PDA

View Full Version : Marketing 101

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Last year's Burnet-Sinton game was the an exciting close game with both schools packing Bobcat stadium. It made tons of money for Both schools. Properly marketed and scheduled it could have even made more money for the schools this year. Instead it was scheduled the day after Thanksgiving at the same time as the Texas-A&M game, 4 hours away from Burnet. Someone should send whoever set up this game, back to college to retake marketing 101. What an idiot. :mad: :mad: :mad:

3afan
11-23-2003, 01:00 PM
as i said in another thread, it appears sinton used the site-selection process to get the game at a site that gives them their best chance to WIN THE GAME. thats what its all about so you can't blame sinton for that IMO.

Burnet Dawg06
11-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Yeah no kidding...I think San Marcos was a more convienent site for both Sinton and Burnet last year. Last year Sinton had to travel but it was nothing really compared to what Burnet has to travel to go play them this year. Oh well, you can bet Burnet isn't going to let the drive get in the way of their quest for the state championship.

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 01:05 PM
3afan:
as i said in another thread, it appears sinton used the site-selection process to get the game at a site that gives them their best chance to WIN THE GAME. thats what its all about so you can't blame sinton for that IMO.They're going to lose both the game and money. Even the local people won't attend. Texas tradition has Texans eating left overs and watching the Texas-A&M game. No way they will attend a 3A highschool game over that. At least a Saturday game would have probably brought out some Corpus fans if the local papers gave us some press.

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

29x281
11-23-2003, 01:06 PM
I don't think marketing is their strategy.

sinton66
11-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Paintball, I think the crowd this game draws will surprize you. The rest of our district and all of 31-3A are bouncing round balls now, and all of them are within a 30 minute drive from Corpus. Of course, the majority will likely be supporting my Pirates. It wouldn't surprize me to see this one make more money than last year. Guess we'll find out Friday. If it does, do you intend to apologize to our staff?

29east
11-23-2003, 01:17 PM
I agree with you Paintball!!!!

On the drive home last night I told my wife that I felt that the Sinton Admin... would make the classy and respectful decision to play the game at a neutral site. It really blew me away when I learned the game is in Corpus at 3pm, the day after Thanksgiving. After what I saw from the Sinton fans last year and reading all the Sinton post on this sight I had full respect for Sinton. Not that it matters but Sinton just lost my respect. Burnet could have played someplace other than San Marcos last year but chose to make it a managable commute for both teams and towns.

I guess when you get that hopeless feeling(Sinton Admin. and coaches) you do what you can to try to get that edge....

Shipley is a class coach. I have feeling he will try and not make this a big issue with the team. Within himself he has to feel he may have been "SCREWED" a little bit. Come friday night you may see his feeling about the matter shown on the scoreboard.

Just my feeling and take on the issue.

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 01:17 PM
sinton66:
Paintball, I think the crowd this game draws will surprize you. The rest of our district and all of 31-3A are bouncing round balls now, and all of them are within a 30 minute drive from Corpus. Of course, the majority will likely be supporting my Pirates. It wouldn't surprize me to see this one make more money than last year. Guess we'll find out Friday. If it does, do you intend to apologize to our staff?Only people with a dog in this hunt will be there. Everyone else will be watching the Texas-A&M game. That's what I would be doing if it was Liberty Hill playing 30 minutes from Burnet. If it was Saturday, I would also go to the Liberty Hill game. It's not just the location, it's also the date and time. Bad marketing. I don't know if it was your administration that picked the date and time or ours, so I don't know who I'm badmouthing and I don't care. Bad marketing.

Burnet Dawg06
11-23-2003, 01:18 PM
29east:
I agree with you Paintball!!!!

On the drive home last night I told my wife that I felt that the Sinton Admin... would make the classy and respectful decision to play the game at a neutral site. It really blew me away when I learned the game is in Corpus at 3pm, the day after Thanksgiving. After what I saw from the Sinton fans last year and reading all the Sinton post on this sight I had full respect for Sinton. Not that it matters but Sinton just lost my respect. Burnet could have played someplace other than San Marcos last year but chose to make it a managable commute for both teams and towns.

I guess when you get that hopeless feeling(Sinton Admin. and coaches) you do what you can to try to get that edge....

Shipley is a class coach. I have feeling he will try and not make this a big issue with the team. Within himself he has to feel he may have been "SCREWED" a little bit. Come friday night you may see his feeling about the matter shown on the scoreboard.

Just my feeling and take on the issue.Same here!

turbostud
11-23-2003, 01:18 PM
I plan on going to this game and it is a 3 hour drive for me from Weslaco. So if I can make the drive and not complain about it then so can Burnet fans.

3afan
11-23-2003, 01:19 PM
PAINTBALL:

3afan:
as i said in another thread, it appears sinton used the site-selection process to get the game at a site that gives them their best chance to WIN THE GAME. thats what its all about so you can't blame sinton for that IMO.They're going to lose both the game and money. Even the local people won't attend. Texas tradition has Texans eating left overs and watching the Texas-A&M game. No way they will attend a 3A highschool game over that. At least a Saturday game would have probably brought out some Corpus fans if the local papers gave us some press.yup, they'll lose $ and they'll most likely lose the game, but they gotta do what they gotta do to get an edge ... anyone who cares and wants to see the game will be there, anyone who don't won't ... and you can always tape the UT-A&M game

turbostud
11-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Probably the reason the time was chosen as 3pm is there is a 5a game Harlingen vs. Austin Westlake at 8pm following the Burnet/Sinton game.

Dink&dunk7
11-23-2003, 01:28 PM
It's gotten to the point where the coach that wins the flip picks the stadium 10 minutes down the street from them. Seems like it used to be that a site somewhere half way was always the first option.

29x281
11-23-2003, 01:31 PM
"anyone who cares and wants to see the game will be there, anyone who don't won't" -- 3afan

Oh spare me. There are elderly people who care, people with small children who care, people who have obligations to be with family who care about this game. It's a hardship on all these people.

There's absolutely no reason the game shouldn't be in San Antonio. The right thing to do was to make it accessible for as many people as possible. But that didn't happen.

I agree with those who posted above: Burnet's resentment at this arrangement will be reflected on the scoreboard. Sinton fans better hope for hurricane conditions, because they'll see the most highly motivated Burnet team we've seen all year.

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 01:32 PM
turbostud:
I plan on going to this game and it is a 3 hour drive for me from Weslaco. So if I can make the drive and not complain about it then so can Burnet fans.You misunderstand my post. I'm going to be there with bells on and my noisemakers and so will most of the Burnet fans that made the trip to Victoria. We will lose the die heart Aggies and Longhorns that will be in College Station on that date, but that will probably only be about 50-100 from Burnet, and about that many from Sinton. I predict about 2500-3000 from each school. A lot of difference from 13,000. Our fans will equal Sinton's in size and noise. Bad, Bad marketing.

sinton66
11-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Obviously you believe that Sinton could not possibly have a following from our peers as Burnet does in Central Texas. Believe what you want, it's a done deal. Show up or don't. We'll be there.

bleedmaroon
11-23-2003, 01:57 PM
It seems from the posts here that Burnet intended to play Sinton half-ass this next week until they got ticked off about the site selection. What a crock. They were gonna give Sinton all they had regardless. I think the fans are making way more out of this than the kids ever thought about it.

29x281
11-23-2003, 01:59 PM
I do think Sinton had a chance of catching Burnet flat.

Not now.

Buccaneer
11-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Who would waste an afternoon watching A&M play football?

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 02:07 PM
sinton66:
Obviously you believe that Sinton could not possibly have a following from our peers as Burnet does in Central Texas. Believe what you want, it's a done deal. Show up or don't. We'll be there.We'll be there and our crowd will equal yours. About 5,000 total instead of 13,000. I'm glad Sinton's school system has so much money that it doesn't have to let finances enter into their decisions. I just hate bad financial decisions. Bad marketing.

olddawggreen
11-23-2003, 02:07 PM
PAINTBALL:

turbostud:
I plan on going to this game and it is a 3 hour drive for me from Weslaco. So if I can make the drive and not complain about it then so can Burnet fans.You misunderstand my post. I'm going to be there with bells on and my noisemakers and so will most of the Burnet fans that made the trip to Victoria. We will lose the die heart Aggies and Longhorns that will be in College Station on that date, but that will probably only be about 50-100 from Burnet, and about that many from Sinton. I predict about 2500-3000 from each school. A lot of difference from 13,000. Our fans will equal Sinton's in size and noise. Bad, Bad marketing.Paint Ball, I agree that the time of the game will probably cost the game some Texas-A&M fans, but you might be supprised how many people are in the Corpus area that have Burnet ties. If its a done deal, lets just go with it and make the best of it. We will make up the $$ over the next couple of weeks if we continue to win. Honestly, if I was Sinton and I had to face Burnet next week, it wouldn't be money that I would be worring about. And I would definatly try to use any advantage available to me. P. S. don't be too offended but with the way A&M is playing this year, I know of quite a few Texas- A&M fans that will be at the Burnet game with their radios. :D :D

xlr8tor
11-23-2003, 02:12 PM
bleedmaroon:
It seems from the posts here that Burnet intended to play Sinton half-ass this next week until they got ticked off about the site selection. What a crock. They were gonna give Sinton all they had regardless. I think the fans are making way more out of this than the kids ever thought about it.I don't know. It could be like another big Green monster that said, "don't make me mad, you won't like me when I'm mad." At this point, I don't think I'd want to make Burnet very mad. Just my take.

1team1dream
11-23-2003, 02:20 PM
PAINTBALL i couldnt agree with you more.. but its ok because we both know that burnet comes to play when they are called on. this isnt anything different. for those not able to travel to see the DAWGS play...im sure they will bring home a present that will bring them 1 step closer to what we all want! :D

bleedmaroon
11-23-2003, 02:34 PM
All I'm saying is that I think the kids are excited to be playing and they don't care where. They'd play the game in Alaska if they were told to. The fans are the only ones upset. Burnet will come to Corpus ready to play 100% just as if it had been in San Antonio.

29east
11-23-2003, 02:59 PM
The bottom line is that the Sinton decision makers have made a poor and classless decision. Like I said before I expected more from the Sinton admin.. and I have a pretty good notion that Coach Shipley expected a better decision also.

That said.....Bleedmaroon you are most likely right that the fans are making more out of the travel than the team will be. These are high school kids who will play where the coaches tell them to. But, this is also the playoffs and I feel the Burnet coaches will remember the decision that the Sinton admin.. made. If the opportunity is there to make a statement it may be made. I know these are high school kids and punishing them is not fair but the Sinton admin. should have thought about that also.

bleedmaroon
11-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Punishment? What's the deal? Has Burnet never had to travel to a football game? Have all the games Burnet has played been within an hour or two of home?

GreatBigBurnetFan
11-23-2003, 03:22 PM
My wife and I are going to make a weekend of it.
I was stationed at Both Corpus and Kingsville. I will go out to Flour Bluff, then to the Lex, I was tdy there too. We want to go to the museum and get some fresh seafood.

I also know that with the number of Sinton folks that traveled to watch the game last year, they will have more than 2-3K folks there. Isn't it about 35 miles from Sinton? To all you folks we'll
have a great game. Just enjoy all that Corpus has to offer.

If you can give me the names of some good fresh
seafood places, without having to go all the way to the "Big Fisherman", I'd appreciate it!

I don't look forward to the driving, but I will enjoy the game and the other "stuff". Just be careful driving and please pray for an injury free" game for for both teams.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

bleedmaroon
11-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Corpus Christi Attractions (http://www.corpuschristi-tx-cvb.org/attractions.html)

Restaurants (http://www.wliinc2.com/cgi/foxweb.dll/wlx/dir/wlxdirectory?cc=CCTX&LcCategory=dining)

Don't forget after-hours entertainment in downtown Corpus Christi.

C'mon down Burnet fans, you'll have fun!!

bigdogsbulldogmom
11-23-2003, 03:42 PM
fyi bleedmaroon, some of our district games are 2 and 3 hrs. away.my group travels every, week,considering we catch the jv games also and you can bet your taco $ ill be in CC to see this one too.not a problem 4 me but an arrogant choice considering we chose a central site last year

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: bigdogsbulldogmom ]</small>

Burnet Dawg06
11-23-2003, 04:12 PM
bleedmaroon:
Punishment? What's the deal? Has Burnet never had to travel to a football game? Have all the games Burnet has played been within an hour or two of home?Yeah, I think that the least we had to travel to any away games was to Llano which is about 30 minutes away. All the rest of the away games have been more than an hour or 2 drive.

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 04:15 PM
bleedmaroon:
Punishment? What's the deal? Has Burnet never had to travel to a football game? Have all the games Burnet has played been within an hour or two of home?You still don't understand my post. Public officials have a duty to taxpayers to make sound financial decisions. If their salary depended on how sound these decisions were, you can bet they would try to equal or better last year's revenue. Greatbigburnetfan, I know you will be there as will almost every other Burnet fan that made the trip to Victoria. Sinton will only bring about the same number. The travel or date will have no effect on the outcome of the game and that doesn't bother me. Neither does my traveling. I also look forward to the good seafood in Corpus. My guess is this decision will cost each school about $15,000-$20,000. As a taxpaper, that makes me mad.

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

3afan
11-23-2003, 04:23 PM
if the game were being played in Austin you would not have made the post IMO ............

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 04:25 PM
3afan:
if the game were being played in Austin you would not have made the post IMO ............If it was being played in Austin at the same time as the Texas-A&M game, I would have even been more upset.

bleedmaroon
11-23-2003, 04:28 PM
paintball, following your logic the school districts are making unsound financial decisions by supporting athletic programs that don't generate near the revenue that football programs. Oh yeah, and while we're at it let's vote the school board out because they spend money on other UIL events like FPS, Academic Decathalon, and the like, that don't generate any revenue. I've heard enough, I'm outta here.

sinton66
11-23-2003, 04:43 PM
PAINTBALL:

3afan:
if the game were being played in Austin you would not have made the post IMO ............If it was being played in Austin at the same time as the Texas-A&M game, I would have even been more upset.Obviously, there's NO pleasing you at all, so why not drop it and wait to see what happens. And as far as the "classless" comment, some of you Burnet fans have no room to talk on that one. What a bunch of cry-baby crap! Somebody call the waaaa-mbulance!

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

bigdogsbulldogmom
11-23-2003, 04:49 PM
hey.HEY....yall play together and behave or go to your room........ oooooooooo :D

29east
11-23-2003, 05:01 PM
Sinton66...Just another classless comment!!!!

We have run this topic into the ground though!!

All this talk is not going to matter once 3pm rolls around on friday. Sinton will learn first hand why BURNET is the #1 team in state.

Burnet by at least 28!!!!

sinton66
11-23-2003, 05:20 PM
You know, 29east, since you're the one that started the "classless" comment, I wouldn't talk if I were you. I merely responded to your "classless" comment. And by the way, who started this stupid infantile thread? This was class?

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

olddog73
11-23-2003, 06:25 PM
This is getting really ridiculus and annoying. Sinton and Burnet BOTH are a class act in real life, quit whining and running each other down over something that has been decided and we have no control over. Burnet fans, one of the greatest memories I have of the 1991 Burnet-Groesbeck final match up was seeing our kids having the experience of traveling to Houston to play in a new stadium. The kids loved it, and the adults had a great time too, even though it was played a long way from home. Ive talked to a number of young people in Burnet today and all of them have been excited about playing in Corpus next week. It seems that the kids have a much easier time accepting it than some of you adults. Get over it and lets try to set an example for our young people. Because, you know what, things don't always go the way you want them to in real life and we have to learn to live with it and make the best of it! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: olddog73 ]</small>

southern_thunder
11-23-2003, 06:48 PM
What most of you dont understand is that site selection has nothing to do with making the fans happy or making money. It is about trying to give your team the best advantage to win the game. The way I see it Sinton should have chose a stadium in Harligen as their home site.

3afan
11-23-2003, 06:50 PM
southern_thunder:
What most of you dont understand is that site selection has nothing to do with making the fans happy or making money. It is about trying to give your team the best advantage to win the game. The way I see it Sinton should have chose a stadium in Harligen as their home site..
B I N G O

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

sinton66
11-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah, well, we DID win the toss.

BHS#1
11-23-2003, 07:31 PM
I personally I am upset because this team is a dream of a life time. I LOVE to watch this kids play. To think this is the last year they will play together and it makes me sad. I don't understand the way the UIL works but I think Sinton could have been more accomdating. But I know I will be there to see the team come one step closer to there dream. People don't get the Burnet fans and they never will.

29x281
11-23-2003, 07:38 PM
The point of selecting a site is NOT to gain an advantage. It's to select an equitable arrangement. Sometimes that proves impossible, and other "home" sites have to be substituted, such as Burnet and Wharton's RoundRock/Victoria arrangement.

In this case, however, a neutral, equitable site was available in San Antonio, but Sinton wanted nothing of it.

sinton66
11-23-2003, 07:44 PM
29x281, were YOU involved in the negotiations personally?

BHS#1
11-23-2003, 08:09 PM
I don't understand why Sinton couldn't find 5A school between the two towns. Most school are playing B-ball right now.

29x281
11-23-2003, 08:14 PM
I wasn't personally involved, but the info isn't exactly a state secret, nor should it be. That's how it went down. If you don't want to believe it that's fine.

PPHSfan
11-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Wow, I just got home, and I really expected the "HOT" topic to be who was gonna beat who in a game of football next friday. I guess I really should not be surprised that the location of a game could bring out so much animosity, but then again, this is the playoffs and that is why you have "choices" when it comes to coin flips and predetermined locations.

I guess that I will jump in with my two and a half cents worth too.

If I am the Sinton coach, I am going to make the same decision, if I win the toss. Here is why.

Marketing 101 is all fine and dandy if you never moved on to Advanced Marketing Strategies. Call me stupid, but if I think my choice gives me a better chance to win the football game and play again, then Marketing 101 is for beginners.

Think about it, if you were Sinton's coach and you get to make the decision, are you going to play McGee and Shipley and Company indoors on turf? Or do you want to play the best passing duo on the planet where the wind gusts to 40mph on a normal day, and the chance of a mud bowl is about 50/50?

Ask yourself this question. What is more important? Accomodating my competition's fans....or giving my team the best chance at winning the ballgame?

If you answered "Accomodating my competition's fans" then you have not even had Marketing 101, and maybe you should start with a remedial course in winning football games. :p

sinton66
11-23-2003, 08:27 PM
29x281:
I wasn't personally involved, but the info isn't exactly a state secret, nor should it be. That's how it went down. If you don't want to believe it that's fine.29x281, do you expect me to believe that Sinton didn't counter offer anything to San Antonio? I HAVE to assume they did and it was unacceptable to YOUR staff, hence, the flip. That's why it's called a negotiation.

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 08:28 PM
PPHSfan:
Wow, I just got home, and I really expected the "HOT" topic to be who was gonna beat who in a game of football next friday. I guess I really should not be surprised that the location of a game could bring out so much animosity, but then again, this is the playoffs and that is why you have "choices" when it comes to coin flips and predetermined locations.

If I am the Sinton coach, I am going to make the same decision, if I win the toss. Here is why.

Marketing 101 is all fine and dandy if you never moved on to Advanced Marketing Strategies. Call me stupid, but if I think my choice gives me a better chance to win the football game and play again, then Marketing 101 is for beginners.

Think about it, if you were Sinton's coach and you get to make the decision, are you going to play McGee and Shipley and Company indoors on turf? Or do you want to play the best passing duo on the planet where the wind gusts to 40mph on a normal day, and the chance of a mud bowl is about 50/50?

Ask yourself this question. What is more important? Accomodating my competition's fans....or giving my team the best chance at winning the ballgame?

If you answered "Accomodating my competition's fans" then you have not even had Marketing 101, and maybe you should start with a remedial course in winning football games. :p But why Friday at 3:00 o'clock in direct competition with the Texas-A&M game and cutting short peoples Thanksgiving Holidays. Why not Saturday at 3:00 o'clock. Same advantage, more fans.

southern_thunder
11-23-2003, 08:28 PM
29x281:
The point of selecting a site is NOT to gain an advantage. It's to select an equitable arrangement. Sometimes that proves impossible, and other "home" sites have to be substituted, such as Burnet and Wharton's RoundRock/Victoria arrangement.

In this case, however, a neutral, equitable site was available in San Antonio, but Sinton wanted nothing of it.Think what you want to but site selection has nothing to do with equitabilty, yes sometimes a neutral site is good for both team and it works out. But a coach at any time can choose not to agree to a neutral site for what ever reason. And in a case of playing Burnet I would think that a coach would try to gain any advantage possible. From making them drive as far as possible to what time the game starts and what day it is played. You just have to decide if it is worth the risk of losing the coin toss to try to get Burnet traveling.

southern_thunder
11-23-2003, 08:32 PM
PAINTBALL:

PPHSfan:

If you answered "Accomodating my competition's fans" then you have not even had Marketing 101, and maybe you should start with a remedial course in winning football games. :p But why Friday at 3:00 o'clock in direct competition with the Texas-A&M game and cutting short peoples Thanksgiving Holidays. Why not Saturday at 3:00 o'clock. Same advantage, more fans.The people involved, I would guess, think that the Burnet v. Sinton game is more important than the UT v. ATM game. And another guess would be that Sinton chose Friday because they have been playing on Friday and Burnet has been playing on Saturday and it gives Burnet a day less of preparation and rest. Again strategy to gain any advantage possible over a seemingly invincable Burnet team.

29x281
11-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Perhaps you're referring to Sinton's suggestion to play in Seguin? Matador Stadium seats 9000, which wouldn't be enough to hold the fans from both towns. Their facilities aren't quite up to ALamo Stadium or the Alamodome.

What about restuarants/peripheral activities? I won't even start comparing the riverwalk of San Antonio to Seguin's many lovely bridges over the Guadalupe River.

Seguin would have been an injustice to the fans from both Sinton and Burnet.

3afan
11-23-2003, 08:43 PM
29x281:
......... a neutral, equitable site was available in San Antonio, but Sinton wanted nothing of it.... which is their right according to the rules !!! yes, its unfortunate for burnet, but you cant fault sinton.

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 08:45 PM
southern_thunder:

PAINTBALL:

PPHSfan:

If you answered "Accomodating my competition's fans" then you have not even had Marketing 101, and maybe you should start with a remedial course in winning football games. :p But why Friday at 3:00 o'clock in direct competition with the Texas-A&M game and cutting short peoples Thanksgiving Holidays. Why not Saturday at 3:00 o'clock. Same advantage, more fans.The people involved, I would guess, think that the Burnet v. Sinton game is more important than the UT v. ATM game. And another guess would be that Sinton chose Friday because they have been playing on Friday and Burnet has been playing on Saturday and it gives Burnet a day less of preparation and rest. Again strategy to gain any advantage possible over a seemingly invincable Burnet team.O.K. I didn't think of that Friday-Saturday preperation thing, because I never really understood it. Kids don't practice until Monday anyway. Fans will not show if you push them too far however, and with Sinton being the underdog a lot of their fans are going to sit home, eat leftovers, visit with their relatives and watch the Texas-A&M game on T.V. This is afterall a Texas tradition. I predict between 5,000 to 6,000 fans at the game. How many do you think will be there. I also predict a equal number of Burnet fans.

PPHSfan
11-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Question: What is worse than losing a coin toss?

Answer: Listening to your fans cry about the results of losing a coin toss?

I wonder why two teams bother flipping a coin? Why not just poll the fans and ask them where they would like the game played? Or better yet, why not play the game on the internet? Yea, then maybe there could be some interactive things the fans could do, like putting big heads on the quarterbacks, and making the uniforms flash in neon colors, and maybe if you win, you could blow up the other teams mascot, and name a holiday after your head coach. Yea, that sounds like a lot more fun, don't it?

3afan
11-23-2003, 08:46 PM
PPHSfan:

If you answered "Accomodating my competition's fans" then you have not even had Marketing 101, and maybe you should start with a remedial course in winning football games. :p wow - i agree with you. o no ......... frown

sinton66
11-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Ok dude, get out a damned map and point out some other 5A venues east of San Antonio and south of I10,approximateky half way between us. Apparently, we didn't want to play on turf or in the city of San Antonio, plain and simple. That's why it's called a negotiation. Does that qualify us as classless and unsportsmanlike? It was up to BOTH coaches. And you DID have another option. So stop this crap.

29x281
11-23-2003, 08:56 PM
I'm certainly not going to argue that Sinton broke any rules. They failed to do the common sense thing, however, in an effort to fenegle an advantage.

Several have posted that gaining an advantage is what it's all about. I don't believe that. I thought it was about seeing who has the better football team.

PPHSfan
11-23-2003, 09:01 PM
First off, the word is finagle, and it means to "trick someone, by cheating". Is that what you are accusing Sinton of? If not, could you please use a friggin dictionary every once in a while?

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

sinton66
11-23-2003, 09:02 PM
29x281, YOU, sir, are the one making accusations of us trying to gain some unfair advantage. You have not seen me agree with any of the other posters on that subject, and you will not. Our coaches are honorable people, and I frankly resent the hell out of your implications that yours are somehow more fair or considerate than ours. I just proved we tried negotiations and they failed, hence the flip. We gambled and won, plain and simple. You had an equal chance but lost. Get over it..

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 09:03 PM
sinton66:
Ok dude, get out a damned map and point out some other 5A venues east of San Antonio and south of I10,approximateky half way between us. Apparently, we didn't want to play on turf or in the city of San Antonio, plain and simple. That's why it's called a negotiation. Does that qualify us as classless and unsportsmanlike? It was up to BOTH coaches. And you DID have another option. So stop this crap.Sinton will be lucky to bring 3,000 fans to this game. Why not Saturday? Your the one getting personal. You stop this crap.

PPHSfan
11-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Paintball, I really think that you are under some strange misconception that Sintons fans really think that they need to watch UT whip aTm 64-6 this Friday. I think that pretty much all of Sinton's fanbase will be watching the Pirates play, and if they do have some interest is watching the Aggies get mutilated, they can use their VCR's or TIVO. Maybe it is just You, that thinks the college game comes into play here.

29x281
11-23-2003, 09:10 PM
What other option? Seguin? It's turf in Seguin, too. And we (both Burnet and Sinton) wouldn't have enough seats for either team.

What is wrong with San Antonio? What does Seguin offer that San Antonio doesn't?

There's no need to use profanity towards me. I certainly disagree with what's gone on, but I don't harbor personal animosity toward anyone. It's not the end of the world. Some of us will make it down there for the game. Alot of us won't. But at the same time, it was a bad decision, and the reasoning behind it should be ridiculed.

sinton66
11-23-2003, 09:13 PM
I'm getting personal? Did I suggest the Sinton Superintendant was Stupid and needed to go back to school? Was it me that suggested Sinton had no class and was demonstrating unsportsmanlike behavior? I'm pretty sure that wasn't me.

You know guys, bashing schools, coaches, and administrations on here is one of the things you can get rommed for pretty easily. My advice is to either make plans to attend the game or stay home in protest. I really don't care which you choose. Either way, the seats will be filled.

29x281
11-23-2003, 09:18 PM
If we're going to start correcting spelling and usage around here then it'll get messy real quick.

If you'd have cared to read the entire entry for "finagle" rather than just the one that fit your purpose, you'd have noticed the word can also mean "to obtain by indirect means," which is the sense in which I intended it.

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: 29x281 ]</small>

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 09:31 PM
sinton66:
I'm getting personal? Did I suggest the Sinton Superintendant was Stupid and needed to go back to school? Was it me that suggested Sinton had no class and was demonstrating unsportsmanlike behavior? I'm pretty sure that wasn't me.

You know guys, bashing schools, coaches, and administrations on here is one of the things you can get rommed for pretty easily. My advice is to either make plans to attend the game or stay home in protest. I really don't care which you choose. Either way, the seats will be filled.We'll see about that. No use arguing whose right or wrong about that now. 5,000-6,000 fans is my prediction. What is yours?

bulldogmom2
11-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Wow.... Tensions are high...
I think the decision of the venue should be done by the UIL officials so this stupid C.... doesn't happen between schools.
As for the UT-AM game. If you want college ball then go watch college ball. But this is high school football. If your a devoted parent or fan then you'll either be listening on the radio, or driving to Corpus Christi. I just wish that I could get off work to go, but my families going. My brother in laws coming from Florida and wouldn't miss the game in corpus for anything. My nephews a drum-major. So to all burnet fans, I think you'll be surprised at how many will show up. Don't jump to conclusions.
Also, it's not like Sinton cheated on a coin toss. Grow up and quit saying stuff about sinton admin. for their decisions. Think straight. And who gives a Darned about marketing? This is HIGH SCHOOL, not pro or anything else. It makes me really mad when some people make other people look stupid like themselves...
TOO ALL SINTON FANS, SCHOOL ADMIN, AND FAMILES.... Burnet welcomes the opportunity to come to your community and play football. We wish both school the best of luck, and a injury free game. It's stupid stuff like this that causes resentment between schools....
Good luck Sinton, my prayers are with both schools.... wish i was going to be there, but my radio will be on.

sinton66
11-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Thank you bulldogmom2. We welcome your family to our area and hope they have a safe and enjoyable trip. I'm sorry you won't be able to make it. Good luck to all you folks too.

29east
11-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Fellow posters.... I have had some time to think over the past few hours regarding this post. I have come to the conclusion, while it is fun and maybe stress relieving to discuss and argue about where this football game is going to be played, there is nothing we can do about it....

The decision is made......

To my fellow BURNET faithful... Just rejoice in the fact that what ever stadium we travel to others will leave knowing why BURNET is the #1 team in 3A. Is it arrogance??? You better believe it!!!! I am proud to be from BURNET and now the people in Corpus will know who we are.

Drive safe!!!

PAINTBALL
11-23-2003, 11:03 PM
29east:
Fellow posters.... I have had some time to think over the past few hours regarding this post. I have come to the conclusion, while it is fun and maybe stress relieving to discuss and argue about where this football game is going to be played, there is nothing we can do about it....

The decision is made......

To my fellow BURNET faithful... Just rejoice in the fact that what ever stadium we travel to others will leave knowing why BURNET is the #1 team in 3A. Is it arrogance??? You better believe it!!!! I am proud to be from BURNET and now the people in Corpus will know who we are.

Drive safe!!!And we get to eat some great seafood in the bargin.

slpybear the bullfan
11-24-2003, 12:20 AM
Uhhh... did anyone else look at what other games were already booked at both SA and CC?

I just went and looked up the brackets and I would venture a guess that the Friday at 3pm game at CC probably had a lot to do with the fact that there wasn't many openings for games...

All the good slots for SA and CC were already taken...

And one other "marketing" point... EXTENDING THE PRODUCT LIFE CYCLE... If I use a little strategy in site selection that helps me to win a game, then I also get the benefits of the gate receipts the following week. Instead of none if I am sitting at home.

The object is to win the games... not to build a budget around the money you might bring in.

weatherag07
11-24-2003, 01:02 AM
Yep, it would've been nice if the game was at a more neutral site, but nothing can be done about it now. All we can do is make the trip if we can and hope Burnet wins (hehe)!
As for me, this game also cuts into my Thanksgiving plans...I will be in Dallas, and my parents and I don't really feel up to that kind of drive. And I don't know when exactly we're coming back, so I don't know if I'll be able to catch some of the A&M/UT game! Oh well...please yell for me at the game and keep us posted on the downlow! :D

Why don't they just make teams play at neutral sites? Oh well, I'm sure there's a bunch of UIL rules involved in that, so nevermind!

dawgdad
11-24-2003, 01:28 AM
It doesn't matter if Burnet Dawgs and their fans have to drive to Hell and back. We're going to the ship. And we aren't scared! Bulldog MOM

Aggiebabe05
11-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Being a Burnet Graduate and now a Junior Aggie, i was very sad to see that the game was in conflict with the Texas-A&M game. Even if I am unable to make it to any games during the year, I always try to go to the playoff games. I am able to see several of my old friends and at the same time watch a good game. When we won last week, I was excited the game would possibly be on Saturday because I would make a weekend of watching football. I know that my parents love going to the games, but because of them having tickets to the A&M game, they won't be attending the Burnet game. I do have to say though, this fighting over where it was, it quite stupid! Are we in 1st grade? No, most of us are adults. The game is on Friday, and we will just have to deal with it. Hopefully, I will be able to somehow call people and find out the score because I will be in the stands, supporting my Aggie team until we run out of time. Good luck to both of the teams, I hope the game has no injuries. But Burnet, I wish you all the best and I will be thinking of you on Friday when we are trying to BTHO Texas! WHOOP!