PDA

View Full Version : What are the thoughts on Burnet's future?

Jett24
11-12-2001, 01:22 AM
Burnet has changed thigs around this year, and I think things can only get better with thier new program. They have been blowing people out right and left (last week 70-20 vs Llano). They are a very young team with 5 soph starters including QB Stephan McGee and WR Jordan Shipley. Not to mention Jr. RB Patrick Miller. So what are the thoughts on the future of Burnet?

toby070
11-14-2001, 12:44 AM
If Burnet isn't in the top 10 next year, someone isn't doing their homework. Their QB is a stud, doesn't play like a soph, Shipley a gamebreaker, and Miller is a stud too. I can't believe they went from a wishbone team to a spread team so easily...they really took to Coach Shipley's system.

I watched them vs. Wimberley, and I think they'll go a long way next year (maybe this year)

SintonFan
11-14-2001, 01:01 AM
toby, that's a good point about changing to a more open offense. I'm thinking that more teams are switching from traditional ground attacks. That in itself should be a good topic starter. Texas teams(I think) are finally coming around to passing more often. The kids seem to be responding to it, too. I don't know much about Burnet, but for a few stats and they seem to be improving. I seem to remember they did good late 80's or early 90's, what happened?

VWG
11-14-2001, 10:43 AM
Any team that has underclassmen producing should be better next year.
A very important point to look for also is how that school's JV and Freshman teams did.
These are the future varsity players in the "feeder system".
About the spread offense, I am not a big fan of it due to the fact that you need a balanced offense... run and pass. If you are too one dimensional it gives the defense a break on preparation.

mark838
11-14-2001, 08:29 PM
If Burnet's enrollment is 858 as I read somewhere, they may be looking at a 4-A schedule next year.

alanclay37
11-14-2001, 10:25 PM
Burnet has a hell of a squad for such a young team, I think they are going to give Bellville all they want. And in the next 2 years my money is on them all the way to state.

toby070
11-14-2001, 11:52 PM
SintonFan, I don't think they've had many really down years, always have been a competitive program, but I think they made a run to the semi finals in the late 80's or early 90's, gave Southlake Carroll a run for their money if I remember correctly. I never followed them real closely until last year, but they have a lot of good athletes, and they had a lot of success running the wishbone. But this year, they are just killing people, beat Llano something like 70-20 last week. And VWG, I agree being one-dimensional is no good, but Burnet really does run the ball well.

SintonFan
11-15-2001, 04:16 AM
I guess what I meant was I didn't see their name in the paper as much. my bad..