PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Seafood

Bullaholic
06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
We got all the good BBQ rubs---now let's have all your seafood preparation secrets---what and how?

We used to grill King Mackerel steaks on the grill, put garlic salt and pepper on it, and baste it with Wish Bone Italian---sometimes we even used Dr. Pepper.

Blue Crabs, shirmp, or crawfish boiled in Zatarain's crab boil on a big gas boiler with potatoes, onions, corn, and garlic. Sometimes I almost considered throwing the seafood away and eating just the veggies....ummmmmmm:D Add some cold beer, saltine crackers, and ketchup+horseradish and leave me alone a few hours.....

Bullaholic
06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Now I know you S. Texas folks have 3-4 pages of personal seafood preparation favs.....or am I going to have to start a N.Texas venison prep thread? :D

44INAROW
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Now I know you S. Texas folks have 3-4 pages of personal seafood preparation favs.....or am I going to have to start a N.Texas venison prep thread? :D

I'll get back with you on this.. we just ordered a case of "Slap yo Mamma Seasoning", 3 packages of "Slap yo Mamma Fish Fry" and 4 pounds of "Slap yo Mamma Crab/Shrimp Boil" UPS said I'll have it by Thursday :)
Mr44 is headed to the Gulf Coast for 5 days of fishing later this week, so I plan on trying out the seasoning, fish fry and shrimp boil ASAP :)

I personally love grilled red snapper "on the half shell" so to speak. ;)

Bullaholic
06-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

I think Mr. 44' has been serving you some turtle all these years, 44'....:D

44INAROW
06-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think Mr. 44' has been serving you some turtle all these years, 44'....:D

there has GOT to be a joke in there somewhere :D

Bullaholic
06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
there has GOT to be a joke in there somewhere :D

It was the "on the half shell part".....

BuckeyeNut
06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
WOW I JUST GOT REALLY HUNGRY

SWMustang
06-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I'll get back with you on this.. we just ordered a case of "Slap yo Mamma Seasoning", 3 packages of "Slap yo Mamma Fish Fry" and 4 pounds of "Slap yo Mamma Crab/Shrimp Boil" UPS said I'll have it by Thursday :)
Mr44 is headed to the Gulf Coast for 5 days of fishing later this week, so I plan on trying out the seasoning, fish fry and shrimp boil ASAP :)

I used some of the "Slap Yo Mamma" crab boil on some crawfish. I also use some of that Zatarains - the liquid boil stuff and I cut up a couple of habenero's to give those mud bugs a little kick. Throw a few whole mushrooms in there too. Big thumbs up to "slap yo mamma" stuff. Those were some very tasty crawfish.

BuckeyeNut
06-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I used some of the "Slap Yo Mamma" crab boil on some crawfish. I also use some of that Zatarains - the liquid boil stuff and I cut up a couple of habenero's to give those mud bugs a little kick. Throw a few whole mushrooms in there too. Big thumbs up to "slap yo mamma" stuff. Those were some very tasty crawfish.

where can i get some of this "Slap Yo Manna"

Bullaholic
06-01-2009, 03:17 PM

I bet that was some good eatin', SWM. I'm a native Texan who spent quite a bit of time in Louisiana, so I got to know all about the good stuff. It was always funny to watch visiting native Texan friends and relatives try to eat their first boiled crab or crawfish. Lots of wasted effort and seafood before we showed them a few tricks.

44INAROW
06-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
where can i get some of this "Slap Yo Manna"
you can find it in stores but not very often - that's why we ordered online.. pretty reasonable.. check out the site..
slapyamama dot com

they do sell at Prasek's in Hillje..........

BuckeyeNut
06-01-2009, 03:24 PM
you can find it in stores but not very often - that's why we ordered online.. pretty reasonable.. check out the site..
slapyamama dot com

Very Nice Thanks will give it a try

CHS_CG
06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
We do some pretty kick butt grilled shrimp.. best I've had by far..

We butterfly the shrimp and put them on the grill.. while they are cooking we make a sauce that consists of worcestershire sauce, a stick of butter, garlic, salt & pepper and a sprinkle of a special seasoning my dads friend uses for his ribs... let it come to a boil then just before the shrimp are done you brush the sause on them and let it finish cooking. They are a little bit spicy but delicious!

BILLYFRED0000
06-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Well I could never get the stuff to grow in my back yard.

gatordaze
06-01-2009, 04:11 PM
You know when you get so many Kings that you just want to eat em but not clean em? Here is what you do. Slice perpedicular to the fish down the dorsal about an inch apart and an inch deep. Put one finger on each side of the dorsal and push out the meat. You will end up with chunks of meat that look like scallops. Throw the rest of the fish away.

Take the "scallops" and add butter and garlic salt. Add raw red, green, and yellow bell peppers and some raw onion rings. Place a good size portion on a piece of aluminum foil and fold and seal to make a "steam bag" (leave air space). Throw that on the grill for about 12 minutes and enjoy!

sinton66
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
For fried fish or shrimp, I make the breading out of yellow cornmeal. In a 2# bag of cornmeal, mix in a small jar of lemon pepper seasoning. Mix up a thin pancake batter, dip it in it, then coat with the seasoned cornmeal and fry.

SWMustang
06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
slapyamama dot com

I think I got it at HEB

Electus Unus
06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
My shrimp marinade...

Zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
cilantro
olive oil
teaspoon of Cheyenne pepper
*if you want to spice it up a little more use 1 pitted jalapeno

just make as much as you need

CHS_CG
06-01-2009, 07:49 PM
for fried fish we take cornmeal and budlight and do a wet batter on the fish.. its amazing!

44INAROW
06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I think I got it at HEB

that's good - our HEB is one of the Pantry Stores - carries pretty much basics of life........ no bakery, market, pharmacy, anything "extra"

scrub c
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Well I could never get the stuff to grow in my back yard.

LOL

That was pretty funny, but it homeMADE, not homeGROWN...

crabman
06-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Try this for your fish. Make a batter from the following: One cup of Pace Picante sauce (strained so you get just the liquid), one cup of self rising flour, enough beer to make the dip about as thick as a milkshake. Plenty of salt and pepper. Put all of the fish in the mix and mix it all together and let set. Take individual pieces of fish and dip in corn meal. It will stick like nobody's business and make the best crust you have ever seen. Crispy fish with extremely moist interior.

BILLYFRED0000
06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
LOL

That was pretty funny, but it homeMADE, not homeGROWN...

Well hey, I cannot make it at home. it is made in some ocean or tank or puddle. I just eat it........:D