PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Vernon but.......

bubba_chuck_34
12-07-2003, 04:47 PM
That was a heck of a game. Vernon kept Kennedales duo (Harper & Brooks) from running all over them. But Kennedale was the better team that night but just didn't show on the scoreboard. Mistakes cost Kennedale the game. Muffed punt = Vernon game tieing TD Kennedale fumble on Vernons 20 = Vernon go ahead TD. Kenedales stupid @## coaches going for two when all they had to do is kick to extra point after they tied the game. That is probably the stupidest coaching mistake i have ever seen. they didn't kick a PAT all night WHY? Does anyone know or was it just the coach being stupid. I am not taking anything away form Vernon they hung in there played well. Congrats Vernon. Good luck against Atlanta. Where is this game going to be held. I asked the Atlanta scouts where this game could be played and they said back at Birdville Hopefully it will be at 7:30 and the Burnet G'ville game is hopefull one or 4 oclock at TX Stadium that will be a great day of football.

mjbf
12-07-2003, 06:10 PM
bubba_chump_34 - You are a perfect example of the typical idiot in the stands. You do not know Kennedale's team or you would have known the absence of a kicker all year long. Since you registered being from Graham it makes me wonder if you bash the successful progarm there, also. But, you probably won the Pee Wee Super Bowl championship in Young County, so I am sure you are very qualified to assess a team you know nothing about.

wildstangs
12-07-2003, 06:13 PM
You would think that people would finally admit that Vernon is a good team.

mjbf
12-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Vernon is very, very GOOD!!!

wildstangs
12-07-2003, 06:37 PM
mjbf:
Vernon is very, very GOOD!!!I know, I have seen them play baseball...errr...football. Some people on here still dont believe they are that good though.

bubba_chuck_34
12-07-2003, 06:50 PM
I was form Graham but i don't reside their anymore. Im from NRH I never said Vernon had a bad team you got to be good if you make it this far. I just said Kennedale beat themselves with mistakes. As i recall they kicked PAT agianst Merkel i don't think he missed one.

mjbf
12-07-2003, 07:00 PM
bubba_chump_34 - You are proving you do not know what you are talking about! If my memory serves me correctly Kennedale's kicker missed the first attempted XP and then they went for 2 the other 3 times they scored against Merkel. Correct me if I am wrong.

bubba_chuck_34
12-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah maybe he did but still yall only made one two point conversion against Vernon. If yall were gonna go for two then why didn't yall just line up in a formation instead of the swinging gate? I guess it is just my opinion that kikcing the PAT even with the 2nd kicker in would be the smartest thing to do. It was a great game to watch. I hope i iwll be able to go the Atlanta Vernon game. I never said that Vernon sucked they don have a star they play good hard nosed football.

Brahma73
12-07-2003, 10:22 PM
bubba_chuck_34:
That was a heck of a game. Vernon kept Kennedales duo (Harper & Brooks) from running all over them. But Kennedale was the better team that night but just didn't show on the scoreboard. Mistakes cost Kennedale the game. Muffed punt = Vernon game tieing TD Kennedale fumble on Vernons 20 = Vernon go ahead TD. Kenedales stupid @## coaches going for two when all they had to do is kick to extra point after they tied the game. That is probably the stupidest coaching mistake i have ever seen. they didn't kick a PAT all night WHY? Does anyone know or was it just the coach being stupid. I am not taking anything away form Vernon they hung in there played well. Congrats Vernon. Good luck against Atlanta. Where is this game going to be held. I asked the Atlanta scouts where this game could be played and they said back at Birdville Hopefully it will be at 7:30 and the Burnet G'ville game is hopefull one or 4 oclock at TX Stadium that will be a great day of football.Would the coach still be stupid if the team successfully executed the 2 point conversion and Kennedale had won?

lobo12
12-07-2003, 11:02 PM
any team that is still going in the playoffs is a good team

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Bubba:

Just some info on the game. Those two turnovers made a huge impact in that ball game. The first one on the muffed punt may have been because two Vernon defenders were bearing down on that punt returner. Great special teams play, which Vernon has been playing well all year. The second one our LB recognized the quick pitch and rushed in hard and tipped the pitch causing the fumble. That was good defense that caused that fumble. So I'm not sure what you mean by Congrats to Vernon but... One more thing as I have watched these last three teams play, Decatur, Sweetwater and Kennedale--all of them were great football teams. When you get this deep in the playoffs many times it is the team that makes the least mistakes that wins the game. Vernon fumbled twice and got them both back. Funny thing how a ball bounces. Vernon could have lost any one of these last three games as they were all close, but Vernon just found a way to win them. They made key plays in each game. We are talking semi finals now no buts here--give them their full due.

bubba_chuck_34:
That was a heck of a game. Vernon kept Kennedales duo (Harper & Brooks) from running all over them. But Kennedale was the better team that night but just didn't show on the scoreboard. Mistakes cost Kennedale the game. Muffed punt = Vernon game tieing TD Kennedale fumble on Vernons 20 = Vernon go ahead TD. Kenedales stupid @## coaches going for two when all they had to do is kick to extra point after they tied the game. That is probably the stupidest coaching mistake i have ever seen. they didn't kick a PAT all night WHY? Does anyone know or was it just the coach being stupid. I am not taking anything away form Vernon they hung in there played well. Congrats Vernon. Good luck against Atlanta. Where is this game going to be held. I asked the Atlanta scouts where this game could be played and they said back at Birdville Hopefully it will be at 7:30 and the Burnet G'ville game is hopefull one or 4 oclock at TX Stadium that will be a great day of football.

<small>[ December 07, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

Stu Pidass
12-08-2003, 08:49 AM
"Z" you are right on on your comments, Kennedale had a chance with 38 seconds left to win even with a 1 point conversion, BUT, we could not capitalize on mistakes that Vernon made. As luck would have it a tipped pass in overtime was the deciding factor.... This was an AWESOME game and you guys deserve alot of respect. You are not fancy but you have got the job done, thats what championships are made of... Now go hang one on Atlanta !!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanks Stu. I'm sure that you, like me, almost had a heart attack several times during that game.

It was my son that caught the tipped pass in overtime. So I was overjoyed.

Also, regarding your earlier post about being on the sideline with your son during the game--you couldn't have written that up any better.

pepboy
12-08-2003, 10:58 AM
I think Burnet vs Veron would be an awesome game. What do yall thing?

pepboy
12-08-2003, 10:59 AM
VERNON .. sorry for the spelling!

aggie20dude07
12-08-2003, 11:09 AM
It probably would be a good game, however Burnet is d1 and Vernon is d2..

CatsDen
12-09-2003, 07:27 AM
There should be no "but" at the end of the post title. Congratulations Vernon! I thought that Vernon played tough and smart through the whole game. To the previous poster blasting the coaches: Kennedale has had kicking problems all year so it was no suprise that they went for two on all conversions. They have also enjoyed much success with the swinging gate as a conversion formation. I think there were 3 keys to Vernon's win: 1-turnover differential 2-speed around the edges 3-solid tackling

BrainDamage
12-09-2003, 10:13 AM
since last year when we lost Marcus Phillips (our best kicker) we have had a big hole that could and has caused a negative 1 every time we score a TD we couldn't depend on our kickers so we have to gamble and go for 2 EVERY TIME. We have prolly only made like 5 FG's this year...

BrainDamage
12-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I've once heard a story about the football and why it was made the way it is. "The football was made the way it is because it bounces like life (unpredictible). It won't bounce in a straight path sometimes it will go crazy on you. Two low bounces then a very high one is the typical bounce if it is end over end." Sometimes you can perdict the bounce and other times well....you can't."

KKB
12-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Catsden, I think you left something out of your list. I was really impressed with the way the Vernon RB's finished their runs. Bubba, obviously you don't know the coaching staff @ KHS. They have a wealth of football knowledge. Between the head coach, DC, and only three of the position coaches they have, a low estimate, of at least 65 years of coaching experience. This doesn't include the younger coaches who are hungry and eat, sleep, and breathe football, some of whom have college playing experience. Besides, it takes more than talent to get 4 deep into the playoffs. If you ask the wildcat players, they'll tell you about the coaches. For example, last season during halftime of the Everman game, as the coaches went to the office to plan, the kids were telling the coaches "keep scheming, keep scheming". So, you shouldn't talk about things and people you don't know. I mean, really, calling yourself Bubba Chuck could lead to some preconceived notions but I would not voice them because I don't know you.

CatsDen
12-09-2003, 10:51 AM
KKB, without a doubt! The Vernon players finished every run strong. No one should try to take any credit away from the Vernon players. They played an outstanding game. Both teams layed it all out there. I am proud of the way Kennedale played the game and the entire season. The coaching staff at Kennedale deserve nothing less than praise for the job they have done! Congrats again to Vernon, and good luck!

repeat2002
12-09-2003, 12:59 PM
My biggest question: Why do you not develop a kicker thru the year when you know that is a problem? In 700 or more kids in a high school you can't find one kid that can kick an extra point? What if Kennedale gives T-Rex the ball 4 straight times, like they should have, in overtime and had scored. Do they go for two and not give themselves another chance at overtime? Sorry guys but we are either going to win or lose this game on this swinging gate play. I have a hard time with that.
As for the Vernon-Atlanta match-up - Atlanta better hang on to the ball and not make stupid mistakes, 'cause the Lions will take advantage of them. They have for the last four games and they are on a roll. They are easily the best prepared team I have seen this year and they can play any type of football you want to play. Congratulations Lions and go get the Rabbits.

CatsDen
12-09-2003, 01:10 PM
The game was not lost because of the Swinging Gate 2 point conversion attempt. Obviously a game is not determined by the results of one play, but by the collection of plays throughout the game. It bothers me when someone credits a win or loss to one play, or bad call. One play or bad call can shift the momentum of a game, but the game is decided inch by inch, on every down. If Kennedale had converted just 1 more 2 point conversion, if Kennedale had not turned the ball over, if the Defense had made one more stop, if the fade connected....my point is - there are a lot of key moments.

repeat2002
12-09-2003, 01:21 PM
I agree with your assessment that a game is not lost on one play. How do you not give enough attention to such an important aspect of the game as an extra point? Pull up a kid from the middle school - recruit one from a south Arlington HS JV Soccer team - you can find someone who can kick ONE extra point - in my opinion a coaching mistake.

BootLegNumber5
12-09-2003, 01:34 PM
i think it was a hard fought football game that came down to who made the least mistakes (coaching or otherwise.) its easy to blame someone or point a finger or say what should have been done after the game is over. good luck to vernon.

<small>[ December 09, 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: BootLegNumber5 ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-09-2003, 01:35 PM
From what I have understood, Kennedale has been very successful on the swinging gate this year. Vernon practiced for all kinds of formations out of it and it paid off for them. But If I was the Kennedale coach, and how they had been moving the ball, I would have took my chances in OT as well.

BTW, #15 was the best cover guy I have seen play on my boy this year. He used his hands a lot and seemed like he was always in good position. #1 had a heck of a night too. Hey this was one of those great games--two good teams battling it out--could have gone either way. The Cats have nothing to hang their heads about. I was thinking that there were several that would be playing football again next year just on Saturdays!

<small>[ December 09, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

BootLegNumber5
12-09-2003, 01:38 PM
i hope a lot of the kennedale boys go on to play college ball. i would hate for it to end.

mjbf
12-09-2003, 02:17 PM
repeat2002

You are showing your intelligence or lack of. You can't pull someone up from JH or recruit a player from South Arlington. Both are illega; activities.

SNUFFY
12-10-2003, 12:45 PM
I THINK THE COACHES FOR KENNEDALE SHOULD NOT BE BASHED FOR THERE PLAY CALLING I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THEM FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS AND THEY HAVE ALWAYS CAME UP WITH SOME GREAT CALLS TO GET THE TEAM OUT OF A BIG JAM. THE ONLY THING IS THE PLAYERS HAVE TO EXECUTE THEM PROPERLY FOR THEM TO WORK. I AM NOT BASHING THE PLAYERS BY NO MEANS, THEY HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB ALL YEAR LONG. IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN OUT OF ALL THREE OF THOSE YEARS, WE HAVE ONLY LOST BY A COMBINED TOTAL OF 11 POINTS, ONE IN THE BRIDGEPORT GAME, THREE IN THE BALLINGER GAME AND SEVEN IN THE VERNON GAME. TO SAY THAT THESE COACH'S DON'T DO A GOOD JOB OF PLAY CALLING OR HAVEN'T BEEN PREPARED IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULES. I HAVE COACHED FOR ABOUT 18 YEARS AND I KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE STANDING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE TOO, IT IS EASY TO SECOND GUESS YOUR SELF AFTER THE FACT, BUT IN THE HEAT OF THE BATTLE YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE BEST CALCULATED DECISION YOU CAN. KNOWING THAT THE WILDCATS HAVE HAD A PROBLEM ALL YEAR LONG WITH THERE KICKING GAME THAT WASN'T A BAD CALL. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PERCENTAGES WERE VERSES THE SWINGING GATE AND THE KICK, BUT I WOULD GUESS THAT ALL YEAR LONG IT WAS ABOUT 75 PERCENT TO ABOUT 25 PERCENT. THEY DID HAVE ALEX THAT IS A SENOR, THAT I THINK WOULD HAVE HAD THE BEST CHANCE OF KICKING THE EXTRA POINT, BUT LIKE I SAID THE PERCENTAGES JUST WASN'T THERE. OVER THE YEARS I HAVE MADE SOME CALLS THAT I WISHED I HAD BACK AND I HAD TO TAKE THE HEAT FOR THEM, BUT ON THE OTHER HAND MOST OF THE TIMES IT PAID OFF. THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS YOU SHOULD ALWAYS STAND BEHIND THE COACH'S, THEY ARE THE ONES OUT THERE WORKING WITH THE KIDS AND THEY SHOULD KNOW WHAT WORKS BEST IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. LOOKING BACK ON THE GAME I THINK I WOULD HAVE WENT FOR TWO ALSO, BUT I WOULD HAVE PUT IT IN THE HANDS OF REX EVEN IF EVERY ONE KNEW IT, BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION. I'M SURE IF THE COACHING STAFF HAD IT TO DO AGAIN THAT THEY WOULD HAVE ANOTHER IDEAL THAT "MIGHT" WORK. THERE ARE KNOW GUARANTY'S. WITH ALL OF THAT SAID I JUST WANTED TO SAY "GREAT JOB COACH'S AND PLAYER'S" THIS HAS BEEN AN EXITING YEAR AND I'M AM LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR. CONGRATULATIONS TO VERNON THEY WERE THE BEST TEAM THAT NIGHT, BUT WE WERE SO EVENLY MATCHED THAT IT COULD HAVE WENT ETHER WAY AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE US PLAY AGAIN.

repeat2002
12-10-2003, 01:49 PM
mjbf

are you sure? you mean i can't play jh players or recruit? you've got ot be kidding!!!
maybe they should have just gone ahead and hired a kicker.

SNUFFY
12-10-2003, 02:19 PM
SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING. I MENT "EXCITING YEAR" AND "ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS". I WILL CHECK NEXT TIME BEFORE I POST.