06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
87 Johnson, Manuel
Wide Receiver
Height: 5-11
Weight: 189
College: Oklahoma
Years: R

Overview
Oklahoma's offense has so many stars that a solid contributor like Johnson can go unnoticed. While not particularly tall, strong or fast, Johnson's consistent production over the past three seasons in a complementary role has not gone unnoticed by scouts.

His 42 catches for 714 yards and nine touchdowns in 2008 would have increased if not for a grotesquely dislocated elbow injury suffered against Kansas. Given his tough play on the field and work ethic in practice, it was no surprise when he returned with a brace after missing only one game. Had an arm span of 32 1/2 inches and a hand span of 8 3/4 inches at the combine.

High School
Played quarterback and wide receiver ... threw for 48 career touchdowns, ran for 18 scores and caught 17 more... No. 13 wide receiver in the nation (Rivals.com) ... No. 16 player Postseason Texas Top 100 (Rivals.com) ... No. 21 player in Texas (SuperPrep) ... MVP District 13-AAA (2004) ... MVP All East Texas (2004) ... first team All-State (2004) ... Dave Campbell Player of the Year (2004) ... first-team All-State (2003) ... also a member of the basketball and track and field teams ... coached by Jeff Traylor.

Starting this just to see how he does. I ask if anyone has any new or stories on him please post. I have seen so many stats for people so i know everyone can keep this one up and see how far this young man can take it.

waterboy
06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Is he gonna be #87 with the Cowboys? I would love nothing more than to see him make the Cowboys' roster. The odds are stacked against him, but with his work ethic and winner's attitude I think he could succeed at the pro level. I've spoken with Manny several times in the past, and I've always said he is one of the nicest, down-to-earth young men you'd ever meet. I wish him the very best.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-04-2009, 09:32 AM
played against that dude in the 04 semis and he was an athlete! ive been rooting for him ever since.

OldBison75
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Johnson is the very type receiver that can take the Cowboys up a level. He is a smart, possession type receiver that will find the seams and catch the tough passes. He can be developed to be another Jay Novachec (sp) type guy from the slot. With him in the slot, he can burn you in the short and intermediate passing game and let Whitten be more likely to be a linebacker responsibility. I think that he will be a great addition to the Cowboys and could see a ton of opportunities.

BuckeyeNut
06-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I really hope he can make a place for himself. He is a great young man and is one of the hardest workers I have even seen.

BuckeyeNut
08-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Any news on Manual i see he is still on the team??

crzyjournalist03
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Any news on Manual i see he is still on the team??

unfortunately, he hasn't done much in camp or during the preseason to be noticed. The Cowboys' beat reporters have all but written him off. Looks like the final wide receiver slot is between Kevin Olgetree (an undrafted FA) or Isaiah Stanback, with Ogletree holding the large advantage. Johnson and Jesse Holley are almost certain to get cut.

waterboy
08-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah, that's kinda sad, too. Manny is not flashy, so he was definitely at a disadvantage going in. I was disappointed that he didn't at least get an opportunity the other night. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't play at all in the 49er game. I would like to see a better evaluation process from the coaches in the preseason. I say let the players that are on the bubble see playing time with the 1st team. At least that way they have a chance to get noticed. I'm sure he'll get a job in the NFL, but I doubt he'll make the Cowboy team.:(

Old Dog
08-31-2009, 12:20 PM
That's one of the sad things about pro sports; some dang good people get left sitting on the curb...............often it's just timing or luck of the situation that makes or breaks them.

easttexas3a
09-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Word on the street is if he does not find a NFL home on someones practice squad, he will seek an alternate route, be it the UFL or the CFL. I personally hope the cowboys put him on the practice squad.

Emerson1
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
That's one of the sad things about pro sports; some dang good people get left sitting on the curb...............often it's just timing or luck of the situation that makes or breaks them.
Or they just aren't good enough.