PDA

View Full Version : frivolous lawsuit of the day......el paso........

jason
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Principal accuses EPISD chief of assault
By Zahira Torres / El Paso Times
Posted: 05/28/2009 12:00:00 AM MDT

EL PASO -- The El Paso Independent School District's police department is investigating a claim by a principal that she was assaulted in public by Superintendent Lorenzo García.

In an interview Wednesday, García said the allegation by Barron Elementary School Principal Mary Helen Le chuga was false. He called her "a disgruntled employee" and said more than 125 employees who witnessed what happened could attest that he did not strike her or harm her in any way.

A handful of eyewitnesses gave statements to the school district's police department.

Some came from employees recommended by Le chuga. They said no assault occurred.

"I really believe that this is a frivolous, petty complaint," García said. "Unfortunately, anybody can file a complaint against anyone at any time, but that doesn't make it true."

Everybody, including Le chuga, said the superintendent was giving principals high-fives at a celebration May 22 at a district office for their students' recent accomplishments on the state's standardized test.

Lechuga, formerly a central office administrator who was recently demoted to a principal position, did not raise her hand to high-five the superintendent. As Garcia moved past her, he "tapped" her on the head, the police report said.

Lechuga, 52, returned to her campus, where she filed the police complaint later that afternoon.

She could not be reached for comment Wednesday, but she said in statements to police that she felt pain, had been assaulted and wanted to file charges. She alternately described what happened as García was tapping her and hitting her.

"I do not know what to do," she said in the statements to police. "I did not deserve this. I have done nothing wrong, and I am afraid of what he may do next."

District police are still investigating the alleged assault, which could be classified as a Class A misdemeanor.

But, district police said, eye witness statements and pictures from before and after the alleged incident do not show that Lechuga was assaulted or was visibly shaken.

If her claim turns out to be untrue, the district's police department could pursue charges against Lechuga for filing a false report, Chief Victor Araiza said. That is a Class B misdemeanor.

Araiza said that his department was being thorough and would complete the investigation next week.

He said that cases with little evidence to support such allegations are usually closed by him. This time, though, his department will give its report to the district attorney's staff so there is no appearance of impropriety.

Araiza said his officers are following all the required procedures. They will not report to the superintendent on this investigation, he said.

"If I was ever directed, told or sensed a motive to slant this investigation," Araiza said, "I would resign."

Zahira Torres may be reached at ztorres at elpasotimes.com; 546-6156.

LINK (http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_12465441)

scrub c
05-30-2009, 09:01 AM
There must be some underlying reason for the suit.... maybe a pitbull...