PDA

View Full Version : Yoe High-$1 MILLION IN SCHOLARSHIPS

YoePride05
05-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Just some 3A news that I wanted to share. I'm very excited for my alma mater...sounds like the students really raked it in this year.

Sorry if someone has already posted this...

$1 MILLION IN SCHOLARSHIPS

By BILL CRIST

“Cameron has always supported Yoe High School and its students to make this possible.”

That’s how Yoe Principal Tommy Hooker summed up Sunday night’s award ceremony, where more than $1 million in scholarships were awarded to the class of 2009.

According to Hooker, students from the class will attend 40 different colleges, universities and technical schools. He listed the various UIL competitions at which Yoe High School had excelled this year, including; golf, tennis, track and cross country, Div. I honors for the band and the One-Act Play reaching state-alternate status.

At the ceremony Jonathan McAtee was recognized as Valedictorian and Carly Humphrey as Salutatorian.

McAtee says that he will be attending Southwestern University in Georgetown.

“I plan on majoring in International Studies with a Political Science concentration and European focus, and I am interested in attending law school after I receive my undergraduate degree.”

Humphrey says she will “attend Texas A&M in College Station where I will pursue a degree in Nutritional Sciences. I plan to attend medical school after receiving my undergraduate degree where I will study to become a pediatrician.”

Mr. and Miss Yoe High School were named. Mr. Yoe High School is Philip Nickerson and Miss Yoe High School is Shelby Leonard.

A complete listing of scholarships earned and additional photos are on page 16 of today’s Herald.

THE PRE-CEREMONY RECEPTION WAS SPONSORED BY THE J.L. AND BONNELLE CALLAWAY AND THE BEATRICE AND LESTER WILLIAMS FOUNDATIONS.

Email this story Print this story

Copyright © 2009 The Cameron Herald. All rights reserved.

Old Dog
05-25-2009, 10:23 AM
1 Million dollars; that is amazing! I thought Burnet did great with it's scholarship foundation handing our $300,000, but my hat is really off to Cameron.........that is definetely community involvement.

Dogman_1969
05-25-2009, 12:16 PM
The Yoeman has some wonderful supporters. That's wonderful for the kids of Cameron.

Here in Rockdale we had over $800,000 in scholarships. I thought that was wonderful especially with the loss of ALCOA and several other support companies.

tigerfan09
05-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Cameron has always treated its graduates well...when I graduated from there back in 1998, I received numerous scholarships from various Cameron organizations. Cameron is good people...

pirate4state
05-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Sinton had, at last report, over $1.2 million in scholarships awarded! :eek: :clap:

Rabid Cougar
05-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Doesn't hurt to have Drayton McLane as a graduate and benefactor. Several other "old money" families whose foundations that give great support for the school.

Emerson1
05-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Forney had $4.8 million