PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

ronwx5x
05-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Let's not forget that Memorial Day is far more than just the semi-official beginning of summer. It is far more than barbecues, parties, or swimming pools.

Memorial Day was originally established as a day of remembrance for Union soldiers killed during the Civil War. After WWI it became a day to remember all those who sacrificed everything for the freedoms we all enjoy. It began as a day to visit cemeteries, place flowers on graves, and honor those who had died in war. Often picnics were held at those cemeteries and it was a sad but meaningful day for all.

Now it has become somewhat of just a day off. Lest we forget the sacrifices that were made in order for us to have that day off, I give you the names of my friends and comrades-in-arms who died while being my squadron mates in Vietnam.

Alan Trent
Eric Huberth
Loel Rexroad
Robert "Bob" Smith
George Richard "Rick" Keller
Glenn Lee

Maybe it's a bit more personal when one is there, but everyone owes these young men a debt of gratitude. If you want to know who they were, just google the names as they are all permanently listed on the wall in Washington DC.

Phil C
05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I agree with everything posted. We have several monuments at our County Courthouse for those who have died in war. I always make a special point to have a special visit to them on Memorial and Veterans' Day.

SHSBulldog00
05-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Let's not forget that Memorial Day is far more than just the semi-official beginning of summer. It is far more than barbecues, parties, or swimming pools.

Memorial Day was originally established as a day of remembrance for Union soldiers killed during the Civil War. After WWI it became a day to remember all those who sacrificed everything for the freedoms we all enjoy. It began as a day to visit cemeteries, place flowers on graves, and honor those who had died in war. Often picnics were held at those cemeteries and it was a sad but meaningful day for all.

Now it has become somewhat of just a day off. Lest we forget the sacrifices that were made in order for us to have that day off, I give you the names of my friends and comrades-in-arms who died while being my squadron mates in Vietnam.

Alan Trent
Eric Huberth
Loel Rexroad
Robert "Bob" Smith
Glenn Lee

Maybe it's a bit more personal when one is there, but everyone owes these young men a debt of gratitude. If you want to know who they were, just google the names as they are all permanently listed on the wall in Washington DC.

Great quote

zebrablue2
05-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

Alan Trent
Eric Huberth
Loel Rexroad
Robert "Bob" Smith
Glenn Lee

:clap::clap::clap: