PDA

View Full Version : First Monday Trade Days- Canton, TX

Bullaholic
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Ever go to this granddaddy of trade days in Canton? My wife and daughter think this place is the greatest---personally, I have never found that much that a man might want or use---so I don't go very much.

Emerson1
06-02-2009, 02:47 PM
My mom goes a lot and my aunts come up and go a lot

icu812
06-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Ever go to this granddaddy of trade days in Canton? My wife and daughter think this place is the greatest---personally, I have never found that much that a man might want or use---so I don't go very much.

You don't want guns, dogs, work gloves, tools, fishing gear, turkey legs? I've bought all these at first monday.

Bullaholic
06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by icu812
You don't want guns, dogs, work gloves, tools, fishing gear, turkey legs? I've bought all these at first monday.

LOL--Maybe my wife just didn't let me look in the places for those things...:D

Ranger Mom
06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I would love to go....that is kinda a long haul for me!

I just have to settle for Ole Sorehead trade-days 3 times a year!!!

pirate4state
06-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I would love to go....that is kinda a long haul for me!

I just have to settle for Ole Sorehead trade-days 3 times a year!!!

I need to try and make the one in October! Do they still have the one in June? It would be next weekend, right?

Pick6
06-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I need to try and make the one in October! Do they still have the one in June? It would be next weekend, right?

Next one is July 2-5

Bullaholic
06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

How many miles do you drive a year, Rita. I read a lot of threads where you come up to Dallas, in Austin for playoffs and track meets, then you are out West, and now you are talking about East Texas. You are one road warrior....

Ranger Mom
06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Next one is July 2-5

What you talking about Willis??

It's June 13th & 14th!!

Pick6
06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What you talking about Willis??

It's June 13th & 14th!!

I didn't pay attention to what I read. July 2-5 is the next First Monday Trades day

pirate4state
06-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Next one is July 2-5 I was talking to Kellye. :p We are discussing Stanton's Old Sorehead trade days!

How many miles do you drive a year, Rita. I read a lot of threads where you come up to Dallas, in Austin for playoffs and track meets, then you are out West, and now you are talking about East Texas. You are one road warrior....

I dunno. I don't keep track. I just drive! Don't ask me about gas mileage either, don't know, don't care.

I wasn't talking about East Texas. I was talking about West Texas. See above. ;)

sinton66
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
I went to First Monday when it was still on the courthouse square. My dad was from Canton.

icu812
06-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I went to First Monday when it was still on the courthouse square. My dad was from Canton.

Wow, when was that? I know it started at the square but don't know when it stopped. The first time I went was in the 80's. It is really to large now I have a hard time finding what I need in a reasonable amount of time. It would take an entire weekend to cover it all now. I absolutely avoid it like the plague on busy months (oct.,nov.dec.) traffic is horrible.

sinton66
06-02-2009, 05:44 PM
It was back in the 50's and early 60's. Not sure when it moved to it's present location. I lived in the Dallas area back in the early seventies and it had already moved out there.

gobbler grad
06-02-2009, 06:22 PM

remember going when I was little...would viist my sister in Sulphur Springs and would always have to stop on way up there ...:thinking:

ronwx5x
06-02-2009, 07:16 PM
First time I went was in 1974. My wife's parents lived in Kaufman, just a few miles away. It was pretty large even then, but much larger now. More junk, to be truthful. They even have some permanent buildings now. It was mostly tables with a canopy to block the sun back then.

My father-in-law went almost every month to get tools and parts. My children have both been a number of times, as children as well as adults. They still have a good time.

BuffyMars
06-03-2009, 09:07 AM
i used to work there in college...at cowhill express coffee company. its in arbor II....if you love coffee....seriously they have the best beans anywhere.

www.cowhillexpress.com

BuffyMars
06-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
i used to work there in college...at cowhill express coffee company. its in arbor II....if you love coffee....seriously they have the best beans anywhere.

www.cowhillexpress.com

lest i forget....world famous for this....starbucks ain't got nothing on cowhill.

http://www.cowhillexpress.com/shop/frozen-cappuccino

oh and the owner gerald is the guy who constructed this famous tower in dallas

http://static.flickr.com/3129/3234811651_6b5edfef5f.jpg

there is some commerce. tx history for ya.... ;)

Buckeye1980
06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I usually go 2-3 times a year ...this happened last week, I was not there

Canton police say a vehicle hit four people walking on Highway 64 West in front of Canton's First Monday Trade Days, Saturday afternoon. At least one of them was taken to a local hospital by helicopter. Their conditions are unknown as this time. Witnesses tell us two of the people are children and were trying to cross the street when the vehicle hit them.

Twirling Time
06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
The same people run Third Monday Trade Days in McKinney, but the Canton one seems a lot more popular. I hear the turkey legs are legendary.

I do know this: The weekend of FMTD, there isn't a hotel room to be had anywhere along I-20 between Dallas and Shreveport. I discovered this fact the hard way in Tyler two years ago during the region baseball finals. I lucked out because a wedding party cancelled.

SintonFan
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Never been there but I'll have to go now.
Does anyone know about the large outdoor flea market about an 1 1/2 hours east of San Antonio out in the middle of nowhere? For the life of me I can't remember the name of it or the tiny town this one is located at?:confused: