PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article Regarding Texas/ASU Game Last Night

Electus Unus
06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2009/06/17/hey_espn_youre.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

There was some compelling college baseball on TV last night. Too bad ESPN missed it.

Oh, sure, the World Wide Leader televised the Texas vs. Arizona State game and did a nice job of supplying all of the pertinent moving pictures (and even thoughtfully saved our innocent ears by muting the sound when the Arizona State coach dropped an F-bomb from the dugout).

At least the ASU coach’s commentary was spot on. We can’t say so much for the ESPN crew in the booth. Sean McDonough, Orel Hershiser and Steve Phillips sure sounded as if they would’ve rather been anywhere but Omaha.

All three have great baseball credentials, of course, but their specialty is the wrong kind of baseball. They’re major-league guys, and none seemed particularly interested in the great college game unfolding before him. They preferred to talk about the pro game — that is, when they were talking about baseball at all. They spent a full half inning talking about their favorite sports movies — dugout reporter Erin Andrews chose “Miracle” — and devoted a large chunk of their telecast to the signability of No. 1 draft choice Stephen Strasburg. Nevermind that Strasburg wasn’t pitching last night — or that his San Diego State team didn’t make it to Omaha.

(We’ll give Andrews a pass — not to be confused with making a pass at her. Just as she does for college football and basketball, she does a fine enough job of bringing in interesting bits of info. And last night, she got the scoop of the game when she got to overhear Augie Garrido’s pep talk for the ages. And unlike the others, Andrews seems to enjoy being there.)

Phillips himself summed it up best when he said the reason to watch the College World Series is to see the major-leaguers of the future. No, Steve, that’s why you watch the College World Series. The rest of us tune in to see great sports drama like last night.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-17-2009, 04:42 PM
And I completely agree with this. Announcers were just horrible. I'll give McDonough a pass because he had been terribly ill the past few days, and he even sounded like death. And Hershiser wasn't too bad in my opinion; also, I really didn't mind him and Ravech on Sunday. They didn't seem to particularly be fans of Texas, but they called the game and Hershiser gave some points of view that only a former pitcher could give.

Phillips, though, was horrible. He basically trashed Augie Garrido's coaching from the beginning, egged on a joke about 'The Sound of Music' for SIX innings, and shamelessly promoted Taco Bell. At one point, they showed the booth, and McDonough looked like he was hurting, and Hershiser was just staring at Phillips with a "Make a move and I'll cut you" look. I may just bring my radio down for next game so I can listen to Craig Way and Keith Moreland. They may be homers, but at least they sound like they're interested.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
in that video above was augie talking crap to a player? i couldnt figure out what he was doing?

Electus Unus
06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
in that video above was augie talking crap to a player? i couldnt figure out what he was doing? Not sure but it is hilarious to see an old man do that.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
in that video above was augie talking crap to a player? i couldnt figure out what he was doing?

That's the look he gave to Rupp after the 3-run homer. Seriously.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
that was hilarious!

pirate4state
06-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
And I completely agree with this. Announcers were just horrible. I'll give McDonough a pass because he had been terribly ill the past few days, and he even sounded like death. And Hershiser wasn't too bad in my opinion; also, I really didn't mind him and Ravech on Sunday. They didn't seem to particularly be fans of Texas, but they called the game and Hershiser gave some points of view that only a former pitcher could give.

Phillips, though, was horrible. He basically trashed Augie Garrido's coaching from the beginning, egged on a joke about 'The Sound of Music' for SIX innings, and shamelessly promoted Taco Bell. At one point, they showed the booth, and McDonough looked like he was hurting, and Hershiser was just staring at Phillips with a "Make a move and I'll cut you" look. I may just bring my radio down for next game so I can listen to Craig Way and Keith Moreland. They may be homers, but at least they sound like they're interested.

haha you are nicer than me! My status on Facebook when I heard McDonough was, "Seriously ESPN? This is the best commentator you could find? wow ... I love Orel, but this other guy is boring me to tears!" :D

I miss Harold Reynolds! :(

BreckTxLonghorn
06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
haha you are nicer than me! My status on Facebook when I heard McDonough was, "Seriously ESPN? This is the best commentator you could find? wow ... I love Orel, but this other guy is boring me to tears!" :D

See, that's the thing. I thought Reynolds was horrible. Every thing he said I thought was either dumb or contrived.

I didn't watch last night (caught up on Conan), but I heard it was better. Phillips just needs to go.

Give me Mike Patrick and Hershiser, Ravech and Hershiser; hell, I think McDonough once he gets healthy could work with Hershiser. Just keep it to two guys!

NastySlot
06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I was thinking the same thing....Harold Reynolds was great....and i remember watching a long time ago and it seems like Joe Morgan even worked a series. Reynolds understood the College Game and man he was great for the young kids watching as he explain the game and situations....a young kid could really get some good baseball knowledge with Reynolds working a game.

pirate4state
06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
See, that's the thing. I thought Reynolds was horrible. Every thing he said I thought was either dumb or contrived.

I didn't watch last night (caught up on Conan), but I heard it was better. Phillips just needs to go.

Give me Mike Patrick and Hershiser, Ravech and Hershiser; hell, I think McDonough once he gets healthy could work with Hershiser. Just keep it to two guys!

Well, that's like your opinion man. :p

As much as I like Hershiser, he can get pretty boring. I think it's his voice.

Mike Patrick & Harold Reynolds were awesome together.

Did Gary Thorne die and I missed it? :eek: I like the way he calls baseball games.

ILS1
06-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2009/06/17/hey_espn_youre.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

There was some compelling college baseball on TV last night. Too bad ESPN missed it.

Oh, sure, the World Wide Leader televised the Texas vs. Arizona State game and did a nice job of supplying all of the pertinent moving pictures (and even thoughtfully saved our innocent ears by muting the sound when the Arizona State coach dropped an F-bomb from the dugout).

At least the ASU coach’s commentary was spot on. We can’t say so much for the ESPN crew in the booth. Sean McDonough, Orel Hershiser and Steve Phillips sure sounded as if they would’ve rather been anywhere but Omaha.

All three have great baseball credentials, of course, but their specialty is the wrong kind of baseball. They’re major-league guys, and none seemed particularly interested in the great college game unfolding before him. They preferred to talk about the pro game — that is, when they were talking about baseball at all. They spent a full half inning talking about their favorite sports movies — dugout reporter Erin Andrews chose “Miracle” — and devoted a large chunk of their telecast to the signability of No. 1 draft choice Stephen Strasburg. Nevermind that Strasburg wasn’t pitching last night — or that his San Diego State team didn’t make it to Omaha.

(We’ll give Andrews a pass — not to be confused with making a pass at her. Just as she does for college football and basketball, she does a fine enough job of bringing in interesting bits of info. And last night, she got the scoop of the game when she got to overhear Augie Garrido’s pep talk for the ages. And unlike the others, Andrews seems to enjoy being there.)

Phillips himself summed it up best when he said the reason to watch the College World Series is to see the major-leaguers of the future. No, Steve, that’s why you watch the College World Series. The rest of us tune in to see great sports drama like last night.

Bring back Harold Reynolds!! He was a Major Leaguer but he loved 'baseball'!!! He and Mike Patrick made such a great team!! Yeah, I'll give Sean McDonough a pass because he's sick. But get rid of Steve Phillips,he and his holier than thou attitude!!

:D :D :D

BwdLions
06-18-2009, 09:53 AM
This is the worst I can remember. You can't tell me they can't find a couple of guys that would be excited to work the CWS. At least find a couple that have pulses.

sahen
06-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Reynolds was funny...he would always find the best stuff to eat at the game and be eating it while he was annoucning...they'd alwasy cut to him and he'd have some massive pile of food on his plate just eating away...

only thing Reynolds did that I didn't like was he would count teams out too early for college ball...he ate those words when Baylor was in the CWS and got down 6 runs early to Tulane....enough Baylor fans must have said something to him/ESPN at the time that the next game he actually gave an apology for saying we should go on and pack our bags after the 4th inning or so...i remember that one specifically cause it was baylor, but he did it on other occasions as well...

BreckTxLonghorn
06-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Screw it; let's just get Gus Johnson to call it by himself. He's the man.

Electus Unus
06-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't care if the found Harold Reynolds in the girls bathroom at ESPN they need him back! Its a shame he got accused of sexual harassment

ILS1
06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I don't care if the found Harold Reynolds in the girls bathroom at ESPN they need him back! Its a shame he got accused of sexual harassment

Yeah, and what Sean Salisbury did at ESPN,that wasn't termination material? Took a picture of his genitals and e-mailed it to a female co-worker. But he held on to his job for another year before ESPN decided not to renew his contract!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: