PDA

View Full Version : Shaking Hands After a Game

Bullaholic
06-02-2009, 02:34 PM
We've discussed shaking or not shaking hands by players and coaches after a game previously, and in light of Le Bron James' decision not to shake hands after the Cleveland Caviliers' season-ending playoff loss, I think I'll pose the question again....

Do you think it is mandatory for players to shake after a game? Should a player or coach be criticized for choosing not to shake hands?

piratebg
06-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Always shake hands after any kind of game. There is no excuse of poor sportsmanship.

SintonPirateFan
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
i think shaking hands after a game is a sign of sportsmanship. unless you are protesting something blatantly wrong with the opposing team, there should be no time when one side refuses to shake hands with the other.

lebron's actions were inexcusable. he just showed himself to be an immature, selfish player who can rack up all the MVP's he wants, but will never be a champion.

Bullaholic
06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Here's my take----I think all players and coaches up thru college should shake. For the pros, while I believe that good sportsmanship should be practiced, I am not going to be real upset if a player chooses not to shake. Pro players are PAID big bucks to play and win and that is all. Many of the admirable practices in pro sports went out the window a long time ago as far as I am concerned---team loyalties, pride in excellence, gentlemanly behavior when not playing, etc.

ronwx5x
06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Making a handshake mandatory takes away the personal aspect. I think people should want to shake hands and I have no sympathy for someone who would withhold this simple gesture. It is, after all, just a game. (Even if you are paid millions to play).

SintonPirateFan
06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
i dont think it should be a written rule that you have to shake hands, that takes the symbolism out of it. it is an unwritten rule tho, that's why people who don't do it are looked down on.

coach
06-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
i think shaking hands after a game is a sign of sportsmanship. unless you are protesting something blatantly wrong with the opposing team, there should be no time when one side refuses to shake hands with the other.

lebron's actions were inexcusable. he just showed himself to be an immature, selfish player who can rack up all the MVP's he wants, but will never be a champion.

i can promise you he will win a championship...and hoestly it didnt bother what he did...he was dissapointed wit himself and how his team played...he wasnt trying to show anybody up...he was just in not anykind of mood to talk and that is undersrtandable......

and to answer the ? pro players shouldnt have to shake hands....besides baseball players never shake hands after a game with the opposing team

Pick6
06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by coach

and to answer the ? pro players shouldnt have to shake hands....besides baseball players never shake hands after a game with the opposing team

Only athlete's shake hands :D

coach
06-02-2009, 03:32 PM
baseball players arent athletes?

Ex-Tiger2005
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan

wow i wouldnt go that far. i dont agree with what he did, but you know how fans are and all the things being thrown after the game im pretty sure he was thinking of stuff like that. but im def. not promoting what he did.

Z-RO
06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I didnt shake hands once after a game, mainly because I got choaked while in a pile and couldnt move my hands to remove the grip they had on my neck. It happend more then once and I refused to touch anybodys hand who did that to me.

Lebrons case is different, but I can understand where he was coming from. Im not saying it was "right" but I surely can understand it and do not look down at him for doing it.

waterboy
06-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Making a handshake mandatory takes away the personal aspect. I think people should want to shake hands and I have no sympathy for someone who would withhold this simple gesture. It is, after all, just a game. (Even if you are paid millions to play).
That is pretty much the way I see it. You can't win them all, and shaking hands is not only good sportsmanship, but a way to detach emotionally from what happened in the game itself. It helps to put things back into perspective in my opinion.

GreenMachine
06-02-2009, 05:14 PM
There is a good article on Yahoo sports about Lebron's exit. He mentions how Lebron stays on the court after games that he wins, so players can pay their "respects" to the king :rolleyes: I personally think it shows sportmanship, but more so, character, to shake hands after a game. If everyone considers Lebron to be the best basketball player on the planet, not me though, he has a duty to act a certain way, as a role model. I never was a Tiger Woods fan, because when he lost, nobody ever beat him. He didn't have his "A" game is why he lost. Even if that were true, you need to give credit to someone who beats you, because even the best players in the world, and by the way I think Tiger is the best golfer in the world, will lose sometimes. You can't win them all. That is why I think Lebron disgraced himself. It wouldn't have taken much to congratulate the other team who just trounced you. They were the better team.

sinton66
06-02-2009, 05:57 PM
He's growing up to be another Terell Owens. "It's all about MEEEEEE!":rolleyes:

lulu
06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
That is pretty much the way I see it. You can't win them all, and shaking hands is not only good sportsmanship, but a way to detach emotionally from what happened in the game itself. It helps to put things back into perspective in my opinion.

Well put...it is just a game and in the grand scheme of things not really that big a deal. If you think about loss of a game or a loss of something really important....kinda of puts it in prespective.

Don't get me wrong..I like to win but the sun will still rise tomorrow...GOD willing.

PPHSfan
06-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
He's growing up to be another Terell Owens. "It's all about MEEEEEE!":rolleyes:

I like Terrell Owens. Always have. Don't know why. Maybe it's his smile.:D

sinton66
06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I like Terrell Owens. Always have. Don't know why. Maybe it's his smile.:D

I like his replacement much better.:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
There were a few games when I played basketball in high school when I didn't shake the hands of the opposing team. If a team you're playing shows no respect on the court then I give no respect to them after the game is over. That's just how I am, and I would be willing to bet it was the same scenario.

Old Dog
06-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I really don't give a hoot what the pros do, but amatuer jocks should always recognize each others efforts by shaking hands or some gesture of repect (it's part of the learning process for young people).

At the same time I do give Big Blue a nod for what he stated.

Emerson1
06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
If you worked for a company, and some other company won a huge contract over you would you go and shake there hands?

SintonPirateFan
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by coach
i can promise you he will win a championship...and hoestly it didnt bother what he did...he was dissapointed wit himself and how his team played...he wasnt trying to show anybody up...he was just in not anykind of mood to talk and that is undersrtandable......

did you listen to what he said after the game? he was not disappointed with himself, he was throwing a tantrum. all season long he expected to waltz into the finals, and when it didnt happen he threw a fit.

and i'll take that bet on a championship.

kaorder1999
06-03-2009, 08:57 AM
i noticed a lot this year during the nba playoffs that they DO NOT shake hands after games but all usually go shake hands after the game that ends the series...

Ranger Mom
06-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Greenwood lined up and shook hands with Dangerfield in 2002.....even though some of their players started a huge fight with 34 seconds left to play!!!

There were people in the stands that were NOT happy about that.....they thought we should have just packed up and left!!!

pirate4state
06-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I like Terrell Owens. Always have. Don't know why. Maybe it's his smile.:D Me too! :inlove: In addition to his killer smile, I like all his muscles *swoon*

Bullaholic
06-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Me too! :inlove: In addition to his killer smile, I like all his muscles *swoon*

You sound like a lovesick schoolgirl---not the "scorpion woman" that BBDE describes...:mad:

And PPHSFan admires anybody who has as much money as he does...:D

waterboy
06-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Greenwood lined up and shook hands with Dangerfield in 2002.....even though some of their players started a huge fight with 34 seconds left to play!!!

There were people in the stands that were NOT happy about that.....they thought we should have just packed up and left!!!
I remember that Daingerfield. I'm glad the Buckeyes finally took some of that starch out of 'em when we beat them 43-0 in bi-district in '03. They used to be the world's worst at sportsmanship and arrogance. Finally, though, they have a coach now that does not tolerate that kind of ignorance. Thankfully, they don't do all that bullcrap taunting and crybaby antics anymore. At least I haven't seen any for the last 3 or 4 meetings with my Buckeyes. I mean, really, there's no cause for that kind of classless conduct in sports, in my opinion.

garciap77
06-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I remember that Daingerfield. I'm glad the Buckeyes finally took some of that starch out of 'em when we beat them 43-0 in bi-district in '03. They used to be the world's worst at sportsmanship and arrogance. Finally, though, they have a coach now that does not tolerate that kind of ignorance. Thankfully, they don't do all that bullcrap taunting and crybaby antics anymore. At least I haven't seen any for the last 3 or 4 meetings with my Buckeyes. I mean, really, there's no cause for that kind of classless conduct in sports, in my opinion.

The year we lost to you in the playoffs, didn't your team have a big fight with the team you played before us?

waterboy
06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
The year we lost to you in the playoffs, didn't your team have a big fight with the team you played before us?
Not really. Some of Dallas Roosevelt's players charged our team after the game, but our players were made to get off the field. Here's an amateur video of that event. Absolutely no excuse for this stupid and classless behavior.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/hoku945/?action=view&current=MOV00044.flv

garciap77
06-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Not really. Some of Dallas Roosevelt's players charged our team after the game, but our players were made to get off the field. Here's an amateur video of that event. Absolutely no excuse for this stupid and classless behavior.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/hoku945/?action=view&current=MOV00044.flv

Well, I'm glad things went well between our teams! That goal line stance Gilmer put on us was something else!

pirate4state
06-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You sound like a lovesick schoolgirl---not the "scorpion woman" that BBDE describes...:mad:

And PPHSFan admires anybody who has as much money as he does...:D Don't be fooled, I'm both! HAHA

waterboy
06-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Well, I'm glad things went well between our teams! That goal line stance Gilmer put on us was something else!
Yeah, I still say that Abilene Wylie showed me that there are still teams out there that have a lot of class. That goal line stand was awesome, and was what propelled us into that whooping we sustained that next week. Our guys were beat up pretty good after that Wylie game. :(

BwdLions
06-03-2009, 01:19 PM
You should always shake hands after a game. If you don't, your either a poor winner or a sore loser.

BuckeyeNut
06-03-2009, 04:37 PM
In High School and Collage you need to shake hands after every sporting event. Those boys are not been paid to play and are still learning. Good sportsman ship goes a long way in the life of a good person.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-03-2009, 06:26 PM
The problem with this thread is that everyone looks at everything in black and white.

griff
06-03-2009, 06:56 PM
waterboy, the way Gilmer acted after the win against WO-S last year was one of the best shows of sportsmanship I've seen in high school football. Your team made sure to congratulate WO-S on a good game BEFORE they started celebrating. I saw a photo where three of the Gilmer players made an extra effort to pat one of our players on the back who was away from the crowd. High kudos to your coaching staff.

Hope we can meet again in '09.

sportzman44
06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I have tried to instill good sportsmanship in my children their entire lives and to shake the hands of the other players regardless if they win or lose and then they see some pro who can not stand up and be a man after a loss,I don't understand it.
I don't care if he gets paid to just play and anybody can fight but I think it takes a better man or woman to congratulate some one after a loss,regardless of how much they are paid or are not paid.
This seems to be a big problem even whith some posters on this site.JMO

I know some people will get defensive about this and I apologize to any one who thinks I am speaking to them,I am just stating my opinion.Again I apologize to any one who takes offense at this.

LH Panther Mom
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by sportzman44
I have tried to instill good sportsmanship in my children their entire lives and to shake the hands of the other players regardless if they win or lose and then they see some pro who can not stand up and be a man after a loss,I don't understand it.
I don't care if he gets paid to just play and anybody can fight but I think it takes a better man or woman to congratulate some one after a loss,regardless of how much they are paid or are not paid.
Kids (some) emulate what they see. :thinking: I'm going to have to agree with you.

rockdale80
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
You should always shake hands after a game. If you don't, your either a poor winner or a sore loser.

To an extent. Sportsmanship is also how you play the game. If you play it without class then you shouldnt expect any when you lose...

sinfan75
06-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I remember when Tom Landry was coachin there became a time when alot of coaches in the NFL would just run off without even acknowledging Landry. I thought that was pretty disrespectful of the coaches that did it. Win or lose they'd just run off the field.

Matthew328
06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
No one in baseball shakes hands with the opposing team...so are they bad sports?? I personally could care less at the professional level if they shake hands or not....pro sports is a business bottom line and the business is winning. Sportsmanship etc. are nice in a fantasy world but its not like that its all about winning nothing more nothing less..there are many times in pro sports people don't shake hands....Dirk didn't shake hands when Mavs lost to New Orleans last year or Denver.....

sportzman44
06-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
No one in baseball shakes hands with the opposing team...so are they bad sports?? I personally could care less at the professional level if they shake hands or not....pro sports is a business bottom line and the business is winning. Sportsmanship etc. are nice in a fantasy world but its not like that its all about winning nothing more nothing less..there are many times in pro sports people don't shake hands....Dirk didn't shake hands when Mavs lost to New Orleans last year or Denver.....

This type of thinking and reasoning is one of the reasons good sportsmanship is found in a fantasy world and not reality,That is the reason I teach my children to rise above the other teams (or individuals) actions and be a good sport themselves.
Pro sports is about making money but there is no reason a pro athlete can not be a good sport while getting a check.
I may live in a fantasy world but seeing good sportsmanship in any venue brings a smile to my face especially when I see my chidren doing it.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Like I stated earlier, everyone is looking at this in a black and white situation. As rockdale80 mentioned, if another team shows no class on the field, then they shouldn't expect to receive my respect at the end of a game. There is honor in the game and on the field, and if someone is in my face cussing me and playing dirty, I'm not going to treat them with respect and shake their hand. Unlike some of the other posters, I have pride and I'm not going to adhere to what other people think would demonstrate sportsmanship just because they think it is the right thing to do. Nobody is forcing you to go sit down and watch the games. Nobody is making you pay to get into it. So really and truly it isn't your place to judge. If you don't like it, don't turn on the TV or sit your ass in the stands at a game and keep your kids at home and let them be pushovers their entire life and teach them your version of sportsmanship. Because really that's what you will be making them if you tell them to shake hands no matter what, even if a guy kicked them while they were at the bottom of a pile or played dirty. I will never nor will I ever teach my kids to take getting spit in the face (literally and figuratively) with a smile and shake the person's hand who did it. I guess that's where me and some of the other posters differ.

sportzman44
06-04-2009, 04:11 AM
I never stated that my kids can not defend themselves and I bet if I where to guess my sons could easily stand toe to toe with you but that is a different thread .What I did say is I tried to instill good sportsman ship in my children and just because some one else is brought up to be a pig then so be it, as far as not watching the game that has nothing to do with a player who shows to be a bad sport,It is kind of like reading these posts,I will continue to read them but I know I will allways run across 1 or 2 who have no class,should I stop reading these posts because of the 1 or 2 classless people?I do not thinks so,so I will also keep watching ball games as well.

garciap77
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
This seems to be a big problem even whith some posters on this site.JMO

I know some people will get defensive about this and I apologize to any one who thinks I am speaking to them,I am just stating my opinion.Again I apologize to any one who takes offense at this.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Bullaholic
06-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Let's change the equation a little---What would you say to a coach who punished your son or daughter for not shaking hands after a game?

Conversely, would you allow your son or daughter to play for a coach who tells his team that it is not necessary to shake hands after a game?

waterboy
06-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by griff
waterboy, the way Gilmer acted after the win against WO-S last year was one of the best shows of sportsmanship I've seen in high school football. Your team made sure to congratulate WO-S on a good game BEFORE they started celebrating. I saw a photo where three of the Gilmer players made an extra effort to pat one of our players on the back who was away from the crowd. High kudos to your coaching staff.

Hope we can meet again in '09.
I'm always glad to see good sportsmanship in sports. The Mustangs showed nothing but discipline and respect in that game. That's a good sign of good coaching. Knock their socks off, then help that player find his socks.........is what I say should be the way it goes. I wouldn't mind meeting WO-S again. It could definitely be a possibility this season. :cool:

BwdLions
06-04-2009, 10:50 AM
If you refuse to shake hands with another team just because the way they acted during the game, aren't you lowering yourself to their standards? That's one of the problems in society. We tend to treat people badly if we're treated badly.

lulu
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
If you refuse to shake hands with another team just because the way they acted during the game, aren't you lowering yourself to their standards? That's one of the problems in society. We tend to treat people badly if we're treated badly.

You go BwdLion....."Do unto others"

Ranger Mom
06-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by lulu
You go BwdLion....."Do unto others"

You totally just read my mind!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!http://cache.hyves-static.net/images/smilies/default/smiley_surfer.gif

lulu
06-04-2009, 11:53 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!!http://cache.hyves-static.net/images/smilies/default/smiley_surfer.gif

great minds .....you know what they say about that.

garciap77
06-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Nice smiley!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wave.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 11:57 AM

I disagree. Having pride and self-respect doesn't make you a bad person and it isn't making you lower yourself to the level of someone else. I feel like a real man stands up for himself, his beliefs, and his own pride. You can liken your argument to me saying that you respect everyone who did you wrong as a person. I'm not saying to spit back in someone's face, or to kick them and cuss them and play dirty if we're talking about a sporting event. What I'm saying is that I'm not going to respect them and I'm not going to be what you or other people feel is "politically correct" and do what you feel is the right thing to do. I guess that you have respect for rapists, murderers, and thieves, because apparently you don't want to take yourself down to their level, even if they sexually assault, kill, or steal from you or your family or close friends. Do unto others, right? Give those awful, selfish people respect.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I never stated that my kids can not defend themselves and I bet if I where to guess my sons could easily stand toe to toe with you but that is a different thread .What I did say is I tried to instill good sportsman ship in my children and just because some one else is brought up to be a pig then so be it, as far as not watching the game that has nothing to do with a player who shows to be a bad sport,It is kind of like reading these posts,I will continue to read them but I know I will allways run across 1 or 2 who have no class,should I stop reading these posts because of the 1 or 2 classless people?I do not thinks so,so I will also keep watching ball games as well.

Wow, are you really going to say that first part of this message with sincerity? I find that laughable. What I was telling you is that you can't sit back and bitch about players having what you think is poor sportsmanship because nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you do it. Simple argument with no real rebuttal. You don't like Fruit Loops, don't eat them.

lulu
06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I disagree. Having pride and self-respect doesn't make you a bad person and it isn't making you lower yourself to the level of someone else. I feel like a real man stands up for himself, his beliefs, and his own pride. You can liken your argument to me saying that you respect everyone who did you wrong as a person. I'm not saying to spit back in someone's face, or to kick them and cuss them and play dirty if we're talking about a sporting event. What I'm saying is that I'm not going to respect them and I'm not going to be what you or other people feel is "politically correct" and do what you feel is the right thing to do. I guess that you have respect for rapists, murderers, and thieves, because apparently you don't want to take yourself down to their level, even if they sexually assault, kill, or steal from you or your family or close friends. Do unto others, right? Give those awful, selfish people respect.

Keeping ourselfs safe is one subject. We all have better sense than to associate with known criminals.

We should be gracious in loss and humble in victory.

Being proud and boastful is another subject entirely..... the meek shall inherit the earth. Do unto others. Doesn't say you have to invite them to dinner.:rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Keeping ourselfs safe is one subject. We all have better sense than to associate with known criminals.

We should be gracious in loss and humble in victory.

Being proud and boastful is another subject entirely..... the meek shall inherit the earth. Do unto others. Doesn't say you have to invite them to dinner.:rolleyes:

Nope. Using the rationale that you treat other men with dignity and respect who don't deserve it means that there is no gray area, and no matter how horrible the acts of the person, it should not transcend the fact that you would be lowering yourself to their level if you didn't show them respect. At least that's based on what other people have previously stated.

lulu
06-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Nope. Using the rationale that you treat other men with dignity and respect who don't deserve it means that there is no gray area, and no matter how horrible the acts of the person, it should not transcend the fact that you would be lowering yourself to their level if you didn't show them respect. At least that's based on what other people have previously stated.
BBDE....One never lowers ones self when one behaves in a manner that one can pe proud of ones self and be observed as a positive role model. :doh: ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
BBDE....One never lowers ones self when one behaves in a manner that one can pe proud of ones self and be observed as a positive role model. :doh: ;)

Well, I'm not saying to go teach children to treat other people with disrespect. I'm saying that I personally have refused to shake hands with the other team after more than one basketball game when I was in high school. In football, I would simply pull my hand away from the people who played dirty against me or my teammates. I'm not going to shake their hand. And I'm not going to shake the hand of a killer or a rapist or a thief. I'm not going to treat someone with respect who has wronged myself or my family or my friends in any way. I was raised to believe that to get respect, you have to give respect. I played football, basketball, and ran track and was gracious in victory and in defeat. I never played dirty, kicked anyone while they were down or did any of that stuff. That is a more important image to promote than shaking hands after a game to children in my eyes, although I know that not everyone is going to see it that way. It is a more true display of sportsmanship. It's greater and more powerful than giving a fake handshake to someone that doesn't deserve it. I think it's a greater lesson in teaching a child what is right and wrong in life. You don't teach your children to reward people who did wrong, so why would you teach them to reward them by giving them their respect? I just don't get where anyone, especially adults with children, can sit back and say that you have to shake the hand of an opponent regardless of whether or not they played with class and dignity. I won't do that. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong, and I'm going to teach my kids exactly what my father taught me, and it transcends that in the regard that I'm not going to pat someone on the back who did the wrong thing, and I'm not going to give them my respect if they wrong me or someone else in my family. I'm not going to be used, manipulated, and have bad people tread on me. I have no use for those people, and if you can't play a game that is built around respect with honor, you can't live your life with honor, and I won't respect a person who lives a life without giving honor and respect to other people. If anyone wants to look at this situation as strictly black and white, then fine, but before you take that commitment, you should definitely consider where the lines are drawn. Either you give respect to everyone, regardless of what they did in their past or in their current life, or you don't, regardless of what they have done, are doing, or will do. And I know without anyone responding to this that everyone has someone that they don't respect because of what they have done to you as a person, so don't waste my time or yours writing out a response, because nobody has the credibility to make an argument that presents the black and white side of this situation.

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
You go BwdLion....."Do unto others" Well if you act like a turd, expect to be treated like one! Don't expect a handshake! :)

BwdLions
06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
BBDE I know what you're saying. You're wasting way too many words saying the same thing over and over. I'm just saying the stance you're taking on this subject is the reason we'll always have the problem with poor sportsmanship. If you treat a team negatively and not shake hands, then they'll have an even better reason to act that way in the next game.

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
I think sportsmanship is overrated. Who's gonna care in 5 years if xyz team acted like a bunch of turds? If you do, then you need to get a life!

You = general population.

Just saying.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 01:19 PM
BBDE I know what you're saying. You're wasting way too many words saying the same thing over and over. I'm just saying the stance you're taking on this subject is the reason we'll always have the problem with poor sportsmanship. If you treat a team negatively and not shake hands, then they'll have an even better reason to act that way in the next game.

I disagree. Everyone knows invariably what is right and wrong in life, and my actions shouldn't change that. Neither should yours or anyone else. Right and wrong doesn't change, it always stays the same, and you're expecting me and everyone else to reward wrong with right, and it just doesn't work like that.

lulu
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, I'm not saying to go teach children to treat other people with disrespect. I'm saying that I personally have refused to shake hands with the other team after more than one basketball game when I was in high school. In football, I would simply pull my hand away from the people who played dirty against me or my teammates. I'm not going to shake their hand. And I'm not going to shake the hand of a killer or a rapist or a thief. I'm not going to treat someone with respect who has wronged myself or my family or my friends in any way. I was raised to believe that to get respect, you have to give respect. I played football, basketball, and ran track and was gracious in victory and in defeat. I never played dirty, kicked anyone while they were down or did any of that stuff. That is a more important image to promote than shaking hands after a game to children in my eyes, although I know that not everyone is going to see it that way. It is a more true display of sportsmanship. It's greater and more powerful than giving a fake handshake to someone that doesn't deserve it. I think it's a greater lesson in teaching a child what is right and wrong in life. You don't teach your children to reward people who did wrong, so why would you teach them to reward them by giving them their respect? I just don't get where anyone, especially adults with children, can sit back and say that you have to shake the hand of an opponent regardless of whether or not they played with class and dignity. I won't do that. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong, and I'm going to teach my kids exactly what my father taught me, and it transcends that in the regard that I'm not going to pat someone on the back who did the wrong thing, and I'm not going to give them my respect if they wrong me or someone else in my family. I'm not going to be used, manipulated, and have bad people tread on me. I have no use for those people, and if you can't play a game that is built around respect with honor, you can't live your life with honor, and I won't respect a person who lives a life without giving honor and respect to other people. If anyone wants to look at this situation as strictly black and white, then fine, but before you take that commitment, you should definitely consider where the lines are drawn. Either you give respect to everyone, regardless of what they did in their past or in their current life, or you don't, regardless of what they have done, are doing, or will do. And I know without anyone responding to this that everyone has someone that they don't respect because of what they have done to you as a person, so don't waste my time or yours writing out a response, because nobody has the credibility to make an argument that presents the black and white side of this situation.

Ok....I agree to disagree:kiss: :kiss:

Ranger Mom
06-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Ok....I agree to disagree:kiss: :kiss:

You read all that??

I'm impressed!!:clap: :clap:

lulu
06-04-2009, 01:38 PM
You read all that??

I'm impressed!!:clap: :clap:

No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

waterboy
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
That a girl!! You're learning fast!!:inlove:

lulu
06-04-2009, 01:45 PM
That a girl!! You're learning fast!!:inlove:

Just have to use your brain sometime.:rolleyes: :D :D

BwdLions
06-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I disagree. Everyone knows invariably what is right and wrong in life, and my actions shouldn't change that. Neither should yours or anyone else. Right and wrong doesn't change, it always stays the same, and you're expecting me and everyone else to reward wrong with right, and it just doesn't work like that.

No, I obviously don't think that me being the way I am, or you being the way you are changes the world. However, don't you think that the way a player (or person, it doesn't have to have anything to do with sports) acts or reacts to something has a positive or negative effect on others whether they're involved or just witnesses? This especially has an effect on kids when they watch how athletes act after winning or losing.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 03:37 PM
No, I obviously don't think that me being the way I am, or you being the way you are changes the world. However, don't you think that the way a player (or person, it doesn't have to have anything to do with sports) acts or reacts to something has a positive or negative effect on others whether they're involved or just witnesses? This especially has an effect on kids when they watch how athletes act after winning or losing.

The problem is though, kids don't fully understand nor grasp what goes on during a game. They don't see the trash talking or the unsportsmanlike conduct of other players. As parents and as adults, it's our responsibility to educate these kids on what is actually going on and the reasoning for why players like Lebron James may or may not have shaken the hands of an opponent after defeat. I watched the entire series and Lebron played the game with class and integrity, and it's more important in my eyes for the kids to know and understand the importance of that instead of taking the negative (caused by the unsportsmanlike play of the other team most likely) and creating false ideas and impressions.

GreenMachine
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Like I stated earlier, everyone is looking at this in a black and white situation. As rockdale80 mentioned, if another team shows no class on the field, then they shouldn't expect to receive my respect at the end of a game. There is honor in the game and on the field, and if someone is in my face cussing me and playing dirty, I'm not going to treat them with respect and shake their hand. Unlike some of the other posters, I have pride and I'm not going to adhere to what other people think would demonstrate sportsmanship just because they think it is the right thing to do. Nobody is forcing you to go sit down and watch the games. Nobody is making you pay to get into it. So really and truly it isn't your place to judge. If you don't like it, don't turn on the TV or sit your ass in the stands at a game and keep your kids at home and let them be pushovers their entire life and teach them your version of sportsmanship. Because really that's what you will be making them if you tell them to shake hands no matter what, even if a guy kicked them while they were at the bottom of a pile or played dirty. I will never nor will I ever teach my kids to take getting spit in the face (literally and figuratively) with a smile and shake the person's hand who did it. I guess that's where me and some of the other posters differ. Rise above them. I once saw a football player, a very, very good football player named Cody Wallace, you may know him, get drilled by a smaller player who stood over him and flexed his muscles. Bad move. Next play, Cody pulled on a running play, planted this guy, then helped him up and patted him on the back. One of the best sportsmen you will ever find. I believe that you should always rise above and be a good sportsman, ESPECIALLY pro athletes who are role models!!!!

GreenMachine
06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I never stated that my kids can not defend themselves and I bet if I where to guess my sons could easily stand toe to toe with you but that is a different thread .What I did say is I tried to instill good sportsman ship in my children and just because some one else is brought up to be a pig then so be it, as far as not watching the game that has nothing to do with a player who shows to be a bad sport,It is kind of like reading these posts,I will continue to read them but I know I will allways run across 1 or 2 who have no class,should I stop reading these posts because of the 1 or 2 classless people?I do not thinks so,so I will also keep watching ball games as well. Amen!! Amen!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Rise above them. I once saw a football player, a very, very good football player named Cody Wallace, you may know him, get drilled by a smaller player who stood over him and flexed his muscles. Bad move. Next play, Cody pulled on a running play, planted this guy, then helped him up and patted him on the back. One of the best sportsmen you will ever find. I believe that you should always rise above and be a good sportsman, ESPECIALLY pro athletes who are role models!!!!

I know Cody very well. I was his teammate for two years. I also got in a fight with him at practice, but we were still friends after the fact and still are. Sportsmanship is playing fair and clean on the field, respect is something totally different altogether in my opinion. To each their own.

JasperDog94
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
There is honor in the game and on the field, and if someone is in my face cussing me and playing dirty, I'm not going to treat them with respect and shake their hand.

really and truly it isn't your place to judge

Ummmmm...aren't you judging someone in your first quote? Everyone judges people every day of their lives. We look at how people act in various situations and we judge whether they were right or wrong in what they do. It's basic human nature. If someone is arrested for drunk driving, I'm going to make a judgment call and not let my kid ride with them. We all judge.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Ummmmm...aren't you judging someone in your first quote? Everyone judges people every day of their lives. We look at how people act in various situations and we judge whether they were right or wrong in what they do. It's basic human nature. If someone is arrested for drunk driving, I'm going to make a judgment call and not let my kid ride with them. We all judge.

You're taking what I said out of context. If you don't like the situation that is at hand and you don't have to be in that situation, then you can't judge. Take what I say as a whole and not try to piece it together and form your own little idea and spin on what I'm trying to say. I never said that I don't judge or that I don't, but as stupid as I think that professional wrestling is, I don't stand up and complain about the participants or the acts and storylines that they follow because I don't watch it. It's not my place to judge because I have a choice on whether or not what they do impacts my life, thoughts, and ideals. That's what I meant when I said that.

bevodidit
06-04-2009, 05:21 PM

BBDE's stance isn't why we have poor sportsmanship. Its narcissistic morons that were never taught how to behave by their parent's or later by their coaches. You don't reward bad behavior. Maybe if all teams ignored them after games it would get through their thick skulls.

Matthew328
06-04-2009, 06:10 PM
This type of thinking and reasoning is one of the reasons good sportsmanship is found in a fantasy world and not reality,That is the reason I teach my children to rise above the other teams (or individuals) actions and be a good sport themselves.
Pro sports is about making money but there is no reason a pro athlete can not be a good sport while getting a check.
I may live in a fantasy world but seeing good sportsmanship in any venue brings a smile to my face especially when I see my chidren doing it.

There's nothing wrong with teaching kids to be good sports, but in the real world of pro sports its simply not that important. It's not right or wrong just the way it is and for me personally it doesn't bother me because pro sports are entertainment for me. At the amatuer level its different because I have an emotional investment in the teams so I would expect the players to exhibit good sportsmanship because they are representing a school or community that I have a personal attachment to.

LH Panther Mom
06-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Well if you act like a turd, expect to be treated like one! Don't expect a handshake! :)
Yeah, but the original question didn't mention buttheads. :p

pirate4state
06-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yeah, but the original question didn't mention buttheads. :p We are so far past the original question that I don't remember what the hell we're talking about anymore. Hell, I don't think I even read the question, but my statement is still true! :p

JasperDog94
06-05-2009, 07:44 AM
as stupid as I think that professional wrestling is, I don't stand up and complain about the participants or the acts and storylines that they follow because I don't watch it. Exactly. You don't like wrestling so you don't watch it. That's fine, but what about people who like basketball and want to watch it but they don't like the way a certain player carries himself? Are they just supposed to stop watching something they love just because of the way one or two people act? That makes no sense.

Personally, what Lebron did didn't bother me. But if it did bother someone else then they have every right to criticize him (judge him) for his actions. That's all I'm trying to say.

garciap77
06-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Exactly. You don't like wrestling so you don't watch it. That's fine, but what about people who like basketball and want to watch it but they don't like the way a certain player carries himself? Are they just supposed to stop watching something they love just because of the way one or two people act? That makes no sense.

Personally, what Lebron did didn't bother me. But if it did bother someone else then they have every right to criticize him (judge him) for his actions. That's all I'm trying to say.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/lebroninjury.jpg

BuckeyeNut
06-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Ok look you can only control what you do and try to teach your kids. Everyone else has to make there own choice. There are some people i would never shake hands with you never know were there hands have been :hand: :hand:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Exactly. You don't like wrestling so you don't watch it. That's fine, but what about people who like basketball and want to watch it but they don't like the way a certain player carries himself? Are they just supposed to stop watching something they love just because of the way one or two people act? That makes no sense.

It actually makes perfect sense. You have free will and choice in the matter. Nobody is making you subject yourself or your children to watching what you think is unsportsmanlike conduct. You make the conscious effort and choice to watch the games. If you don't like what comes along with it, don't watch it. Plain and simple. As I said before, if you don't like Fruit Loops, don't eat them.

JasperDog94
06-06-2009, 02:07 PM
It actually makes perfect sense. You have free will and choice in the matter. Nobody is making you subject yourself or your children to watching what you think is unsportsmanlike conduct. You make the conscious effort and choice to watch the games. If you don't like what comes along with it, don't watch it. Plain and simple. As I said before, if you don't like Fruit Loops, don't eat them. So I'm supposed to quit watching a sport just because of the way one or two people act? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: How about if I voice my opinion when I don't like the way somebody is acting?

Your analogy makes no sense. I like basketball and I don't have a huge problem with what Lebron did, but even if I did it makes no sense for me to stop watching basketball just because one person does something I don't like. If I didn't like basketball at all then your analogy might work.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-07-2009, 06:07 PM
So I'm supposed to quit watching a sport just because of the way one or two people act? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: How about if I voice my opinion when I don't like the way somebody is acting?

Your analogy makes no sense. I like basketball and I don't have a huge problem with what Lebron did, but even if I did it makes no sense for me to stop watching basketball just because one person does something I don't like. If I didn't like basketball at all then your analogy might work.

I wasn't telling you to stop watching the game, I was telling you if you don't like something that you don't want to see then don't sit there and complain about it. I'm not saying if you're driving in your car and the radio station plays a song that you don't like stop listening to that station forever, I'm saying ignore it. My basic point was that you have no right to complain about the actions of someone else whenever you go and sit down and watch it on your own free will. Do you actually think before you respond? I'm doubting that seriously.

Fal44
06-08-2009, 01:49 AM
I personally always shook hands, BUT if I was in lebron situation.. It would be hard for me to shake the hand of the team, who just took away my goal of a championship. Lebron played his heart out and his team let him down, I'd just need some alone time and then say im sorry and what not.

He is a class act, and everyone slips up from time to time.

GreenMachine
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
I personally always shook hands, BUT if I was in lebron situation.. It would be hard for me to shake the hand of the team, who just took away my goal of a championship. Lebron played his heart out and his team let him down, I'd just need some alone time and then say im sorry and what not.

He is a class act, and everyone slips up from time to time. His team let him down and he let his team down with fourth quarter turnovers and missed shots. So who should have been the MVP Lebron or Kobe? Kobe is a better closer than Lebron is. And before I hear Kobe had the better team, who had the best regular season record. Face it, Lebron couldn't get it done.

garciap77
06-08-2009, 07:10 PM
His team let him down and he let his team down with fourth quarter turnovers and missed shots. So who should have been the MVP Lebron or Kobe? Kobe is a better closer than Lebron is. And before I hear Kobe had the better team, who had the best regular season record. Face it, Lebron couldn't get it done.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/lebroninjury.jpg

;)

JasperDog94
06-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I wasn't telling you to stop watching the game, I was telling you if you don't like something that you don't want to see then don't sit there and complain about it. I'm not saying if you're driving in your car and the radio station plays a song that you don't like stop listening to that station forever, I'm saying ignore it. My basic point was that you have no right to complain about the actions of someone else whenever you go and sit down and watch it on your own free will. Do you actually think before you respond? I'm doubting that seriously. Nice cheap shot, but what else is new? If I like my car but there's one thing I don't like about it, then I have the right to say something about it. Just as I have the right to say something about someone acting in what I feel is an inappropriate way in a sport that I enjoy watching. What's so hard to understand about that?

If you don't like what comes along with it, don't watch it. Plain and simple.

This is where we disagree. If I enjoy playing golf, but there's some guy on the course doing something inappropriate, I'm not going to quit playing golf just because I "don't like what comes along with it." My point is that it doesn't have to come along with it and if enough people agree with me then things may change.

Matthew328
06-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Musers asked Charlie Waters about shaking hands the other day and Waters said he did not shake hands after games....for what its worth.

DDBooger
06-10-2009, 10:03 PM
His team let him down and he let his team down with fourth quarter turnovers and missed shots. So who should have been the MVP Lebron or Kobe? Kobe is a better closer than Lebron is. And before I hear Kobe had the better team, who had the best regular season record. Face it, Lebron couldn't get it done. No NBA star could with that team surrounding them. Not even Jordan. He didn't say it, he didn't need to. They were and still are, the Cleveland Fighting Lebrons

Fal44
06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
His team let him down and he let his team down with fourth quarter turnovers and missed shots. So who should have been the MVP Lebron or Kobe? Kobe is a better closer than Lebron is. And before I hear Kobe had the better team, who had the best regular season record. Face it, Lebron couldn't get it done.

Lebron, to be honest deserves the mvp. MVP is a end of season award, you can't deny the fact kobe has more to support around him, you can't honestly expect him to not make a mistake... Give Lebron the lakers six man (lamar Odem) who could start for basically any team in the league and the cavs are a better team. Lebron also plays in a weaker conference, and the lakers compete in the west who had 8 or 9 teams who could beat you on any given night. East=Boston, Cleveland, Orlando. End of story with that conference. Lebron will win his championship, it was not this year, but there is still years to come.

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Kobe is a better closer than Lebron is. .

actually Bill Simmons on ESPN in his podcast had either someone check it, or someone e-mailed him that Kobe shot like 25% in the last 3 mins of the 4THQ thru his career. I will try to listen again and get the exact stat. but it was mindblowin because we always hear how Kobe is a closer and is the guy u want with the ball at the end of the game.