PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a "real" job?

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I just read a post that stated, "if you had a real job....."

What makes a job a "real" job?"

I work for a oil company and do lots of computer work. I am a fast worker which leaves time for me to play around on here.....does that make my job any less "real" than a person who isn't able to be on the computer as much??

Cameron Crazy
06-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I work for a oil company and do lots of computer work. I am a fast worker which leaves time for me to play around on here.....does that make my job any less "real" than a person who isn't able to be on the computer as much?? There are still oil companies out there?

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
There are still oil companies out there?

Yes....if you are going to work for an oil based company.....it is good to be on the production end.

The might not be drilling, but they are still producing....the oil has to get from point A to point B somehow!!!!

jason
06-10-2009, 09:26 AM
when you make enough to support yourself and not depend on your parents or other persons for financial support, then it is a real job....

pirate4state
06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Mine feels pretty real to me some days! I support myself & all my bad habits, so I guess it's a real job! WOO YAY ME! :cheerl:

44INAROW
06-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I have a "real" job and it has been way TOO REAL the last few days :mad: :doh: But I am not complaining - it's better than the alternative :p

waterboy
06-10-2009, 09:33 AM

I work for a oil company and do lots of computer work. I am a fast worker which leaves time for me to play around on here.....does that make my job any less "real" than a person who isn't able to be on the computer as much??
I think a "real" job is any job that requires you to be on site and you draw a paycheck for being there. I don't think it has a requirement of "manual" labor. I hope not, because I've definitely done more than my fair share of that! I ain't as young as I used to be, either.

IrishTex
06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Just my opinion but to me, there are "jobs" and then there are "careers".

To me, a job is respectable and I know we are all grateful to have a job, but I think a job is something to tide us over until we can obtain that career.

When I worked at the old Village Super Market in Sweetwater, that was a job bagging groceries.

When I went in the military, that showed me what a career was.
I think it also prepared me for a career.

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex

To me, a job is respectable and I know we are all grateful to have a job, but I think a job is something to tide us over until we can obtain that career.

When I worked at the old Village Super Market in Sweetwater, that was a job bagging groceries.

I have worked for the same company for 17 years......do I have a job or a career??

Can I label myself a "career woman?"

:eek:

44INAROW
06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex

I've had the same "job" since 1991 - it started out as a 10 hour a week "fill-in" job - now I guess it's a 40+hour a week career ;)

IrishTex
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I have worked for the same company for 17 years......do I have a job or a career??

Can I label myself a "career woman?"

:eek:

I would definately say you have made a career out of your current position. I would also mention that most "careers" have some sort of retirement benefit and the better ones are vested retirement benefits after 5 years of service, so yeah, I would think 17 years would be considered a nice career. Put it another way, if it wasn't a career, I would think a job for 17 years would be a little different.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Can you make it rain?

http://www.falconfriday.com/images//2007/05/a.jpg

Then you have a real job.:devil:

K-MAC Chuck
06-10-2009, 12:10 PM
First off - to ANYONE who has a job or career these days, I tip my hat. These tough economic times are really hard on a LOT of people.

Second - Media/Broadcasting, etc. is not a "real" job. Speaking for myself, it's a career-type endeavor, and I can say there have been a few times in 24+ years where I should have had my head examined for pursuing this! LOL :rolleyes: :cool: :doh:

BILLYFRED0000
06-10-2009, 12:15 PM
IMHO, you work for them that pays you. Job or career makes no difference. You work for the man that pays and you give him what you got. Anything else is a slacker or worse.

garciap77
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM

:thinking: :D :thinking: :D :thinking: :D

ronwx5x
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM

I think I hear a hint of "guilt" in this question.:D

piratebg
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I like to think I have a real job. It pays the bills.

Farmersfan
06-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I switched careers in mid stream 3 years back just for the benefits and quality of life. I now work in GOVERNMENT (cuss word?) and have never been happier. My employer matches 21/2 to 1 on my retirement with a guarantee 7% return and I get good medical and dental. I make about 20K a year less but don't have near the stress and I work 40 hours a week with NO OVERTIME!
At some point every person will look towards quality of life as being the #1 objective. For me it was while I was still young enough to enjoy it.

44INAROW
06-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I switched careers in mid stream 3 years back just for the benefits and quality of life. I now work in GOVERNMENT (cuss word?) and have never been happier. My employer matches 21/2 to 1 on my retirement with a guarantee 7% return and I get good medical and dental. I make about 20K a year less but don't have near the stress and I work 40 hours a week with NO OVERTIME!
At some point every person will look towards quality of life as being the #1 objective. For me it was while I was still young enough to enjoy it.
I can't speak for you or your situation but I imagine the great benefits you have are worth more (financially and emotionally) than the $20,000 cut in pay. and STRESS KILLS - so it sounds like you made a good choice :)

sahen
06-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Yes....if you are going to work for an oil based company.....it is good to be on the production end.

The might not be drilling, but they are still producing....the oil has to get from point A to point B somehow!!!!

the research end is pretty good about keeping stuff going too...but your right if oil has to they will cut everything but production to keep going...hope we dont get to that point

WildTexan972
06-10-2009, 01:46 PM
if a man does it, it is REAL work.....

if a woman does it......probably not so much....

I wonder if this one will get noticed............

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I think I hear a hint of "guilt" in this question.:D

None whatsoever!! The reason I made this post was because of this post directed toward p4s:

Some people have real jobs and dont sit around the computer all day.

I just wondered what was considered a "real job!"

Originally posted by WildTexan972
if a man does it, it is REAL work.....

if a woman does it......probably not so much....

I wonder if this one will get noticed............

Yeah....it got noticed!

After reading your posts over the years....you and I obviously have a different definition of what a "man" is!!

waterboy
06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah....it got noticed!

After reading your posts over the years....you and I obviously have a different definition of what a "man" is!! [/B]
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked003.gif Oh no you didn't..........

http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-anime-056.gif

PPHSfan
06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
If you don't love what you do you have a real "job".

If you get up in the morning and hit the ground running, because you love how you earn your living, then you don't have a "job". Working Hard does not mean hating your work.

To me a "real job" is a task you perform on any given day, that you would rather not have to do, such as cleaning the rain gutters.

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I got a lot of serious answers to a "tongue-in-cheek" question!!:D :D

WildTexan972
06-10-2009, 03:01 PM
None whatsoever!! The reason I made this post was because of this post directed toward p4s:

I just wondered what was considered a "real job!"

Yeah....it got noticed!

After reading your posts over the years....you and I obviously have a different definition of what a "man" is!!

with you livin in mitland I can see how you would be unaware of what makes a man a man....so I will help ya....

if you support Celina football you are a man.....all others are males....

get it now?

now....I went over to Pilot Point this week....is that place growin or shrinkin these days?

waterboy
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
If you don't love what you do you have a real "job".

If you get up in the morning and hit the ground running, because you love how you earn your living, then you don't have a "job". Working Hard does not mean hating your work.

To me a "real job" is a task you perform on any given day, that you would rather not have to do, such as cleaning the rain gutters.
I must not have a real job then.:( I enjoy what I do, and get decently paid to boot. There are times when I don't enjoy my job, but for the most part I do enjoy it.......comparatively speaking, that is. I don't like the other alternative.

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
with you livin in mitland I can see how you would be unaware of what makes a man a man....so I will help ya....

if you support Celina football you are a man.....all others are males....

get it now?

GAG!!!

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I must not have a real job then.:( I enjoy what I do, and get decently paid to boot. There are times when I don't enjoy my job, but for the most part I do enjoy it.......comparatively speaking, that is. I don't like the other alternative.

I thought I had a real job....until I read IrishTex post.

One downfall to my job is I have NO insurance and NO retirement benefits.

My husband, on the other hand has an excellent retirement package and insurance benefits.

So....I had to weigh the pros and cons.....and pros won out!!

Rabid Cougar
06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
23 years
26 paid vacations days a year
All expenses paid vacations to Iraq

waterboy
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought I had a real job....until I read IrishTex post.

One downfall to my job is I have NO insurance and NO retirement benefits.

My husband, on the other hand has an excellent retirement package and insurance benefits.

So....I had to weigh the pros and cons.....and pros won out!!
I'm definitely NOT going to complain. These days having a real job is becoming a hard thing to hold on to. I'm very thankful for the fact I have a job, get decent pay, have medical and dental insurance, and a company truck.

Trashman
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM

If you have a job that provides a pay check then you have a real job. What type of work you do is not relevant. To me, working in an office all day kills me, I would rather be out running heavy equipment. But i make a lot more by being in this office. :D

garciap77
06-10-2009, 03:49 PM
.................................if you support Celina football you are a man.....all others are males....

I hate them Whataburger Uniforms!:D

;)

lulu
06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked003.gif Oh no you didn't..........

http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-anime-056.gif

Oh yes she did....and mighty proud of her I might add:clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2009, 05:28 PM
I think a "real" job is any job that requires you to be on site and you draw a paycheck for being there.
One word negates that.....telecommuting. I did it for 3 1/2 years straight and off and on before that for about 7 years.

sinfan75
06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by jason
when you make enough to support yourself and not depend on your parents or other persons for financial support, then it is a real job.... What he said.