BIGTIME.

Much bigger concerns there than some HS kids downing a few beers at their friends house.

Me and my friends never drank in HS. In fact I've still never had a drink. Why shouldn't I expect my kids to do the same. I expect my kids friends not to drink and if they do, my kids won't hang out with them anymore.

I will not learn to get what I can with HS kids. Mine will learn what they can get from me.

ronwx5x
06-19-2009, 07:43 AM
So you want HS kids to abstain totally? Great. Keep wishing and good luck with that.

Spoken like a true high schooler. Why don't we just accept drugs and sex also? After all, we can't stop it and every teenager is guilty of all the above.

lulu
06-19-2009, 07:53 AM
The whole "code of conduct" argument is bogus because a kid under 18 cannot sign a binding legal contract. It's nothing but a tool used by coaches/schools to force their views on the kids. If the parent believes his child's conduct is acceptable but the coach doesn't how is it ok with everyone that the coach overrules the parent? And it's not the coaches team or the schools team. The team belongs to the players and the community and the coach is a care taker.

Then perhaps the Parent should sign it giving permission to the punishment. We all have to be held accountable for our actions and it needs to taught early.

garciap77
06-19-2009, 07:58 AM

"it's not that big of a deal" UNTILL SOMEONE DIES!

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Me and my friends never drank in HS. In fact I've still never had a drink. Why shouldn't I expect my kids to do the same. I expect my kids friends not to drink and if they do, my kids won't hang out with them anymore.

I will not learn to get what I can with HS kids. Mine will learn what they can get from me.

And then they leave your nest and go out into the REAL world. Hopefully they will be well rounded enough to adjust. Most aren't!
I have a real problem with employers that require drug testing or credit checks when the job is a normal everyday job. A person can smoke pot on the weekends (not me) and be a perfectly normal person. It's none of the employers business unless it is done ON THE JOB!!!!!. The kind of thinking that would allow a coach to suspend a football player because he did something on his free time that 90% of the world does and has no bearing on his performance on the field is why our society has these ridiculous rules. It is common place now for a employer to ask for a college degree for a mid to low level paying job even if the degree has no relevance to the job. It's all done under the idea of testing morals, committment and dedication. All these things should be examined by employers while the employee is doing his job. (not by credit checks, drug screens and polygragphs). We are becoming a very, very judgemental and intolerate society.

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Then perhaps the Parent should sign it giving permission to the punishment. We all have to be held accountable for our actions and it needs to taught early.

And if the parent decides it merits no punishment?

And we all should be held accountable for our actions. If our actions are deemed inappropriate! I'm just saying the SCHOOL is not the ones who should decide that. (unless it takes place at the school or during school time).

Pick6
06-19-2009, 08:08 AM
And if the parent decides it merits no punishment?

And we all should be held accountable for our actions. If our actions are deemed inappropriate! I'm just saying the SCHOOL is not the ones who should decide that. (unless it takes place at the school or during school time).

Can you really be this moronic or do you just like to argue?

lulu
06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I am with FF on this one, but then again I think the drinking age should be 18 or the draft age should be 21. They shouldnt conflict with one another. Drinking and driving is bad but I think some of the laws surrounding it are ridiculous sometimes, especially considering you can get a public intoxication citation in a bar... MADD is out of control and has made it a mission to outlaw alcohol all together. This is an issue that should be handled by the PARENTS. It is like religion. If people want their kids to abstain from alcohol then they should preach that at home too....

dont leave it up to the school.

I think it is people that are out of control. MADD is trying to make people aware of the problems and consequences of drinking.
And you are absolutely right about the Parents part in this matter.
Not only do they need to preach it they need to live it.
Handle your children at home and the school won't have to.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-19-2009, 08:14 AM
And then they leave your nest and go out into the REAL world. Hopefully they will be well rounded enough to adjust. Most aren't!
I have a real problem with employers that require drug testing or credit checks when the job is a normal everyday job. A person can smoke pot on the weekends (not me) and be a perfectly normal person. It's none of the employers business unless it is done ON THE JOB!!!!!. The kind of thinking that would allow a coach to suspend a football player because he did something on his free time that 90% of the world does and has no bearing on his performance on the field is why our society has these ridiculous rules. It is common place now for a employer to ask for a college degree for a mid to low level paying job even if the degree has no relevance to the job. It's all done under the idea of testing morals, committment and dedication. All these things should be examined by employers while the employee is doing his job. (not by credit checks, drug screens and polygragphs). We are becoming a very, very judgemental and intolerate society.

I think we just have a fundamental difference of opinion right here. It's fun to argue back and forth, but ultimately it's not gonna change anyone's minds. I personally have no problem with a polygraphing or drug screening ( I will admit I do see issues with credit checks). But if a company wants to check and make suer I don't break the law or I don't lie, I think they have a right. It's one thing for them to deny me an ability to go out and be social, but it's totally different if they don't want to have someone on the roster who is breaking the law and/or then lying about it to them.

Some people believe a foul is not a foul until the ref calls it. I disagree - it is what it is.t. Just because I know someone who knows how to stay away from getting caught while they do whatever they want, doesn't mean I want them working with me or for me.

lulu
06-19-2009, 08:17 AM

Really???? I think you should educate yourself on the dangers of alcohol. It is a drug. Or handn't you heard?

garciap77
06-19-2009, 08:18 AM

What do you mean by normal? An employer has every right to ensure people that are hired will not bring liabilities to the company. What an employee does on their time is their business, but if it reflects on the company in a negative way, then the employer has every right to fire them. Personally if I knew you did drugs I would not hire you even if it was just a "normal job".

lulu
06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
"it's not that big of a deal" UNTILL SOMEONE DIES!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
My sentiments exactly!!!!!

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Can you really be this moronic or do you just like to argue?

Once again you attack me instead answering the question. It's a very valid point. If you assume the school has a right to dictate behavior to your child while they are outside of school activities then you must also beleive they have the right to decide what is appropriate and what isn't. Did you ever see the movie Footloose? It was fictional but that kind of thing has been going on for centuries in this country. This is basically the same thing. A group of adults gets together and decides that they know better than you know as a parent what your child should be doing or not doing. In this case it only applies to extracurricular activities because that is the only area they can apply the (optional) tag to. Because they have the ability to force a "Code of Conduct" on the kid because the activity is optional they are basically forcing their opinions on the kid and the kid's parents. I have said this a million times on here but will say it one more time: If the crime/activity is bad enough to suspend the kid from extracirricular activities then it should also suspend them from attending the school in the first place. If the rule is used as a tool to protect the school and the other kids this is the only thing that can be done. If the rule is used to "FORCE" compliance then it must apply to all students and not just those playing football or band. If you can't see the irony in applying the rule to only those on the football team then you are the one being "moronic".......

Pick6
06-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Once again you attack me instead answering the question. It's a very valid point. If you assume the school has a right to dictate behavior to your child while they are outside of school activities then you must also beleive they have the right to decide what is appropriate and what isn't. Did you ever see the movie Footloose? It was fictional but that kind of thing has been going on for centuries in this country. This is basically the same thing. A group of adults gets together and decides that they know better than you know as a parent what your child should be doing or not doing. In this case it only applies to extracurricular activities because that is the only area they can apply the (optional) tag to. Because they have the ability to force a "Code of Conduct" on the kid because the activity is optional they are basically forcing their opinions on the kid and the kid's parents. I have said this a million times on here but will say it one more time: If the crime/activity is bad enough to suspend the kid from extracirricular activities then it should also suspend them from attending the school in the first place. If the rule is used as a tool to protect the school and the other kids this is the only thing that can be done. If the rule is used to "FORCE" compliance then it must apply to all students and not just those playing football or band. If you can't see the irony in applying the rule to only those on the football team then you are the one being "moronic".......

Moron, it's their game so it's their rules. If you don't like them, don't play. How hard is that to understand.

DDBooger
06-19-2009, 10:06 AM
LOL this got out of hand fast, AND we got a Footloose plug out of it! :D

Ranger Mom
06-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger

I haven't watched Footloose in YEARS and kinda forgot what the movie was about. Now I am gonna have to go rent it so I can see what FF is talking about!!:doh:

DDBooger
06-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I haven't watched Footloose in YEARS and kinda forgot what the movie was about. Now I am gonna have to go rent it so I can see what FF is talking about!!:doh: just a city boy teaching hillbillies how to dance LOL

pirate4state
06-19-2009, 10:23 AM

not surprising considering who is posting

Ranger Mom
06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
not surprising considering who is posting

Do you ever read certain people's posts on here and wonder if they are married and how their spouse/family/friends can stand them??

There are actually a couple I wonder if they have any friends at all.....except for whatever tidbits of affection we may inadvertently show them here!!:p

pirate4state
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Do you ever read certain people's posts on here and wonder if they are married and how their spouse/family/friends can stand them??

There are actually a couple I wonder if they have any friends at all.....except for whatever tidbits of affection we may inadvertently show them here!!:p

I used to, but I no longer care. :D

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
What do you mean by normal? An employer has every right to ensure people that are hired will not bring liabilities to the company. What an employee does on their time is their business, but if it reflects on the company in a negative way, then the employer has every right to fire them. Personally if I knew you did drugs I would not hire you even if it was just a "normal job".

How does a credit check tell an employer that the applicant WILL bring liabilities to the job????? It only tells what happened in the past not what will happen in the future. The employers opinions (ie-prejudices) determine what they think will happen. If this is agreeable with you then would it be agreeable if the employer decides he doesn't like Blacks, Hispanics or Women so he won't hire them? If he assumes a hispanic will bring "Liabilities" to the job should he be allowed to not hire them based on that?????

Of course if they are hiring a supervisor or someone in a position of authority then they have a right to try to establish that person's character but I still say they can't do that with drug screens or credit checks. You said if you knew I did drugs you would not hire me. That means you feel drug users are greater risks or lesser employees. There's no proof of that so isn't that basically YOUR prejudice making that determination. We have already decided as a society that we will not allow prejudices to be used to determine employment.

Bullaholic
06-19-2009, 10:39 AM
How does a credit check tell an employer that the applicant WILL bring liabilities to the job????? It only tells what happened in the past not what will happen in the future. The employers opinions (ie-prejudices) determine what they think will happen. If this is agreeable with you then would it be agreeable if the employer decides he doesn't like Blacks, Hispanics or Women so he won't hire them? If he assumes a hispanic will bring "Liabilities" to the job should he be allowed to not hire them based on that?????

Of course if they are hiring a supervisor or someone in a position of authority then they have a right to try to establish that person's character but I still say they can't do that with drug screens or credit checks. You said if you knew I did drugs you would not hire me. That means you feel drug users are greater risks or lesser employees. There's no proof of that so isn't that basically YOUR prejudice making that determination. We have already decided as a society that we will not allow prejudices to be used to determine employment.

OMG Farmer....I certainly hope you are sitting back and laughing when you post stuff like this---how do you get your keyboard to type that way? :D

I'll never argue opinions with you ,Farmer, as long as you don't try to present them as facts.

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Moron, it's their game so it's their rules. If you don't like them, don't play. How hard is that to understand.

So does this apply to everything or just when you want to prove your point?

There are a million examples of "Their games" that we as a society have passed laws and regulations on in the name of fairness and justice.
I know there was a day when the Bus company had "their Game" set up so that Blacks had to sit in the back of the bus. Ok with you? Blacks could have decided to NOT PLAY!
If Ford Motor company set "Their Game" up so that Hispanics worked in only the bad areas and made less money you would be ok with that? The Hispanics could simply choose NOT TO PLAY!

So perhaps you should think before calling someone names and making a stupid statement like that. Just a thought!

lulu
06-19-2009, 10:52 AM
OMG Farmer....I certainly hope you are sitting back and laughing when you post stuff like this---how do you get your keyboard to type that way? :D

I'll never argue opinions with you ,Farmer, as long as you don't try to present them as facts.

Well put. I read that and wanted to respond but I just could not come up with how to reply to such cra---.

Do you think if this person has a child he would choose a drug addict for them to date or someone with a criminal past when he could choose someone without that baggage. People do change but most employers (and parents) are not going to take that chance if it can be avoided. Smart choice I say.

Sorry Farmer but I think you lose this one. Nothing personal.

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 10:55 AM

It was the story of a preacher that forced his morals on the whole community. Kind of like a school board telling you how your kid will act outside of school.
But I've ruffled some feathers so I will conceed and bow out.

DDBooger
06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
It was the story of a preacher that forced his morals on the whole community. Kind of like a school board telling you how your kid will act outside of school.
But I've ruffled some feathers so I will conceed and bow out. ah, I wasn't making fun of it, I like the movie.

BleedOrange
06-19-2009, 10:58 AM

The credit check is important to employers whose employess have access to financial resources (cash, checks, etc.) You will find that most white collar crime was committed by those with financial problems. Those same individuals would have lower credit scores. By disqualifying them you eliminate corporate risk. I do believe that the corporations utilizing them for all jobs is a bit over the top. But the reality is it is their choice and should be. The analogy to prejudice/racism is just plain silly.

Pick6
06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
So does this apply to everything or just when you want to prove your point?

This thread started about school age kids drinking. You tried to make some stupid points and then changed it to jobs, not what the thread was about. If the kids want to play a game sponsored by the school, then the kids must meet all the criteria that is demanded from the school. It's not that hard for even the fair minded people to understand.

mwynn05
06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
In some communities(small german, czech) it is acceptable because of the culture and they will tell you that from the beginning.

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Well put. I read that and wanted to respond but I just could not come up with how to reply to such cra---.

Do you think if this person has a child he would choose a drug addict for them to date or someone with a criminal past when he could choose someone without that baggage. People do change but most employers (and parents) are not going to take that chance if it can be avoided. Smart choice I say.

Sorry Farmer but I think you lose this one. Nothing personal.

You are correct. But I never said "Drug Addict" or "Crimminal". I said credit problems or drug user on the weekends. What if a person is addicted to a prescription drug that they need for a cronic illness? Can a employer use that to decide to NOT hire them? Just wondering if you realize they are making the hiring decision based on a social stigma rather than true reason. But I'll let it go. Like someone else said it's fun to argue but it'll never change another persons mind.

Ranger Mom
06-19-2009, 11:03 AM
We are talking apples and oranges between Extracurricular activities and jobs!! :rolleyes:

Extracurricular activities are VOLUNTARY! There are guidelines you MUST follow to be able to participate in these VOLUNTARY activities.

If you, or your parents, don't agree with these guidelines, then don't participate.

For the life of me, I don't see what is so hard to understand about that!!!!

No one is forcing ANYONE to sign something against their will!!:doh: :dispntd:

DDBooger
06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
In some communities(small german, czech) it is acceptable because of the culture and they will tell you that from the beginning. Then they need to accept American culture, this is America not Germany and Czech Republic :rolleyes:

(I'm being sarcastic! :D )

pirate4state
06-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Then they need to accept American culture, this is America not Germany and Czech Republic :rolleyes:

(I'm being sarcastic! :D )

HAHA

44INAROW
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
we need a "tick tock" smiley............:nerd::hijacktd: :1popcorn:

lulu
06-19-2009, 11:25 AM
You are correct. But I never said "Drug Addict" or "Crimminal". I said credit problems or drug user on the weekends. What if a person is addicted to a prescription drug that they need for a cronic illness? Can a employer use that to decide to NOT hire them? Just wondering if you realize they are making the hiring decision based on a social stigma rather than true reason. But I'll let it go. Like someone else said it's fun to argue but it'll never change another persons mind.

You are right about that and we can agree to disagree.

But you did say durg users and that is criminal

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
We are talking apples and oranges between Extracurricular activities and jobs!! :rolleyes:

Extracurricular activities are VOLUNTARY! There are guidelines you MUST follow to be able to participate in these VOLUNTARY activities.

If you, or your parents, don't agree with these guidelines, then don't participate.

For the life of me, I don't see what is so hard to understand about that!!!!

No one is forcing ANYONE to sign something against their will!!:doh: :dispntd:

It's not hard to understand at all. And it makes perfect sense if you just look at it on the surface. My whole point for bringing up jobs is that these to are voluntary but we dictate how employers can treat people. Based on the common thought on this forum if an employer doesn't hire women it's ok because if "you, or your parents, don't agree with these guidelines, then don't participate." Or don't take the job in this case. I would not have a problem with this if the school applied the rule to all students and didn't use "voluntary participation" as a coercion to get the students/parents to accept it. If it's bad enough to kick them out of band then it's bad enough to send them to alternative school. But to assume the right to say you will act like i tell you to act or I won't let you play on my team is nonsense. If the standards are important then everyone should be subjected to them. That's all I'm saying.

BwdLions
06-19-2009, 11:27 AM

All the time. :clap:

Phil C
06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Just more victims of society, Phil...;)

Yes Maroon87. Most sad indeed. :(

Phil C
06-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
The credit check is important to employers whose employess have access to financial resources (cash, checks, etc.) You will find that most white collar crime was committed by those with financial problems. Those same individuals would have lower credit scores. By disqualifying them you eliminate corporate risk. I do believe that the corporations utilizing them for all jobs is a bit over the top. But the reality is it is their choice and should be. The analogy to prejudice/racism is just plain silly.

That is correct. An employee with a bad credit check might be ok in positions where they don't have access to cash or other assets and be good employees. But if they handle money or have access to cash it is risky because people that get in financial binds sometimes take cash. They may be basically good people and may intend to pay it back but quite often it snowballs on them and they can't pay it back and this causes problems for all concerned.

BuckeyeNut
06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Under age drinking kills are kids. Its is against the law. Does not matter were it is done. Just becuae everyone does does not matter. MIP is a class C that dont even have to go to a probation officer. Pay the fine and its done. DWI is another story. Dont fool yourself into thinking the just becuase you dont agree with the law that you dont have to go bye it. :doh: :doh:

sinton66
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
It's not hard to understand at all. And it makes perfect sense if you just look at it on the surface. My whole point for bringing up jobs is that these to are voluntary but we dictate how employers can treat people. Based on the common thought on this forum if an employer doesn't hire women it's ok because if "you, or your parents, don't agree with these guidelines, then don't participate." Or don't take the job in this case. I would not have a problem with this if the school applied the rule to all students and didn't use "voluntary participation" as a coercion to get the students/parents to accept it. If it's bad enough to kick them out of band then it's bad enough to send them to alternative school. But to assume the right to say you will act like i tell you to act or I won't let you play on my team is nonsense. If the standards are important then everyone should be subjected to them. That's all I'm saying.

I swear, I think you'd argue with a fencepost just to hear yourself talk.:rolleyes:

Farmersfan
06-19-2009, 01:01 PM
I swear, I think you'd argue with a fencepost just to hear yourself talk.:rolleyes:

Funny how you apply that statement to me when there are 3 posts on here for every one of mine. So apparently a lot of people would argue with fence posts!!!!!!!! :p :p

But seriously, if you don't want to discuss something with me in the future then just tell me. I only make my opinion known and then respond to other people's responses. So your analogy doesn't apply because in this case the fence post is arguing back.

sinton66
06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
It is a reach isn't it? It's hard to argue this side of the equation. Let's switch for a while?????
Dude, by your own admission, you're reaching beyond reason.

To have a DISCUSSION, one is required to know something on the subject. One needs to be able to listen to reason and not hard-headedly demand everyone see HIS point (unless he's just arguing for argument's sake).

You keep arguing that it's wrong of the schools to do this, but Texas Courts have agreed with them on several occasions. The UIL agrees with this policy. Most of the responders here agree with this policy. You don't agree with it. So what? Get over yourself and move on. Obviously, you aren't going to change the policy here.

piratebg
06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
When I was in high school, I, for the most part, only drank with my father, mother, and uncles. It was very rare that I drank outside of the family for fear of getting caught by the authorities.

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Learn to take what I can get? Are you kidding me? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And as far as "breaking stuff" - it's called "THE LAW". Yeah, they're breaking it. And yes, it happens all over. That doesn't make it any more legal! Running halos or bearcrawls or 20 miles would be the LEAST of my kids' worries!

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Really???? I think you should educate yourself on the dangers of alcohol. It is a drug. Or handn't you heard? Just saying. A kid downs a beer or two, has some fun with his/her friends and then crashes. What's the problem?

What's the difference between an 18 y/o and a 21 y/o doing it besides legality. And if their parents buy, then it is legal.

Sure, Alcohol is dangerous and people die, but that's when they DRIVE!

I have clearly stated that driving drunk is not acceptable.

My opinion is this. People 50 y/o are just as dangerous drunk as an 18 y/o. What makes it totally unacceptable for a teenager to drink a little and totally fine for grown folks to pour it down?

Pick6
06-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Sure, Alcohol is dangerous and people die, but that's when they DRIVE!

I guess you've never heard of alcohol posioning? That can cause death also.

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Under age drinking kills are kids. No, drinking and driving kills kids AND adults.

I've never heard of a kid killing over because he drank a few. I understand you can get alcohol poisoning ubt you would have to drink an unreasonable amount to do so. People that drink that much, well, it's gonna be hard to get them to "drink responsibly."

Pick6
06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
it's gonna be hard to get them to "drink responsibly."

Kind of like getting you to "think responsibly"?

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Kind of like getting you to "think responsibly"? Can you do soemthing productive, like answer a question, or do you just make smart aleck comments?

Pick6
06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Can you do soemthing productive, like answer a question, or do you just make smart aleck comments?

What's the question? I've just seen a bunch of babble from you so far.

lulu
06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
[B]Just saying. A kid downs a beer or two, has some fun with his/her friends and then crashes. What's the problem?

What's the difference between an 18 y/o and a 21 y/o doing it besides legality. And if their parents buy, then it is legal.

It's legal for the parents to buy it but it is NOT legal for them to allow their children to drink it if they are not of age. But I understand we have a different idea of how to raise children so rock on .

Gsquared
06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
No. no. no We're MUCH more lenient on drinking.:Dj/k, yes it's basically the same thing.;)
Whew:spitlol:

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
What's the question? I've just seen a bunch of babble from you so far. Let's see here. I'll find my questions.

"A kid downs a beer or two, has some fun with his/her friends and then crashes. What's the problem?

What's the difference between an 18 y/o and a 21 y/o doing it besides legality.

What makes it totally unacceptable for a teenager to drink a little and totally fine for grown folks to pour it down?"

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 10:58 PM
It's legal for the parents to buy it but it is NOT legal for them to allow their children to drink it if they are not of age. But I understand we have a different idea of how to raise children so rock on . It is illegal for a parent to buy alcohol for their child?

sinton66
06-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Whew:spitlol:

Believe it or not, I was thinking of you when I said that.:D

lulu
06-19-2009, 11:02 PM
It is illegal for a parent to buy alcohol for their child?

It is legal for them to buy it....no one said buy it for their kids silly.

sinton66
06-19-2009, 11:08 PM
In Texas it is legal for a parent or a legal guardian to purchase alcohol and serve it to their kid. A bartender or server must hand the booze to the adult who can then hand it to their kid. However if said kid has signed a "Code of Conduct" agreement with his school, the parent would be very foolish to do this in public.

TexasHSFB
It is legal for them to buy it....no one said buy it for their kids silly. My point was, if my mom buys me alcohol, as long as she's there.... it's legal for me to drink.

BTW, I don't even like alcohol. One bad experience and I was done, but I don't see how one technicality (age 18-21) changes anything.

I'd rather have an 18 y/o who drinks illegally but responsibly than a 21 y/o who drinks legally but then is irresponsible about it.

Pick6
Let's see here. I'll find my questions.

"A kid downs a beer or two, has some fun with his/her friends and then crashes. What's the problem?

What's the difference between an 18 y/o and a 21 y/o doing it besides legality.

What makes it totally unacceptable for a teenager to drink a little and totally fine for grown folks to pour it down?"

The problem is it's against the law. There doesn't need to be any other difference.

Note to self: He's just a kid, he doesn't know any better.

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 11:11 PM
The problem is it's against the law. There doesn't need to be any other difference.

Note to self: He's just a kid, he doesn't know any better. What if the teenagers parents bought and served it to their child?

Is it still a big deal? The way you guys act, yes.

The way I see it, no.

And I said besides legality. Assume they are doing it legally.

Then what?

Pick6
06-19-2009, 11:13 PM
What if the teenagers parents bought and served it to their child?

The way I see it, no.

Then what?

Are you any kin to Farmersfan :rolleyes:

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Are you any kin to Farmersfan :rolleyes: No, but I see that you can't answer the question.

sinton66
06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Are you any kin to Farmersfan :rolleyes:

DAYYYYUUUUUMMMMMNNNN! I knew he reminded me of someone.:D

TexasHSFB
06-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Score one for the home team.

Ranger Mom
06-20-2009, 01:14 AM
So.....I'm confused......is it legal or not for a parent to buy alcohol for their underage child and serve it to them???

Here is a quote of something I posted earlier on this thread that I found:

TEXAS LAW!!!

My daughter is 20, her husband is 22. She ordered a margarita at a restaurant when we ate at Baby A's in Austin. They were allowed to let her order the drink, but could not serve her. Either her husband or myself had to hand it to her.

sinton66
06-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Yes, in the PRESENCE of a legal aged parent, guardian or spouse, a minor may drink with their permission. And I don't know if it's actually a requirement of the server to hand it to the legal, but all of them do it that way.

LH Panther Mom
06-20-2009, 06:05 AM

The way I see it, no.

Then what?
Here's a bigger problem than the parent buying/giving permission for their teenager. Lots of parents purchase and give permission to teenagers that aren't theirs. They have no legal right to give permission to any child but their own, yet it happens all the time. And yes, it is a big deal!

Ranger Mom
06-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Here's a bigger problem than the parent buying/giving permission for their teenager. Lots of parents purchase and give permission to teenagers that aren't theirs. They have no legal right to give permission to any child but their own, yet it happens all the time. And yes, it is a big deal!

That happened here in Greenwood several years ago. A "mom" and "dad" threw a party for their daughter and invited all of her friends....and drank with them. Lots of kids from Midland showed up out here.

Ultimately, 4 boys lost their lives on their way back to Midland that night! That family got the CRAP sued out of them....it basically ruined their lives.

They ended up selling their house to pay off the "settlements". They were a prominent family here and their name is dirt now!

I'm not going to say that I NEVER let my kids have a taste of alcohol when they were underage, but I darn sure wouldn't buy it FOR them!!

rockdale80
06-20-2009, 11:02 AM

The way I see it, no.

Then what?

Dont expect an answer out of Pick6. He has the moral high ground. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

garciap77
06-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Easy Farmersfan!

Hey you forgot Whites and Asians!:D

And yes I feel drug users are a greater risk! All people are prejudice! That’s human nature!

Pick6
06-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Dont expect an answer out of Pick6. He has the moral high ground. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Awesome post RD80 :clap: :clap:

rockdale80
06-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Awesome post RD80 :clap: :clap:

;)

IHStangFan
06-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Randall Floyd! You are in need of a serious attitude adjustment! LMAO!!! I knew it was coming....and "don't THINK I haven't noticed!!" :D

Electus Unus
06-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I guess you've never heard of alcohol posioning? That can cause death also. Kids tend to binge drink when they are underage and that causes them to get alcohol poisoning. They binge drink to get really drunk when they are going places that they know they will not be able to drink at.

Emerson1
06-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I guess you've never heard of alcohol posioning? That can cause death also.
You can also die from drinking to much water

Footballhudini
06-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I guess I'm the odd link in here. Growing up, my parents HATED drinking/tried convincing me not to (kids will be kids and I was no exception), but wouldn't mind me smoking pot. In all honesty, the short term effects of alcohol are a bit more extreme than those of weed. You can drink and drink and drink. What happens next? you drive, you kill. you keep drinking, you die/get sick (alcohol poisoning). I do not condone driving under the influence of any drug. However, it's pretty difficult to die of a weed overdose/poisoning. Speaking from experience anyhow (Lived in Cali for a few years/had a med. card).

Pretty interesting discussion tho. I remember being a kid and just drinking to spite my parents. Perhaps a little reverse psychology would've worked. Nevertheless, whether it be out of rebellion, experimentation, celebration, etc., it happens. As a result, every now and then, bad stuff happens. What got me to be more responsible was being at one of my best friend's funeral my junior year. Hopefully it doesn't take that for others.

jbh

RHCat1031
06-21-2009, 06:15 PM
I really feel that a coach must weed out those type of characters....regardless of talent. Year-round.

If a kid or group of kids ends up drinking and driving? Ends up crashing and dying?

There ain't no second chances when it comes to death.

I had three good buddies of mine die because of drinking and driving after football games.

lulu
06-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Gotta try to fix those kids, first. In many cases, coaches are the only thing standing between the kid and prison. You punish kids for that behavior, but unless he's hurting the other kids, you don't get rid of him.

That is a really good position on the subject. Kids need people like you.

Electus Unus
06-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by RHCat1031
I really feel that a coach must weed out those type of characters....regardless of talent. Year-round.
. Thats the problem...people who get in trouble/have learning disabilities get pushed aside and "weeded out" and never recover from that. You must work with those kids to improve their lives and give them a father figure. But what do I know.

LH Panther Mom
06-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
But what do I know.
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Good point.

TexasHSFB
06-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
I guess I'm the odd link in here. Growing up, my parents HATED drinking/tried convincing me not to (kids will be kids and I was no exception), but wouldn't mind me smoking pot. In all honesty, the short term effects of alcohol are a bit more extreme than those of weed. You can drink and drink and drink. What happens next? you drive, you kill. you keep drinking, you die/get sick (alcohol poisoning). I do not condone driving under the influence of any drug. However, it's pretty difficult to die of a weed overdose/poisoning. Speaking from experience anyhow (Lived in Cali for a few years/had a med. card).

Pretty interesting discussion tho. I remember being a kid and just drinking to spite my parents. Perhaps a little reverse psychology would've worked. Nevertheless, whether it be out of rebellion, experimentation, celebration, etc., it happens. As a result, every now and then, bad stuff happens. What got me to be more responsible was being at one of my best friend's funeral my junior year. Hopefully it doesn't take that for others.

jbh Weed isn't the only drug.

Footballhudini
06-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Weed isn't the only drug.

I don't remember saying it was

DaHop72
06-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Weed isn't the only drug. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TexasHSFB
06-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't remember saying it was No, but you talked only about weed. i'm just saying there are plenty of other drugs whose "short term effects" are worse than alcohol.

TexasHSFB
06-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

Footballhudini
06-22-2009, 12:15 AM
No, but you talked only about weed. i'm just saying there are plenty of other drugs whose "short term effects" are worse than alcohol.

and im not disagreeing with you, but why are you saying this? i only talked about weed because its what my parents would rather me do. They were VERY anti-chemical (alcohol, crack, pills, etc.).

TexasHSFB
06-22-2009, 01:39 AM
and im not disagreeing with you, but why are you saying this? i only talked about weed because its what my parents would rather me do. They were VERY anti-chemical (alcohol, crack, pills, etc.). Sorry, I guess I took what you were saying the wrong way.

I guess I just figured you meant drugs (weed) was ok because the effects were'nt that bad and I guess I was just trying to say that yea, weed isn't that bad (I actually think it should be legal), but there are tons that are THAT bad.

IDK.... What I meant to say and the way I took what you said was all wrong.

Footballhudini
06-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Sorry, I guess I took what you were saying the wrong way.

I guess I just figured you meant drugs (weed) was ok because the effects were'nt that bad and I guess I was just trying to say that yea, weed isn't that bad (I actually think it should be legal), but there are tons that are THAT bad.

IDK.... What I meant to say and the way I took what you said was all wrong.

they tried to make me go to rehab

i said

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOO NOOOOOOOOOo

sinton66
06-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Let's not stray down that road any further. Please remember the rules here:

2). Illegal activity topics are forbidden.
Topics and comments involving the promotion, sale, participation, or distribution of illegal substances and/or activities are forbidden. Examples of this are illegal drugs, underage drinking, and gambling activities. Under no circumstances will 3ADownlow be used to facilitate illegal activities of ANY kind. We intend to set a good example. (Items in the news may be excluded, but not necessarily and may depend upon the content or the direction the discussion takes.)

garciap77
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM

:iagree:

BuckeyeNut
06-22-2009, 08:38 AM
I think some are missing the point. These kids are not just playing Football, there learning life leasons. Meaning being part of a team, beleaving in your team mate and your coach. Learning how to be strong for the rest of your life. When I was in High School we had a Honor Code we all had to sign. No drinking, drugs. We were to rep are Team Town and Family at all times. I remember losing people for 1 and 2 games for them not making the right choices. If your a parent and give your teenage son or daughter some is wrong with you. I have a 14 year old and I would never even think about giving him a beer.

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Boy this thing stayed alive a long time after I left for my weekend. I apoligize to everyone who felt I was pushing my views on them last week. I guess my lack of vocabulary or writing skills prevents me from making a compelling argument or expressing my thoughts in an appropriate way. Perhaps that's why I resort to analogies and comparisons that don't make much sense to you guys. In the first place I don't want to give the idea that I disagree with the practice in principle. I don't think high school kids should drink (during school or after). Any intervention on behalf of the kids is better than the alternative. So if you are ok with the Coach telling your child what he can or can't do in his private time then who am I to judge that? But I see it as a slippery slope towards removing more responsibility from the parents and I personally think the school is breaking the fundamental goal of equality we fight for in our great country.
I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I think some are missing the point. These kids are not just playing Football, there learning life leasons. Meaning being part of a team, beleaving in your team mate and your coach. Learning how to be strong for the rest of your life. When I was in High School we had a Honor Code we all had to sign. No drinking, drugs. We were to rep are Team Town and Family at all times. I remember losing people for 1 and 2 games for them not making the right choices. If your a parent and give your teenage son or daughter some is wrong with you. I have a 14 year old and I would never even think about giving him a beer.

:doh: :doh:

Is someone gonna help on this?

BuckeyeNut
06-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Is someone gonna help on this?

:confused: :confused:

TexasHSFB
06-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Is someone gonna help on this? The spelling and grammar maybe? I'm not understanding what else could need help. The writing skills are a little jacked up but I understand what he's saying.

BuckeyeNut
06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
The spelling and grammar maybe? I'm not understanding what else could need help. The writing skills are a little jacked up but I understand what he's saying. 3

Sorry for the grammer i was tabbing in and out, had to do some work.

Footballhudini
06-22-2009, 11:17 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2). Illegal activity topics are forbidden.
Topics and comments involving the promotion, sale, participation, or distribution of illegal substances and/or activities are forbidden. Examples of this are illegal drugs, underage drinking, and gambling activities. Under no circumstances will 3ADownlow be used to facilitate illegal activities of ANY kind. We intend to set a good example. (Items in the news may be excluded, but not necessarily and may depend upon the content or the direction the discussion takes.)

Sorry, but doesn't this rule make this topic as a whole forbidden? and even then - what about our cali posters?

Just curious. I'm no rulebreaker tho

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by VWG

Would this particular 3A team be located near the Mexican border, kinda close to the gulf?

Pick6
06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
Would this particular 3A team be located near the Mexican border, kinda close to the gulf?

Don't think so. Actually a worse border than the Mexican border....the 0klahoma border :eek:

garciap77
06-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Boy this thing stayed alive a long time after I left for my weekend. I apoligize to everyone who felt I was pushing my views on them last week. I guess my lack of vocabulary or writing skills prevents me from making a compelling argument or expressing my thoughts in an appropriate way. Perhaps that's why I resort to analogies and comparisons that don't make much sense to you guys. In the first place I don't want to give the idea that I disagree with the practice in principle. I don't think high school kids should drink (during school or after). Any intervention on behalf of the kids is better than the alternative. So if you are ok with the Coach telling your child what he can or can't do in his private time then who am I to judge that? But I see it as a slippery slope towards removing more responsibility from the parents and I personally think the school is breaking the fundamental goal of equality we fight for in our great country.
I hope everyone had a great weekend!

You better add the military; with breaking the rules too! The military does not allow men and women under the age of 21 to drink either!

garciap77
06-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Don't think so. Actually a worse border than the Mexican border....the 0klahoma border :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You only cross the Mexican if you want to increase the chances of getting killed!:(

garciap77
06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
That is incorrect. I have first hand knowledge of this. Military personel may drink, even if under the age of 21.

Must of changed! I've be retired 12 years! Good for them, If they are old enough to fight they should be old enough to drink! They still can't drink at Dyess AFB!:(

P.S. Just got off the phone with a military man and he said only place he knows of is Germany!

Pick6
06-22-2009, 12:15 PM
That is incorrect. I have first hand knowledge of this. Military personel may drink, even if under the age of 21.

I guess it depends on who catches who. My brother got a Honorable Discharge because he was an MP and he didn't turn in his underage room mate for drinking.

garciap77
06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
I guess it depends on who catches who. My brother got a Honorable Discharge because he was an MP and he didn't turn in his underage room mate for drinking.

The thing is when you get out of high school the punishments are more serious than being suspended off the team!

garciap77
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
You can definately drink at Ft Jackson, Ft Bragg, and Camp Pendelton.

Several years ago, Congress passed a law (USC 10, Section 2683), that mandates that military bases adopt the exact same drinking age as the state (or country) that the base is located in.

The legislation allows an installation commander to adopt a lower drinking age if the installation is within 50 miles of a state or country with a lower drinking age. In that case, the Installation Commander *MAY* adopt the drinking age of that state/country.

On Installations that are within 50 miles of a border with a lower drinking age, some Installation Commanders have elected to adopt the lower drinking age, while others have not.

I can see why Pendelton!

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
You better add the military; with breaking the rules too! The military does not allow men and women under the age of 21 to drink either!

How are these two even in the same universe???? I'm confused!

44INAROW
06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Good Lord, you guys still fussing over this :doh:

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Sorry for the grammer i was tabbing in and out, had to do some work.

Sorry Black Flag! I wasn't talking about the grammer. I figured someone would address the comments about "Honor Code" and your opinion that a person who gives their child a beer has something wrong with them. But I will leave it alone because there is an abundance of "Shoot the messenger" mentality on here these days......

Bullaholic
06-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Sorry Black Flag! I wasn't talking about the grammer. I figured someone would address the comments about "Honor Code" and your opinion that a person who gives their child a beer has something wrong with them. But I will leave it alone because there is an abundance of "Shoot the messenger" mentality on here these days......

I think "Shoot the message" would be a more accurate statement, Farmer...:D

Ranger Mom
06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Good Lord, you guys still fussing over this :doh:

I have learned a lot from their "fussing."

I have learned many don't know Texas law, or they would KNOW that if a parent serves their underage child alcohol and is in their presence, it is legal, under the law.

I have found out that something is wrong with me since I let my children take drinks of alcohol on occasion before they were legally old enough to drink!! OH THE SHAME!!:blush:

Ranger Mom
06-22-2009, 02:30 PM

I just "kinda sorta in a way" addressed that!!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-22-2009, 02:36 PM

Ok, that's good to know.

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Shouldn't we just combine this thread and the other thread about the company asking for internet passwords from applicants? From my perspective they are both very similar in scope. How far are we willing to let "Big Brother" dwell into our privacy? Even for a good cause.

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I just "kinda sorta in a way" addressed that!!!

Thanks Mom, for the

"tidbits of affection we may inadvertently show them here"!

:D :D :D

Bullaholic
06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Shouldn't we just combine this thread and the other thread about the company asking for internet passwords from applicants? From my perspective they are both very similar in scope. How far are we willing to let "Big Brother" dwell into our privacy? Even for a good cause.

What has "big brother" got to do with underage drinking?

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 02:55 PM
What has "big brother" got to do with underage drinking?

My point exactly? ;)

garciap77
06-22-2009, 02:57 PM
How are these two even in the same universe???? I'm confused!

the school is breaking the fundamental goal of equality we fight for in our great country.

Won't the military be breaking the fundamental goal of equality too?

Bullaholic
06-22-2009, 02:57 PM
My point exactly? ;)

Well, I try to follow, Farmer, but somehow I keep getting lost....

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 03:03 PM
the school is breaking the fundamental goal of equality we fight for in our great country.

Won't the military be breaking the fundamental goal of equality too?

The Military rules apply to everyone.

The school rules apply to only students involved in extracurricular activities. It's selective in enforcement. Two students get caught drinking on Saturday night. One football player and one non football player. The football player gets punished and the other kid can't be touched.

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Well, I try to follow, Farmer, but somehow I keep getting lost....

You asked what "Big Brother" has to do with underaged drinking. The school is not suppose to be "Big Brother" but if we allow them to dictate our childrens actions after hours then aren't they taking a "Big Brother" role?

Emerson1
06-22-2009, 03:06 PM
You asked what "Big Brother" has to do with underaged drinking. The school is not suppose to be "Big Brother" but if we allow them to dictate our childrens actions after hours then aren't they taking a "Big Brother" role?
Why should the gov be able to dictate our children's actions?

Twirling Time
06-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Must of changed! I've be retired 12 years! Good for them, If they are old enough to fight they should be old enough to drink! They still can't drink at Dyess AFB!:(

P.S. Just got off the phone with a military man and he said only place he knows of is Germany!

That's because the legal drinking age in Germany is 16 for beer and 18 for hard liquor. In fact, that's how most of Europe is. The military observes local laws.

In some countries you have to be 18 to buy, but there's no age limit on drinking. But nobody cards you over there anyway.

The U.S. and Indonesia are the only countries in the world where the legal age is as high as 21.

BuckeyeNut
06-22-2009, 03:19 PM
The Military rules apply to everyone.

The school rules apply to only students involved in extracurricular activities. It's selective in enforcement. Two students get caught drinking on Saturday night. One football player and one non football player. The football player gets punished and the other kid can't be touched.

The Student athlete is held to a higher code than just a normal student. He puts on his school Jersey and goes out on the field for everyone to see.

Bullaholic
06-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Usually, "Big Brother" is an expression used to refer to the federal govenment when it is involved in trying to obtain personal or private information by direct or covert means for government use. I'm sorry but I can't make the jump of applying the expression "Big Brother" to any organization or entity which expects it's members to obey a set of rules or guidelines to which an individual has agreed, and enforces violations of those rules. Rules are made for the benefit of the several members, not to their detrement. Otherwise, anarchy and chaos would rule.

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
School rules should only apply during school or school sponsored events. Athletic rules are a different entity b/c a student can be removed from athletics. A student cannot be expelled from school.
That's apparently a difficult concept to understand. ;)

sinton66
06-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry, but doesn't this rule make this topic as a whole forbidden? and even then - what about our cali posters?

Just curious. I'm no rulebreaker tho

Not too many here in favor of or promoting it.
What would cali posters have to do with anything? If there are any, they're subject to the same rules everyone else here agreed to.

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 05:18 PM
School rules should only apply during school or school sponsored events. Athletic rules are a different entity b/c a student can be removed from athletics. A student cannot be expelled from school.

Are you saying the ability to punish noncompliance should determine how rules are applied???

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That's apparently a difficult concept to understand. ;)

Perhaps you are confusing understanding with agreement????

Pick6
06-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Perhaps you are confusing understanding with agreement????

It seems like your the one with the understanding problems. If you don't like their rules, don't play their game. If you don't want to sign a Conduct Agreement, don't play. It's really not that hard to comprehend.

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Are you saying the ability to punish noncompliance should determine how rules are applied???
I believe he is saying that a student is not REQUIRED to participate in EXTRAcurricular activities - it is a privilege. And along with that PRIVILEGE comes rules that are set, and agreed upon, in order to participate. Don't like the rules? It's a pretty simple concept - don't participate!

sinton66
06-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I think this one's run it's course. Time to move on.