PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Ice Cream

Bullaholic
05-27-2009, 03:09 PM
It is nigh summer, and my thoughts turn to things that we used to eat in summers past. One of these things was homemade ice cream. We used to make it the old fashioned way with a hand cranked maker, ice and rock salt. As a kid, I used to have to sit on top of the maker as it was turned. One of the best things ever was being able to eat the freshly made ice cream off of the churn blades when it was pulled out. It has been so long since I made any that I think I have forgotten how. Any of you still make home made ice cream? If so, how do you do it, and what kind do you make?

Oh, and there were always plent of junebugs and lightning bugs flying around while we were making the ice cream. Don't see that many of those anymore, or frogs that came over to eat the junebugs, either.

44INAROW
05-27-2009, 04:01 PM
I guess it's been about 4 or 5 years since we made homemade ice cream. Assume the ice cream freezer is in the garage.. Might look for it this weekend. Love me some homemade ice cream - with fresh strawberries mixed in.. Peaches are good too. There are several methods but my mother in law's slow cooked recipe is hard to beat. Of course, anything made with Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk has got to be good :)

mwynn05
05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
best thing ever

CheerMom
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I make ice cream every year for my 9 year olds birthday....his one big request....I use my Mom's recipe that requires cooking a custard, Eagle Brand condensed milk and having alot of Adam's Extract vanilla.

44INAROW
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
I make ice cream every year for my 9 year olds birthday....his one big request....I use my Mom's recipe that requires cooking a custard, Eagle Brand condensed milk and having alot of Adam's Extract vanilla.

oh yea - that's the ticket :p

waterboy
05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Will you make me some??:inlove: That sounds GOOD!! I haven't eaten any of the custard since I was a kid. As a matter of fact, I haven't had the REAL homemade ice cream in a looooong time, either. We used to make it at church all the time when I was a kid. It was the best ice cream I ever ate.

Ex-Tiger2005
05-27-2009, 04:28 PM
my aunt makes peach homemade ice cream on the 4th of july and it is to die for

CheerMom
05-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Will you make me some??:inlove: That sounds GOOD!! I haven't eaten any of the custard since I was a kid. As a matter of fact, I haven't had the REAL homemade ice cream in a looooong time, either. We used to make it at church all the time when I was a kid. It was the best ice cream I ever ate.

I'll be making it on July 31st....you're more than welcome...:D

Bull's-eye
05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Yes, that stirs up a few memories. As kids we would make it at my grandparent's house, mostly vanilla with bananas or peaches. They had the old wooden bucket with the hand crank, we would put towels on top and take turns cranking. Homemade ice cream was always a summer treat and it tasted so good, I guess all the hard work made it taste better. I haven't made it in a while, I guess it's too easy to just buy Blue Bell.

waterboy
05-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Yes, that stirs up a few memories. As kids we would make it at my grandparent's house, mostly vanilla with bananas or peaches. They had the old wooden bucket with the hand crank, we would put towels on top and take turns cranking. Homemade ice cream was always a summer treat and it tasted so good, I guess all the hard work made it taste better. I haven't made it in a while, I guess it's too easy to just buy Blue Bell.
Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla is the closest I've tasted to the real thing, but it's still nowhere near as good, in my opinion. You're right, though, that's what I've been doing --- buying Blue Bell.:)

waterboy
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
I'll be making it on July 31st....you're more than welcome...:D
How far away do you live? It might be worth the drive.:D

Bull's-eye
05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I made some a few years ago, very good but doesn't quite have the smooth texture of regular ice cream. Is there a secret to getting it smoother or is that's the way most homemade ice cream comes out? I was given a great recipe, but it doesn't require cooking the mix. I know some people cook it and then refrigerate the mix over night.

lulu
05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
How many of you remember having to sit on top of the crank freezer when it got hard to crank so that it would not scoot around? Dad would fold a towel on it and we would take turns
sitting.

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
It is nigh summer, and my thoughts turn to things that we used to eat in summers past. One of these things was homemade ice cream. We used to make it the old fashioned way with a hand cranked maker, ice and rock salt. As a kid, I used to have to sit on top of the maker as it was turned. One of the best things ever was being able to eat the freshly made ice cream off of the churn blades when it was pulled out. It has been so long since I made any that I think I have forgotten how. Any of you still make home made ice cream? If so, how do you do it, and what kind do you make?

Oh, and there were always plent of junebugs and lightning bugs flying around while we were making the ice cream. Don't see that many of those anymore, or frogs that came over to eat the junebugs, either.
Dangit Bulla, I tried to search for some of the threads we had on this in the past (some good ones with pirate44 and others who made homeade ice cream).
The danged search engine doesn't allow words smaller than 4 letters so "ice cream" isn't allowed!:(
I make several types of homeade ice cream with an electric maker now. I'll share some of those in a few moments. (My vanilla is most requested but my family likes my homeade cheesecake ice cream the best.)
I don't remember the recipe for pirate44's big red ice cream but it was very good.
I, as you, remember sitting on that ole wooden hand cranker for what seemed like an eternity... it was always worth it. We used goat's milk and cream alot and it came out much creamier than cow's milk did.

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by lulu
How many of you remember having to sit on top of the crank freezer when it got hard to crank so that it would not scoot around? Dad would fold a towel on it and we would take turns
sitting.
lol
I took turns with my three brothers and my dad did the exact same thing.:clap:
BTW, welcome to the DL.:)

44INAROW
05-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Dangit Bulla, I tried to search for some of the threads we had on this in the past (some good ones with pirate44 and others who made homeade ice cream).
The danged search engine doesn't allow words smaller than 4 letters so "ice cream" isn't allowed!:(
my family likes my homeade cheesecake ice cream the best.)
I don't remember the recipe for pirate44's big red ice cream but it was very good.

is this is Daniel?

This is the recipe I used as I couldn't find FoFo's one from last year.:(
Big Red Ice Cream
1 quart whipping cream
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 ten-ounce package frozen strawberries (optional)
3 cans of Big Red (36 fluid ounces)

Mix all of the above ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well. Pour into an ice cream freezer and fill freezer to fill line with milk.

Yields: 1 gallon or 1 1/2 gallons

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
is this is Daniel?
This is the recipe I used as I couldn't find FoFo's one from last year.
Big Red Ice Cream
1 quart whipping cream
1 ten-ounce package frozen strawberries (optional)
3 cans of Big Red (36 fluid ounces)

Mix all of the above ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well. Pour into an ice cream freezer and fill freezer to fill line with milk.

Yields: 1 gallon or 1 1/2 gallons
That's looks like it. Thanks!:)

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 08:40 PM
My homeade vanilla ice cream recipe(this makes a very strong vanilla flavor ice cream, reduce extract as needed for taste):
[for a six quart ice cream maker]
1 qt of whole cream
1 qt of half and half
4 eggs(you don't have to have them but these work great for me)
1 vanilla pod crushed into very small pieces without the shell
6 tablespoons of vanilla extract(4-5 if you use strong quality brands)
1 gallon of milk (will only use 2.5 quarts or so)
2-3 cups of sugar(or equivalent Splenda)
2 cans evaporated milk
Lots of crushed ice (cubes can be used but you'll need more rock salt) about 16 or so pounds for a six quart maker
1 carton of rock salt

1. Combine beaten eggs, 1 quart milk, crushed vanilla pod, vanilla extract and sugar into a sauce pan large enough to hold all ingredients easily(3 quart pan is fine)
2. Heat on stove over low to medium heat to gradually bring the temperature up while stirring every every minute or so. When the mixture heats up close to boiling stir more often. You want to bring the mixture to just before it starts to hard boil, when the top looks like it has small bubbles without actually having a rolling boil. Go to the next step when lots of small bubbles form on top.
3. Remove from heat immediately, stir and set aside in the refrigerator or freezer for 1 hour.
4. Set the ice cream container(the tall round silver one that homemade ice cream is actually made in lol) in bottom of ice cream maker tub and cover the outside bottom of the tub with a thin layer of rock salt.
5. Pour in the contents of the sauce pan(from earlier), the two cans of condensed milk, the quart of half and half, the quart of whole cream and enough milk to bring up the mixture to the "fill line" that all modern containers have now.
6. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
7. Add ribs and cap to the ice cream container.
8. Add ice around the container(inside the tub lol) in layers of 1-2 inches inter-spaced with a good layer of rock salt(enough to cover most of the ice) until the ice/rock salt is level with the top of the ice cream container.
9. Wrap a thick towel around the whole tub and partially cover the top.
10. Put on electric top properly and plug in to start churning process.
11. After ten minutes, check the level of ice and add more ice and salt accordingly. Do this every ten minutes as the ice level will drop a bit the first 30-50 minutes.
12. When the machine stops, unplug it.
13. Remove the ribs and scrape off the ice cream on them with a spatula back to the container.
14. Let set in the ice for 30 or so minutes to "harden"...
15. AND ENJOY!

44INAROW
05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
sounds good SF - give me a holler when it's ready ;) and just an FYI for anyone making this or any recipe with Vanilla Extract - if you are using 'pure vanilla" from Mexico - cut it by about 1/2 - that stuff from Mexico is delicious but S T R O N G :p

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I use the Costco extract and it is very strong too(but I like it that way and the vanilla bean gives it an extra kick lol).
The recipe I posted is for the stuff you buy at Wally World.

CheerMom
05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
How far away do you live? It might be worth the drive.:D

Well, if you're in Gilmer about 5 hours or so.....I'm between San Antonio and Houston.....

BwdLion73
05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by lulu
sitting.

Yeah and that towel still got cold. I also remember Dad going and buying a block of ice that we had to chip with an ice pick to put in the Ice Cream maker. :)

Ranger Mom
05-28-2009, 10:30 AM
That's looks like it. Thanks!:)

I'm interested in the homemade cheesecake ice cream recipe!!

SintonFan
05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I'm interested in the homemade cheesecake ice cream recipe!!
I'll post it this evening. It's really easy.

SintonFan
05-28-2009, 06:58 PM
My homeade cheesecake ice cream recipe):
[for a six quart ice cream maker]
1 qt of whole cream
1 qt of half and half
3 packages of no-cook cheesecake mix(separate the actual cheesecake envelopes and the graham crust envelopes)
3-4 tablespoons of vanilla extract
1 gallon of milk (will only use 2.5 quarts or so)
2-3 cups of sugar(or equivalent Splenda)
Lots of crushed ice (cubes can be used but you'll need more rock salt) about 16 or so pounds for a six quart maker
1 carton of rock salt

1. Combine 1 quart milk, vanilla extract and sugar into a sauce pan large enough to hold all ingredients easily(3 quart pan is fine)
2. Heat on stove over low to medium heat to gradually bring the temperature up while stirring every every minute or so. When the mixture heats up close to boiling stir more often. You want to bring the mixture to just before it starts to hard boil, when the top looks like it has small bubbles without actually having a rolling boil. Go to the next step when lots of small bubbles form on top.
3. Remove from heat immediately, stir and set aside in the refrigerator or freezer for 1 hour.
4. Set the ice cream container(the tall round silver one that homemade ice cream is actually made in lol) in bottom of ice cream maker tub and cover the outside bottom of the tub with a thin layer of rock salt.
5. Pour in the contents of the sauce pan(from earlier), the two cans of condensed milk, the quart of half and half, the quart of whole cream, 2 to 3 envelopes of the cheesecake mix, 2.5 is generally optimal for a 6 qt maker as too much cheesecake mix will make the mix too thick,(save the graham crust mix envelopes for topping later)and enough milk to bring up the mixture to the "fill line" that all modern containers have now.
6. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
7. Add ribs and cap to the ice cream container.
8. Add ice around the container(inside the tub lol) in layers of 1-2 inches inter-spaced with a good layer of rock salt(enough to cover most of the ice) until the ice/rock salt is level with the top of the ice cream container.
9. Wrap a thick towel around the whole tub and partially cover the top.
10. Put on electric top properly and plug in to start churning process.
11. After ten minutes, check the level of ice and add more ice and salt accordingly. Do this every ten minutes as the ice level will drop a bit the first 30-50 minutes.
12. When the machine stops, unplug it.
13. Remove the ribs and scrape off the ice cream on them with a spatula back to the container.
14. Let set in the ice for 30 or so minutes to "harden"...
15. After scooping out a healthy serving of the cheesecake ice cream into your favorite bowl, poor the graham crust on top for the best experience.
16. AND ENJOY!
This is my wife's favorite. Mine too.
You can add a carton of frozen strawberries for a great twist.:)
You can eliminate steps 1-3 by microwaving a cup of milk, until it's hot but not boiling, and add the ingredients from the steps to stir them in good. Go to step 4 after everything is mixed well. This'll save you 1 1/2 hours or more.:nerd:

LH Panther Mom
05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Yeah and that towel still got cold. I also remember Dad going and buying a block of ice that we had to chip with an ice pick to put in the Ice Cream maker. :)
Shoot! My mom used a paper 1-gallon milk carton that we had to pick....after we peeled the carton off. :doh:

SintonFan
05-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Shoot! My mom used a paper 1-gallon milk carton that we had to pick....after we peeled the carton off. :doh:
My dad would freeze two of those and bang them against the concrete floor of the porch. Worked great.:devil: :D

SintonFan
05-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I made some a few years ago, very good but doesn't quite have the smooth texture of regular ice cream. Is there a secret to getting it smoother or is that's the way most homemade ice cream comes out? I was given a great recipe, but it doesn't require cooking the mix. I know some people cook it and then refrigerate the mix over night.
The more cream you use the "smoother" it will be. I use a combination of half and half and cream to maximize the creaminess. Cooking it does help give it that 'ol fashioned flavor imho.