PDA

View Full Version : Bonham opens

Twirling Time
06-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Head football coach goes to Orange Grove.

http://www.heralddemocrat.com/hd/Sports/6-10-Bonham-FB-coach

Big-time Bruce Bush disciple, but couldn't get the slot to work despite having the athletes. A once-proud program is in a bad way right now. I wouldn't count out Ronnie Hill taking the football job back.

turbostud
06-10-2009, 07:30 AM
I work with Bruce Bush. He sure knows his football but can be an abrasive guy. The Slot T is hard to master and implement.

westcoast54
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
What are the kids like in Bonham?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-10-2009, 11:09 AM
The Slot-T offense I actually found pretty easy to learn. It all depends on the coach who is teaching it, IMO.

Everyone has to be pretty smart, especially the offensive line, since blocking assignments can change depending on the defense that's in front of you.

BILLYFRED0000
06-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54

There was something of a rebellion. The good athletes quit and left him short handed. When they played us they did not have enough to field a jv and freshman team so they would not play our jv only our fresh team. It was the kids that were the problem IMHO. We played them two years in our district and they had athletes but did not play football. No discipline. Could not or would not do fundamentals.

ronwx5x
06-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54

Young.:)

turbostud
06-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Could not or would not do fundamentals.

That will kill a team.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
There was something of a rebellion. The good athletes quit and left him short handed. When they played us they did not have enough to field a jv and freshman team so they would not play our jv only our fresh team. It was the kids that were the problem IMHO. We played them two years in our district and they had athletes but did not play football. No discipline. Could not or would not do fundamentals.

That's just stupid, seriously. What were those kids there thinking?

Those athletes that were Seniors will now never get the chance to take back what they did. The Juniors and below, hopefully, learned their lessons and will come back to the program.

Such a shame though.

turbostud
06-10-2009, 05:08 PM
If you read the comments below the article there are Bonham folks complaining about the pay of the district. Their pay scale mirrors other schools in the area. They are not the lowest paying district in the area.
What it comes down to is the kids, parents, and school board members and whether or not they want to accept the change that comes with a new coach. I have seen teams that when you put the pads and helmets on kids they think they are superstars. That is not how it works. You have to work for it and earn it. Great leaders get others to move in a direction that is sensible for themselves, the business, and the community. Change isnt the issue, arrogance is.

Twirling Time
06-10-2009, 05:39 PM
I wasn't aware of all the problems at Bonham. I just knew they had athletes in school who were winning powerlifting meets and going to the state track meet and going to the playoffs in baseball. Some groups of athletes are just good in everything else but just not in football. That was what I was thinking about Bonham before.

Sounds a lot like what happened at Gainesville, except I believe Gainesville's issue was a disciplinary one and a lot different. If Bonham gets a coach who can get the athletes to come back out, they'll right the ship pretty quick.

turbostud
06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Some groups of athletes are just good in everything else but just not in football.

You nailed it with that comment. I graduated from a high school in the area with the same problem. On a couple of occasions that school has even brought in coaches from Celina who think they can turn the football program around and it just doesnt happen. If the kids dont want to work for it, it isnt going to happen.

Farmersfan
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
The whole community of Bonham has issues. I can't really remember the details but didn't the parents and kids get into a huge dispute recently with the admin about a dress code issue? Seems like the news channels had crews camped out there to catch every little detail. It got pretty combative for a little while. Anyone remember the details?

Twirling Time
06-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Heard some interesting scuttlebutt that the baseball coach that was going to go to Oklahoma will stay and become head football coach instead.

westcoast54
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Heard some interesting scuttlebutt that the baseball coach that was going to go to Oklahoma will stay and become head football coach instead.

That's interesting. The job is posted...but, that doesn't mean anything.