PDA

View Full Version : OMG! I just had a confrontation with a pitbull!!!

Sweetwater Red
05-26-2009, 12:21 AM
I stepped outside to smoke and a rather healthy pitbull ran up infront of me and started barking like hell!:eek:

I looked the pitbull right into his eyes and said "the next move
you make is going to decide how much longer your life is". As he
started to cowar I realized he was one of my neighbors 4 pitbulls.
I approached him and started asking "what are you doing boy?".
he answered by turning around and running like hell with his tail
wagging. I woke up my neighbors and that pitbull that chose life
over death is safely at home.:clap:

CHS_CG
05-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I stepped outside to smoke and a rather healthy pitbull ran up infront of me and started barking like hell!:eek:

I looked the pitbull right into his eyes and said "the next move
you make is going to decide how much longer you life is". As he
started to cowar I realized he was one of my nieghbors 4 pitbulls.
I approached him and started asking "what are you doing boy?".
he answered by turning around and running for hell with his tail
wagging. I woke up my neighbors and that pitbull that chose life
over death is safely at home.:clap:

:doh:

Sweetwater Red
05-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
:doh:

Btw way. I was standing in my boxers and only armed with a Marlboro and a Powerade. :D

CHS_CG
05-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Btw way. I was standing in my boxers and only armed with a Marlboro and a Powerade. :D

Sexy!

Sweetwater Red
05-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Sexy!

You should've seen the look I gave the pitbull. Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood,
and even Tim Tebow would've ran like the devil himself was
after them.

CHS_CG
05-26-2009, 12:44 AM
You should've seen the look I gave the pitbull. Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood,
and even Tim Tebow would've ran like the devil himself was
after them.

hahaha... you crack me up!

garciap77
05-26-2009, 08:22 AM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/15740-Short-Old-Man-With-White-Hair.jpg

;)

Sweetwater Red
05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/15740-Short-Old-Man-With-White-Hair.jpg

;)

Yeah. Just like that. But meaner and more intimidating.

injuredinmelee
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
I have a shotgun you can borrow.

scrub c
05-26-2009, 12:50 PM
... only armed with a Marlboro and a Powerade. :D

You could have been like MacGyver, and took him out with the cig and swig technique...

mustang04
05-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I have a shotgun you can borrow.

You, obviously, are more of a threat than that pit-bull....

CHS_CG
05-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by mustang04

agreed!

injuredinmelee
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
A pit bull enters my property he leaves in a trash bag. No stupid animals life is worth the safety of my kids.

injuredinmelee
05-26-2009, 07:44 PM

Wonder if James Harrison used the same old tired not all pit bulls are vicious argument you use? His dog is getting the needle per his wishes.

mustang04
05-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Wonder if James Harrison used the same old tired not all pit bulls are vicious argument you use? His dog is getting the needle per his wishes. so please explain why less than like only like .0000001% of all pitbulls in the country attack people if they are such an overall vicious breed? i bet the percentage is even less than that...i wish ppl were as dedicated to the fight againts drunk driving as they were to a handful of pitbull attacks a year

scrub c
05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
A pit bull enters my property he leaves in a trash bag. No stupid animals life is worth the safety of my kids.

Blah-Dow ! I bet James Harrison feels that way now... Im also betting he had the dogs for the "image" and not for the caring, loving, sensitive dog breed we all know they are... :rolleyes:

vet93
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
As a veterinarian I have to agree with Mustangs04. I spend a good part of my time dealing with pitbulls and the overwhelming majority are great dogs. I would say that they are better than average in regards to personality, friendliness and ability to get along with people. I have heard many stories through the years of pitbulls doing amazing things for their owners. However, I will never own one and when one approaches I move all of the kids behind me and away from the dog. The kicker for pitbulls is that when you find a bad one...they are real bad. The are not "fear biters" like most dogs. They have been bred to attack and not let go when they enter a conflict. They have devestating tools in regards to their ability to inflict wounds and some of these dogs, especially when they run in packs, will attack for sport not just to defend themselves or an owner. I am not anti-pitbull, but you have to be extremely careful around these animals, especially in certain environments. Just my .02 cents.

injuredinmelee
05-26-2009, 10:26 PM
from dogbites.com:

Dog bite deaths and maimings US and Canada (1982-2007)
By compiling US and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2007, Animal People News determined the types of breeds most responsible for death and serious injury.
The combination of pit bulls, rottweilers and wolf hybrids:

* 77% of attacks that induce bodily harm
* 73% of attacks to children
* 83% of attack to adults
* 70% of attacks that result in fatalities
* 77% that result in maiming

Interesting fact about pit bulls:

* Pit bulls attack adults nearly as often as they attack children, a characteristic not found in any other breed.

for the record if a rott comes onto my place he is probably getting lead posioning also.

Ranger Mom
05-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by vet93
As a veterinarian I have to agree with Mustangs04. I spend a good part of my time dealing with pitbulls and the overwhelming majority are great dogs. I would say that they are better than average in regards to personality, friendliness and ability to get along with people. I have heard many stories through the years of pitbulls doing amazing things for their owners. However, I will never own one and when one approaches I move all of the kids behind me and away from the dog. The kicker for pitbulls is that when you find a bad one...they are real bad. The are not "fear biters" like most dogs. They have been bred to attack and not let go when they enter a conflict. They have devestating tools in regards to their ability to inflict wounds and some of these dogs, especially when they run in packs, will attack for sport not just to defend themselves or an owner. I am not anti-pitbull, but you have to be extremely careful around these animals, especially in certain environments. Just my .02 cents.

Good post! I am a big fan of Ceaser Milan...and he firmly believe that a dog that attacks (any dog) has shown signs, the owner just wasn't educated in knowing the signs enough to catch it when it first happens. (If it wasn't raised that way to begin with!)

I personally wouldn't own a pit bull...because I know I don't have what it takes to train it and may not recognize warning signs.....but for those (like Mustang04) who have always had them, raised them, own the parents, I have no problems with them owning them and think anyone who always said, "the only pit bull is a dead pit bull" are probably pretty anal people to believe with....so that line of thinking doesn't surprise me one iota!!!

Wow....how's that for a run-on sentence.

On a side note...I had an adjuster from my insurance come out and look at a water leak we had. This week I got a letter from them saying we needed to adjust our policy because we have a pitbull in our back yard.
We don't, so I called them. The adjuster told them we had a black pitbull, a blonde dog and a black and white dog in the back yard. The "black pit" in question is actually half boxer/half sharpei.....IDIOT!!! :rolleyes:

scrub c
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM

for the record if a rott comes onto my place he is probably getting lead posioning also.

Rotts are crazy too. I have owned 2 rotts, at different times. 1 really was a good dog and died of old age, the other died of... well lets just say he bit at one too many times and died. Luckily he never hurt or maimed anyone before I wised up.

Ranger Mom
05-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I had a dog that was half german shepherd/half wolf....one of the best dogs I have ever had. She was so submissive I almost felt sorry for her at times.

She didn't love kids, they scared her, but I trusted her 100%...I tried to keep little ones away from her for HER sake, not theirs.

rockdale80
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
from dogbites.com:

Dog bite deaths and maimings US and Canada (1982-2007)
By compiling US and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2007, Animal People News determined the types of breeds most responsible for death and serious injury.
The combination of pit bulls, rottweilers and wolf hybrids:

* 77% of attacks that induce bodily harm
* 73% of attacks to children
* 83% of attack to adults
* 70% of attacks that result in fatalities
* 77% that result in maiming

Interesting fact about pit bulls:

* Pit bulls attack adults nearly as often as they attack children, a characteristic not found in any other breed.

Also, more children die each year from faulty cribs and more people are struck by lightening than fatally wounded by ALL dog attacks. If you are scared of being around a dog then you are really a risk taker if you lay your child in a baby crib....

Contrarily, more children are seriously wounded or killed by their OWN PARENTS than by dog attacks.

Now quick, go hide under your bed!!!

CHS_CG
05-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Also, more children die each year from faulty cribs and more people are struck by lightening than fatally wounded by ALL dog attacks. If you are scared of being around a dog then you are really a risk taker if you lay your child in a baby crib....

Contrarily, more children are seriously wounded or killed by their OWN PARENTS than by dog attacks.

Now quick, go hide under your bed!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

garciap77
05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah. Just like that. But meaner and more intimidating.

Here we go!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/rba1_22.jpg

:D

;)

Sweetwater Red
05-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Here we go!

:D

;)

Just for that..if I'm ever running around in my boxers at midnight over in Wylie and I see you cornered by one of those man eating, frothing at the mouth, hell dogs....I'm not going to scare him off for you!!!!!!:mad:

garciap77
05-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Just for that..if I'm ever running around in my boxers at midnight over in Wylie and I see you cornered by one of those man eating, frothing at the mouth, hell dogs....I'm not going to scare him off for you!!!!!!:mad:

With Nobogey?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs067.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)RED!!!!

Sweetwater Red
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
With Nobogey?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs067.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)RED!!!!

No his wife. I have a thing for biker chicks and milk duds. But don't tell nobogey.

garciap77
05-27-2009, 12:25 PM
No his wife. I have a thing for biker chicks and milk duds. But don't tell nobogey.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Macarthur
05-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by vet93
As a veterinarian I have to agree with Mustangs04. I spend a good part of my time dealing with pitbulls and the overwhelming majority are great dogs. I would say that they are better than average in regards to personality, friendliness and ability to get along with people. I have heard many stories through the years of pitbulls doing amazing things for their owners.

However, I will never own one and when one approaches I move all of the kids behind me and away from the dog. The kicker for pitbulls is that when you find a bad one...they are real bad. The are not "fear biters" like most dogs. They have been bred to attack and not let go when they enter a conflict. They have devestating tools in regards to their ability to inflict wounds and some of these dogs, especially when they run in packs, will attack for sport not just to defend themselves or an owner. I am not anti-pitbull, but you have to be extremely careful around these animals, especially in certain environments. Just my .02 cents.

With all due respect, doc, your post is somewhat contradictory.

Macarthur
05-27-2009, 01:13 PM

We've been all over this before. Your analogies do not compare.

Are you aware of the term 'straw-man'?

Silly. So that's your defense?

rockdale80
05-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

How is it a straw man argument? Because it doesnt pander to your agenda? You are correct, we have been down this road before. The facts have presented and you still judge based on opinion. People slam a dog breed that kills less people faulty baby cribs, yet there is an outcry and public demand to ban them. Does that not seem strange to you? Where is the media when a baby suffocates in its own mattress? Guess that doesnt appeal to Nancy Grace...

You have the right to kill any animal that runs up on your property, and my dogs have every right to tear you a new one if you step foot on mine. :)

Ranger Mom
05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
How is it a straw man argument? Because it doesnt pander to your agenda? You are correct, we have been down this road before. The facts have presented and you still judge based on opinion. People slam a dog breed that kills less people faulty baby cribs, yet there is an outcry and public demand to ban them. Does that not seem strange to you? Where is the media when a baby suffocates in its own mattress? Guess that doesnt appeal to Nancy Grace...

You have the right to kill any animal that runs up on your property, and my dogs have every right to tear you a new one if you step foot on mine. :)

Actually....In all the time I have been watching Nancy Grace....I don't think I have ever heard her report about a dog attack!! It's normally about crazy parents who kill their kids!!

If someone comes into my house and I feel threatened....my 20 lb Yorkie mix would attack....he is extremely protective.

To want to ban a breed because of a few bad apples is ludicrous!!

As I said RD80, people that think that are probably anal in all other aspects of their life anyway and not even worth your time!!

vet93
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Sorry for the confusiion...I was trying to make the distinction between the majority of pitbulls that are great from those that are dangerous. You can't really tell by looking which one you are dealing with in many instances...I have seen many pitbulls come up to me wagging their tail and immediately posture into attack/defense mode. I do not fear pitbulls at all, I love most of them, but I treat them with caution and respect until I have ascertained what kind of dog they are. If an unknown pitbull approaches I recommend that you always use caution with you and your family.

With all due respect, doc, your post is somewhat contradictory.

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Comparing Pit Bulls to to baby cribs?? Amazing thought process. I guess that means I can shoot any crib that runs up on my property and your crib can tear me a new one if I step on yours.

pirate4state
05-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
Comparing Pit Bulls to to baby cribs?? Amazing thought process. I guess that means I can shoot any crib that runs up on my property and your crib can tear me a new one if I step on yours. Well hell yes, if a crib is moving on its own it is probably possessed and deserves to be put down!

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Well hell yes, if a crib is moving on its own it is probably possessed and deserves to be put down!

Good point! I will carry holy water as a defense.

pirate4state
05-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Good point! I will carry holy water as a defense. You mean you don't already? :eek: Very risky!

rockdale80
05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Comparing Pit Bulls to to baby cribs?? Amazing thought process. I guess that means I can shoot any crib that runs up on my property and your crib can tear me a new one if I step on yours.

How is it different? The results are comparable. My point is why is there such a fear and outcry for a dog breed that might potentially cause harm and you dont hear people calling for guidelines on baby cribs? One seems to be more dangerous than the other. Contrarily, the parent argument is somewhat the same because the contributing factor has the ability to decide its actions much like any other animal. Some choose to love their children, and some choose to do ungodly things to them.

garciap77
05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Bullaholic
05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
How is it different? The results are comparable. My point is why is there such a fear and outcry for a dog breed that might potentially cause harm and you dont hear people calling for guidelines on baby cribs? One seems to be more dangerous than the other. Contrarily, the parent argument is somewhat the same because the contributing factor has the ability to decide its actions much like any other animal. Some choose to love their children, and some choose to do ungodly things to them.

R80---Do you believe that there are some people who should not be allowed to own pit bulls?

pirate4state
05-27-2009, 04:28 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-pictures-oh-grate-kitten.jpg

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Inanimate vs animate. One has the propensity to attack the other...well its just a crib. With regard to guidelines for cribs, they do exist.

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 06:22 PM
First pit bulls...
next thing you know smoking is gonna be outlawed in public!:eek:

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
First pit bulls...
next thing you know smoking is gonna be outlawed in public!:eek:

Cribs first!

mustang04
05-27-2009, 07:00 PM

my defense is that more people are killed by alcohol related incidents in one month than by pitbulls over multiple years, yet alot of the same ppl who gripe wanting to ban "this killer breed" are ppl who probably drink

I dont give a rats ass if someone dislikes the breed...what offends me are the people who say the only good one is a dead one...its totally disrespectful to ppl like me who have had the privelage of owning a caring and loving pitbull our entire life and when they died it was like losing a part of the family...if you have never owned one, you can't even comprehend how much more personality they have than other breeds of dogs

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 07:31 PM
my defense is that more people are killed by alcohol related incidents in one month than by pitbulls over multiple years, yet alot of the same ppl who gripe wanting to ban "this killer breed" are ppl who probably drink

I dont give a rats ass if someone dislikes the breed...what offends me are the people who say the only good one is a dead one...its totally disrespectful to ppl like me who have had the privelage of owning a caring and loving pitbull our entire life and when they died it was like losing a part of the family...if you have never owned one, you can't even comprehend how much more personality they have than other breeds of dogs

"my defense"?? What...are you a pit bull?? So you criticize those who have "never owned one" yet, you can make comments like "how much more personality they have than other breeds". Very interesting. I can only assume that you have owned every other breed otherwise, your comment is utterly ridiculous.

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 07:40 PM
The vast majority of pit bulls are very very good dogs. It's owners who abuse, mistreat and purposefully train these wonderful animals in ill ways or to fight who should and always be prosecuted first...
not the animal itself, unless the animal is deemed a threat to everyone. That still should still be blamed on the owner.
mustang04 has every right to his opinion and I understand his point of view.
Next thing you know all guns will be outlawed because of the potential for harm.

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 07:49 PM
The vast majority of pit bulls are very very good dogs. It's owners who abuse, mistreat and purposefully train these wonderful animals in ill ways or to fight who should and always be prosecuted first...
not the animal itself, unless the animal is deemed a threat to everyone. That still should still be blamed on the owner.
mustang04 has every right to his opinion and I understand his point of view.
Next thing you know all guns will be outlawed because of the potential for harm.

Cribs now guns!! These comparisons are getting silly. I am only pointing out the fallacies in the arguments. Not saying I agree or disagree. Let's get real in the analogies or you lack credibility.

mustang04
05-27-2009, 08:11 PM
"my defense"?? What...are you a pit bull?? So you criticize those who have "never owned one" yet, you can make comments like "how much more personality they have than other breeds". Very interesting. I can only assume that you have owned every other breed otherwise, your comment is utterly ridiculous.

you are an idiot.....you know it his physically possible to own more than one breed dog at a time:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mustang04
05-27-2009, 08:14 PM
oh and by the way bleed orange...we've owned a border collie, a couple of blue heelers, a boxer, a couple of mutts, and a chocolate lab......

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
you are an idiot.....you know it his physically possible to own more than one breed dog at a time:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do I need to dumb it down for you. Read your post and my reply dufus. You really are a simpleton.

sinton66
05-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Stop with the name calling immediately. If you can't have a reasonable discussion, stay out of the thread.

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
My apologies. Just responding in kind which was inappropriate.

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 08:23 PM
oh and by the way bleed orange...we've owned a border collie, a couple of blue heelers, a boxer, a couple of mutts, and a chocolate lab......

My point is you would have had to own every other breed to support your statement not just some of them. Do you understand now?

sinton66
05-27-2009, 08:25 PM
My apologies. Just responding in kind which was inappropriate.

Sorry, that was meant for both of you.

mustang04
05-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Do I need to dumb it down for you. Read your post and my reply dufus. You really are a simpleton.

I was sensing sarcasm in your post...I have owned several breeds of dogs so yeah I think I have more credibility to compare a pit's personality compared to several other breeds'

mustang04
05-27-2009, 08:31 PM
My point is you would have had to own every other breed to support your statement not just some of them. Do you understand now?

or you can read several dog breeding books that all say the same thing which is Pit's show more personality than most other breeds of dogs

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 08:37 PM
or you can read several dog breeding books that all say the same thing which is Pit's show more personality than most other breeds of dogs

Most likely written by pit owners and I am certain they have not owned every breed either. Just admit your argument is specious at best.

mustang04
05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Most likely written by pit owners and I am certain they have not owned every breed either. Just admit your argument is specious at best.

a single person on earth hasnt' owned every breed...and I am not the one bashing the breed...I am defending them, and I have owned them....it's the ppl who have never owned one but are sooooo so certain that they are all born killers are the one's with no credibility in their argument. just admit your a tool at best

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Cribs now guns!! These comparisons are getting silly. I am only pointing out the fallacies in the arguments. Not saying I agree or disagree. Let's get real in the analogies or you lack credibility.
lol
Who said I have "credibility"?:p
It was an analogy... not a comparison.:D
My point was this(with two analogies used, you don't need to agree with me)...
more and more folks want to ban anything that has the potential to harm. I myself think that THAT road will lead us to something less than the freedoms we enjoy today.
You can disagree with me but I do see Reg's point of view.
BTW, I have had more than 20,000 encounters with all types of dogs. My job allows me to go to peoples' houses on a daily basis.:)

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 09:05 PM
a single person on earth hasnt' owned every breed...and I am not the one bashing the breed...I am defending them, and I have owned them....it's the ppl who have never owned one but are sooooo so certain that they are all born killers are the one's with no credibility in their argument. just admit your a tool at best

Because you cannot reasonably support your inane argument I become a "tool". Try a little intellectual honesty and you may learn something.

mustang04
05-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Because you cannot reasonably support your inane argument I become a "tool". Try a little intellectual honesty and you may learn something.

How can I not support it??? I said they have more personality than other breeds...I have owned other breeds...I never once said ALL breeds...this is 3a downlow, not a politically correct debate, why are you even posting on this thread....seriously?

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
lol
Who said I have "credibility"?:p
It was an analogy... not a comparison.:D
My point was this(with two analogies used, you don't need to agree with me)...
more and more folks want to ban anything that has the potential to harm. I myself think that THAT road will lead us to something less than the freedoms we enjoy today.
You can disagree with me but I do see Reg's point of view.
BTW, I have had more than 20,000 encounters with all types of dogs. My job allows me to go to peoples' houses on a daily basis.:)

I never said I disagreed with anyone. I am just making some observations. I have no desire to ban anything but discretion should be utilized especially when considering your choice of pet when children could ultimately be the victim. Just my opinion.

ronwx5x
05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
SWR, look what you caused!!!

:tisk:

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 09:19 PM
How can I not support it??? I said they have more personality than other breeds...I have owned other breeds...I never once said ALL breeds...this is 3a downlow, not a politically correct debate, why are you even posting on this thread....seriously?

Why am I posting???? Because of ridiculous comments like yours that need a response. I realize you are getting frustrated but you will get over it. I also did not realize political correctness was involved. I was just correcting you as needed.......seriously!!

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
SWR, look what you caused!!!

:tisk:

I would like to thank SWR as I have been really bored. Its all just sport.

ronwx5x
05-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I would like to thank SWR as I have been really bored. Its all just sport.

You are too much like me! I also like to argue with posters who are passionate.:)

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ronwx5x
You are too much like me! I also like to argue with posters who are passionate.:) [/QUOTE
Sometimes the passion leads to irrational thought. I guess thats what makes it fun.

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 09:35 PM
I never said I disagreed with anyone. I am just making some observations. I have no desire to ban anything but discretion should be utilized especially when considering your choice of pet when children could ultimately be the victim. Just my opinion.
BO(lol I'm not trying to get under your skin but I have a habit of condensing names), it just looked like you didn't like my analogy on your post so I responded in kind, further reinforcing my argument.
There has been lots of talk before about banning a whole breed and "the only good pits are dead pits" or something of that nature. I try to point out how that train of thought can lead to more disastrous results among those who espouse them.
I also happen to enjoy my encounters with pit bulls and see how wonderful a breed they mostly are. That is why I do agree with Reggie and his point of view. You see, he raises those dogs "right" and can enjoy the fruits of responsible dog ownership. It must be very frustrating to him to have such a large segment of the population constantly threaten his ability to own something he dearly loves. I don't blame him for frustration as I have seen him try to reason with good folks who have already made up their mind on the subject many times...

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 09:48 PM
BO(lol I'm not trying to get under your skin but I have a habit of condensing names), it just looked like you didn't like my analogy on your post so I responded in kind, further reinforcing my argument.
There has been lots of talk before about banning a whole breed and "the only good pits are dead pits" or something of that nature. I try to point out how that train of thought can lead to more disastrous results among those who espouse them.
I also happen to enjoy my encounters with pit bulls and see how wonderful a breed they mostly are. That is why I do agree with Reggie and his point of view. You see, he raises those dogs "right" and can enjoy the fruits of responsible dog ownership. It must be very frustrating to him to have such a large segment of the population constantly threaten his ability to own something he dearly loves. I don't blame him for frustration as I have seen him try to reason with good folks who have already made up their mind on the subject many times...

Definitely not under my skin. The analogy was just not a good one. I would appreciate his opinion more if he expressed some coherent thought and left out the irrational attacks. I will admit I did react earlier when I should not have. Personally, I would be very wary of pit bulls as they do have a history of unpredictable behavior even if raised properly. Not saying they should be banned but anyone who owns one should know the risk is higher with a pit bull than other breeds. That is fact and I do know that from personal experience.

CHS_CG
05-27-2009, 09:52 PM
There are a lot of dog breeds who are considered "aggressive" but it is all in how you raise the dogs and the most important part of owning a pit bull is knowing the "family tree".

As far as the comparison of cribs and guns may not be the complete same but its a good point... there are more kids harmed by guns, cribs and their own parents than any dog attack.. like it or not its the truth.

IMO this is a topic that yall need to agree to disagree and just leave it at that.

Ranger Mom
05-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Definitely not under my skin. The analogy was just not a good one. I would appreciate his opinion more if he expressed some coherent thought and left out the irrational attacks. I will admit I did react earlier when I should not have. Personally, I would be very wary of pit bulls as they do have a history of unpredictable behavior even if raised properly. Not saying they should be banned but anyone who owns one should know the risk is higher with a pit bull than other breeds. That is fact and I do know that rom personal experience.

Maybe if over the past 6 or 7 year he hadn't been attacked irrationally...he may have a calmer response. This is something he has felt the need to defend over and over and over again.

You sir, aren't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes...you are stirring the pot for the pure sake of stirring the pot.

Reggie's (mustang04) is a fight for the breed...yours is to just start crap!

I know several people who own or have owned pitbulls...including family members. I don't know ANYONE that has ever been attacked or had their pit attack anyone. Which shows me the vast majority of pits don't attack.

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Ok, I understand. My analogies were used to point out how this train of thought can lead us to banning everything that has "potential harm". Going down that road will lead to less and less freedoms. That was my point and has been my point on more than one occasion.
Another analogy:
I have been run over by a bull more than once in my life. I knew someone who died from a bull basically mauling them after the bull escaped from the pen. The analogy isn't perfect but few are. I don't have a great talent for them but I offer what I may and understand you might not draw the same conclusions I do. I have rarely seen a perfect analogy. But like-minded people draw similar conclusions and those who aren't don't. I can respect that.
I do think I have a better perspective than most others when it comes to pit bulls and have said so.
lol
I'm not arguing just to argue...
I'm just trying to pi$$ off SR.:D
j/k SR:p

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 10:05 PM
There are a lot of dog breeds who are considered "aggressive" but it is all in how you raise the dogs and the most important part of owning a pit bull is knowing the "family tree".

As far as the comparison of cribs and guns may not be the complete same but its a good point... there are more kids harmed by guns, cribs and their own parents than any dog attack.. like it or not its the truth.

IMO this is a topic that yall need to agree to disagree and just leave it at that.

IMO they are not relevant analogies. If you want to make that leap you can use cars,airplanes, bicycles, or any other thing that has injured or killed a human being. Pit Bulls differ in their unpredictability and the ability to exhibit agressive behavior without human involvement (unlike a gun).

Ranger Mom
05-27-2009, 10:08 PM
IMO they are not relevant analogies. If you want to make that leap you can use cars,airplanes, bicycles, or any other thing that has injured or killed a human being. Pit Bulls differ in their unpredictability and the ability to exhibit ssive behavior without human involvement (unlike a gun).

Thank God we can all have differing opinions and one person's opinion isn't any more "correct" than the next person's!!

CHS_CG
05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Pit Bulls differ in their unpredictability

Unpredictable.. so you know when you are going to get in a car accident... or you know when you are going to be hit by a car??? If so please share that talent with us because we would all love to know if today will be the day we get in a car accident and die...

Sweetwater Red
05-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Will someone please close this thread and if I ever start another one about pitbulls I'll ROM myself!

And for you SF...the Rangers suck!!!:D

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Maybe if over the past 6 or 7 year he hadn't been attacked irrationally...he may have a calmer response. This is something he has felt the need to defend over and over and over again.

You sir, aren't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes...you are stirring the pot for the pure sake of stirring the pot.

Reggie's (mustang04) is a fight for the breed...yours is to just start crap!

I know several people who own or have owned pitbulls...including family members. I don't know ANYONE that has ever been attacked or had their pit attack anyone. Which shows me the vast majority of pits don't attack.

If stirring the pot is pointing out weaknesses in an argument I am guilty. Isn't stirring the pot part of the fun on here. As far I am concerned he can have a thousand pit bulls but the fact is the risk is greater with the breed. I wish no ill will on most of the breed and have been around pit bulls that were great dogs and others I would not trust even though they were raised in a good environment. Just for the record I am not trying to start crap I am simply trying to stimulate some coherent thought. He can defend the breed all he wants and I am entitled point out flaws in his arguments. So if that offends you I am truly sorry.

SintonFan
05-27-2009, 10:15 PM

And for you SF...the Rangers suck!!!:D
Oh thank sweet Mary Mother of Jesus SweetwaterRed doesn't know I don't care about Midland Greenwood.
:bigcry: :taunt: :p

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Ok, I understand. My analogies were used to point out how this train of thought can lead us to banning everything that has "potential harm". Going down that road will lead to less and less freedoms. That was my point and has been my point on more than one occasion.
Another analogy:
I have been run over by a bull more than once in my life. I knew someone who died from a bull basically mauling them after the bull escaped from the pen. The analogy isn't perfect but few are. I don't have a great talent for them but I offer what I may and understand you might not draw the same conclusions I do. I have rarely seen a perfect analogy. But like-minded people draw similar conclusions and those who aren't don't. I can respect that.
I do think I have a better perspective than most others when it comes to pit bulls and have said so.
lol
I'm not arguing just to argue...
I'm just trying to pi$$ off SR.:D
j/k SR:p

I am completely with you on the freedoms I would never suggest anyone's right to own a specific breed of dog be taken away. As RM pointed out I guess I am just stirring the pot.

sinton66
05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh thank sweet Mary Mother of Jesus SweetwaterRed doesn't know I don't care about Midland Greenwood.
:bigcry: :taunt: :p

Now you did it. RM will close this thread quickly.:D

BleedOrange
05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Unpredictable.. so you know when you are going to get in a car accident... or you know when you are going to be hit by a car??? If so please share that talent with us because we would all love to know if today will be the day we get in a car accident and die...

HUH??? Wow!!!