PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

lakers
05-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Clyde student athletes face the decision of a lifetime
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/may/22/when-worlds-collide/

CLYDE -- Once in a great while, every planet in the solar system aligns with the sun to form a straight line. It is a highly infrequent occurrence -- so infrequent it is often seen as an ominous sign.

Clyde High School seniors P.J. Martinez and Emily Yates can relate to this analogy. Both qualified for the state track meet in the 800 relay during Wednesday's Region I-2A meet in Odessa -- Martinez with the boys; Yates with the girls. Now, each is facing dilemma which few people envisioned.

Following the University Interscholastic League's rescheduling of the state meet due to the swine flu scare, the event now directly conflicts with multiple commencement ceremonies across the state. Commencement at Clyde is slated for 7 p.m. June 5 at the Abilene Civic Center -- roughly 30 minutes before two relay teams are scheduled to compete in Austin.

To make matters worse, Martinez recently was named valedictorian -- a title he pursued relentlessly. Yates was named the salutatorian, and five of Clyde's eight relay runners are set to graduate with honors.

It is precisely the type of conflict that the UIL works to avoid, and forces Martinez and Yates into a decision no administrator ever wants a student athlete to make. Two once-in-a-lifetime opportunities have collided on the same day, with both teenagers, their teammates, coaches and families all caught in the middle.

Martinez and Yates remain undecided and will take the weekend to think it over before coming to a decision when track practice resumes Monday.

"I've never seen a family so happy on one end, and so heartbroken on the other," Clyde principal Terry Phillips said. "In a way, it's a good problem to have because we're talking about achievement.

"But they've spent 12 years working on one of these goals."

In the case of Martinez, earning valedictorian was less a goal than it was a mission.

Heading to Baylor University, where he will major in child and family studies as a pre-med student, Martinez has wanted to deliver a speech at Clyde's graduation for as long as he can remember.

"Academics has always been what I was really aiming at," he said. "I'm going to be better-known for academics than athletics, because athletics will only get me to a certain point.

"But I know whatever decision I make, I'm going to regret it, no matter what. Twenty years from now, I'll have to tell my kids 'I didn't go to graduation or I didn't go to state,' and that scares me."

This would be the first trip to the state meet for Martinez, who along with Devin Boren, Will Graham and Karrson Strohl finished second at the Region I-2A meet. The Bulldogs' qualifying time of 1:29.89 ranks third among state qualifiers, meaning they have an excellent chance to win a medal in Austin.

"If we didn't have a chance, it would make my decision very easy," said Martinez, who says he doesn't feel pressured by his teammates to go to state. "But we have chance to get a medal, which is something I can never do again."

Yates, on the other hand, has competed twice at the state meet as a sophomore and as a junior, but never medaled.

However, the time of 1:44.99 which she, Jennifer Portlock, Amy Withrow and Torie Lewis produced in Odessa is the fastest 800 relay time of all state qualifiers. In other words, the Lady Bulldogs are gold-medal favorites -- making this the chance of a lifetime for Yates as well.

The UIL will conduct a graduation ceremony in Austin for those who are missing their commencements at home. But in Yates' view, this is no substitute for graduating with lifelong friends.

"This is the toughest decision, by far, that I've ever had to make," said Yates, who will attend TCU as a business major. "These are two really big things happening in my life at the same time.

"It's not every day that you graduate from high school and I've been looking forward to this forever. But then again, I've worked hard in track and we've worked hard as a team. We've got the best time going in, and (athletics) is a big deal in Clyde."

Both Yates and Martinez have been standouts in other sports. Martinez was a first-team guard in basketball, advanced to the regional tennis meet in mixed doubles with Santanna Astleford and played on Clyde's district championship football team. Yates was an all-Big Country guard in basketball.

Several ways to accommodate the teens have been discussed by faculty members, including videotaping their commencement speeches and playing them for their classmates during graduation. A live video feed from Austin to Clyde also is being discussed, depending on availability and the decisions made by each athlete.

One concession which cannot be made, however, is the rescheduling of the graduation ceremony. With more than 100 other students scheduled to graduate, many of whom have family and friends traveling to the event, a late scheduling change wasn't possible.

"Both of these kids have done things the right way, through hard work and studying," athletic director David Ritchey said. "You can ask any administrator at this school and they'd tell you if they had a daughter, they'd want them to be like Emily, or if they had a son they'd wish they were like P.J.

"I sat both of them down and gave them every fact I could possible give them. I told them whatever they choose, they'd have my support. To me this a 100-percent kid-mom-dad decision."

track coach Jarrett Vickers said, agreeing with Ritchey but admitting he is biased.

He is openly ecstatic that his relay teams have qualified for Austin, and is hoping to see both of them there, intact.

"Part of my job as head track coach is to try to persuade them to (go to state)," he said. "Of course, that's with the understanding that this is high school graduation and one of the biggest things in their lives.

"I can only persuade them so much, because it's their decision and their life. Whether I like their decision or not, I'll be supportive of it."

Perhaps surprising to some, the parents of both athletes are remaining neutral on the decision.

Martinez's, mother, Olga, who doubles as a Spanish teacher and long jump coach at Clyde, said she couldn't enjoy her son qualifying for state because of the conflict it immediately created.

"Everyone says that going to state is once-in-a-lifetime thing," she said. "But I've seen how hard my son has worked on academics -- staying up until 1 or 2 in the morning studying after football games and basketball games.

"He has worked his rear end off to be valedictorian and for him to be put in this position, just hurts me ... I ache for him."

Added Yates: "My dad asked me, '

well, Emily, do you want to walk or do you want to run?'" she said with a laugh. "Either way, my parents will support my decision and won't be upset with me."

And apparently, neither will the majority of the other relay competitors.

Portlock, who along with Withrow and Boren are honor students as well, has told Yates she will respect any decision. In fact, the girls team has gone a step further; they agreed to compete with Yates in the lineup or not at all.

"I told Emily that if she goes to graduation, then I'm going, too," Portlock said. "Because without her on the relay, it won't be the same. Our time won't be the same, and the experience won't be the same."

As of now, Martinez estimates his chances of going to state at around 50-50. Yates says she is leaning toward going to Austin, but isn't close to a final verdict.

"I don't want to look back and think 'I should have done this or that," Yates said. "I want to be confident in my decision and not regret anything."

Ranger Mom
05-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Poor kids...what a dilemma for them.

I chose the State Track meet! If they could get a live feed from Austin, that would even be better!!!

goosealaniz
05-23-2009, 06:03 PM
tough decision... i would try to video the graduation speech and play it at graduation... but this is a real tough decision

bigwood33
05-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Class A Collinsville has rescheduled graduation to accommodate their state qualifiers. It is a no brainer.

lakers
05-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
This may be a little much, but our school rescheduled graduation for a day earlier so our kids could compete at state meet. We have 3,000 kids, so I would imagine it would be much easier to do at a 2a school.

The problem is, is that they have the Civic Center in Abilene reserved for graduation and Primetime reserved for project grad after graduation and neither of them can be rescheduled.

Trashman
05-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Tough call; I voted for the track meet. You will graduate. Agin in four years. You will never have a shot at another state title. Besides what about the other members of the relay team, don't forget them.

goosealaniz
05-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Tough call; I voted for the track meet. You will graduate. Agin in four years. You will never have a shot at another state title. Besides what about the other members of the relay team, don't forget them.

i just want to point out that everybody that goes to college isnt guaranteed to graduate...

Ranger Mom
05-23-2009, 08:39 PM
My boss is from Ireland, she said it is so different in the U.S.

In Ireland, you are EXPECTED to graduate from High School. There is no "pomp & circumstance," no gifts, no graduation invitations....that is all done only if you graduate from college.

I wish I could miss my niece's graduation next Friday without hurting anyone's feelings....they are SO boring!!!:)

Snydertigersrul
05-23-2009, 08:39 PM
GO TO THE TRACK MEET

Trashman
05-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by goosealaniz
i just want to point out that everybody that goes to college isnt guaranteed to graduate...

There is no guarantee that the sun will come up tomorrow either, but I wouldnt bet against the valedictorian or salutatorian.:D

goosealaniz
05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
There is no guarantee that the sun will come up tomorrow either, but I wouldnt bet against the valedictorian or salutatorian.:D

one of my buddies dropped out after the first semester in college and he was the valedictorian at his high school... so its a real tough decision

EDIT: i forgot to mention he didnt drop out cuz of grades... he dropped out cuz he didnt have the money... some of his scholarships fell threw... not cuz of him but just cuz they didnt have the money to pay him

trojan37
05-23-2009, 09:51 PM
West was playing in the state softball title game in 1999, and graduation was on the same day. I believe we had 2 or 3 seniors on that team. Anyway, they elected to accept their diplomas at home plate.

44INAROW
05-23-2009, 10:24 PM
What a tough decision for a young man or woman to have to make. I'd pick the track meet. Seems I read somewhere that the UIL has fixed up or scheduled a 'mini graduation ceremony" on Friday night (I think) for those participants who will be missing their own respective ceremonies. Not sure how that all works but it would be some consolation for those missing their school's ceremony and they'd be in the company of others in the same situation. On the other hand, I am sure the parent or grandparent of the young lady/man have been looking forward to their child giving the commencement address as valedictorian- so that's a downer too. Just a tough decision........

Rabid Cougar
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Track Meet.
No one remembers anything about their graduation.
You remember the State Track Meet.

buff4ever
05-24-2009, 12:46 AM
um let me think about it........................track meet, and I hate track

44INAROW
05-24-2009, 08:16 PM
UIL's "answer" to graduation ceremony or state track meet.
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/track_field/pdf/gradceremony-request.pdf

DEADLINE: MAY 26, 2009
Fax Form to 5124716589
Request to Participate in Graduation Ceremony
2009 State Track and Field Meet
1) ONLY athletes that have a direct conflict between their high school graduation and
state track and field events may participate in an alternate graduation ceremony to
be held at the Mike Myers Stadium.
2) Graduates may wear their cap and gown.
3) Symbolic awards will be given to represent each studentfs diploma. Students,
however, may bring their own.
4) All graduates and presenters will report by 4:30 pm to the athletes staging area
located at the southeast end of the track to line up for the processional.

Events that conflict with school graduation
Event Date Time
Please check which ceremony you will participate in:
__________Friday, June 5th, 5:00 pm @ Mike Myers Stadium
__________Saturday, June 6th, 5:00 pm @ Mike Myers Stadium

Please e]mail Traci Neely (tneely@austin.utexas.edu) or Sheila Henderson
(shendy@austin.utexas.edu) with any questions

lakers
05-25-2009, 10:11 PM
ttt

Emerson1
05-25-2009, 10:16 PM
State track meet.

Graduation ceremony is for parents anyways.

Ranger Mom
05-26-2009, 11:06 PM
I would like to hear the stance from the posters who voted for graduation.

BTW....did we hear what decision they made? Or did someone post it and I just miss it?

forget it...I found where they picked the State track meet. I will be there and cheering for both relay teams!

goosealaniz
05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
i can see it going either way... but i voted for graduation cuz of the parents... seeing your child graduate with his friends that they have had all their life... but i can see it going either way

Ranger Mom
05-26-2009, 11:19 PM
i can see it going either way... but i voted for graduation cuz of the parents... seeing your child graduate with his friends that they have had all their life... but i can see it going either way
"
It went "The track way!!"

CLYDE -- For five days, Clyde track athletes P.J. Martinez and Emily Yates wrestled with the decision of a lifetime.

Should they go to the state track meet on June 5, where both have qualified in the boys and girls 800-meter relay, respectively? Or should they attend their high school graduation -- also slated for June 5 -- where Martinez was scheduled to speak as valedictorian and Yates was to speak as salutatorian?

Both came to their decision simultaneously on Sunday while speaking on the phone.

"I texted Emily and told her I thought I had come to a decision," Martinez said. "She texted me back and said she thought she had come to a decision too.

"So then we talked on the phone, and we agreed to say it at the same time at the count of three. So we both counted ...1 ... 2 ... 3 ... and then we both said 'state' at the exact same time."

The decision closed the book on what both teens agreed was the most difficult choice they've ever had to make. Two once-in-a-lifetime opportunities had collided on the same day -- a problem stemming from the University Interscholastic League's decision to reschedule the state track meet in the wake of the swine flu scare.

It also closed the book on five days of speculation. Would Clyde's relay teams compete at state or graduate with their classmates? The Clyde girls team had already agreed that it wouldn't compete with a substitute if Yates elected to go to graduation.

"I'm relieved that there isn't any more wondering," Clyde track coach Jarrett Vickers said. "I think they've made a good decision, and I'm happy for them. The fact that it was a tough decision for them shows what kind of kids they are character-wise."

Athletes whose graduations are conflicting with the state meet can attend a UIL-sponsored ceremony and receive their diplomas at 5 p.m. June 5 at Mike A. Myers Stadium at the University of Texas.

Both Martinez and Yates will videotape speeches to be played at Clyde's graduation and will attend the makeshift ceremony in Austin. The possibility of a live web feed from Austin to Clyde also is being discussed.

"I realized that by choosing state, I got more out of it," Yates said. "If I went to graduation, there was no way I could run. But at state, we still have the ceremony at 5 and we're still going to get to record our speeches.

"I felt like I got more out of that. It allows me to participate in all of it."

Making the decision even more difficult, was the fact that both Martinez and Yates were part of relay teams -- meaning that each of them had three teammates who were counting on them to get to state.

Had either team qualified for state with a second-rate time, it may have made things easier. But with the boys team producing the third-fastest time among state qualifiers (1:29.89) and the girls posting a time (1:44.99) which makes them the gold-medal favorites, both Martinez and Yates felt a responsibility to the teammates.

"My teammates were saying a decision to go (to graduation) wouldn't have bothered them," Martinez said. "But deep down, you know it would have.

"I don't know if they'll make it back to state next year, so I wanted to make sure they had that feeling this year. I didn't want to let them down."

Added Yates: If we had been the seventh- or eighth-fastest time, I'd have gone to graduation with my friends. But with us having the fastest time going into state, it's a huge deal knowing that we have a chance to get a gold medal. That definitely added to my decision to go to state.

"I don't feel like I'm going to regret it. I feel confident in the decision I made. It's like a huge weight has been taken off, and it feels great."

Link (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/may/25/on-to-austin/)

pancho villa
05-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Track meet, because everyone in my family graduates from college! high school is just a step on the way.

jason
05-27-2009, 08:22 AM
UIL should have a small ceremony at the state track meet for the seniors before the events start or before medals or some time....

garciap77
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
tough decision... i would try to video the graduation speech and play it at graduation... but this is a real tough decision

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs064.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Ranger Mom
05-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by jason
UIL should have a small ceremony at the state track meet for the seniors before the events start or before medals or some time....

Did you not read the articles?? They are having a ceremony in Austin, the speeches will be recorded and there may even be a live feed from Austin!

jason
05-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Did you not read the articles??
no

44INAROW
05-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by jason

they will :)
UIL's "answer" to graduation ceremony or state track meet.
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics...ony-request.pdf

DEADLINE: MAY 26, 2009
Fax Form to 5124716589
Request to Participate in Graduation Ceremony
2009 State Track and Field Meet
1) ONLY athletes that have a direct conflict between their high school graduation and
state track and field events may participate in an alternate graduation ceremony to
be held at the Mike Myers Stadium.
2) Graduates may wear their cap and gown.
3) Symbolic awards will be given to represent each studentfs diploma. Students,
however, may bring their own.
4) All graduates and presenters will report by 4:30 pm to the athletes staging area
located at the southeast end of the track to line up for the processional.

Events that conflict with school graduation
Event Date Time
Please check which ceremony you will participate in:
__________Friday, June 5th, 5:00 pm @ Mike Myers Stadium
__________Saturday, June 6th, 5:00 pm @ Mike Myers Stadium

Please e]mail Traci Neely (tneely@austin.utexas.edu) or Sheila Henderson
(shendy@austin.utexas.edu) with any questions