PDA

View Full Version : Coaching at One School for Entire Career.

Rabid Cougar
06-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Randy Sapp has coached his entire career at CH Yoe High School in Cameron, also his alma mater, since 1980 or 81... I believe.

Just from my knowledge of the business that is very uncommon.

Is there any others out there that anybody knows of?

STANG RED
06-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I dont know if Hugh Sandifer was anywhere else before Abilene Wylie, but I know he's been there many years. Probably been there about 30 or so years. And he's still young enough to have a kid or two still in school. He couldnt have been many places before Wylie. I think he even played college baseball in Abilene. HSU I think.

Johnny Utah
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Sandifer used to be the basketball coach at Wylie, dang good one too. Sapp even weathered being demoted, he must really love Ctown!

44INAROW
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Cuero Head Track Coach, Victor Mathis graduated from CHS in early 70's - maybe 1971 maybe? Went to college and came back to Cuero to coach - he's been here ever since (I think)

grahampaw
06-16-2009, 04:36 PM
In 2a Coach Cartwright has been at Boyd since 77 as a head coach.

Bullaholic
06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Danny Henson has been AD/HC in Bridgeport since 93'. This was his first, and so far, only HC job.

vet93
06-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Coach Buxkemper from Ballinger is a Ballinger Graduate and began coaching in 1979 I believe. Started in the Junior High and has been the Head Basketball coach for many years.

mac77
06-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Charlie Brand graduated from West Columbia HS back in the late 1950's and spent more than 40 years at Columbia before retiring a few years ago. It was the only place he ever coached.

tigerfan09
06-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Sandifer used to be the basketball coach at Wylie, dang good one too. Sapp even weathered being demoted, he must really love Ctown!

Actually, Coach Sapp wasn't demoted...he decided to step down to spend more time with his family back in 2003 or so. The Cameron ISD school board tried to demote him back in 2001 or so, but the community got behind him, got petitions together, and the school board had no choice but to keep him on as head coach, lest the board members would have been strung up by their necks on the Milam County Courthouse lawn. He had a good run of about 7 years or so as head coach...he stepped in when Cameron Yoe had had enough of Todd Dodge and his shenanigans. (By the way, Dodge did a horrible job during his two years in Cameron...he even had players walk off the field and head to the locker room during a game one night.) Sapp's first year as head coach, he took the boys all the way to the state quarterfinal round in the fall of 1996.

I have always heard a few negative things, but Coach Sapp is a darn good coach, and he would still be the head coach at Cameron Yoe if he wanted to be. I have known him since he was my 6th grade PE teacher back in 1991, and he is one of the best teachers and coaches I ever had there in Cameron. Randy has a genuine love of the kids, and of the town of Cameron. I am sure a lot of folks on this board from Cameron will agree with me on this.

tigerfan09
06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
[B]Randy Sapp has coached his entire career at CH Yoe High School in Cameron, also his alma mater, since 1980 or 81... I believe.

Coach Sapp started in Cameron in August of 1981...he had a been a junior high coach/teacher somewhere in the Huntsville area the year before...

BaseballUmp
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
yea he was definately one of my favorite coaches even tho he was on the offensive side and i was on the defensive side. Even after a few years after graduating, you can always strike up a conversation with him. He is a great coach and he is very concerned with his students and athletes past or present. And he will still squeeze your neck if you get close enough to him haha. gotta love sapp

garciap77
06-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont know if Hugh Sandifer was anywhere else before Abilene Wylie, but I know he's been there many years. Probably been there about 30 or so years. And he's still young enough to have a kid or two still in school. He couldnt have been many places before Wylie. I think he even played college baseball in Abilene. HSU I think.

Dang you are old!:D

Now! Stang I'm going to let you into a rumor that I heard at the Whataburger in Early.

Heck I'll just show you instead:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_8227.jpg

RED and WHITE!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it's not true!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :(

;)

michaelp23
06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

Close. He actually played Basketball at ACU. There are some old photos of him back in the 80's before he was head coach. He was coaching a game at Bulldog Stadium (it didn't look anything like it does now, and it was way out south of town in the middle of nowhere). He had a big afro and the game clock was the old style minute and second hands instead of digital. He's been at Wylie since he graduated ACU.

wildstangs
06-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I think Coach Hines has been at Sweetwater his whole career.

Johnny Utah
06-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Aint it amazing that Dodge could not win in Ctown?? Have seen my fair share of battles of the bell. I would put Sapp in the class of elite coaches, especially those that are very loyal to a school. Same with Sandifer.

BaseballUmp
06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Yea Dodge still suprises me going from cameron doing horrible to being a college head coach

STAggie
06-17-2009, 08:42 AM
I think Coach Chitty was at Sealy his whole career but I could be mistaken. He retired several years ago but don't be fooled he was the reason we had such a good run in the 90s his coaching of the jr. hi was what got us to that point.