PDA

View Full Version : Quickest Production Car?

big daddy russ
06-15-2009, 11:19 AM
What are the quickest true production cars? 0-60 and 1/4 mile?

I've heard the Bugatti Veryon has some unheard of 0-60. I want to say I heard it was in the 2's, but could be wrong.

I also know the old Whale Tail Porsche 911 Turbo's ran 0-60 in the mid-3's and the 1/4 in the 11's and some of the old Mopar Hemis ran similar 1/4's.

PS: No aftermarket production cars, like the Rufs (Porsche knockoffs), Callaway Corvettes, SVT Mustangs, and Hennessey Vipers. Just straight-from-the-original-assembly-line cars.

Electus Unus
06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
The car you speak of can go to 0-60 then back to 0 in 4 seconds. It is also the fastes top end speed production car in the world. Cost 1.5 mill though

Bullaholic
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
The car you speak of can go to 0-60 then back to 0 in 4 seconds. It is also the fastes top end speed production car in the world. Cost 1.5 mill though

Not anymore, on the top end, according to this:

I realize you did say "quickest" and not "fastest"---

http://www.allfastcars.com/fastestcars.shtml

Russ, I also really liked this Youtube link put up by Phantom Stang a couple of weeks ago about a man's passion for the old "muscle cars"---I am one of those guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnPQp-PwqXQ&feature=channel_page

IHStangFan
06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey Russ!!

I believe the Veyron will do 0-60 in under 3 seconds...2.9 seconds if I'm not mistaken. In the neighborhood of 1000hp w/ it's quad turbo'd V16. This is mind boggling when I think the fastest car I've ever driven will do it in about 4.4 seconds...and that's my aunt's LS2 powered Steve Mallett Conversions Pontiac Solstice which is SCARY fast. So it's hard for me to imagine something as fast as the Veyron.

I've heard claim that the Konnegsag CCX is about it's only challenger. I believe it's around 900hp and is a supercharged V8...but is MUCH lighter than the Bugatti.

In the "bang for the buck" dept. there isn't much that'll touch the new Corvette ZR1 w/ it's supercharged 7.0L (I believe that is the displacement) 638hp pushrod V8. It handles as well as it goes in a straight line and posts very impressive skidpad numbers. It'll destroy many cars what cost twice as much.

Luxury sports sedan.....you're hard pressed to beat (this pains me to say this) the Caddy CTS-V w/ it's magnetic suspension and 552hp V8. It posted the fastest time around the Neuburg ring for a sports sedan....even faster than the Mercs and Bimmers in it's class.....impressive.

You know I love cars...but in the last few years I've kinda been outa the loop and haven't been doing as much reading as I once used to. LOL.

big daddy russ
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Pocket change.

Originally posted by Bullaholic
Not anymore, according to this:

http://www.allfastcars.com/fastestcars.shtml

Russ, I also really liked this Youtube link put up by Phantom Stang a couple of weeks ago about a man's passion for the old "muscle cars"---I am one of those guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnPQp-PwqXQ&feature=channel_page
Awesome video, and I'm with you on that. They were just prettier cars back then. I grew up in a first-generation Mustang family. My dad had two '66 coupes and a '65 convertible (that he still owns), all with 289's, and he also had an old '50 Ford coupe thrown in there somewhere.

Great little cruisers, and the Mustangs caught up with the power of the Mopars and Chevys there towards the end of the 60's, when the 302 and 426 showed up.

Nothing made me happier than to see Detroit redesigning their "pony cars" in honor of the old muscle cars starting with the '05 Mustang. I miss the old cars, now at least we get to look at some newer ones that have the long, strong lines that the old ones had. I've been really impressed with the new Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers. Hopefully, these new emissions laws won't kill this wave of muscle cars like it did in the early-70's.

gatordaze
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009 Nissan GTR

0-60 mph in 3,3 seconds
1/4 mile in 11,6 seconds, 121 mph

Runs on rice!

big daddy russ
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
You know I love cars...but in the last few years I've kinda been outa the loop and haven't been doing as much reading as I once used to. LOL.
Me neither. I've been focused on family cars more than the adrenaline producers.

2.9 for the Veryon, eh? That's scary fast... crotch rocket quickness on four wheels.

I saw that GM reissued the ZR1. Didn't realize how much power it had, though. I know they're starting to push the envelope with, *ahem*, affordable muscle cars. That new Camaro has a V6 that puts out 304 hp AND gets 29 mpg on the highway.

Wow.

My dad was just telling me a few weeks ago that they're putting 426 hp in their V8's. When was the last time a Camaro saw that much power? To my knowledge, the most a production Camaro's ever had was 425, but I may be wrong on that. Would we have to break out the old Yenkos to find a Camaro with that much muscle?

IHStangFan
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009 Nissan GTR

0-60 mph in 3,3 seconds
1/4 mile in 11,6 seconds, 121 mph

Runs on rice! Negative Ghost Rider....

2009 Corvette ZR1 destroyed it in every category except for 0-60 and that'd due to the AWD system of the GTR off the line.....it also set a record at the salt flats for fastest production car pass of over 170 mph on the salt through a running mile.

0-60: 3.3seconds
1/4 mile: 11.2 @ 131mph

BILLYFRED0000
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Well in the bang for the buck theory the 09 nissan gt-r seats four.
all wheel drive and does 0-60
3.3 seconds. Now that is very quick and it comes in at 80 thou give or take a few and the line was the quickest not the fastest.
So I am with gator on that one. not bad at all.

IHStangFan
06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
LOL....I hear ya...

These days you'll find a 2003 F 250 diesel and a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe in my driveway....and get this....BOTH ARE STOCK....who would of thought?!?! LOL

There is a video on youtube comparing the ZR1 to the GTR for your viewing pleasure. While the GTR is VERY impressive, it just isn't as fast as the Corvette.

As far as the Camaros....yes...that is just nuts. I believe you WOULD have to go back to the ZL1 alumn. blocked 427 powered Yenko and COPO cars to find one w/ that kinda power.

Yeah....I know the Bugatti does it in under 3 seconds....not sure on the exact time though....there IS a video of one DESTROYING that swoopy lookin... 800K-1M dollar Mercedes/McLearen (Not to be confused w/ the McLearen F1 which was actually BMW powered) venture that came out a few years back.....whatever that thing is.

Originally posted by big daddy russ
Me neither. I've been focused on family cars more than the adrenaline producers.

2.9 for the Veryon, eh? That's scary fast... crotch rocket quickness on four wheels.

I saw that GM reissued the ZR1. Didn't realize how much power it had, though. I know they're starting to push the envelope with, *ahem*, affordable muscle cars. That new Camaro has a V6 that puts out 304 hp AND gets 29 mpg on the highway.

Wow.

My dad was just telling me a few weeks ago that they're putting 426 hp in their V8's. When was the last time a Camaro saw that much power? To my knowledge, the most a production Camaro's ever had was 425, but I may be wrong on that. Would we have to break out the old Yenkos to find a Camaro with that much muscle?

IHStangFan
06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I hear ya....they ARE impressive....but the ZR1 is quicker, faster...anyway you want to dice it. It IS a bit more pricey at 100K. As far as the "seats 4" aspect of the GT-R....yes they have a "rear seat" but having looked at them a few times now.....I can say w/ certanty you are not getting two full grown adults back there w/ any sort of ease....much less travel any distance in the cramped seating position back there as "seats 4" would suggest. LOL. Impressive car though none the less.

Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Well in the bang for the buck theory the 09 nissan gt-r seats four.
all wheel drive and does 0-60
3.3 seconds. Now that is very quick and it comes in at 80 thou give or take a few and the line was the quickest not the fastest.
So I am with gator on that one. not bad at all.

big daddy russ
06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
I just checked out that GT-R. Sweet little car. And it's a four-seater to boot? Nice.

That may be my next family car. And all for the low, low price of $80k.

After seeing these Vettes, Nissans, etc, I wonder how quick I can save up a hundred grand? Retirement be damned.

Manck
06-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Veyron hits top speed of 253mph
http://www.topgear.com/us/videos/more/veyron-v-max/

Veyron vs a fighter jet in a drag race
http://www.topgear.com/us/videos/more/veyron-vs.-fighter-jet/

Top Gear=Best Show Ever

DU_stud04
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
i know currently the fastest production car out there is the SSC Ultimate Aero TT, finally bringing the award back to the us of a. no w-16 engine like the Bugatti(which looks amazing...even in baby blue)
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww346/Jstang56/n25303331_33224064_4974.jpg
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww346/Jstang56/n25303331_33224065_5364.jpg
running on a twin turbo(going back to the aero tt) took the title from Bugatti and seems like they dont want to give up the title, as they increases the horsepower another 15% on the 08 model, giving it a weight to power of 2.14 a new production record. only goes 0-60 in 2.78 seconds though, compared to veyrons 2.46. they say the veyron, running at full capacity, the tires would shred apart after 16 minutes..... good thing the gas tank only would last 12 minutes going full speed.

DU_stud04
06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan

Yeah....I know the Bugatti does it in under 3 seconds....not sure on the exact time though....there IS a video of one DESTROYING that swoopy lookin... 800K-1M dollar Mercedes/McLearen (Not to be confused w/ the McLearen F1 which was actually BMW powered) venture that came out a few years back.....whatever that thing is. i think the mercedes youre talking about is the mercedes slr....its a sexy beast still.
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww346/Jstang56/SLR-Mclaren-mercedes-benz-40965_600.jpg

going back to the zr1... powered by a supercharged gm ls3.... i love the ls line.... some mean sounding engines. really liked the ls7(engine in the z06....aka The Largest, Most Powerful Small-Block Ever Built)...would change out the cam shaft and rods....should boost it over 600rwhp.... got a friend working on a project car for fun....dont vomit...but he's stripping the rotary engine from a 97 rx7, dropping in the moded ls7 engine in it.... surprisingly...should only add about 20 lbs to the car overall. should be a monster when its gets running, still doing some body work to it. e-b should look like this in a few months :)
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww346/Jstang56/3436807025_67acee2cfd.jpg

sahen
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
i dont know much about cars...but i think i may get me one of those new challengers or camaros when i get my next car (it'll be the first new one i ever buy)...just got to get the money saved up...if i coudl get these student loans paid off it'd be a lot easier...