PDA

View Full Version : Corpus Chrisit Area is High School Baseball Country

Phil C
06-09-2009, 04:56 PM
And I am not just talking about Corpus Christi Moody who is going to State this week. Also I am talking about a radius within 100 miles of Corpus Christi, Texas as well as that area. We have had several schools from all classes win state high school baseball championships (some more than 1) in the past 30 years.
These winners include: Corpus Christi Moody, Calallen, Riviera, Victoria Stroman, Orange Grove, Sinton, Pettus, Freer, Robstown, Falfurrias, Odem and Kenedy. Also Three Rivers, Corpus Christi Carroll and Kingsville Academy have reached State Finals.

Please let me know if I have overlooked anyone.

One of the most dominate teams was the 1994 State Champions from Orange Grove. They won district 31AAA and dominated the playoffs:

Bi District defeated Port Isabel 10 to 2
Area defeated Pearsall 8 to 0
Regional Semi defeated Fredericksburg 4 - 1 (closest game)
Regional Finals defeated Bandera 5 - 1

At State
State Semis defeated Robinson 10 to 1
State Championship defeated Alpine 10 - 0.

Maroon87
06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

One of the most dominate teams was the 1994 State Champions from Orange Grove.

Actually....THE most dominate was last year's Calallen squad: 42-1 Class 4A champs.:clap:

PhiI C
06-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Actually....THE most dominate was last year's Calallen squad: 42-1 Class 4A champs.:clap:

You have got a strong point Maroon87 and thank you for pointing that out. Calallen really dominated that year in both the regular season and the playoffs. Ironically their only loss was to Sinton 3 - 6. :)

DDBooger
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
You have got a strong point Maroon87 and thank you for pointing that out. Calallen really dominated that year in both the regular season and the playoffs. Ironically their only loss was to Sinton 3 - 6. :) :dispntd: Moody

Maroon87
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Ironically their only loss was to Sinton 3 - 6. :)

Phil I think we shut out Sinton twice last year. Nice try LOL...:crazy: ;)

Bull Butter
06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
And I am not just talking about Corpus Christi Moody who is going to State this week. Also I am talking about a radius within 100 miles of Corpus Christi, Texas as well as that area. We have had several schools from all classes win state high school baseball championships (some more than 1) in the past 30 years.
These winners include: Corpus Christi Moody, Calallen, Riviera, Victoria Stroman, Orange Grove, Sinton, Pettus, Freer, Robstown, Falfurrias, Odem and Kenedy. Also Three Rivers, Corpus Christi Carroll and Kingsville Academy have reached State Finals.

One of the most dominate teams was the 1994 State Champions from Orange Grove. They won district 31AAA and dominated the playoffs:

At State

I remember that Orange Grove team well. Their Pitcher threw a no-hitter in the Championship game

PhiI C
06-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Phil I think we shut out Sinton twice last year. Nice try LOL...:crazy: ;)

Actually you did shut us out the first game 4 - 0 but that was when we still had some players in basketball but later - well see below and scroll down on the regular season to the 21st team and see it is Sinton. And then scroll down to the 21st score. It is 3-6 Sinton. The Moody score was won by Calallen 7 - 0. :)

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/baseball_teamdetail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=web_list&-Database=baseball_tourn&-KeyValue=263

LH Panther Mom
06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Actually you did shut us out the first game 4 - 0 but that was when we still had some players in basketball but later - well see below and scroll down on the regular season to the 21st team and see it is Sinton. And then scroll down to the 21st score. It is 3-6 Sinton. The Moody score was won by Calallen 7 - 0. :)

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/baseball_teamdetail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=web_list&-Database=baseball_tourn&-KeyValue=263
UIL site looks to be wrong.

3ADL reporting (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=79718) ;)

SintonFan
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
UIL site looks to be wrong.

3ADL reporting (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=79718) ;)
Looks like the Godfather needs to start getting rough with people again. Let me at 'em Godfather!!!
:eek: :D

Maroon87
06-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I see the UIL is getting their stats from the CC Caller Times...:thinking: :doh:

44INAROW
06-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I see the UIL is getting their stats from the CC Caller Times...:thinking: :doh:
lol :D

Ex-Tiger2005
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM

At State

Why are yall so successful? Do yall have a lot of one sport athletes? Do yall do the year round select teams? It is amazing how dominant that are is.

Phil C
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
Why are yall so successful? Do yall have a lot of one sport athletes? Do yall do the year round select teams? It is amazing how dominant that are is.

Ex-Tiger2005 I am not sure about the 4A or 5A schools but I would expect that they are mostly all years round sports athletes. In Sinton we have several that play football, basketball and baseball and I imagine that is the case in lots of schools.
For example I know we had a great pitcher a few years ago that helped us win state and make the state finals and did an outstanding job at the University of Texas and is in pro baseball now by the name of Adrian Alaniz. He also was the QB for us on some good football teams and led us to the state championship game his senior year. I don't know if he played basketball or not. Also Mike Adams was a great baseball player for us and he is in the pros. He was also an outstanding basketball player and we won state in basketball his senior year.

pirate4state
06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Ex-Tiger2005 I am not sure about the 4A or 5A schools but I would expect that they are mostly all years round sports athletes. In Sinton we have several that play football, basketball and baseball and I imagine that is the case in lots of schools.
For example I know we had a great pitcher a few years ago that helped us win state and make the state finals and did an outstanding job at the University of Texas and is in pro baseball now by the name of Adrian Alaniz. He also was the QB for us on some good football teams and led us to the state championship game his senior year. I don't know if he played basketball or not. Also Mike Adams was a great baseball player for us and he is in the pros. He was also an outstanding basketball player and we won state in basketball his senior year.

Actually, it was Adrian's junior year the year Sinton made it to state in football. He did make it to state in baseball both his junior & senior year.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-10-2009, 10:46 AM
yea i remember him he was a stud!

Maroon87
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Calallen generally has several kids who play multiple sports, but there are also a good number who are baseball-only.

I know a good number of them are also active on year-round select teams as well. In fact Danaher ( the football coach/AD) has commented that it's hard to get kids to the summer weight program because of all the baseball tournaments going on.:D

NastySlot
06-10-2009, 11:07 AM

all that information that the uil has is sent by the schools (coaches) following completion of the region semis.....game results rosters and stats...are sent by the coach...(type/entered)......a team photo is also sent........this goes on the website and in the state tourney programs.

Maroon87
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
all that information that the uil has is sent by the schools (coaches) following completion of the region semis.....game results rosters and stats...are sent by the coach...(type/entered)......a team photo is also sent........this goes on the website and in the state tourney programs.

LOL I know...that was an inside joke for the Coastal Bend folks, since the C-T is not exactly known for their accuracy.

;)

pirate4state
06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Why are yall so successful? Do yall have a lot of one sport athletes? Do yall do the year round select teams? It is amazing how dominant that are is. I think in our case (Sinton) it helps that we've had the same head/assistant coach for 20+ years. Our little league system is top notch and all the kids grow up wanting to play Pirate baseball. Some live & breathe baseball, but they do play other sports.

sinton66
06-10-2009, 11:15 AM

It's some good baseball talent coupled with some of the best coaches in the state., and we play against each other in pre district local tournaments (Mira's in CC). At the 3A level, there aren't many who play only one sport.

Maroon87
06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I think in our case (Sinton) it helps that we've had the same head/assistant coach for 20+ years. Our little league system is top notch and all the kids grow up wanting to play Pirate baseball. Some live & breathe baseball, but they do play other sports.

Same with us...Chapman has been head coach since 1983.

pirate4state
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Same with us...Chapman has been head coach since 1983. Yep and Castro has been at Robstown forever.

Moody had the same coach forever and wasn't Gallegos a former Moody player?

Salinas has been at Fal forever.

I see a trend. ;)

Ex-Tiger2005
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I think in our case (Sinton) it helps that we've had the same head/assistant coach for 20+ years. Our little league system is top notch and all the kids grow up wanting to play Pirate baseball. Some live & breathe baseball, but they do play other sports.

we do have sort of the same thing our LL is good, pony league or babe ruth is a joke, but in HS it seems we tend to gravitate more towards football. i know i did! and baseball was always my first love, but when i got to HS all i wanted to do was lift and play football. i wish i would have concentrated on baseball as hard but football is king in Snyder.

Maroon87
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Yep and Castro has been at Robstown forever.

Moody had the same coach forever and wasn't Gallegos a former Moody player?

Salinas has been at Fal forever.

I see a trend. ;)

Gallegos played for Hector Salinas at Moody, I believe...he's my age (class of '87).

pirate4state
06-10-2009, 11:30 AM
we do have sort of the same thing our LL is good, pony league or babe ruth is a joke, but in HS it seems we tend to gravitate more towards football. i know i did! and baseball was always my first love, but when i got to HS all i wanted to do was lift and play football. i wish i would have concentrated on baseball as hard but football is king in Snyder.

Make no mistake, football is big in Sinton too, we just happen to be really great at baseball. Heck, who am I kidding? We have a great athletic PROGRAM. :cool: People can talk all the trash they want, but we do well in almost every sport! :clap: but that's probably cause we are in Region IV. LOL :D ;)

NastySlot
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
LOL I know...that was an inside joke for the Coastal Bend folks, since the C-T is not exactly known for their accuracy.

;)

sorry.......they (C-T) do a great job of the live updates of games.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Make no mistake, football is big in Sinton too, we just happen to be really great at baseball. Heck, who am I kidding? We have a great athletic PROGRAM. :cool: People can talk all the trash they want, but we do well in almost every sport! :clap: but that's probably cause we are in Region IV. LOL :D ;)

yea different area than west texas definately! i have always wanted to get down there and watch some ball games in every sport.

Maroon87
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
sorry.......they (C-T) do a great job of the live updates of games.

Credit where it's due...they do well in that aspect.

SintonFan_inAustin
06-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Gallegos played for Hector Salinas at Moody, I believe...he's my age (class of '87). :clap: class of '87 here also and share same birdthday with DDBooger! :)

SintonFan_inAustin
06-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I think in our case (Sinton) it helps that we've had the same head/assistant coach for 20+ years. Our little league system is top notch and all the kids grow up wanting to play Pirate baseball. Some live & breathe baseball, but they do play other sports. +1, some credit to those little league coaches, some have been there forever also.

Maroon87
06-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
:clap: class of '87 here also and share same birdthday with DDBooger! :)

I wouldn't paint that on the water tower if I was you...:p

Fal44
06-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I know in fal a lot of athletes who are usually straight baseball players. I've seen basketball players in season practicing for baseball during season, thats just the way it is.

BUT fal shouldn't have a team to contend for a title for years, seems like we are heading for a major downturn before it becomes any better.

Phil C
06-11-2009, 08:55 AM
4A Corpus Christi Moody was forced to compete in 5A because of the CCISD school board wouldn't let them go to 4A till a few years ago. It was the same case with Corpus Christi Miller. Even then Moody went to the 5A state championship game and lost twice (I think) and even once won it in 5A. If they had been in 4A where they belonged they might have won more but it would have been tough competition with Calallen and Robstown in baseball.

truebluestang
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Sinton's 1988 and 1989 State Chaampionship teams were awesome. Bet teams like Cuero who was loaded with talent (Rodney Pedraza- UT, Richard Gonzales- UT and Wayne Mathis). Also beat Goliad with Jerry Taylor- UT and Waco La Vega with Arthur Rhodes who is still pitching in the pro's. After Sinton Falfurrias, Freer and Orange Grove all won state titles and then Sinton did it again with Alaniz.