PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Triangle Question (no, not talkin' crap)...

Gobbla2001
02-14-2004, 05:33 PM
What is this area called The Golden Triangle? Always wanted to know that...

PPHSfan
02-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Isn't that the place where all of the planes and boats vanish?

crzyjournalist03
02-14-2004, 05:49 PM
PPHSfan:
Isn't that the place where all of the planes and boats vanish?I've heard that called the Bermuda triangle, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing as the Golden Triangle.

sinton66
02-14-2004, 05:51 PM
It's called that because Old Card's got his gold stored in three seperate locations. :D

<small>[ February 14, 2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Old Dog
02-14-2004, 09:05 PM
"Golden Triangle" is an area from Beaumont to Port Arthur to Orange and back if I recall correctly. At one time it was the absolute hottest spot for blue chip recruting in the United States. It was a prime spot for out-of-state recruiting of Africian-American athletes when the old Southwest Conference would sign only white kids. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that's the way it really was back before Levias went to SMU and Westbrook to Baylor.

JasperDog94
02-14-2004, 09:07 PM
I thought it was called the "Golden Triangle" because all the refineries in the area turned the night sky golden orange. :D :D :D

pakrat
02-14-2004, 10:10 PM
I think it might have something to do with the refineries or maybe the oil fields, the Lucas gusher and the resulting boom. Where is Old Card?
He should know.

X Man
02-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Actually it is because the football teams there are pure gold! Except WOS who is Blue and Silver.

WOS We Will Pursue, We WILL Gang Tackle!!

X Man

Old Cardinal
02-14-2004, 10:55 PM
OK, if you must know! Around 600 BC a traveler named Pythagoras,from Greece, sat out for what is now Norway. He met a young man named Leif the Lucky and they set out going West in a square- rigger. They were blown off course and landed near what is now known as Sabine Pass. Pythagoras jumped ship and Leif finally started home and discovered Vinland on the way home. It was reported by the local Karankawa Indians that Pythagoras sat out to survey the land around there and claim it for Greece. He walked due North for one whole day and night. He peed near what is now Orange. He them walked SW for another day and night and then peed in what is now Beaumont. Pythagoras then returned to the east stopping in what is now Port Arthur, and he peed there too. That is why they now call it the Golden Triangle! Pythagoras was able to catch a Chinese Junk that was off course and had stuck in Sabine Lake until the hightide freed it. He was able to make and adventerous journey by changing ships all the way back to Greece. Now you know the story of how the Golden Triangle got its name! Also Pythagoras comptemplated the three places where he peed and thru sub-concious deduction, of his Golden Triangle, was able to extrapolate the PYTHAGOREAN THEOREM....which today, he is a little more famous for....

<small>[ February 14, 2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

sinton66
02-14-2004, 11:01 PM
See. he didn't say a word about his gold!!! :D :D :D

Good cover story Old Cardinal!! wink

<small>[ February 14, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

WOSgrad
02-15-2004, 08:01 AM
I THINK it was done as some sort of marketing campaign late in the 60's. It was to signify all of the "gold" (i.e. money) that could be made in the area via refineries, shipping, oil, etc.. Throughout most of the '70s and into the eighties, the name had meaning...but since the mid-eighties, simply not the case.

That is why you are now having teams from the Traingle in 4A.

JasperDog94
02-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Old Cardinal:
OK, if you must know! Around 600 BC a traveler named Pythagoras,from Greece, sat out for what is now Norway. He met a young man named Leif the Lucky and they set out going West in a square- rigger. They were blown off course and landed near what is now known as Sabine Pass. Pythagoras jumped ship and Leif finally started home and discovered Vinland on the way home. It was reported by the local Karankawa Indians that Pythagoras sat out to survey the land around there and claim it for Greece. He walked due North for one whole day and night. He peed near what is now Orange. He them walked SW for another day and night and then peed in what is now Beaumont. Pythagoras then returned to the east stopping in what is now Port Arthur, and he peed there too. That is why they now call it the Golden Triangle! Pythagoras was able to catch a Chinese Junk that was off course and had stuck in Sabine Lake until the hightide freed it. He was able to make and adventerous journey by changing ships all the way back to Greece. Now you know the story of how the Golden Triangle got its name! Also Pythagoras comptemplated the three places where he peed and thru sub-concious deduction, of his Golden Triangle, was able to extrapolate the PYTHAGOREAN THEOREM....which today, he is a little more famous for....That's just too good OC....but seriously, where's the gold?

WOSgrad
02-15-2004, 11:57 AM
It's hidden under the new Bridge City High School. It was thought that the gold was going to be used to build the high school, but they were able to do it with all of the money that Gubna Ann's Robin Hood plan took from the WO-C and gave to BCISD.

Gobbla2001
02-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Dang Old Cardinal... You should have a 'BS' section all to yourself in the local paper, that was good...

Old Cardinal
02-15-2004, 12:40 PM
You will never find the Old Cardinal burying gold. Monetary savings belong in the stewardship category. I believe if you have been blessed with values above food, clothing and shelter, then you should invest in Initial Public Offerings and Secondary Offerings-that creates jobs and well being for our populous. That is why I believe in investing; its a win-win situation. Most of all its the right thing to do!

Gobbla2001
02-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Old Cardinal:
You will never find the Old Cardinal burying gold. Monetary savings belong in the stewardship category. I believe if you have been blessed with values above food, clothing and shelter, then you should invest in Initial Public Offerings and Secondary Offerings-that creates jobs and well being for our populous. That is why I believe in investing; its a win-win situation. Most of all its the right thing to do!But you still haven't answered the question... Where's the Gold buried at???????

We may never catch you burying your gold, but that doesn't mean you haven't done it before...

Buckeye80
02-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I thought it was because that's where the majority of the dancers on the old Saturday night hit "Solid Gold" hailed from.

Old Dog
02-15-2004, 11:16 PM
you guys are too much...... ya'll have minds like swiss watches and they never miss a tick!

JasperDog94, you are right about the oil and etc, I just took off on football as a sidelight and got carried away....but never the less, "that area" really produced some fine ball players.

pakrat
02-16-2004, 01:05 AM
eek! eek! eek!
OK, if you must know! Around 600 BC a traveler named Pythagoras,from Greece, sat out for what is now Norway. He met a young man named Leif the Lucky and they set out going West in a square- rigger. They were blown off course and landed near what is now known as Sabine Pass. Pythagoras jumped ship and Leif finally started home and discovered Vinland on the way home. It was reported by the local Karankawa Indians that Pythagoras sat out to survey the land around there and claim it for Greece. He walked due North for one whole day and night. He peed near what is now Orange. He them walked SW for another day and night and then peed in what is now Beaumont. Pythagoras then returned to the east stopping in what is now Port Arthur, and he peed there too. That is why they now call it the Golden Triangle! Pythagoras was able to catch a Chinese Junk that was off course and had stuck in Sabine Lake until the hightide freed it. He was able to make and adventerous journey by changing ships all the way back to Greece. Now you know the story of how the Golden Triangle got its name! Also Pythagoras comptemplated the three places where he peed and thru sub-concious deduction, of his Golden Triangle, was able to extrapolate the PYTHAGOREAN THEOREM....which today, he is a little more famous for....
eek! eek! eek!
Dang, Old Card! You are a windjammer, first class
bs'er. No wonder it stinks so bad there. Why don't you invent a way to make cheap, unbleached
toilet paper out of yellow pine or rice hulls or something like that and build a mill to put all those people to work so they will quit moving
away. Build 2 or 3 of 'em, so people will move in
and ya'll can go back to 4A. :D

pakrat
02-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Oh yes, about the gold. Actually, when Santa Anna
saw Sam Houston a coming, he sent his trusty right hand man, senor Pancho Villa, up the coast with the gold to be burried in such a manner that it could be located and dug up again. Pancho high-tailed it on his fastest steed. He rode several hours and dismounted on what is now Port Arthur. He dug furiously only to have salt water fill up every hole he dug. So he took off inland and stopped again on what is now Beaumont. He began to dig, only to have a worthless, black goo come oozing up and fill up the hole. More holes produced more of the oily goo. So he rode east and
dismounted. He buried the gold and put up a sign, but being the smart Mexican that he was, he knew not to write "gold" on his sign so he wrote "orange". When Pancho got back to camp, he saw Santa Anna a prisoner and felt it expedient to high tail it back to Mexico. When the cajuns came, they used the sign for firewood, but named the place Orange. But Pancho returned, looking for the gold. Without the sign, he was forced to retrace his ride in search of the gold. Thus the golden triangle. But Pancho kept having trouble with the US army. They couldn't understand he was only after Mexican gold. Did he find his gold? It's a great secret.

spiveyrat
02-16-2004, 06:45 AM
heh heh... good stories, guys! :D

Old Cardinal
02-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Actually things are getting better down here. Little-Cypress Mauriceville will be 5A in a few years. Orangefield is building 100+ good homes right down from the present HS, they are projected as a fast growing school District. Over at Bridge City, new construction is booming with mega-size homes. Also one addition of 100+ moderately priced homes is going in. I would predict that OF and BC will be in 4A again in the not-so-distant-future. As for Orange and West Orange proper, the population continues to crater as most people are moving to LC-M. They are bulldozing old Orange and building additions to Lamar University-Orange. There has been plants cutting back but new ground-up plant construction going in at a good clip. The odors are way down as the stringent discharge quantities are now strictly enforced. All in all, I would say the area is fareing much better than most of the more rural Texas areas and the income-per-family remains very very high.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Keith7
02-16-2004, 01:51 PM
i have learned that everyone from this area worships WOS

JasperDog94
02-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Keith7:
i have learned that everyone from this area worships WOSThen you have learned wrong.

NewStang
02-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Not worships, but respects...

Bulldog92
02-16-2004, 02:56 PM
JasperDog94:

Keith7:
i have learned that everyone from this area worships WOSThen you have learned wrong.Amen to that, spivey. How are ya buddy?

spiveyrat
02-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Bulldog92:

JasperDog94:

Keith7:
i have learned that everyone from this area worships WOSThen you have learned wrong.Amen to that, spivey. How are ya buddy?Doin' well. Waitin' for spring!!! You?

Bulldog92
02-16-2004, 03:06 PM
spiveyrat:

Bulldog92:

JasperDog94:

Keith7:
i have learned that everyone from this area worships WOSThen you have learned wrong.Amen to that, spivey. How are ya buddy?Doin' well. Waitin' for spring!!! You?Same here. Baseball season is about to get going and I can't wait to get out to Safeco Field on a nice Friday night and hear the leather popping and the crack of the bats...

WOS92
02-16-2004, 11:31 PM
No baseball! Football! Football!