PDA

View Full Version : Softball: Van 3 Celina 2

kepdawg
05-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Game 2 4PM Saturday @ Duncanville

Van scored 2 runs in the first off a couple of Celina errors. Van added another in the 6th. Celina scored both runs in the bottom of the 7th off a home run by the short stop.

scrub c
05-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Vandals...

pirate4state
05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Cool...is this the year Van finally seals the deal?

icu812
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Cool...is this the year Van finally seals the deal?

I sure hope so. If not there are only 3 seniors on this years team.

scrub c
05-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Sweeny/Needville are both pretty darn good!!! And it will take 1 heck of a performance to beat whichever one makes the trip to Austin...

Twirling Time
05-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Celina won Game 2, 4-1, and is winning Game 3 5-0 in the top of the seventh. Jasmine San Miguel just broke it open with a 3-run homer.

marler1972
05-30-2009, 08:22 PM
5-3 Celina Ladycats on to State Tourney. way to go.

kepdawg
05-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Great job by the Lady Cats today! I was concerned when I saw that Van was throwing a different pitcher in game 2. I was confident after Thursday's game that the Lady Cats could and would hit the #1 starter. They showed that they could in game 3. The Lady Cats came up with some big hits in both games and held their composure to overcome some mistakes. Roos seemed much more confident in herself on the mound as the series progressed. Congrats to Van on an excellent season! Congrats to the Lady Cats on making it to Austin! Two more wins! Good luck!

kepdawg
05-31-2009, 12:38 AM
Making a state-ment: Celina topples powerhouse Van

BY TYLER CLIFTON

HERALD DEMOCRAT

DUNCANVILLE -- Billy Coleman and his second-ranked Celina softball team knew two things after their loss on Thursday night -- their ability to hit the ball and the fact pitcher Kylie Roos would make sure she had enough in the tank to pitch back-to-back games if the situation arose.

It did, and it was Jasmine San Miguel who made sure Celina's season didn't come to a close, going 3-for-6 with five RBI in the final two games of the best-of-three series, including the deciding blow with a three-run home run in the top of the seventh inning of Game 3 to clinch the second trip to state in school history with a sweep of No. 1 Van (33-2) on Saturday at Duncanville High School.

Roos certainly did her part in the 5-3 victory against the previously undefeated Lady Vandals, who entered the day with a No. 21 ranking in USA Today's national poll. Claudia Cantu and Taylor Norris each finished 2-for-4 for the Lady Cats (36-5), who made things interesting with two errors in the bottom of the seventh inning before holding on for the victory.

"These girls don't know the meaning of the word quit, and they've been through a lot," said Coleman, who will coach in the state tournament for the second time in his four seasons. "They're not intimidated by any means and went toe-to-toe with one of the best teams in the country. We were able to put pressure on them which was something they weren't used to, and it's an unbelievable feeling to go back to state."

Roos got out of the first inning unscathed for the first time all series and the Celina bats were finally able to figure out Shelby Harris the way they did in the seventh inning of Game 1.

Taylor Norris had a two-out single in the fourth inning and scored on an error off the bat of Shelby Black to break a scoreless tie. Cantu reached on a fielder's choice in the sixth and scored on Black's RBI single.

"We knew there were a bunch of good freshmen coming in, and our goal from the beginning was to win state, not just to make it," said Black, who is one of three seniors who will make a second trip to Austin along with shortstop Joey Cronin and third baseman Brittanie Knowles. "We needed one more win to make it happen, and we all stepped up and got the job done."

Freshman Lindsie Knowles reached on an error in the seventh and moved to second on Roos' sacrifice bunt. Cronin singled to set the table for San Miguel and the junior lined a 2-0 pitch off the left-field foul pole for a three-run home run.

"I know she had to come with a strike, and she was pitching on the inside corner," San Miguel said. "I was just trying to make contact and didn't even see where the ball went."

Chelsea Smith singled, Jessica Marshburn doubled and a pair of Lady Vandal runners reached in the seventh inning after the sun was creating havoc for Black at first base, who was unable to catch a pair of throws on ground balls due to the glare.

Black received a pair of sunglasses, and like clockwork, caught a throw from Cronin to end the game.

Roos needed only 85 pitches for the win after throwing 104 in Game 1 and 97 more in Game 2. She allowed four hits and three runs, none earned, with two walks and four strikeouts.

"We made up our minds we weren't going to give up a run in the first inning like we did the first two games," Roos said. "We were able to eventually get some clutch hits. It's a phenomenal feeling to get back to state, and it still hasn't hit me yet. It's every player's dream to possibly end their season with a win, and we have that chance."

Earlier Saturday, Celina broke open a tie game with four runs in the sixth inning of a 5-1 victory. Shelby Carter, Roos and Cronin each finished 2-for-4.

Black's sacrifice fly in the fifth inning drove home pinch-runner Olivia Braddock to tie the game after Van had taken an early 1-0 lead. Cronin had a two-run double off the wall in the sixth with San Miguel adding an RBI single as Knowles had the first of five straight Celina hits.

Roos scattered seven hits with three walks and five strikeouts for the win.

LINK (http://www.heralddemocrat.com/hd/Sports/5-31-Celina-softball)

icu812
05-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Congrats to Celina they have a great team. They are going to be hard to beat. Great pitching and a strong hitting team. That 3 run shot off the foul pole in the 7th was a killer. I thought the teams were evenly matched except for Celina's pitcher who was clearly a step above either of Van's pitchers. Celina hit well against 2 good Van pitchers though. Great fan support for both teams. Go win state Celina!

Although I hated to see the 3 Van seniors go out like that it was another great season for the Lady Vandals. Congrats on a great high school career for Shelby Harris #11. She was a freshman catcher on Van's 2006 state finalist team and I believe she was an all state catcher in 2007. Did a nice job pitching this year. All three seniors have signed to play college ball.

With about 6 freshman on this years team the Lady Vandals will be back in the mix for years to come.

pirate4state
06-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by icu812
Congrats to Celina they have a great team. They are going to be hard to beat. Great pitching and a strong hitting team. That 3 run shot off the foul pole in the 7th was a killer. I thought the teams were evenly matched except for Celina's pitcher who was clearly a step above either of Van's pitchers. Celina hit well against 2 good Van pitchers though. Great fan support for both teams. Go win state Celina!

Although I hated to see the 3 Van seniors go out like that it was another great season for the Lady Vandals. Congrats on a great high school career for Shelby Harris #11. She was a freshman catcher on Van's 2006 state finalist team and I believe she was an all state catcher in 2007. Did a nice job pitching this year. All three seniors have signed to play college ball.

With about 6 freshman on this years team the Lady Vandals will be back in the mix for years to come.

Bummer about coming up short. Good luck to those seniors.

Nice job Celina. I watched the seniors play in Austin as freshman, can't remember who they lost to though.

Looking forward to watching them now that they are all growed up. ;)

scrub c
06-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I watched the seniors play in Austin as freshman, can't remember who they lost to though.

? come on...

pirate4state
06-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
? come on... I can't. I went to watch West Columbia-v-Barber's Hill, but when we got there Celina was playing and I don't remember who they were playing. Do you?

I went and looked it up, they played & lost to eventual state champ Weimar.

scrub c
06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/archives/softball/index.html

pirate4state
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/archives/softball/index.html yeah, i know the link. are you being difficult? :D i already looked it up! :nerd: