PDA

View Full Version : To "Choke Up"

BaseballUmp
06-08-2009, 07:23 PM
What do you consider to be the top of the bat?

Me and my father just got into a debate where he thinks that the top of the bat would be the handle and the bottom being the barrel.

I on the other hand think the handle is the bottom and the barrel the top making "choke up" mean move your hands up on the handle to the "top" meaning towards the barrel.

I know im right but sometimes you just cant convince an old man that he's wrong

garciap77
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
What do you consider to be the top of the bat?

Me and my father just got into a debate where he thinks that the top of the bat would be the handle and the bottom being the barrel.

I on the other hand think the handle is the bottom and the barrel the top making "choke up" mean move your hands up on the handle to the "top" meaning towards the barrel.

I know im right but sometimes you just cant convince an old man that he's wrong

The barrel is the thick part of the bat, where the bat is meant to hit the ball. The part of the barrel best for hitting the ball with, according to construction and swinging style, is often called the sweet spot. The end of the barrel is not part of the sweet spot, and is simply called the tip or end of the bat. The barrel narrows, and becomes the handle. The handle is very thin, so that batters can comfortably set the bat in their fingers. Sometimes, especially on metal bats, the handle is wrapped with a rubber or cloth grip. Finally, next to the handle is the knob of the bat, a wider piece that keeps the bat from sliding out of a batter's hands. Over the centuries, the baseball bat's form has become more refined. During the 19th century, many shapes were experimented with, as well as handle designs. Today, the baseball bat is much more uniform in design.
:)

BaseballUmp
06-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
The barrel is the thick part of the bat, where the bat is meant to hit the ball. The part of the barrel best for hitting the ball with, according to construction and swinging style, is often called the sweet spot. The end of the barrel is not part of the sweet spot, and is simply called the tip or end of the bat. The barrel narrows, and becomes the handle. The handle is very thin, so that batters can comfortably set the bat in their fingers. Sometimes, especially on metal bats, the handle is wrapped with a rubber or cloth grip. Finally, next to the handle is the knob of the bat, a wider piece that keeps the bat from sliding out of a batter's hands. Over the centuries, the baseball bat's form has become more refined. During the 19th century, many shapes were experimented with, as well as handle designs. Today, the baseball bat is much more uniform in design.
:)

I know what a baseball bat is haha,
what i was wanting to know is to you, which part of the bat would be the top and which the bottom because apparently my dad god bless him is not the smartest

OldBison75
06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I really think that you should use the logic that the bat is held by the handle and therefore the handle is the top, just like the handle is the top of a golf club that you may choke up on. The term "choke up" means that you are moving your hands along the handle, away from the knob of the handle--not that you are moving your hands up on the bat. As a rule, the base, or bottom of anything is the largest part of the object and provides the strongest support.

Us old dads may not be the sharpest pencils in the backpack, but we were smart enough to bring you young whippersnappers into this world. AND, we can probably figure out a good way to shut you down if you keep insulting our fellow senior citizens.

sahen
06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
bats are made to be used while parrallel to the ground therefore the top depends on how you have the bat rotated in your hand...

BaseballUmp
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
gosh you too?

I just dont understand that. To me, choke up means just moving your hands up along the bat which makes me believe that the top is the barrel. But i guess your right there with dad on this one. and trust me we argued for a good 30 minutes and he still didnt see it my way...

OldBison75
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
That's cause he is smarter than you. The head of the bat is the barrel of the bat. The head is at the top--unless you have your head in your--nevermind----that makes you right. What the hell does it really matter anyhow. I say the handle is the top in one logic and then see another argument that makes the barrel the top. Beats the Sh_t Outta Me!!!!! Please move my vote from the handle to DUH!!!!!

BaseballUmp
06-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Haha idk how it started. i was just going over there to pick up my ticket i got in college station and he and my stepmom were arguing about it and i was like oh my here we go. I guess he saw it during the UT game and it went on from there. I even went and googled it haha but he still wasnt buying it.

STANG RED
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM
A bat has neither a top or a bottom. It only has two ends. :p :D

OldBison75
06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Stang--That is the most prophetic answer I have heard. I appreciate it more because it means that I am not wishy washy, but was right about both thoeries of the top of the bat. THANKS

BILLYFRED0000
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
choke up means move your hands towards the barrel. it is not an indicator of up and down.

SintonPirateFan
06-09-2009, 10:14 AM
lean on a bat. which end do you hold? that end is the top!

(i hold the handle end)