PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M wins two more National Championships in 2009!

PhiI C
06-13-2009, 06:40 PM
They won both the men and women's outdoor track and field national champions. It is rare that a school wins both of them. Congratulations to the Aggies and Lady Aggies.

GetRDoneStangs
06-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
They won both the men and women's outdoor track and field national champions. It is rare that a school wins both of them. Congratulations to the Aggies and Lady Aggies.

Congratulations are in order indeed!!!

A very nice finish for the Ags...I hope they can continue next fall!!!

:D :D :clap: :clap:

navscanmaster
06-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Ditto. But you know that no one will take them seriously without some football success. I plan on attending every football game I can this year. I would sure like to make some roundball games, too.

GetRDoneStangs
06-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Ditto. But you know that no one will take them seriously without some football success. I plan on attending every football game I can this year. I would sure like to make some roundball games, too.

I agree, BUT...THREE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS in 3 major sports is more than most schools can lay claim to.

wildstangs
06-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
I agree, BUT...THREE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS in 3 major sports is more than most schools can lay claim to.

golf is a major sport now?!?!?!

GetRDoneStangs
06-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs

I would think so....if you turn your TV on Sunday afternoons....I don't golf, but it is a major sport. It gets more air than...:thinking: :thinking:

44INAROW
06-13-2009, 08:57 PM

Ask Tiger Woods;) Golf is one of the very few things that most people can do as a 17 year old and continue doing it until they are in their 70's+ Yes, it's a major sport.

etbu
06-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Gig'em. :D

Bull Butter
06-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Strange that NCAA Golf isn't any bigger than is, seeing how many top professional golfers played in college........

Tiger Woods---Stanford
Jack Nicklaus--- Ohio State
Arnold Palmer---Wake Forest
Phil Mickelson---Arizona State
Jim Furyk---Arizona
Lorena Ochoa---Arizona
Annika Sorenstam---Arizona
Kenny Perry--- W. Kentucky
Zach Johnson---Drake
Tom Watson---Stanford
Davis Love III---North Carolina
John Daly---Arkansas
Justin Leonard---Texas
Ben Crenshaw---Texas
Tom Kite---Texas
Payne Stewart---SMU
Rocco Mediate---Florida Southern
Johnny Miller---Brigham Young
David Duval---Georgia Tech
Fred Couples---Houston
Steve Elkington---Houston
Fuzzy Zoeller---Houston
Jeff Maggert---Texas A&M

wildstangs
06-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I have never sat around and watched a NCAA golf tournament. Is it even on TV? Never checked the polls to see who was ranked in college golf.

National championship? Yes
Major college sport? No

Congrats to the Ags on their track titles. Winning both the men and the womens crowns is VERY impressive.

Phil C
06-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I have never sat around and watched a NCAA golf tournament. Is it even on TV? Never checked the polls to see who was ranked in college golf.

National championship? Yes
Major college sport? No

Congrats to the Ags on their track titles. Winning both the men and the womens crowns is VERY impressive.

This is a good point by wildstangs. If they were major sports they would be shown live like football and basketball and baseball national championship games. Golf isn't shown at all and Track and Field isn't shown until days later on a tape delayed basis. Still 3 NCs is impressive.

Phil C
06-14-2009, 11:48 AM
In view of the fan interest and tv coverage I have my opion on the top college sports especially in Texas.

1. Football - Well head of every other sport

2&3. Basketball and Baseball - Both are ranked much higher than the others but well under the rest. You can reverse the order but these are the two lower major sports.

4. Track and Field - A major minor sport ranked well below basketball and baseball but higher than the other sports.

5 and down. All other sports are minor including tennis, golf, volleyball :( and even soccer. :(

Rabid Cougar
06-14-2009, 12:14 PM
When it is football, baseball or basketball I will get excited. I know a young lady on the team and am happy for her but am not going to go chest thumping just yet.

GetRDoneStangs
06-14-2009, 03:41 PM
OK, maybe most are missing my point...Golf and Track do not get the TV as other sports (thank god!)....but to compete on that level is Major!!

Like I said earlier I do not play golf, but how many do??:thinking: :thinking:

You have average people that can play pretty dam good golf.....but are just average "Joes"...how many can claim to be the best in the nation among the best in the nation???

I agree it is not going to make prime time TV......I say it is a Major Sport because of the level of competition..

Aesculus gilmus
06-14-2009, 03:53 PM
The A&M president just resigned, for whatever reason.

wildstangs
06-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
The A&M president just resigned, for whatever reason.

She is disgusted that A&M hasn't won a national football championship since the 1930's! :)

Seems like I read in the news that she had been butting heads with the board of regents.

GetRDoneStangs
06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
She needed to go....not doing her job it appears.

A&M president resigns before regents meeting
© 2009 The Associated Press
June 14, 2009, 2:38PM

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Texas A&M President Elsa Murano has resigned — the day before a meeting of school regents to discuss her job.

Murano, the first female and first Hispanic president in the school's 132-year history, resigned in a statement Sunday. The resignation is effective Monday, the day regents were meeting about her job.

About two weeks ago, a highly critical performance review of Murano was released to the media. She received low marks for leadership and management, including the lowest marks possible for decisiveness and for not being a team player in her first full year on the job.

She said in the statement that her "passion for what the university represents" prompted her to resign in the interest of what's best for the university.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6478343.html

Rabid Cougar
06-14-2009, 10:51 PM
She was way to liberal for Mr. McKinney.

Aesculus gilmus
06-15-2009, 10:40 AM
http://www.texasmonthly.com/blogs/burkablog/?p=4151

A&M's reputation, such as it is, is poised to take another hit.

Maroon87
06-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Strange that NCAA Golf isn't any bigger than is, seeing how many top professional golfers played in college........

Tiger Woods---Stanford
Jack Nicklaus--- Ohio State
Arnold Palmer---Wake Forest
Phil Mickelson---Arizona State
Jim Furyk---Arizona
Lorena Ochoa---Arizona
Annika Sorenstam---Arizona
Kenny Perry--- W. Kentucky
Zach Johnson---Drake
Tom Watson---Stanford
Davis Love III---North Carolina
John Daly---Arkansas
Justin Leonard---Texas
Ben Crenshaw---Texas
Tom Kite---Texas
Payne Stewart---SMU
Rocco Mediate---Florida Southern
Johnny Miller---Brigham Young
David Duval---Georgia Tech
Fred Couples---Houston
Steve Elkington---Houston
Fuzzy Zoeller---Houston
Jeff Maggert---Texas A&M

Fuzzy went to U of H? For some reason I though he was a Wake Forest guy...or maybe I'm getting him confused with Curtis Strange.:thinking: