PDA

View Full Version : Base Running Question

Electus Unus
06-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Why do players slide into first? that is so much slower than just running through.

Trashman
06-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I can honestly say that I don't believe I have ever seen anyone slide into first.:thinking:

Rabid Cougar
06-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Never saw Pete Rose play did you?

Emerson1
06-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I would think if you went head first it would be faster in terms of touching the bag if you slide properly.

bigwood33
06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
If sliding or diving was faster you would see people diving across the finish line in sprints...it NEVER happens. I have no idea what people are thinking when they slide into first base...I even see major leaguers do it occasionally...always out! The only time it would make sense would be if the 1st baseman was pulled off of the bag and coming up the line and a slide could put you under a tag.

Emerson1
06-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Just seems like if you are 2 or 3 strides away from the bag, laying out going through the air would be faster then taking those steps.

Trashman
06-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Never saw Pete Rose play did you?

Who is Pete Rose?:confused:

TexasHSFB
06-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Who is Pete Rose?:confused: Are you serious? :doh:

BaseballUmp
06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
well it happened in a game i was calling yesterday in a tournament and i wont say its any faster or slower than striding it out, but on the right field with the right conditions and with the right timing, it can make it awful hard to see just exactly when the runner actually makes it to first base from the umpires perspective. take into account the dust that flies and the point of initial contact with the base by the runner. that makes it pretty hard to tell but if i were ever in the situation, i would just try and leg it out. oh and i called him out haha

K-MAC Chuck
06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I can honestly say that I don't believe I have ever seen anyone slide into first.:thinking:

Funny thing, Trashman. There were 2 hitters (to my recollection) who dove into first base the other day in Game 2 of the Bellville/Giddings series.

lakers
06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
If sliding or diving was faster you would see people diving across the finish line in sprints...it NEVER happens.

You know why you don't see people do that, IT WOULD HURT LIKE HELL. DUH!!!

(I believe sliding into first done properly would be faster, and if you slide properly it wouldn't hurt)

garciap77
06-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Who is Pete Rose?:confused:

Is that the guy that went to jail for gambling? or something like that!;)

BuckeyeNut
06-08-2009, 08:25 AM
If sliding or diving was faster you would see people diving across the finish line in sprints...it NEVER happens. I have no idea what people are thinking when they slide into first base...I even see major leaguers do it occasionally...always out! The only time it would make sense would be if the 1st baseman was pulled off of the bag and coming up the line and a slide could put you under a tag.

Running track is a little different :doh: :doh: No dirt.

Farmersfan
06-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I think mythbusters actually proved it slower to slide into 1st base. Although it seems that a head first dive would get you there a split second sooner if you touched base before you hit the ground but that wouldn't be a slide. And that might cause more injuries than it's worth......

Trashman
06-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Is that the guy that went to jail for gambling? or something like that!;)

Oh......yeah. The guy who got banned from baseball for gambling. AKA Charlie Hustle? :thinking: No; never heard of him..........;)

waterboy
06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I wonder if they'll ever put that guy in the Hall of Fame.:thinking: I think he should be in there, myself. What was his name again?:confused:

Sweetwater Red
06-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Who was that guy that used to be the commissioner that swore
that along as he was in charge that other guy would never be
allowed to get into the HOF?

gtownfan
06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think mythbusters actually proved it slower to slide into 1st base. Although it seems that a head first dive would get you there a split second sooner if you touched base before you hit the ground but that wouldn't be a slide. And that might cause more injuries than it's worth......

Myth Busters kind of hosed it up. They tested sliding into second versus slowing down to end up standing on the bag. Sliding was faster, duh!

But what they should have tested was sliding into first versus running through first.

I think running though is quicker, since when you hit the ground, you start slowing down (unless you dive to the bag - man that would hurt).

But like someone stated, it might cause enough of a distraction that you might get a call or two to go your way.

BwdLion_80
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
As an umpire, for me to call anyone sliding into first safe, it will have to be very obvious that they are safe, otherwise I will call them out! Running through is faster and cleaner. By cleaner, I mean for the umpire to see what is happening. If the ground is dry and a dirt cloud comes up, it makes it very hard to see what is happening. If you run through, most of the time, you are only talking about 1, maybe 2, strides more.

STANG RED
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
If sliding or diving was faster you would see people diving across the finish line in sprints...it NEVER happens.

You've obviously never fallen on a track while running full speed, or you would know why no one does it on purpose. Most people prefer their skin attached to their bodies. I left a few layers of skin on a couple tracks back in my day, but it was never intentional.
I dont know if diving would get you to first or across a finish line any faster or not, but I wouldnt advise it.