PDA

View Full Version : Three teams that will be most positive improvement

OldBison75
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Which three teams do you think will be most improved in 3A this year and which three will disappoint?

Most improved:

Brownwood--may be the best in Region 1 this year!
Sealy-Could challenge Cuero for Region 4
Bryan Rudder-Great athletes with a year of Varsity under the belt.

Most disappointing:

La Vega- May have trouble with the loss of lots of great athletes
Carthage- Don't think the magic will be there this year
Bellville-Adjustments to new coach will be hard to overcome

waterboy
06-09-2009, 08:00 AM
While I agree with most of your observations, I disagree with your thoughts on Carthage. I'm willing to bet that they'll go at least 2 or 3 deep into the playoffs, and I agree that Brownwood will be much improved, but I don't think they'll be the top team out of Region 1.

eagles_victory
06-09-2009, 09:07 AM
For Chartage it just depends on what you say is disappointing if your talking about repeating as state champs then yes they will be disappointing. But, if you look at it more realistic and look at what they lost I think they will do pretty well. They arent the level of Celina where it is state title or bust every year, however they have been a fairly consistent program at getting in the playoffs and having good athletes so I agree with waterboy but if they play Gilmer this year I see no way that they beat the Buckeyes.

My 3 to improve are:

Mexia- I dont know if they will make much more of a run than the second round but I think they will have a much better regular season and get some recognition

Brownwood- not having as much hype and the new coaching staff will lead to some good things there.

Madisonville- People are going to think Im crazy with Whaley gone but I think they have a better group this year and everyone wont be standing around waiting for Whaley to do it on his own although it will be though in this district.

To Not Improve

Rockdale- I dont see this team going back to the 3 round of the playoffs this year maybe even missing it I hate to say it because Waylond" The Golden Toe" Boyd might be the best kicker Ive seen

Gilmer- I think with what they have coming back if they dont win state its a disappointment and Region 3 is going to be so tough I just dont see them making it through.

Lavega- They will go back to the average team they were before the past few years.

waterboy
06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I certainly hope you're wrong about Gilmer, eagles_victory! I think they have the definite capability to win it all, but I also know that doesn't translate into a sure thing. Any year where you're supposed to be have the odds stacked in your favor will be disappointing if the team doesn't live up to their potential. Whatever this year's Buckeye team does, I know I'll be there for the ride. Hopefully, that ride will be a long one!;)

TexasHSFB
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
WC will be ALOT better especially with a new QB under center.

WildTexan972
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
from a state title to maybe the 2nd round of the playoffs should be a disappointment to most teams....Carthage was ALL about the QB and RB last year, and they are gone, so they will not be much more than a 1-and-done memory this year....

isn't B'wood considered "maybe the best in their region" every year? ANYthing this year would pretty much be an improvement....

Prosper goes to Celina this year to lose in district, and they will not go any deeper than Carthage does this year so those 2 teams are in the same boat....

BEAST
06-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Brownwood will be much better overall this season. Last years offense was as good as the defense was bad. This year, the talent is more spread out due to a much deeper talent pool than last year. The coaching change might help some but it really boils down to the talent.

BEAST

OldBison75
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Carthage may have one of the best lines in 3A, but they won't have the talent at the QB and RB position to be as multi-dimension an offense as last year. I see them making the playoffs, but I don't think they make it past the first round.

Brownwood will be much improved and if they get on an early winning streak, they will not falter much. They will be excellent by the time the playoffs come around. Like I said, if they win early, the team will believe in the new system and look out Region 1. I am not normally a Brownwood fan, but those posters that took hell last year will be dishing it out this year.

Mexia could be really good, but too much is unknown about the effects of the new system there. Always good athletes, if the system gels.

Celina should repeat as least as good as last season and anything less will be a disappointment.

Gilmer has the talent to be the champs, but I think they will fall one game short.

You can rag on Rockdale all you want, but look for them to make a strong run in the playoffs again. Their biggest problem is that they will likely face WOS in the second round and that is always a challenge for whoever draws that matchup.

I think my biggest surprise is still gonna be Bryan Rudder. They will make the playoffs this year and win thier first playoff game in history.

Lion_Addict
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Brownwood will be much improved and if they get on an early winning streak, they will not falter much. They will be excellent by the time the playoffs come around. Like I said, if they win early, the team will believe in the new system and look out Region 1. I am not normally a Brownwood fan, but those posters that took hell last year will be dishing it out this year.

:clap: :clap: Damn, I like the sound of that! :D

WildTexan972
06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Not sure Id be so quick to throw Prosper out of the mix. Schools like that tend to find ways to put talented teams on the field every year. Propser reminds me alot of Aledo. Id look for them to be a top team for a long time.

Prosper has been competitive for years now....but top level? not so much....

Orange is STILL orange.....and green is just a once in a lifetime color....in a couple years Prosper will be playin the Frisco and McKinney schools and wishin they could make the playoffs again....

VWG
06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Decatur could be a team to watch. Young QB returning, and a couple of other guys coming back.

HEMOTOXIC
06-09-2009, 01:25 PM
[/B]
I think my biggest surprise is still gonna be Bryan Rudder. They will make the playoffs this year and win thier first playoff game in history. [/B]

Good stuff, bur I don't see Rudder making the playoffs next season. It will be really hard against always tough Cameron Yoe and Rockdale. Caldwell will be tough again. Madisonville will be much improved. Taylor will be the team to watch in this district. Since Cameron and Rockdale both have to travel to Rattler Country, Im going to go with the Rattlers having the edge for the district title along with Caldwell. Look for Navasota, Caldwell, Rockdale/Cameron to make the playoffs.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-09-2009, 01:57 PM
what bout West Orange Stark with all those tracksters? i know track guys dont always convert. but does anyone know there scoop and if they will go D1 or D2?

Electus Unus
06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

To Not Improve

Rockdale- I dont see this team going back to the 3 round of the playoffs this year maybe even missing it I hate to say it because Waylond" The Golden Toe" Boyd might be the best kicker Ive seen
. Rockdale returns majority of the team from last years team and Joe Sanders will go to QB which I think will only improve the team.

icu812
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

Madisonville- People are going to think Im crazy with Whaley gone but I think they have a better group this year and everyone wont be standing around waiting for Whaley to do it on his own although it will be though in this district.

You could be right about Madisonville. Van didn't make the playoffs Calhoun's senior year but went 3 rounds last year without him. The TEAM had to do it themselves and they did. By the way Van has a good group comming back. QB/RB's are all back along with some good players on D. Need to replace some O-lineman and a stud MLB. I look for them to win district and go 2 or 3 rounds again.

44INAROW
06-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
what bout West Orange Stark with all those tracksters? i know track guys dont always convert. but does anyone know there scoop and if they will go D1 or D2?

don't know but everytime Cuero won in track we always had to hear - "Track speed doesn't equate to football speed" :doh:

Originally posted by WildTexan972

Orange is STILL orange.....and green is just a once in a lifetime color....in a couple years Prosper will be playin the Frisco and McKinney schools and wishin they could make the playoffs again....

I like GREEN - and believe me - it's not just ONCE in a lifetime.. it is A LIFETIME ;)

GUNHO
06-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Those are football players running track not tracksters trying to play football so thats a plus.Got a young QB coming in with a great arm and legs.Very accurate from what i hear.Will have a new OC so look for improvement there.The talent is there and I don't see them losing a step and could be better than last years group if no injuries.Sense our numbers keep going south and the teams that have a chance to make the playoffs are bigger than us it want be likely we would go D1.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by GUNHO
Those are football players running track not tracksters trying to play football so thats a plus.Got a young QB coming in with a great arm and legs.Very accurate from what i hear.Will have a new OC so look for improvement there.The talent is there and I don't see them losing a step and could be better than last years group if no injuries.Sense our numbers keep going south and the teams that have a chance to make the playoffs are bigger than us it want be likely we would go D1.

what kind of offense they run? What position do the speedsters play?

Ranger Mom
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Someone...I think it was my daughter, said they saw shirts at the track meet that said on the back:

"We run the ring in the spring to tote the ball in the fall."

I liked that!!:D

lulu
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I certainly hope you're wrong about Gilmer, eagles_victory! I think they have the definite capability to win it all, but I also know that doesn't translate into a sure thing. Any year where you're supposed to be have the odds stacked in your favor will be disappointing if the team doesn't live up to their potential. Whatever this year's Buckeye team does, I know I'll be there for the ride. Hopefully, that ride will be a long one!;)

Guess I have to ride with you Waterboy. I don't look for SH to do alot this year. Even though there is potential with the team coming back together that were unbeaten in both 7 and 8th grade. But it will take most of the year to get them used to each other again after spliting them up onto varity and JV over the last 2 years. May be losing their QB too.

waterboy
06-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Guess I have to ride with you Waterboy. I don't look for SH to do alot this year. Even though there is potential with the team coming back together that were unbeaten in both 7 and 8th grade. But it will take most of the year to get them used to each other again after spliting them up onto varity and JV over the last 2 years. May be losing their QB too.
You're welcome to ride with me, Sister! I don't reckon I'll miss any Buckeye games. Spring Hill is in a tough cycle right now, and it doesn't help that they are in a district with Gilmer, Chapel Hill, Tatum, and Gladewater. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they could somehow sneak into the playoffs, but if they don't I'll keep that offer open for ya!;)

lulu
06-09-2009, 04:24 PM
You're welcome to ride with me, Sister! I don't reckon I'll miss any Buckeye games. Spring Hill is in a tough cycle right now, and it doesn't help that they are in a district with Gilmer, Chapel Hill, Tatum, and Gladewater. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they could somehow sneak into the playoffs, but if they don't I'll keep that offer open for ya!;)

Whatta GUY!!!! If we just had as many kids as some of our bigger 3A brothers it would help. Might also help if we had some ...never mind I'll say that on your pm.

icu812
06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't look for SH to do alot this year.

If they played Van every game Spring Hill would go 10-0. Van can't buy a win vs. SH. They looked good the only game I saw them play :confused: I understood us taking a beating when SH had the Thomas brothers but last year..........? SH coaches always seem to do a good job, at least vs. Van they do :)

waterboy
06-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Whatta GUY!!!! If we just had as many kids as some of our bigger 3A brothers it would help. Might also help if we had some ...never mind I'll say that on your pm.
Not necessarily. Look at the success Celina has, year in and year out. That'll shoot holes in that theory right away. That doesn't always translate into a losing program, or a winning program for that matter.........but, I do know what you mean.;) We've been through cycles like y'all are going through before, too. It's always tough, but it can be turned around.

87 TIGER
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Good stuff, bur I don't see Rudder making the playoffs next season. It will be really hard against always tough Cameron Yoe and Rockdale. Caldwell will be tough again. Madisonville will be much improved. Taylor will be the team to watch in this district. Since Cameron and Rockdale both have to travel to Rattler Country, Im going to go with the Rattlers having the edge for the district title along with Caldwell. Look for Navasota, Caldwell, Rockdale/Cameron to make the playoffs. I agree with most of this Toxic. Rudder will not win their first play off game too many good teams in this dist. for rudder to get into the playoffs, but they will be much improved and will win their first dist. game in school history.I say dist. title is a toss up between Navasota, Rockdale, Cameron, & Caldwell with a good 4th place team sitting at home.

STAggie
06-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I think Royal will be a huge surprise out of d26 and Sealy should have a monster of a season if they can keep the same problems away they had last year and can find a qb who fits in the system by district.

WO-S 89
06-09-2009, 11:24 PM

Will Chapel Hill be as good as they were last year and do they make the playoffs this year. If not that makes Gilmer DI team and no rematch with WO-S.

WOS87
06-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by WO-S 89
Will Chapel Hill be as good as they were last year and do they make the playoffs this year. If not that makes Gilmer DI team and no rematch with WO-S.

Chapel Hill will be the determining factor for how Region III plays out I'm predicting. WO-S will have the best WR core they've ever had in Trey Franks and James Haynes and we have a young but very able QB. (Trivia note: Our team track state title last week was our 1st team sports state title since our last football title in 1987)

If Chapel Hill makes the playoffs that will push Gilmer down to DII which is where WO-S will most likely be. If Chapel Hill doesn't then Gilmer will go DI and WO-S will be DII.

The only way WO-S will go DI is if both Silsbee and Bridge City miss the playoffs and I don't see Silsbee finishing out of the top 3.

WO-S has been eliminated by a top 3 ranked team in the last 4 consecutive years and while a Gilmer-WO-S rematch would be a must-see game, I personally would like to avoid it:

2005 DI Semis (4th round) WO-S lost to eventual Champ Wimberley
2006 DII Area round (2nd round) WO-S lost to Giddings
2007 DII Regional round (3rd round) WO-S lost to Waco La Vega
2008 DII Regional round (3rd round) WO-S lost to Gilmer

lulu
06-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by WO-S 89

I don't look for Chapel Hill to be as good as last year....

icu812
06-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Chapel Hill may not be as good as last year due to losing their stud RB, Tucker. But they will have enough talent to make the playoffs again. Chapel Hill is loaded with athletes. I believe they have a state championship in 4A within the past 20 yrs. I think Gilmer, Tatum, Chapel Hill are the playoff teams in that district.

waterboy
06-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't look for Chapel Hill to be as good as last year....
I don't either for two reasons: 1) They lost some of the best athletes they've had in a long time, including Matthew Tucker, and 2) They have a new coaching staff. It'll take a few games before they learn the new system. I think they'll be pretty good, but I don't think they'll do better than a third place finish. As a matter of fact, I think Gladewater will possibly win the third spot, and that will push Gilmer into the D1 bracket.

GUNHO
06-10-2009, 08:57 AM
what kind of offense they run? What position do the speedsters play?

We run the spread.They play WR and in the secondary on D.It looks good on paper but we all know that's not where we play ball.

Bullaholic
06-10-2009, 10:14 AM
I think Graham has a shot at winning the 2-3A title next season. McCoy & Co. have a great offense, and if the defense improves over last season I think they may be a playoff contender.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think Graham has a shot at winning the 2-3A title next season. McCoy & Co. have a great offense, and if the defense improves over last season I think they may be a playoff contender.

they will be tough and they are starting to get a lot of talk about them

lulu
06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Chapel Hill may not be as good as last year due to losing their stud RB, Tucker. But they will have enough talent to make the playoffs again. Chapel Hill is loaded with athletes. I believe they have a state championship in 4A within the past 20 yrs. I think Gilmer, Tatum, Chapel Hill are the playoff teams in that district.

With Chapel Hill pulling in last and not real strong IMO.

Trashman
06-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Brownwood will be much improved and if they get on an early winning streak, they will not falter much. They will be excellent by the time the playoffs come around. Like I said, if they win early, the team will believe in the new system and look out Region 1.

My thoughts exactly......:thinking: :D

waterboy
06-10-2009, 05:03 PM
With Chapel Hill pulling in last and not real strong IMO.
:thinking: That reminds me......the third best team in 17-3A last year, in my opinion, was Gladewater, and they didn't even make the playoffs. They have most of their players back this year, too, so I wouldn't count them out for a playoff spot this year. Chapel Hill may not make it in unless they can gel pretty quick. It may not be out of the realm of possibility that Gilmer goes D1 after all. I think there would be a lot of teams in Region 3 that wouldn't be too "unhappy" about that.:D

lulu
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
:thinking: That reminds me......the third best team in 17-3A last year, in my opinion, was Gladewater, and they didn't even make the playoffs. They have most of their players back this year, too, so I wouldn't count them out for a playoff spot this year. Chapel Hill may not make it in unless they can gel pretty quick. It may not be out of the realm of possibility that Gilmer goes D1 after all. I think there would be a lot of teams in Region 3 that wouldn't be too "unhappy" about that.:D

I don't see Gilmer being anywhere but D1. CH does not have what it takes year after year. Gladerwater has a very competitive attitude that IMO is lacking in Chapel Hill program. They just aint mean enough.

bwdlionfan
06-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Brownwood will be much better overall this season. Last years offense was as good as the defense was bad. This year, the talent is more spread out due to a much deeper talent pool than last year. The coaching change might help some but it really boils down to the talent.

BEAST

Hopefully the talent will all be in the right places this year. We had more talent than we showed last season... we were WAY undersized on the defensive line, and could have taken advantage of rotating some of those big OL boys on the DL. The one game Stavion Lowe got in on the DL was one of our best defensive games of the season.

RedStorm
06-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Which three teams do you think will be most improved in 3A this year and which three will disappoint?

Most improved:

Brownwood--may be the best in Region 1 this year!
Sealy-Could challenge Cuero for Region 4
Bryan Rudder-Great athletes with a year of Varsity under the belt.

Most disappointing:

La Vega- May have trouble with the loss of lots of great athletes
Carthage- Don't think the magic will be there this year
Bellville-Adjustments to new coach will be hard to overcome

Bellville wont lose a step. Foster knows the program and the kids know him. If Bellville can get a decent line in place. It could be a deep playoff run

OldBison75
06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Bellville will be okay and has some good skill people that can make life hard on opposing teams. But, with the new coach, even though he is a part of the program, he will have to move some people around to fill holes. Those type changes take a little time to gel together. Bellville will compete for a playoff spot, but they will be in a very tough district and even small slip-ups could cost dearly.

Fal44
06-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Falfurrias- Team that went 0-10, can't decrease from a record like that, so I expect them to improve by 20 percent.

:(