PDA

View Full Version : Six High schoolers declare eligibility for NFL draft

crzyjournalist03
03-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Six high school players apply for NFL draft

March 5, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- Six high school players and one from junior college have applied for the NFL draft, taking advantage of the court ruling in the Maurice Clarett case that cleared the way for underclassman.

The NFL released the final list of nine players Friday who requested early eligibility for the April 24-25 draft. The deadline for applying was March 1, with the players given 72 hours to pull out.

In addition to Clarett, the running back who played as a freshman at Ohio State but was suspended last season, and Southern California wide receiver Mike Williams, there were seven others on the final list.

Williams, who played two seasons in college, is expected to be a first-round pick while Clarett is thought to be a potential second- or third-rounder.

Clarett went to court to challenge the NFL's rule preventing players less than three years out of high school from entering the draft, and a federal judge ruled in his favor.

Most scouts and league officials believe the jump is far too great for most underclassmen and high school players.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the list released Friday was based on those who submitted written applications.

``I don't think we do any extensive checking because there's no point to it based on the ruling,'' Aiello said. ``We can't limit whose eligible under this ruling.''

According to the NFL, the seven who applied were: Ronnie McCrae, a defensive back from Pasadena (Calif.) City College; Joe Banks, a running back from New Directions Academy High School in Baltimore; quarterback John Belisle of Capac Community High School in Capac, Mich.; defensive tackle Earl Fields of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga.; wide receiver Joe Lee of Gates High School in Tacoma, Wash.; running back Ethan Mitchell of Flowers High School in Springdale, Md.; and offensive tackle Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Detroit.

hsfan
03-05-2004, 08:52 PM
there is a kid from episcopal high school here in houston that has declared also.he is 5'9" and 170lbs,but his dr.said he would grow 5 inches in the next 3 yrs and gain 15 to 25 lbs.i think if the radio station has it on it's web site i think the site is 610sportsradio.com.was eric swann the last nfl player with no college experience?i think he played semipro in the ne for 2 yrs.

crzyjournalist03
03-06-2004, 01:43 PM
hmm...I wonder why that kid wasn't listed in the article

kepdawg
03-06-2004, 02:36 PM
crzyjournalist03:
hmm...I wonder why that kid wasn't listed in the articleThe NFL either doesn't know about him or forgot to mention him!

KaktusJack
03-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Here is the deal. When a kid turns 18 yrs old he is considered and adult. Let these uninformed ,ignorant boys fall down and declare for the draft. They have that right under our constitution. Being a dumbass at 18 and thinking you can play in the NFL is not a crime. When Ray Lewis comes over the middle and knocks these puppies out then reality will set in. God speed and good luck. Life is real and it is sssssssssoooooooooo GGGGGGGGoooooooooodddddddd.

BrahmaMom
03-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Where are the parents of these kids who are making these decisions? Now, they can't go back and go to college and play if it doesn't work out. Jack, you are right, not a wise move! 18 is a tough age to be--you know so much to know so little!

crzyjournalist03
03-07-2004, 01:00 PM
I agree that 18 is too young to give up college for football. In my opinion, it's completely different than baseball or basketball. Sure, there is contact in those sports, but football is way more violent than either of those. I can understand kids giving up college for nice signing bonuses to play baseball or basketball, but college football is necessary for a person's development. Unlike other sports, football doesn't really have a developmental league. College IS the developmental league for the NFL.

Chupacabra
03-07-2004, 05:00 PM
I seriously doubt any of these high-schoolers will get drafted, check out this article about them from ESPN.com

Article at ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751956)

NEW YORK -- Six high school players and one junior college defensive back joined Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett and USC wide receiver Mike Williams Friday on the NFL's list of nine applicants cleared for early eligibility in the draft.

After Clarett and Williams, the best player would figure to be Ronnie McCrae of Pasadena (Calif.) City College. However, McCrae, a defensive back, had no interceptions for a team that went 0-10, according to The Washington Post.

If not McCrae, perhaps the best is offensive tackle Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Michigan. He was an honorable mention selection on the Detroit News 2002 all-Detroit football team.

None of the high school players is among the top 25 college prospects by position, according to Tom Lemming, editor of Prep Football Report and ESPN.com's recruiting guru, who said Friday he had heard of none of them. And, no wonder. They appear to be more suspect than prospect.

Running back Ethan Mitchell of Springdale, Md., and Flowers High School, never played for the varsity, while running back Joe Banks is from New Directions Academy High School, a Baltimore school for developmentally disabled children, according to the Post.

Quarterback John Belisle of Capac (Mich.) Community High School and defensive tackle Earl Fields of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga., were not on their school's 2003 rosters, while wide receiver Joe Lee of Tacoma, Wash., lists Gates High School, an alternative school that doesn't even have a football team, the Post reports.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the list was based on those who submitted written applications by the March 1 deadline. Applicants were given 72 hours to withdraw. Most scouts and league officials believe the jump is far too great for most underclassmen and even the most talented high school players.

Williams, who played two seasons in college, is expected to be a first-round pick while Clarett is thought to be a potential second- or third-rounder.

Clarett went to court to challenge the NFL's rule preventing players less than three years out of high school from entering the draft, and a federal judge ruled in his favor.

"I don't think we do any extensive checking [of the applicants] because there's no point to it based on the ruling," Aiello said. "We can't limit who's eligible under this ruling."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.