PDA

View Full Version : Athens

mwynn05
06-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Any one have any information on their athletic department as a whole (7-12), administration etc

captain d
06-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Have a buddy that lives there. Say's it is a really nice place, great location and plenty to do. For some reason that he can't put his finger on they just don't win. In 4A it was a tough road but when they moved down they thought it would level the playing field. He does say that the board is very involved in all parts of running the school system which seems to make it tough. I'll give him a yell and see if I can get anymore info.

Phil C
06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Please bear in mind that the Athens referred to is Athens, Texas and not the historically well known Athens, Greece.

captain d
06-02-2009, 10:06 PM
OK, here is what my bardner told me. They have talent, they have a couple good classes coming, they can win. Right person can get it done! Town has some issues but heck what town doesn't. Administration is good but again fights school board some...again what town does not. Maybe a great job for a young up and comer this time of the year. He say's go for it!

Matthew328
06-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Athens itself is a nice town, good mix of kids too...just need to learn how to win...

buffalo2006
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I was born there... and the group of coaches from Giddings coached there but without any recent success I know Coach Ivey didn't stay. I know Holt, Wommack, Little Locke, and Smith were there. And I just looked it up, and Wommack is the head coach now

lostaussie
06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
they have a nice loop which will get you around town without actually going through it:thumbsup:

sic'em
06-03-2009, 08:48 AM
They have nice facilities. I really like their stadium. No track, turf, with tall trees around it.

3afan
06-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I did a AA regional final there last week - Elysian Field 2, Rosebud-Lott 2 ... AHS has a nice softball facility

Matthew328
06-03-2009, 09:26 AM
lake effect....see Granbury

pirate4state
06-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Lake-effect football. They have some kids who can win in 3a, but not many. Town has a bad loser mentality and have had it for quite some time. Someone could go in there and be competitive with a playoff trip every few years, but that's about the extent of it. I wonder if that's the same thing as beach effect for Aransas Pass? LOL

They always seem to have some really good talent and just don't excel. Or it could be the basketball effect. :D

Rule #76
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
I was born there... and the group of coaches from Giddings coached there but without any recent success I know Coach Ivey didn't stay. I know Holt, Wommack, Little Locke, and Smith were there. And I just looked it up, and Wommack is the head coach now

Wommack took a job at San Angelo Lakeview. Really don't know how to put it but they do have some athletes and aren't afraid to work but just don't know how to win. They have had a good group of coaches stick around but some people around town are to stubborn to figure that out. I wouldn't reccommend this job to anyone. Just my opinion

mwynn05
06-03-2009, 10:41 AM
I went and talked to one of mycoaches yesterday he knows the basketball coach there and i played against him and hes a good coach but he doesn't know AD/HC because they dont have chosen one yet couple of our football coaches said they have some telent and can be pretty good(within our district) next year

kaorder1999
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM
the head basketball coach at Athens is a great man. Coach Carter won a lot of games at Kemp before he got to Athens

mwynn05
06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
the head basketball coach at Athens is a great man. Coach Carter won a lot of games at Kemp before he got to Athens yeah and he didnt have a lot to work with at kemp to be honest they were in and won some games they had no business being in......i just dont know how i feel about not knowing who the HC is

midline
06-11-2009, 06:23 PM
In the last 5 years Athens has had:

3 HS Principals
2 Superintendents
1 interim Supt
3 ADs
2 HFootball coaches
3 Hbasketball coaches
failed to pass 2 bonds
countless AP Principals at the HS

Next year:
new AD/HF
new Principal
2 new AP Principals

This trend dates back to the beginning of time in Athens. Not sure why, but people just don't stay there. I have my opinions but will keep those to myself. Good luck to whoever gets it. Great Kids!!!!!!

SintonFan
06-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Athens itself is a nice town, good mix of kids too...just need to learn how to win...
This is an great place to buy awesome wholesale fireworks cheap! I love Athens, Texas.:clap:
Got in-laws there, too.:)