PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for Memorial Day!

Trashman
05-23-2009, 10:07 AM
http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2009/05/13/08/957-boxers-full.standalone.prod_affiliate.58.jpg

Boxers or briefs?

A lot of guys consider that a personal question, but the secret has been revealed for a 19-year-old Fort Worth soldier, thanks to The New York Times, the Internet and, well, the Taliban.

Army Spec. Zachary Boyd, a 2007 graduate of Keller Central High School, was in his sleeping quarters this week when the Taliban attacked in the rugged mountains of eastern Afghanistan. Boyd rushed to a defensive position clad in his helmet, vest and boxers -- the pink ones decorated with the "I Love NY" slogan.

As luck would have it, an Associated Press photographer was working at Firebase Restrepo in the Korengal Valley of Afghanistan’s Kunar Province, where Boyd is stationed.

His boxers ended up in newspapers nationwide -- including Tuesday's Star-Telegram -- and on the front page of the Times.

His mother was surprised to see that her son was in the Times, but she was not surprised that he was wearing unusual skivvies.

"It was typical," she said. "He has always been an interesting little character."

Sheree Boyd recalled her annoyance at how her "Zacho" used to "sag" his oversized jeans to reveal the tops of his boxers.

"I was always telling him to pull up his pants," she said, chuckling. "I would give him a wedgie to make him do it. As a mom, you want your son to look nice.

"But he has always been one to run around in his boxers. He even went and played golf one time in his boxers."

The photo has become popular on the Internet. Commentators have remarked that the boxers are a fitting tribute to New York City, considering the soldier is battling Taliban fighters, whose al Qaeda associates attacked the World Trade Center.

Boyd was home on leave last March, but his return flight was delayed in New York City. A buddy’s sister took him on a whirlwind tour and that’s when he bought the pink shorts, his mother said.

Zachary called his parents Monday night to let them know that the photo might appear in the Times.

He told them that the red T-shirt shown under his vest is from Woolley’s Frozen Custard on Beach Street in Fort Worth -- one of his favorite spots.

"He said, ’I hear the Times is what they put on the president’s desk,’ " she said. "Then he told us, ’I may not have a job anymore after the president has seen me out of uniform.’ "

He no doubt selected pink boxers as a joke to share with his fellow soldiers, Sheree Boyd said.

"They like to have a good time," she explained about the soldiers, "to deal with the tension."

There has been plenty of that; just read the news. His mother said he has been in at least 200 firefights.

"They have something going on just about every day, and some times all day long," Sheree Boyd said. "As a mother, it really turns your stomach up."

She said that her son had planned to attend Texas Tech University on an ROTC scholarship, but later chose to serve as an enlisted man first.

"He wanted to be an officer, but he didn’t want to be one that the men would not respect," she said. "He felt he needed to know the Army from the bottom up to be an effective leader."

And, she added, "He remembered 9-11, and how devastating that was," so he decided to "step up."

Boyd said she and her husband, Tommy, worry that their son may have "too much courage," but they’re proud that he is dedicated to his fellow soldiers and their mission. He’s expected home in June, if his tour doesn’t get extended.

"He feels like he should be doing his part to defend our nation," she said. "He is a very patriotic and very determined young man who is very sure that we need to do this, not just for us, but the Afghani people as well."

BILL MILLER, 817-390-7684

Trashman
05-24-2009, 08:02 AM
ttt

K-MAC Chuck
05-24-2009, 08:11 AM
God Bless Mr. Boyd and his entire unit...

And, God bless all of our Veterans.

I hope those of us "older folks" - and the teenagers today - take a few moments today to remember why we have Memorial Day.

Be safe.

Rabid Cougar
05-24-2009, 08:50 AM
bump!

Very appropriate not just today but everyday

In Iraq , it is common to go commando. ACUs don't soak up the sweat.

CHS_CG
05-24-2009, 09:10 AM
I heard this story a few weeks ago. He said they were resting and started getting attacked... and his first thought was to turn and start shooting.. He didnt even think to pull on his uniform lol.

God Bless the men and women in uniform defending our country!

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
bump!

Very appropriate not just today but everyday

In Iraq , it is common to go commando. ACUs don't soak up the sweat. i have to second this. the material that my DCU's are made of was the best. im sure its pretty close to the old BDU's stuff, but they did change something in it right before they issued them to us. that was the most comfortable uniform i have ever worn. plus, in addition to going commando in uniform, it is much more comfortable and less cumbersome and one less thing a soldier has to worry about. so i personally feel its much more hygenic to co commando as well.

mac77
05-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
"old BDU's stuff"
Geez, I'm getting old. I was in when they first started issuing BDU's. I eve n had to buy my first BDU field jacket. Didn't have MRE's until I went to Korea in 1983, still ate C rations.

I wonder if he got his butt chewed out for not wearing OD green issue boxers. LOL

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Geez, I'm getting old. I was in when they first started issuing BDU's. I eve n had to buy my first BDU field jacket. Didn't have MRE's until I went to Korea in 1983, still ate C rations.

I wonder if he got his butt chewed out for not wearing OD green issue boxers. LOL thats a good question. given the situation he was fully justified in not stopping to put on his uniform. although, in todays army, as sad as this is to say, its so politically correct that a Soldier is expected to stop and put on a uniform. i guess it all depends on his unit and what they want to do. its a crying shame if they punish him for doing the right thing.

Rabid Cougar
05-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't recall ever seeing any civies when I was in Iraq. You cannot go into any of the facilities without either PT uniform with safety belt or ACUs with weapon and one magazine. When there were rocket attacks at night I never saw anyone off duty personnel coming out of the tents/pods with anything but G.I. underwear and t-shirts. Again, I was on a FOB in Iraq and these guys are on a Fire Base in the 'stan. Two totally different situations, theaters and commands.

I have seen pictures of soldiers in Afghanistan wearing t-shirts under their IBAs, ACUs with sleves rolled up, no shoulder apps or groin protection. Not saying they are wrong but you would never see that in Iraq.

Is that your experience BFA02?

FOB/TIF Bucca, Umm Qasr, Basra Province, Iraq 07-08