PDA

View Full Version : I think this is a little much!!!!!

BuckeyeNut
06-16-2009, 03:37 PM
When big Bryce Harper made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks ago, I knew we'd soon again be hearing from the 16-year-old 'chosen one.'

But not quite this soon.

On Sunday, the sophomore from Las Vegas found his way into national headlines again when his father announced that Bryce will forgo his final two years of high school and use a GED to enroll in a community college this August. Though it more or less makes a mockery of our education system, the Harpers' plan would make Bryce eligible for the 2010 draft, where he could conceivably be the Nationals' No. 1 pick and eventually join forces with Stephen Strasburg to save Washington baseball from itself.

It's a controversial decision, to be sure, but Ron Harper says he and his son are prepared to hear from the inevitable haters.

44INAROW
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Click here :) (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95236)

for more discussion on this subject

waterboy
06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
There's too much "show me the money" attitude going around. This parent is not much of a parent if he's advising his kid to do this, in my opinion. All he's thinking about is the potential money his kid can make him, and the quickest way to get there. At least that's the way it appears to me.

WildTexan972
06-16-2009, 04:27 PM
education is about teaching a kid how to make it in life....only fools would think it is more important to sit in classes with teachers that don't earn much or teach much instead of signing a million dollar contract....

our education system has been trying to extend itself more and more in kids lives for a century now, but if the kid can make more than 95% of Americans can in their entire lives by 18 then more power to him.....the education system wants kids now to go year round and stay longer days and have tons more homework to try to appear like they create more value and need more pay - fact is most of the important stuff a kid needs to learn like values and ethics and character needs to be learned at home and not in school....

readin writin rithmetic......once ya got those down the teachers are just babysitters till ya parole out of the system....

TexasHSFB
06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
When big Bryce Harper made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks ago, I knew we'd soon again be hearing from the 16-year-old 'chosen one.'

But not quite this soon.

On Sunday, the sophomore from Las Vegas found his way into national headlines again when his father announced that Bryce will forgo his final two years of high school and use a GED to enroll in a community college this August. Though it more or less makes a mockery of our education system, the Harpers' plan would make Bryce eligible for the 2010 draft, where he could conceivably be the Nationals' No. 1 pick and eventually join forces with Stephen Strasburg to save Washington baseball from itself.

It's a controversial decision, to be sure, but Ron Harper says he and his son are prepared to hear from the inevitable haters. Nicd job with the copy and paste. You should have put a link.

Pick6
06-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFB
Nicd job with the copy and paste. You should have put a link.

He never learned how. He only knows readin writin rithmetic

bigwood33
06-16-2009, 07:48 PM
In the SI article they say that this is probably the direction that they were headed. According to the article he would have either been the 2nd or possibley even the 1st player selected in this years draft...as a sophomore! Why in the world would he stay in hs for 2 more years when it could only slow his development. If this were my son I would probably recommend the same thing but it would be a family decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liS3kGvQ9Bk