PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Western?

SHSBulldog00
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
What is it?

I'll nominate Lonesome Dove

I watched it the last two night's on AMC. Been a long time since I've seen it. I think I'm gonna watch Return to Lonesome Dove tonight (I own it also).

I_Do_Care
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Unforgiven or Tombstone.

big daddy russ
06-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Tough call. This may be sacreligious, but I'm a huge fan of Open Range.

Other personal favorites include the Magnificent Seven, High Plains Drifter, Rio Lobo, El Dorado, and The Professionals.

waterboy
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
"The Outlaw Josey Wales"
"3:10 to Yuma"
"Lonesome Dove"
"Open Range"
"Unforgiven"

These are just a few of the westerns that come to mind, although there are some more that rank right up there with them. I love westerns, but the quality westerns are few and far between.

Maroon87
06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Tough call. This may be sacreligious, but I'm a huge fan of Open Range.

Same here.

"Button, if you're gonna pick your feet like a monkey, you get down wind!"

Ranger Mom
06-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I am embarrassed to admit that I have never watched any of the above named movies!!

pirate4state
06-15-2009, 01:23 PM
I haven't really watched any of the true old westerns, but I like these modern ones: Tombstone, 3:10 to Yuma & Open Range

Does Young Guns count? :D

waterboy
06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Does Young Guns count? :D [/B]
Yep. That one counts. "Young Guns" and "Young Guns 2" are pretty good movies. "Did you see the size of that chicken?":D

waterboy
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I am embarrassed to admit that I have never watched any of the above named movies!!
:eek: What? You don't like westerns?:eek:

PPSTATEBOUND
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
The Cowboys.....John Wayne

Ranger Mom
06-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:eek: What? You don't like westerns?:eek:

Well....now that Young Guns has been mentioned....I guess I HAVE watched one!!:p

I've seen American Outlaws too....is that considered a Western?

Farmersfan
06-15-2009, 03:45 PM
The outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Dances with Wolves
The Cowboy Way
Urban Cowboy
Mackintosh and T.J. (Roy Rogers movie filmed in my hometown)

Ranger Mom
06-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Dances with Wolves
The Cowboy Way
Urban Cowboy
Mackintosh and T.J. (Roy Rogers movie filmed in my hometown)

The cowboy way??

Is that the one with Woody Harrelson in it??

piratebg
06-15-2009, 04:41 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/DJ-Models/Back%20To%20The%20Future/BTTFIII.jpg

Old Cardinal
06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
"High Noon" Will always be a classic..

sinton66
06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Well....now that Young Guns has been mentioned....I guess I HAVE watched one!!:p

I've seen American Outlaws too....is that considered a Western?

You MUST watch "Open Range". I'm not a big Kevin Costner fan, but this is the best he ever did. He read the script and financed it with his own money. I promise, this is a VERY good movie. Even has a love story built in for the ladies.;)

Trashman
06-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Bandolero! With Jimmy stewart who steals the entire film with his impersonation of a hangman to free the Bishop gang. I also like John Wayne, western movies.:D

Farmersfan
06-16-2009, 08:31 AM
The cowboy way??

Is that the one with Woody Harrelson in it??

Yea! Harrelson and Keefer Sutherland. It's a great show. Some might not think it's actually a western but it has cowboys, rodeo, fighting, guns and Indians.............. What more do you need?
This brings up a good point: What is required for a movie to be considered a WESTERN???

Farmersfan
06-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
You MUST watch "Open Range". I'm not a big Kevin Costner fan, but this is the best he ever did. He read the script and financed it with his own money. I promise, this is a VERY good movie. Even has a love story built in for the ladies.;)

Open Range was a good movie but I thought it had some really, really bad writing. Some of the lines in the show were totally ridiculous. If not for the two great actors (Costner & Duval) it would have flopped really bad.

Reds fan
06-16-2009, 09:00 AM
I would add this to the list:

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"

Phil C
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I hesitate to pick one that is the greatest because there have been so many outstanding ones. Even though I would hate to pick out one I sure wouldn't mind pointing out the many outstanding ones which would include Dawn at Socorro with Rory Calhoun.

Pick6
06-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I can't believe no one has said Blazzing Saddles or The Villian :)

lakers
06-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Rio Bravo

Trashman
06-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
I would add this to the list:

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"

:iagree:

95mustang
06-20-2009, 02:10 AM
High Noon
Unforgiven
Shane
Open Range (gun fight at the end)

wimbo_pro
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Lonesome Dove is in a category all its own regarding "Westerns", mostly because its a mini-series of about 10 hours long. But how can you not vote Guss in as one of the all time best cowboy characters!!!??

Open Range is definitely a good movie, right up there with Unforgiven (but not quite, in my opinion).

I guess Dances With Wolves really isnt a "western", eh? If it were, I would vote for it as the best movie, followed by Unforgiven.

The best mini-series of all time? Two of them...Lonesome Dove and Band of Brothers...but I just got off topic.

Phil C
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Open Range was great. The dialogue between Kostner and Duval was outstanding.
For years The Ox Bo Incident with Henry Fonda was considered a top western as was High Noon with Gary Cooper. 3:10 to Yuma (the Glenn Ford version was a top western).

sinton66
06-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I've watched a LOT of westerns in my time , and Unforgiven and Open Range are my clear favorites. Both these films were done in a down to earth "realistic" view of the old west and depict how it most likely really was as opposed to the "Hollywood" hype of most movies. True Grit and The Shootist were others that sort of followed this same "realistic" theme, but not to the extent of these two.