View Full Version : Sinton BBQ joint getting some hype

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Sinton barbecue chef could be on 'Regis and Kelly'
Rudy Davila's dish is entered in competition

By Rob Boscamp
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Sinton Barbecue
Rudy Davila of Rudy’s BBQ and Catering in Sinton greets customer Lori Walker at the restaurant on Tuesday.

» View Photo Gallery

SINTON — Rudy Davila’s brisket is so good it has captured the attention of the folks with ABC’s “Live with Regis and Kelly.”

The owner of Rudy’s BBQ and Catering in Sinton said he couldn’t believe one of his recipes was submitted to the show.

“I hung up because I thought it was a prank call from one of my friends,” Davila said. “The producer called me back and said that it was real.”

Davila’s brisket recipe was entered in the show’s Ultimate Hometown Grill Off contest. Every week, up to five recipes from one category are nominated. Brisket nominees will be announced during Friday’s episode. “Live with Regis and Kelly” airs at 9 a.m. weekdays.

If nominated, Davila and four other cooks will compete in a two-day online vote. Once voting is closed, the top two vote-getters will be invited to cook their dishes on an upcoming “Regis and Kelly” episode to determine the winner.

The winner will receive the “Ultimate Hometown Grill Recipe” title and appear in a future issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

“I am very excited,” said Davila about his chances of being on the show. “Even if I don’t get nominated, I would be happy for myself, my customers and Sinton, because most people don’t even know where Sinton is.”

Davila, who has barbecued for celebrities such as Donald Trump Jr., the Dallas Cowboys and Texas musician Kevin Fowler, uses a “deep pit barbecue” technique for the meat, giving it a mesquite-smoked flavor.

“We start cooking the meat in the early morning,” Davila said. “And it’s ready around 8 or 9 p.m. that night.”

The independently operated Rudy’s BBQ and Catering first began as a catering service more than 25 years ago, before Davila opened the restaurant in 2001.

“I never leave here hungry,” customer Stephen Smith, 25, said during lunch Tuesday.

The Rudy’s fan eats at the restaurant three times a week and said he has been eating Rudy’s barbecue since childhood.

“I’ve known for a long time he can cook,” he said.

LINK (http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jun/04/sinton-barbecue-chef-could-be-on-regis-and-kelly/)

44INAROW
06-04-2009, 09:52 AM
keep us posted - I'll vote for Rudy's if it gets that far.. ;)

sotex
06-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I may try to eat there for lunch next Tuesday. ;)

Phil C
06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Rudy makes great BBQ. I always tell him that he doesn't need to put BBQ sauce on my order because his BBQ is so good it doesn't need it.

waterboy
06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Rudy makes great BBQ. I always tell him that he doesn't need to put BBQ sauce on my order because his BBQ is so good it doesn't need it.
Phil, I really admire Rudy's BBQ.

....Even though I've never actually tried it. Send me some...... :)

Keith7
06-04-2009, 11:27 AM
are you sure this isn't like the teeth whitening thing?

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
are you sure this isn't like the teeth whitening thing? who knows? the Caller Times isn't exactly known for their accurate reporting. :D

waterboy
06-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
who knows? the Caller Times isn't exactly known for their accurate reporting. :D
¿Me enviará usted un poco de esto barbeque, amigo?:cool:

ronwx5x
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
¿Me enviará usted un poco de esto barbeque, amigo?:cool:

Creo que no hay mas mejor de Cooper's en Llano! Es lo mejor.

waterboy
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Creo que no hay mas mejor de Cooper's en Llano! Es lo mejor.
¿Realmente? ¿Dónde está Claro? ¡Usted tendrá que volar mi familia al Tonelero un día!:D

piratebg
06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Rudy's is some good eatin. My family in I go there for lunch every now and then.

garciap77
06-04-2009, 12:52 PM
What the HELL!!!!!!!!!!!:D

P.S. Pancho can you translate! Please!

;)

waterboy
06-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
What the HELL!!!!!!!!!!!:D

P.S. Pancho can you translate! Please!

;)
:D ¡Esto es gracioso! ¡Usted es un mejicano loco! ¿Usted sabe de alguna unión barbeque buena su camino?;)

Keith7
06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
:D ¡Esto es gracioso! ¡Usted es un mejicano loco! ¿Usted sabe de alguna unión barbeque buena su camino?;)

THIS IS AMERICA! WE DON'T SPEAK THAT PIG LATIN NORTH OF THE RIO GRANDE!!!!! SPEAK ENGLISH OR GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

garciap77
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
THIS IS AMERICA! WE DON'T SPEAK THAT PIG LATIN NORTH OF THE RIO GRANDE!!!!! SPEAK ENGLISH OR GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

Easy Big Boy!:D

He came from Gilmer!

;)

Keith7
06-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Easy Big Boy!:D

He came from Gilmore!

;)

You need to listen to this here song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJfS1v-fU0

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
¿Me enviará usted un poco de esto barbeque, amigo?:cool: Did you just cuss me?

waterboy
06-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Did you just cuss me?
:D ¡Esto es gracioso! ¡Usted sabe lo que dije! ¿Va a usted, por favor? ¡Bailaré en su siguiente boda!:D

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
¡Usted sabe lo que dije! Yes, but do you? Without looking it up?

waterboy
06-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes, but do you? Without looking it up?
Si, si! ¿Quiénes hacen usted piensa lo escribió?;)

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Si, si! ¿Quiénes hacen usted piensa lo escribió?;) C&P baby

garciap77
06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
You need to listen to this here song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJfS1v-fU0

I’ve heard that song! My opinion is all government business needs to be done in English. If taxes money is involved, then English only! As far as anything else; if a business wants to advertise in Spanish that is their right or if a US citizens wishes to speak Japanese that is their right! I’ve severed my country, so citizen could have these rights.

GP77

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Don't be trying to hijack a hijacker!

Keith7
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Don't be trying to hijack a hijacker!

I'm just doing my job as an American :D

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm just doing my job as an American :D Go polish your boot! :D

waterboy
06-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Go polish your boot! :D
¡O, él siempre podría pegarlo dónde el sol no brilla!:D

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
¡O, él siempre podría pegarlo dónde el sol no brilla!:D :doh:

garciap77
06-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm just doing my job as an American :D

Then, join the Military! Your country needs you!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/unclesmile.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

SintonFan
06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Sinton barbecue chef could be on 'Regis and Kelly'
Rudy Davila's dish is entered in competition

By Rob Boscamp
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Sinton Barbecue
Rudy Davila of Rudy’s BBQ and Catering in Sinton greets customer Lori Walker at the restaurant on Tuesday.

» View Photo Gallery

SINTON — Rudy Davila’s brisket is so good it has captured the attention of the folks with ABC’s “Live with Regis and Kelly.”

The owner of Rudy’s BBQ and Catering in Sinton said he couldn’t believe one of his recipes was submitted to the show.

“I hung up because I thought it was a prank call from one of my friends,” Davila said. “The producer called me back and said that it was real.”

Davila’s brisket recipe was entered in the show’s Ultimate Hometown Grill Off contest. Every week, up to five recipes from one category are nominated. Brisket nominees will be announced during Friday’s episode. “Live with Regis and Kelly” airs at 9 a.m. weekdays.

If nominated, Davila and four other cooks will compete in a two-day online vote. Once voting is closed, the top two vote-getters will be invited to cook their dishes on an upcoming “Regis and Kelly” episode to determine the winner.

The winner will receive the “Ultimate Hometown Grill Recipe” title and appear in a future issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

“I am very excited,” said Davila about his chances of being on the show. “Even if I don’t get nominated, I would be happy for myself, my customers and Sinton, because most people don’t even know where Sinton is.”

Davila, who has barbecued for celebrities such as Donald Trump Jr., the Dallas Cowboys and Texas musician Kevin Fowler, uses a “deep pit barbecue” technique for the meat, giving it a mesquite-smoked flavor.

“We start cooking the meat in the early morning,” Davila said. “And it’s ready around 8 or 9 p.m. that night.”

The independently operated Rudy’s BBQ and Catering first began as a catering service more than 25 years ago, before Davila opened the restaurant in 2001.

“I never leave here hungry,” customer Stephen Smith, 25, said during lunch Tuesday.

The Rudy’s fan eats at the restaurant three times a week and said he has been eating Rudy’s barbecue since childhood.

“I’ve known for a long time he can cook,” he said.

LINK (http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jun/04/sinton-barbecue-chef-could-be-on-regis-and-kelly/)
Awesome!!!
:clap: :) :clap:
I'll vote for him and hope he gets a chance to make the final 2.:2thumbsup
I have to make up for my Cathy's Teeth Whitener gaffe... :(

TexasHSFB
06-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Yo quiero barbeque de Rudy.

Was that right? ha.

KingRob
06-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Konnten wir bitte eined Tisch fur vier Personen haben?

Sorry, I had to get in on the action.

I love BBQ. No bbq joints over here.

SintonFan
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Rob, you do go out and buy cuts of meat to throw on the fire, right? Show those Germans how to do it.:cool: :)

KingRob
06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Shoot yea! I grilled three times last week, and I would've grilled more, but I ran out of things to grill. Had to make a commissary run! I'm not too sure why the Germans don't grill that much. They love to eat it though. They say the American beef makes all the difference. I threw down a couple of ribeyes and baked potatoes for some German friends of ours. There were in heaven!

I would still like to go to a sit down joint and eat some good bbq. Along with the coconut cream pie and sweet iced tea. Dang that sounds good!

piratebg
06-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Has everyone voted for Rudy yet?

SintonFan
06-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Here's the link to vote for Rudy!
Regis and Kelly voting link (http://regisandkelly.go.com/recipes.html)
Voting ends Sunday morning!

garciap77
06-05-2009, 12:38 PM
:D ¡Esto es gracioso! ¡Usted sabe lo que dije! ¿Va a usted, por favor? ¡Bailaré en su siguiente boda!:D

¡Bailaré en su siguiente boda!

Hey pirate4state! When are you getting married?

:D

;)

garciap77
06-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFB
Yo quiero barbeque de Rudy.

Was that right? ha.

Is that you NeckS_Fan?:D

;)

garciap77
06-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Shoot yea! I grilled three times last week, and I would've grilled more, but I ran out of things to grill. Had to make a commissary run! I'm not too sure why the Germans don't grill that much. They love to eat it though. They say the American beef makes all the difference. I threw down a couple of ribeyes and baked potatoes for some German friends of ours. There were in heaven!

I would still like to go to a sit down joint and eat some good bbq. Along with the coconut cream pie and sweet iced tea. Dang that sounds good!

Commissary run!:thinking: Now where have I heard that!:thinking: :D

;)

pirate4state
06-05-2009, 02:53 PM
update: Rudy's was nominated and you can vote for him now and all through the rest of the weekend. You do have to register on the Regis & Kelly website, but it's free & easy. Thanks! :)

Barbecue shop gets clip on ‘Regis’ show

By Rob Boscamp
Originally published 12:00 a.m., June 5, 2009
Updated 12:42 a.m., June 5, 2009

SINTON — Sinton will have its moment on national TV when a video clip about Rudy’s BBQ and Catering airs on today’s episode of “Live with Regis and Kelly.”

Owner Rudy Davila was nominated in the “Live with Regis and Kelly” Ultimate Hometown Grill Off for his brisket recipe.

The public can vote online for the five nominated cooks.

Voting begins at 9 a.m. today and ends at 9 a.m. Sunday.

The top vote-getter will be announced on Monday’s show and will be invited to cook his or her dish on June 12’s episode.

To vote, go to www.liveregisandkelly.com.

Story LINK (http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jun/05/area_scoop/) Regis&Kelly LINK (http://regisandkelly.go.com/recipes.html)

SintonFan
06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Hey! I posted that link earlier!:D :p
Oops!
ttt:clap:

sinton66
06-06-2009, 08:59 AM
It'd be nice if they posted the standings.

pirate4state
06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
:( they only let you vote once lol

Diocletian
06-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Is this the same "Rudy's" that's a chain around Texas? The one with gas stations in the same building?

I've never seen one of those in Sinton...

Trashman
06-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I’ve heard that song! My opinion is all government business needs to be done in English. If taxes money is involved, then English only! As far as anything else; if a business wants to advertise in Spanish that is their right or if a US citizens wishes to speak Japanese that is their right! I’ve severed my country, so citizen could have these rights.

GP77

:iagree:

Well said garciap!

sinton66
06-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Is this the same "Rudy's" that's a chain around Texas? The one with gas stations in the same building?

I've never seen one of those in Sinton...
No, this one's a small independant cross cornered from the Post Office.

pirate4state
06-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Sinton barbecuer heads to "Regis and Kelly"
Rudy Davila's brisket recipe on national TV

By Rob Boscamp
Originally published 11:04 a.m., June 8, 2009
Updated 01:31 p.m., June 8, 2009

SINTON — Sinton restaurant owner Rudy Davila will appear on national television on Friday.

Davila was a top online vote-getter in the “Live with Regis and Kelly” Ultimate Hometown Grill Off for his brisket recipe.

“I’m ecstatic right now,” said the owner of Rudy’s BBQ and Catering prior to the lunch rush on Monday. “I’m just trying to pull myself together and hopefully I’ll be ready for customers in about 30 minutes.”

He leaves for New York on Wednesday morning and said he plans to have dinner with show personnel that night. He will prepare the brisket on Thursday during the taping of the show, which will air on Friday.

The winner will receive the “Ultimate Hometown Grill Recipe” title and will appear in an issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

“Live with Regis and Kelly” airs at 9 a.m. weekdays on ABC.

LINK (http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jun/08/sinton-barbecuer-heads-regis-and-kelly/)

waterboy
06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
:clap: ¡Modo de ir, Rudy! ¡Muéstreles cómo nosotros los VERDADEROS americanos cocinan barbeque!:clap: :D

sinton66
06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
WOO-HOO! Congrats Rudy, and thank you 3ADL for helping out with the voting.;)
(Rudy should consider a free sandwich to any 3ADL member:D )

garciap77
06-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
WOO-HOO! Congrats Rudy, and thank you 3ADL for helping out with the voting.;)
(Rudy should consider a free sandwich to any 3ADL member:D )

Did you say "FREE SANDWICH"!!!!!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink011.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

sinton66
06-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Did you say "FREE SANDWICH"!!!!!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink011.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Sure did, now if only we can get Rudy to agree.....

SintonFan
06-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Sinton barbecuer heads to "Regis and Kelly"
Rudy Davila's brisket recipe on national TV

By Rob Boscamp
Originally published 11:04 a.m., June 8, 2009
Updated 01:31 p.m., June 8, 2009

SINTON — Sinton restaurant owner Rudy Davila will appear on national television on Friday.

Davila was a top online vote-getter in the “Live with Regis and Kelly” Ultimate Hometown Grill Off for his brisket recipe.

“I’m ecstatic right now,” said the owner of Rudy’s BBQ and Catering prior to the lunch rush on Monday. “I’m just trying to pull myself together and hopefully I’ll be ready for customers in about 30 minutes.”

He leaves for New York on Wednesday morning and said he plans to have dinner with show personnel that night. He will prepare the brisket on Thursday during the taping of the show, which will air on Friday.

The winner will receive the “Ultimate Hometown Grill Recipe” title and will appear in an issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

“Live with Regis and Kelly” airs at 9 a.m. weekdays on ABC.

LINK (http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jun/08/sinton-barbecuer-heads-regis-and-kelly/)
:clap: :clap: :)