PDA

View Full Version : District 30 3A Track

Phil C
04-15-2003, 10:06 AM
The District 30 3A Track Meet was held yesterday and will conclude with other events today(and no I don't know why they had it on a Monday and Tuesday) After day one for the boys the team scores are Sinton 49, Mathis and Taft 26, West Oso 21, Ingleside 2, Aransas Pass 0. I have a feeling Aransas Pass will get off that 0 mark after Tommy Blake places in the 100m race but I don't think he can beat Bubba Heard of Sinton. For the girls the team totals are very close and are Sinton 28, West Oso 26, Aransas Pass 26, Ingleside 25, Mathis 18, Taft 0. The most spectacular race for the girls and for the whole meet so far was the 3,200 m race where Virginia Ovalle of Mathis had a kick at the end and barely beat Stephanie Avalos of Sinton by a step and 0.11 of a second. Virginia collapsed to the track after crossing the finish line. A great effort by both girls and should make the regionals interesting. Today with the boys one of the most interesting matchups should be between Bubba Heard and Tommy Blake in the 100 m finals.

District303aPastPlayer
04-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Hey Phil, I was there yesterday filming random races, such as my sister bearly making the finals of the 100 meter dash, but i also filmed the boys heats in the 100 as well. Bubba Heard pulled up and coasted for about 25 meters. He and blake both pulled up at the end. Jerry Jurach made a strong showing in the 400 as well. It looks to me like the 100-200 may be swept by Heard from Sinton... not just in district, but i believe he may win state...
-aaron

pirate4state
04-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Hey Phil, Bubba has been hurt/sick most of the track season with muscle spasms so I don't know if he'll be 100% or if he is even running!! I saw him trying to practice last week & he looked to be in a lot of pain!! I hope he is feeling better & I hope he doesn't push it.

This whole schedule (Monday/Tuesday) is beyond me. It has to do with the Easter break & other district requirements!! I don't know if you noticed but the 30-4A track meet was also held during the week.

I'm gonna head out that way after work which means I'll miss the exciting sprints & sprint relay. Do you know the schedule for the running events??

Sorry for rambling... wink :) :D

Run,Pirates,Run...
Run,Lady Pirates,Run... :cool:

pirate4state
04-15-2003, 10:34 AM
hee-hee, sorry I guess I was posting at the same time Aaron was! Glad to hear Bubba is doing well.

big daddy russ
04-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the updates, Phil, and good luck to all the kids from District 30 who advance to Region.

Phil C
04-15-2003, 01:20 PM
I agree Big Daddy. Pirate I don't have the schedule for today either. I may take off over there and check it out though because I noticed that there were buses already there after lunch so some of the events must be going on.

pirate4state
04-15-2003, 07:48 PM
JV Boys & Girls & Varsity Boys all won District. The Varsity Girls got 3rd place. Mathis Girls won district.

Congrats to all these boys & girls.

TexasToast
04-15-2003, 08:31 PM
WOW....thats just about all i have to say after witnessing todays events. Im gonna HAVE to start off with Bubba Heards showing. No one stood a chance AT ALL with his official 10.27 in the 100!, and official 21.31 in the 200...this kids got wheels i havent seen in quite some time. I agree with ya aaron..hes lookin great comin off that injury..ill be lookin for him at State. The heartbreaker of the day had to be the Salone boy in the 300 hurdles which he was SURE to win. I wasnt there for the prelims but i heard he fell there too...he wasnt as fortunate to get up and win as he was yesterday. 800m relay was a very exciting one, glad to see Heard back anchorin that mile relay. Overall...great job by the Pirtates..200 somethin points too?!? wow..

District303aPastPlayer
04-15-2003, 11:49 PM
Sinton won by at least 100 points.. and had 3 people in almost every event on the boys side... what a feat...

Phil C
04-16-2003, 08:28 AM
Final Varsity Totals for the boys was Sinton 228, Mathis 95, Aransas Pass 92, Taft 88, West Oso 53, and Ingleside 48. For the girls the final total was Mathis 156, Ingleside 126.5, Sinton 112, West Oso 105.5, Aransas Pass 40, Taft 2. Look for Bubba Heard to go to state and hopefully be able to win it this year. Good luck to everyone in district. If you get to go to regional be sure to also watch out for the 3200 m race between Mathis Virginia Ovalle of Mathis and Stephanie Avalos of Sinton. Those girls were spectacular in the district meet in that race.

Phil C
04-16-2003, 01:31 PM
In the 100 m race Tommy Blake finished second behind Bubba Heard with a time of 10.74 seconds. Tommy has a football scholarship to TCU. He is a big, powerful, strong young man plus he has that great speed. I am TCU is smiling and waiting. Also Bubba has a scholarhip to Rice University where I am sure he will do very well also.