PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Electronics

Bullaholic
06-05-2009, 02:17 PM
How many play around with building some of your own electronics, kits etc.? I am an amateur radio operator, "ham" if you will, and I do some work on some of my gear, but I don't mess too much with surface mount components. I have also built many a computer over the years, but that is not really considered "electronics".

Bullaholic
06-05-2009, 02:21 PM
C'mon now---some of you football lovers can admit getting in touch with you "nerdy" side....:D

Ex-Tiger2005
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
sorry to say i have no ability to fix things. its embarassing but i couldnt fix anything to save my life!

ronwx5x
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
C'mon now---some of you football lovers can admit getting in touch with you "nerdy" side....:D

WX5X here. I don't work on any gear anymore. I live in a very restricted area so no antennas. Spent many years DX'ing and have 300 countries. Miss it too.

Bullaholic
06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
WX5X here. I don't work on any gear anymore. I live in a very restricted area so no antennas. Spent many years DX'ing and have 300 countries. Miss it too.

I am KE5BNO, former WD5GBH, ronwx5x. I am very active on the bands---love to work the DX---just wish we were in a good part of the Cycle for better propagation. I'll Pm you my email address and maybe we can sched on 40 or 80m.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
sorry to say i have no ability to fix things. its embarassing but i couldnt fix anything to save my life! just be macgyver. carry around some duct tape, a tooth pick and a radio shack in your back pocket; fixing stuff is easy. but its the breaking it thats the funnest!!!

sinton66
06-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I do radios as a profession, don't need it as a hobby.:D

SintonFan
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
My degree is in electronics and try to "fix stuff" for fun.
I have been learning about computer controlled Lighted Christmas Displays(the last two years) because I love Christmas and love the ambiance I can help create in my neighborhood for this greatest holiday.:)

44INAROW
06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
sorry Bull - not very electronically inclinded myself or my better half for that matter.. He's good at fixing the mower, garbage disposal, changing oil, that kind of stuff - but eletrical gadgets - not so much.. :eek:

SintonFan_inAustin
06-06-2009, 10:12 AM
build a FM/AM radio for electronic course back in 1992 and programmable security system project kit. Havent had time for that with all these football and baseball forums :)