PDA

View Full Version : #1 Spring Hill #2 Bridge City on fantastic 10 inning game!

Old Cardinal
05-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Boy, These are good teams peaking at the right time. This was the best two sets of 3A outfielders I have ever seen.
SH finally won this first game 8-7 in the 10 inning a 11:30 pm.
Here is a copy/paste writeup~~~~~~~

LUFKIN — If you weren’t in Lufkin Thursday night, you missed a good one.

The Bridge City Cardinals and Spring Hill Panthers went at each other for 10 innings and for three hours before the Panthers threw the last blow.

The Panthers got two singles in the bottom of the 10th before a Bridge City error gave Spring Hill a 8-7 win in Game 1 of the Class 3A Region III Regional Semi-Finals at Lufkin Hudson High School. Game 2, which was originally to be played at Angelina Junior College, is now at 2 p.m. back at Hudson. Game 3, if necessary, will shortly follow Game 2.

The Cardinals could have folded their tent and went home early in the game after the Panthers took a 3-0 lead into the top of the third.

Joe Robertson scored the Cardinals’ first run when Blake Hubbard ripped a RBI double to left after Robertson singled to start the inning.

Hubbard and Luke Rhodes, who had walked, came in to tie the game two batters later when Caleb Kellogg stroked a two-run single to make it 3-3.

The tie game seemed to give Bridge City starter Matt Hicks a reason to start mowing Panthers down and keep the Cardinals in the game.

Hicks would sit down nine of the next 10 batters he faced.

The Cardinals offense remained silent to until the top of the sixth when Robertson led off with a single and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt from Hicks, who struck out 10 batters on the hill with one walk.

Rhodes then collected another single and both runners advanced when Hubbard walked.

Kellogg then struck again with two outs with a two-RBI double to left to plate Robertson and Rhodes to make it 5-3 Cardinals.

Eric Matthews made sure the Cardinals were not done with a two-RBI single to center to score Hubbard and Kellogg making it 7-3.

The four-run difference is usually enough for Hicks, who went all 10 innings, and the Cardinals but the Panthers proved they carry a heavy stick all night and never quit.

Four Panthers scored in the bottom of the sixth with Tyler Johnson striking first with a RBI single to right to score Miles Peloquin.

Nico Moran and Johnson each came in to score when Jake Fudge ripped a two-run triple to left to make it 7-7.

The Panthers then went for the kill, bringing in starting ace Garrett Methvin to start the top of the seventh.

Methvin made quick work of the Cardinals in the top of the seventh but might have stayed in a little longer than planned. Methvin pitched three innings for the Panthers and threw 53 pitches to get the victory.

Once again Hicks went to work in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings by sitting down nine of 10 batters.

The Cardinals had six baserunners in the extra innings and then could not find a way to get the run home.

A failed squeeze bunt in the top of the eighth gave Bridge City two outs before Methvin collected a strike out to end the inning.

The Cardinals put a runner on second with two outs in the top of the ninth but yet again Methvin found his groove and struck out Rhodes for the final out of the inning.

Bridge City had two baserunners in top of the 10th but one got caught stealing and another was stranded.

The Panthers threw out Cardinals’ baserunners at home three times in the game, including the squeeze play.

Spring Hill scored twice in the bottom of the first as Peloquin and a RBI double and Brandon Arden hit a RBI sacrifice fly to score Methvin to make it 2-0.

Fudge, who started the game for the Panthers, scored in the bottom of the second after hitting a one-out double. Fudge scored when Dylan Brown reached on a fielder’s choice.

lulu
05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
We won a long hard fought first game last night against Bridge City. 8-7 in 10 innings and three pitchers(none of them with their A game). Our team brought everything we expected and more.

BC is a tough opponent. Their pitcher went the distance but struggled also (IMO) but never tired. I think he could have gone 10 more.

Neither tean ever gave up. It was head to head all the way.

Actually I had a hard time figuring out where the Ump's strike zone was. He was not unfair or onesided but inconsistent. Pitchers couldn't have had a clue as to what he would call.

Anyway...great game and we pulled it out. Going back tomorrow to do it again...hopefully in one game....cause it's gonna be HOT at 2 pm.

lulu
05-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Spring Hill won the series and advance to Region finals.

Thursday and Saturday at Hallsville against Carthage

7:30 and 2 pm:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have heard so much bad news since I got on the morning it's hard to be happy.

Bull's-eye
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Spring Hill won the series and advance to Region finals.

Thursday and Saturday at Hallsville against Carthage

7:30 and 2 pm:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have heard so much bad news since I got on the morning it's hard to be happy.

Congratulations! Did you keep Buddy from getting too hot? He said ya'll had some choice seats. Hope everything is ok.

lulu
05-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Congratulations! Did you keep Buddy from getting too hot? He said ya'll had some choice seats. Hope everything is ok.

It didn't matter where you were .....it was HOT. I went looking for shade about 2nd inning of the 2nd game and looked up and he was there. The shade was a life saver as I was getting quite ill.
I had been in the sun since 11:30.
I think he's tougher than me but I think he had been in the shade over by the dugout earlier while I was baking.

Great game ....not our A game but we still pulled it out. Fought hard as a team. Hope the A game comes around for Carthage.
They are a good bunch of kids and have a nice guy for coach. At least the one I met.

BC has a great team.....fans got a little upset when their runner was ejected for inappropriate behavior. We rallied and rose above it.

Old Cardinal
05-31-2009, 04:17 PM
BC won the second game 6-5 setting the stage for the final event.

There was so many weird things that happened Officiating-wise in the final game that I want to forget this game as soon as possible!

pirate4state
05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
A great weekend for Spring Hill. Congrats & good luck in the next round!

lulu
05-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
BC won the second game 6-5 setting the stage for the final event.

There was so many weird things that happened Officiating-wise in the final game that I want to forget this game as soon as possible!

Oh come on Old Card we both had to put up with that crew. And it wasn't good was it? I hope we don't see that crew again. If any of them had a strike zone I never found it. One of the most inconsistent bunch I've seen. As a matter of fact I think I said that after the first game.