PDA

View Full Version : Multiple or Single Team Fan? (HS Football)

Bullaholic
06-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Been a while since we discussed this---Do you attend games of more than 1 team in different classifications during the regular season, or just your home team?

eagles_victory
06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I attend other teams games just bc I live in Nacogdoches and cant make every Fairfield game but if I had a choice it would be all Fairfield games.

BuckeyeNut
06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Been a while since we discussed this---Do you attend games of more than 1 team in different classifications during the regular season, or just your home team?

When Gilmer is playing i am at there game but i have gone to watch Robert E Lee, and Longview play when the Bucks are off or a Saturday game.

Bullaholic
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
How many different teams have you supported as your home team due to your, or your family's, job moves, etc. ? Which ones?

Ex-Tiger2005
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
i will go watch others if snyder has thurs or sat game but i gotta support the little brother and sister(cheerleader).

BuckeyeNut
06-16-2009, 02:51 PM
How many different teams have you supported as your home team due to job moves, etc. ?
I worked for Galdewater for 2 years and still sat on gilmer when they played. :D :D

44INAROW
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Pretty much follow just the Gobblers, until playoffs - then we go watch "good games" that are in the local area. I've been to at least 10 Gobbler football games a year since 1967;) We came darn near close to moving to La Vernia in 1998 (Mr44's work thing) but that situation got "derailed" pun included lol ;) Just think - I could be on here as "7inarow" with a blue Bear as my avatar :D

ronwx5x
06-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Since I have no home team, I go to whatever game interests me on a weekly basis. Most often it is a 3A game. I've been to see Hempstead, Giddings, Liberty Hill, Wimberley, West Orange Stark, Gilmer, Caldwell, Bellville, Navasota, Cleveland Tarkington, Silsbee, Pilot Point, Celina, Needville, Newton, and several others. Planning on branching out more next season. I own part of a small plane and hope to be able to fly to some. One problem with many 3A towns is that there are no rental cars to be had so flying is sometimes not practical.

Bullaholic
06-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Pretty much follow just the Gobblers, until playoffs - then we go watch "good games" that are in the local area. I've been to at least 10 Gobbler football games a year since 1967;)

I knew both you and I are longtime "homers", 44', but won't it be interesting if somebody is willing to admit that they have lived in and supported both---say Sweetwater and Snyder over the years? I think DaHop admitted this situation in his history a couple of times.

waterboy
06-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I go to all the Buckeye games. The Buckeyes usually play several playoff games every year, so that leaves little time to see any other teams play. During the Buckeyes' open week I usually try to catch a game if my daughters' school is playing, but they've been open the same week as the Buckeyes. Back before the Buckeyes were playing DEEP into the playoffs I used to follow other East Texas teams with their playoff runs. I'm still a fan of any East Texas team............unless they play the Buckeyes.;)

waterboy
06-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
I worked for Gladewater for 2 years and still sat on Gilmer when they played. :D :D
:eek: Oh, my! I'll bet they didn't let you off easy. That's a big rivalry. Two Upshur County teams that have schools about the same size, in the same district (at least in this alignment), both teams have the initials G.B., are orange and black, and are only about 13 miles apart.........:eek: At least you stay loyal to the ORIGINAL orange and black G.B.!:D :2thumbsup

waterboy
06-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Since I have no home team, I go to whatever game interests me on a weekly basis. Most often it is a 3A game. I've been to see Hempstead, Giddings, Liberty Hill, Wimberley, West Orange Stark, Gilmer, Caldwell, Bellville, Navasota, Cleveland Tarkington, Silsbee, Pilot Point, Celina, Needville, Newton, and several others. Planning on branching out more next season. I own part of a small plane and hope to be able to fly to some. One problem with many 3A towns is that there are no rental cars to be had so flying is sometimes not practical.
Call me if you ever come to Gilmer and I'll pick you up at the airport!:thumbsup:

ronwx5x
06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Call me if you ever come to Gilmer and I'll pick you up at the airport!:thumbsup:

Is Kilgore usually a good one? Looks like Week 3.

IHStangFan
06-16-2009, 03:08 PM
I follow a few teams.....

Needville: This is where I make my home and where my children will go to school.

Ingleside: Town where I grew up and still have family.

Tombstone, AZ: Spent 2 years there and enjoyed watching some Tombstone Yellow Jacket Football. They are 2A...although AZ is structured a little different than TX when it comes to the classifications and how the playoffs work.

pirate4state
06-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Sinton, Gilmer & Liberty Hill: those are the teams I've watched the most the past 2-3 years

BuckeyeNut
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:eek: Oh, my! I'll bet they didn't let you off easy. That's a big rivalry. Two Upshur County teams that have schools about the same size, in the same district (at least in this alignment), both teams have the initials G.B., are orange and black, and are only about 13 miles apart.........:eek: At least you stay loyal to the ORIGINAL orange and black G.B.!:D :2thumbsup

Funny is i would were my Black Flag shrit under my shrit and tie its was great

Rabid Cougar
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Only the China Spring Cougars.
Since Waco area has a good variety of play-off games, I will attend the best availible game when the Cougars are not playing. I get "Downlow" for Cameron from parents.

Sweetwater Red
06-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Here are the teams that I saw play last year and the number of
times.

Sweetwater 11
Liberty Hill 3
Wylie 2
Brownwood 2
Monahans 2
Bridgeport 2
Graham 1
Snyder 1
Celina 1
Seminole 1
Clyde(2A) 1
Big Spring(4A) 1

waterboy
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Is Kilgore usually a good one? Looks like Week 3.
It should be a good one! They were the only team to beat us last year, except for that 3 point loss to Carthage in Regional Finals. I'm looking for some revenge this year! My Buckeyes had their worst (and sloppiest) regular season game that I can remember in a long time last year. We should do much better this year. Friday, September 18, I will pick you up. PM me that week and we'll work out the details.

STANG RED
06-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Dont worry about that. I bet just one post on here would net you dozens of transportation offers.
Venture on out to Sweetwater sometime. We'll treat you so many ways, your bound to like some of them. Might even treat you to a world famous Mrs. Allens dinner, if you get here early enough.:D

I think I've made the last 5 or 6 Wylie / Snyder games. If Sweetwaters open or playing a weak opponent, I'll usually go watch Wylie, Snyder, Roscoe, or what ever appears to be the best game in the area. Mustang Bowl always gets some great playoff games of all classifications. I try to make as many of those as possible. The Bridgeport / Monahans playoff game last season was incredible.

ronwx5x
06-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Dont worry about that. I bet just one post on here would net you dozens of transportation offers.
Venture on out to Sweetwater sometime. We'll treat you so many ways, your bound to like some of them. Might even treat you to a world famous Mrs. Allens dinner, if you get here early enough.:D

I think I've made the last 5 or 6 Wylie / Snyder games. If Sweetwaters open or playing a weak opponent, I'll usually go watch Wylie, Snyder, Roscoe, or what ever appears to be the best game in the area. Mustang Bowl always gets some great playoff games of all classifications. I try to make as many of those as possible. The Bridgeport / Monahans playoff game last season was incredible.

Thanks for the offer. Certainly not out of the question!:) I grew up in Ozona so I know and appreciate smaller towns.

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
How many different teams have you supported as your home team due to your, or your family's, job moves, etc. ? Which ones?
Eleventy-three. :D

Pecos
Roaring Springs
Friona
Frenship
Canadian
Amherst
Crosbyton
Lubbock ISD schools (semi-support, but only watched Lubbock High - 1 scrimmage, 1 game)
Shallowater (lhpd's alma mater)
Liberty Hill

IHStangFan
06-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the offer. Certainly not out of the question!:) I grew up in Ozona so I know and appreciate smaller towns. WOW....Ozona.....one of my favorite "fuel up" spots when I used to drive back and forth from TX to AZ. Nice little town.

TexasHSFB
06-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I mainly follow West Columbia, but I will support D 26, then D25 in order when it comes to playoffs. I try to attend the most appealing matchup in the playoffs (Within 200 miles) regardless of classification.

I made it all the way to Lufkin for Gilmer/WO-S last year. :eek:

I also follow 5A Brazoswood (The rest of my family goes there) and 4A Angleton (My neighbors to the east).

ronwx5x
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
WOW....Ozona.....one of my favorite "fuel up" spots when I used to drive back and forth from TX to AZ. Nice little town.

I would say that as far apart as towns are out there, you better stop for fuel and food!:eek: Far more remote than Sweetwater. From Ozona to the nearest place that has over 10,000 people is 82 miles, San Angelo.

Have you ever driven through the east side of town? It is a four lane road completely enclosed by pecan trees.

DaHop72
06-16-2009, 05:28 PM
but won't it be interesting if somebody is willing to admit that they have lived in and supported both---say Sweetwater and Snyder over the years? I think DaHop admitted this situation in his history a couple of times. Guilty as charged Bull.:D :D

DU_stud04
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
the last 3 years ive seen gilmer more than any other team, abilene wylie second then sweetwater.... looks like this next season should be about the same.

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Other than our opponents (and obviously US :p ), I think Cuero is the team I've seen most over the years. I finally got a chance to see Sinton and one of these days (when kids are gone), I plan to see Greenwood and hopefully AP.

I always support "the girls", which are a couple more than these teams. Other than that, it "depends".

IHStangFan
06-16-2009, 05:47 PM
I would say that as far apart as towns are out there, you better stop for fuel and food!:eek: Far more remote than Sweetwater. From Ozona to the nearest place that has over 10,000 people is 82 miles, San Angelo.

Have you ever driven through the east side of town? It is a four lane road completely enclosed by pecan trees. I believe I have...but usually when I'd pass through it'd be night time and very late. Most everything would be closed.

ronwx5x
06-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I believe I have...but usually when I'd pass through it'd be night time and very late. Most everything would be closed.

How are you holding up to the heat and stress over there? Pretty miserable in the Houston area too, it's been 95 or 96 every day for the past week. I don't even need to mention the humidity! I walk in the evening and it gets later and later when I start.

Emerson1
06-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Forney in the regular season. Then when we miss the playoffs or lose in round 1 I go to every Copperas Cove game.

Will have to catch a North Forney game this year too I guess

Trashman
06-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Go to Brownwood games mostly. Go watch my home town team Mason (1A) when the are playing close by. Go to Early games if they are playing an important game that does not clash with either Brownwood or Mason.

wildstangs
06-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Don't make too many Sweetwater games anymore (only the Liberty Hill game last year). I work for Granbury, and still like to see how Plainview is doing. Always interested to see the Wylie and Snyder scores.

In the playoffs, if a West Texas team is left that is who I pull for.

STAggie
06-17-2009, 08:40 AM
I mostly go to Sealy football games. Have been known to make good games that are in the area but other than that mostly Sealy.

Ranger Mom
06-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Here are the teams that I saw play last year and the number of
times.

Sweetwater 11
Liberty Hill 3
Wylie 2
Brownwood 2
Monahans 2
Bridgeport 2
Graham 1
Snyder 1
Celina 1
Seminole 1
Clyde(2A) 1
Big Spring(4A) 1

What???

No Greenwood??

I could have SWORN I talked to you IN PERSON at Sweetwater Vs. Greenwood at Shotwell!!