PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood

SHSBulldog00
06-17-2009, 12:01 AM
School Funding?

What do ya'll think about it? I HATE:devil: :devil: :devil: IT!!!!!

We send 52% of our finances to a "Poor" school district because we are a so called "Rich" school district. Ever since the state started this plan my school has struggled to stay in the black. Our enrollment numbers have dropped since I was in school 97-00. We had over 700 and this past year we reported 591. Of this number I know at least 15 more kids have moved away. We still have a great school despite the drop in numbers. It's not the area; most other school's are increasing in size.

Phil C
06-17-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree it is unfair. They did it statewide with oil revenues and the rich school districts had to help out the poorer onew with their oil revenues. Harlingen and many other schools benefited from it. Now with the oil industry not doing so great they wanted (I don't know if they suceeded or not) to repeal it. That was because many of the former rich oil school districts weren't so rich and some of the former ones like Harlingen are having a tourist boom and great development and now they don't want to help out the ones that helped them out. Most unfairl mess indeed and should never have been tried but that is the goof up our legislatures sometimes do. :(

LH Panther Mom
06-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Phil, I admire the oil industry. ;)

BTW, not ALL of the "rich" schools are that way because of oil.

Phil C
06-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Phil, I admire the oil industry. ;)

BTW, not ALL of the "rich" schools are that way because of oil.

Right you are LH Panther Mom. But some of the ones that were "poor" are now rich and don't want to share. :(

LH Panther Mom
06-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Right you are LH Panther Mom. But some of the ones that were "poor" are now rich and don't want to share. :(
What would make you happy? That all school districts in the state send their money to some governing body, then have an equal %/student redistributed back to each school?

garciap77
06-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
School Funding?

What do ya'll think about it? I HATE:devil: :devil: :devil: IT!!!!!

We send 52% of our finances to a "Poor" school district because we are a so called "Rich" school district. Ever since the state started this plan my school has struggled to stay in the black. Our enrollment numbers have dropped since I was in school 97-00. We had over 700 and this past year we reported 591. Of this number I know at least 15 more kids have moved away. We still have a great school despite the drop in numbers. It's not the area; most other school's are increasing in size.

Easy Big Boy! We are a poor school district!:(

Phil C
06-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
What would make you happy? That all school districts in the state send their money to some governing body, then have an equal %/student redistributed back to each school?

They were doing that to a certain extent. Now the school districts of that time are the rich ones and they don't want to help the rich ones that helped them.

Me personally I wish they had never had that Robin Hood law in the first place.