PDA

View Full Version : The thing that really sucks about being an educator...

themsu97
05-27-2009, 10:47 AM
is one of the same thing that sucks about being a parent...

I have just received news that yet another former student of mine has passed. This is like the the fourth or fifth student this year... two of natural causes, two of suicides and the most recent was killed in a car wreck with her mother and 3 year old nephew this past weekend...
no wonder I feel numb a lot...
this really sucks...

On the flip side, it is rewarding that many of my former students are also very proudly serving this country in the military and I am glad that I had this past Memorial day to honor them for what they do

Bullaholic
05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
is one of the same thing that sucks about being a parent...

I have just received news that yet another former student of mine has passed. This is like the the fourth or fifth student this year... two of natural causes, two of suicides and the most recent was killed in a car wreck with her mother and 3 year old nephew this past weekend...
no wonder I feel numb a lot...
this really sucks...

On the flip side, it is rewarding that many of my former students are also very proudly serving this country in the military and I am glad that I had this past Memorial day to honor them for what they do

I think you deserve to be a teacher, themsu97---you care about the kids and what happens to them and you take an active interest in their futures after they leave your trust. God Bless you and all of the caring, loving, and true mentor example teachers out there. I find this thread to be astoundingly co-incidental as I watched the movie "The Power of One" again last night.

pancho villa
05-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think you deserve to be a teacher, themsu97---you care about the kids and what happens to them and you take an active interest in their futures after they leave your trust. God Bless you and all of the caring, loving, and true mentor example teachers out there. I find this thread to be astoundingly co-incidental as I watched the movie "The Power of One" again last night.

If you only knew the numnut he really is!

kaorder1999
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
by far the toughest part about working in education. I have had a few former students pass away as well. In the last two years we have lost 4 to car accidents, three this year. Had a former student kill himself last year. My first year of teaching had a kid killed in a car accident as well.

themsu97
05-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa

thanks Pancho... btw, it is numbnuts...

This past student was truly a good student... bright future, yet they all have one...

Pancho, shouldn't you be at Lucy's?

garciap77
05-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs053.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

themsu97
05-27-2009, 03:28 PM
what?