PDA

View Full Version : Music Thread

TexasHSFB
06-08-2009, 11:41 PM
I already know you guys are going to say it's crap but oh well. I'm a glutton for punishment.

I only listen to Rap and Rock so... here's my favorites:

Rap

"Uptown" - Drake/ Lil Wayne/ Bun B
"Smile" - Slim Thug
"November 18" - Drake
"The Leak" - Lil Wayne

Rock

"Lying From You" - Linkin Park
"The Feel Good Drag" - Anberlin
"Savior" - Rise Against

garciap77
06-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Classic Rock!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-music001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

I. B. Watching
06-09-2009, 06:52 AM
What defines classic rock? 25 years or older?

garciap77
06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching

To me it is music from the 70s, but I was curious so I had to look it up!

Perhaps the best answer to the question lies in the word classic. Virtually every available dictionary definition of classic includes a key test. The most telling aspect of the adjective is that it describes something about which the same opinion has stood over a long period of time. People listen to it, and feel the same way about it today as they did when it was first recorded.

Put It To the Test
If you aren’t sure whether a particular song or album should be considered classic rock, subject it to this test:

When was it recorded? If it was within the past 15-20 years, it hasn’t been around long enough to be considered classic, no matter how big a hit it was or who recorded it. On the other hand, the mere fact that it was recorded 30 years ago doesn’t automatically mean it’s considered classic.

How big a hit was it? It may have been a personal favorite of yours, but in order to qualify as classic, it has to have been the personal favorite of a few million of your closest friends, too.

Who recorded it? This will no doubt be a factor in how big a hit it was, but if only one or two songs from a particular album were widely accepted, it isn’t likely the artist or group falls into the classic category.

Can you still hear it on the radio and find it in the record store? Purple People Eater may have been a huge hit in 1958, but you won't hear it on a classic rock station today. As with automobiles, there’s a big difference between classic and antique.

Just as classic rock radio stations don’t agree universally on what exact time period encompasses classic rock, there isn’t a hard and fast dictionary definition for us to apply. Through the process of listening to it, learning about it, and discussing it with others, you’ll eventually be able to know it when you hear it.

waterboy
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM
I'll listen to practically anything BUT rap. I wish rap would go out like disco did. To me disco music was MUCH better than rap ever was.........but that's just me.:D

Farmersfan
06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I like almost all music. I listen to very little rap but some hip hop is ok. Although my high school days were the late 70's I think the 80's were the best decade for rock & roll. Disco gets a bad rap from ROCK enthusists but in it's time Disco was a mega hit and the disco culture enfluenced the entire world. I still get sentimental and reflect with nostalgia when a Big disco hit like a Donna Summer song comes on the radio.

(Imagine Farmersfan busting a move)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

"She works hard for the money
So hard for it, honey
She works hard for the money
So you better treat her right

So hard for it, honey
So you better treat her right"

waterboy
06-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I like almost all music. I listen to very little rap but some hip hop is ok. Although my high school days were the late 70's I think the 80's were the best decade for rock & roll. Disco gets a bad rap from ROCK enthusists but in it's time Disco was a mega hit and the disco culture enfluenced the entire world. I still get sentimental and reflect with nostalgia when a Big disco hit like a Donna Summer song comes on the radio.

(Imagine Farmersfan busting a move)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

"She works hard for the money
So hard for it, honey
So you better treat her right

So hard for it, honey
So you better treat her right"
I, too, grew up in the late '70s and I still like disco......but don't tell anybody.:D Did they really have rock and roll in the '80s? To me, the BEST rock and roll was made in the late '60s and all through the '70s. There were a few songs in the '80s that were good, but overall the '70s were the best years for rock and roll.

Ranger Mom
06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I, too, grew up in the late '70s and I still like disco......but don't tell anybody.:D Did they really have rock and roll in the '80s? To me, the BEST rock and roll was made in the late '60s and all through the '70s. There were a few songs in the '80s that were good, but overall the '70s were the best years for rock and roll.

I agree for the most part! I DO NOT like disco. I think Classic rock is pre 80's....but I LOVED the 80 hair bands!!!!

Farmersfan
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
75% of the music on any "Best Rock & Roll of all time" list will come from the 80's.

The Hair bands and the 70's greats produced their best stuff during this era. The 60's and 70's music was great but it still had a lot of disco and hippy influence. I like Hendricks, Joplin, Dylan and others but they can't touch the icons of the late 70's and the 80's.

Farmersfan
06-09-2009, 09:03 AM
75% of the music on any "Best Rock & Roll of all time" list will come from the 80's.

The Hair bands and the 70's greats produced their best stuff during this era. The 60's and 70's music was great but it still had a lot of disco and hippy influence. I like Hendricks, Joplin, Dylan and others but they can't touch the icons of the late 70's and the 80's.

Ignore this previous statement. I just googled the Rolling Stones top 500 rock songs of all time and only 1 out the top 20 were after 1970.

waterboy
06-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Dang, Farmersfan! Nearly all the Classic Rock stations I've ever listened to played more '70s rock than music from any other decade. I can think of hundreds of rock bands off the top of my head that made their best music in the '70s, while I can only think of a dozen or so bands that made their mark in the '80s. The majority of the rock and roll from the '80s was more of a pseudo, no soul, electronic rock to me........but to each his own.;)

waterboy
06-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I DO NOT like disco.
:eek: What? You must not have been able to dance!:D You were a wallflower at all those discos, weren't you?;) To be honest, I can take or leave most of it, but there is still a lot of it I like.:smoker:

Farmersfan
06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Dang, Farmersfan! Nearly all the Classic Rock stations I've ever listened to played more '70s rock than music from any other decade. I can think of hundreds of rock bands off the top of my head that made their best music in the '70s, while I can only think of a dozen or so bands that made their mark in the '80s. The majority of the rock and roll from the '80s was more of a pseudo, no soul, electronic rock to me........but to each his own.;)

You are right! I looked at about half a dozen top lists and they all pick the 60's and 70's most of the time. I don't know what I was thinking. I just really like the 80's rock. Hair bands and the invention of music videos seems to make that decade more important in music but maybe not.

Ranger Mom
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
:eek: What? You must not have been able to dance!:D You were a wallflower at all those discos, weren't you?;) To be honest, I can take or leave most of it, but there is still a lot of it I like.:smoker:

Oh....I could dance. I have just always been a "head banger!!"

If I hadn't had such strict parents, I probably would have been a groupie!!:D :D

My husband has XM set up in his "man cave" and all it is ever on is "Hair Nation!!"

Maroon87
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching

Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, and Alice in Chains get played on classic rock radio now...:eek:

turbostud
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM

If I hadn't had such strict parents, I probably would have been a groupie!!:D :D

My husband has XM set up in his "man cave" and all it is ever on is "Hair Nation!!"

HaHa "man cave". I call mine "Command and Control".

TexasHSFB
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Lol. Ya'll listen to the same crap my parents do. :doh:

Ranger Mom
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
HaHa "man cave". I call mine "Command and Control".

First of all it was simply the dog house....then he added another room and they started calling it the "he-man woman hater club."

A friend came in from Virgina to visit and called it his "man cave"....and that stuck!!

CHS_CG
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I listen to mostly Country.. Texas Country/Red Dirt is my favorite. I dont mind listening to Classic Rock and a lil bit of rap but I cant take much.

Ranger Mom
06-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I listen to mostly Country.. Texas Country/Red Dirt is my favorite. I dont mind listening to Classic Rock and a lil bit of rap but I cant take much.

Maybe a visit back to W. Texas wouldn't work out now......Classic rock is ALL we listen to these days!!

To get your Texas Country, you would need to stay with Ashton!:D

CHS_CG
06-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Maybe a visit back to W. Texas wouldn't work out now......Classic rock is ALL we listen to these days!!

To get your Texas Country, you would need to stay with Ashton!:D

Classic Rock doesnt bother me.. its the Rap music that i get annoyed with

pirate4state
06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I will give almost anything a chance. I recently watched Notorious and am now a B.I.G. fan :cool: :D

I think everyone knows The Doors are my favorite band, followed closely by Rush, Led Zepplin, Metallica, Van Halen, Tool, GNR, NIN, etc...

garciap77
06-09-2009, 11:52 AM

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/jameseaton/headbanger.jpg

CHS_CG
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/jameseaton/headbanger.jpg

that should me RM's new avatar.

garciap77
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
that should me RM's new avatar.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/idea.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

GreenGobbla
06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFB

"The Feel Good Drag" - Anberlin

that song is really good

here are a few that i like:

"I've got Friends" Manchester Orchestra
"Electric Feel" MGMT
"Lark on My Go-Cart" Asher Roth

TexasHSFB
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by GreenGobbla
"Lark on My Go-Cart" Asher Roth I listened to it, and I'm not into it.

This kid is too "white" to be a rapper.:doh: :eek:

I. B. Watching
06-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I listen to plastic soul.

SintonFan
06-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I already know you guys are going to say it's crap...

I only listen to Rap and Rock so...
Now THAT THERE is your problem...
Oh Crap!:eek:

SintonFan
06-09-2009, 10:11 PM
This kid is too "white" to be a rapper.:doh: :eek:
Crap!
:eek: :eek: :D

LH Panther Mom
06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Lol. Ya'll listen to the same crap my parents do. :doh:
So do my kids. :) (They're smart like that. :D )

SintonFan
06-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
So do my kids. :) (They're smart like that. :D )
My kids like 80's music and modern stuff. I hate it when they ask me, "Who sang this song?" from the 80's.
Too many one hit wonders! Ack Ack!
:D

LH Panther Mom
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
My kids like 80's music and modern stuff. I hate it when they ask me, "Who sang this song?" from the 80's.
Too many one hit wonders! Ack Ack!
:D
That's what mine like....and 70's. The kids are always scamming AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc from the cd's.

SintonFan
06-09-2009, 10:20 PM
That's what mine like....and 70's. The kids are always scamming AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc from the cd's.
Two words!
Awe Some!
:clap: :clap: :D

TexasHSFB
06-10-2009, 07:44 AM
That's what mine like....and 70's. The kids are always scamming AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc from the cd's. Your kids pretend to like that when you're around to be nice. :cool:

garciap77
06-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Your kids pretend to like that when you're around to be nice. :cool:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/noway.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

;)

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Your kids pretend to like that when you're around to be nice. :cool:

My kids burn their own CD's with all the classic rock on it...for themselves.

My youngest son found a CD case full of CD's in a parking lot a couple of weeks ago. I was going through the CD's and came across a Foreigner's Greatest Hits CD....he won't let me have it!!:(

pirate4state
06-10-2009, 09:11 AM

My youngest son found a CD case full of CD's in a parking lot a couple of weeks ago. I was going through the CD's and came across a Foreigner's Greatest Hits CD....he won't let me have it!!:(

Well, tell him to burn you a copy!

waterboy
06-10-2009, 09:12 AM

Do what I do.......download it onto the computer and give it back. You can then burn your own CD. It'll be on your computer from now on if you choose.....just in case the CD gets scratched and/or won't play anymore. Then you can burn it again.:kiss:

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Do what I do.......download it onto the computer and give it back. You can then burn your own CD. It'll be on your computer from now on if you choose.....just in case the CD gets scratched and/or won't play anymore. Then you can burn it again.:kiss:

He said he would.....but he hasn't done it yet!!

Two of the songs are messed up anyway, so I might be better off just buying myself a new one....or illegally downloading one...:eek:

pirate4state
06-10-2009, 09:15 AM
He said he would.....but he hasn't done it yet!!

Two of the songs are messed up anyway, so I might be better off just buying myself a new one....or illegally downloading one...:eek:

:eek: :eek: HORRORS!

What's your favorite Foreigner song?

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Probably Jukebox Hero.....I don't know, there are lots that I like!

pirate4state
06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Probably Jukebox Hero.....I don't know, there are lots that I like! I'd have to go with Feels Like the First Time, but you're right there are lots that I like too!

waterboy
06-10-2009, 09:21 AM
"Star Rider" is a good one. It was on their first album. Foreigner's instrumentals are some of the best I've ever heard. I can kinda get lost in their music, or used to.:smoker: :D But to tell the truth, I don't think they ever made a song I didn't like.:)

Ranger Mom
06-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I remember when I was living at home, my mother forbade (wow...it's been a long time since I have used that word) us to listen to "Urgent!"

:eek:

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I remember when I was living at home, my mother forbade (wow...it's been a long time since I have used that word) us to listen to "Urgent!"

If that's not my favorite, it's up there! :)

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM

That's WHY you call me in the middle of the night

That's a friend's ringtone - it's so awesome.

SintonFan
06-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I'd have to go with Feels Like the First Time, but you're right there are lots that I like too!
:clap: :clap:
Great song!

Farmersfan
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Stranger in my own house.
That was Yesterday.
Girl on the moon.
Long, long way from home.

Cats Fan
06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
did not know anyone else that liked anberlin!

high five to you!!

cameron91
06-10-2009, 11:55 PM
all I need is some good old blues..
ZZ HILL, JOHNNY TAYLOR, marvin cease,bobby blue bland, and sir charles.

I always keep a old school SCREW GREY TAPE.

trojan37
06-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Anybody ever heard of this woman? She can sing.

Susan Tedeschi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88LNk-_Tfr8)

Old Green
06-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
Anybody ever heard of this woman? She can sing.

Susan Tedeschi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88LNk-_Tfr8) I have a couple of her CD's. She's pretty good.

I like Blues the best and soul music from the 60's to pre-85.

I like 70's rock also.

TexasHSFB
06-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
did not know anyone else that liked anberlin!

high five to you!! Yea, mainly just that one song.

I also like "Pretender" byt the Foo Fighters.

garciap77
06-11-2009, 07:32 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/character/smiley-vault-character-302.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Maroon87
06-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Waiting For A Girl Like You....ahhh the "couples skate" at Skateland!:devil:

SintonFan
06-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Waiting For A Girl Like You....ahhh the "couples skate" at Skateland!:devil:
Yes. That song snagged a lot of us in the early 80's. The are no bad Foreigner Songs imho.
lol
"couples skate at Skateland"! :D
I don't want to say what happened after some of those in the 80's.:eek: :inlove: ;)

garciap77
06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Yes. That song snagged a lot of us in the early 80's. The are no bad Foreigner Songs imho.
lol
"couples skate at Skateland"! :D
I don't want to say what happened after some of those in the 80's.:eek: :inlove: ;)

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-033.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

TexasHSFB
06-17-2009, 10:17 PM
My whole entire current playlist (Other than the songs at the top of this thread):

Yo Gotti ft. Slim Thug and Lil Keke - "Lean on me"
UGK - "The game been good to me"

Lil Wayne and/or Drake -

1. "Ready for the world"
2. "I told y'all"
3. "Ransom"
4. "Stuntin"
5. "I'm going in"
6. "Fix my hat"
7. "I run this"

Shinedown - Second Chance (This song was playing when I met my dad for the first time (At my grandma's- who I never met- funeral.)) One of the most emotional moments of my life. I will never forget that day or this song. :(

Emerson1
06-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Tool
Tool >>>>>>> Metallica

piratebg
06-20-2009, 09:37 PM
I love all rock.

Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Green Day
Oasis
Deftones
Rage Against the Machine
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Metallica
Slipknot
Killswitch Engage
Queen
The Who
The Beatles
The Eagles
Kansas
Lynyrd Skynyrd
CCR (and that is Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Chevelle
Van Halen
Tom Petty
Blink 182
The Ataris

These are the first one to come to mind. There is much more than this. :D

wimbo_pro
06-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Music is such a subjective topic, so I hope I dont step on toes with this comment....but here it goes.

In comparison, the 80's was a great void when it comes to classic rock...a dry period. Not to say a lot of good stuff didnt come from that era (so dont bother listing all the greats who came about in the 80's, I already know them and probably play a lot of their stuff)...but to say 75% is a joke.

As far as musicians go, they will commonly use the terms First Generation Classic Rock (60's-70's) and 2nd Generation Classic Rock (80's - 90's). The greats of the 80's (and yes, there are a few) didnt plow much new territory like the 60's and 70's did. Please spare me the SRV and Van Halen stories...they got their mojo in the 60's and 70's.

On the shoulders of giants do we build.

griff
06-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Agree with you 100%, wimbo. BTW, I had the pleasure of seeing Eddie Money, Lou Gramm (of Foreigner fame), REO Speedwagon, .38 Special, and Styx in the last two weeks. What a treat...what memories...and what a load of great R&R. I'm glad plenty of the old timers are still making the rounds with concert dates so I can see some of the greats I missed in my younger days. One of the benefits of living in the big city.