PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Life Sucks

kepdawg
05-21-2009, 04:37 PM
As a child I often looked forward to the many "benefits" of growing up. Now I find myself at times longing for the carefree days of my childhood. Everyone I know both you and old are going through their own situations. No matter what age we cannot escape responsibility. We cannot escape pressure. We cannot escape the unknown. While the situations that life presents us may manifest themselves in different ways at different points in our lives the reality is that we all face these so called life situations. For a toddler it may be something as simple as not wanting to share a toy with a newborn sibling. In grade school it may be the embarrassment of not knowing the correct answer when called upon in class. In middle school acne can ruin a child's life. In high school the pressures of success in the the academic arena, the athletic arena, and the social arena can be overwhelming. After high school the decision of what path to take must be made; sometimes this takes longer for some then others. You get the picture. No matter what point of life we are in we cannot escape the unexpected: a parent has to break the news that they have accepted a job and the family will be moving, a family member dies unexpectedly, a couple breaks the news to the children that they are getting divorced, you lose a job, you lose the love of your life, etc...etc...etc... You get the picture. You all know what I am talking about. You are all going through it right now whether you realize it or not. It doesn't have to be the big things. The small things take a toll as well. And they add up! Your alarm doesn't go off and you are late to work. In a rush you spill your coffee on your shirt. You realize that in your rush out of the house you forgot to pick up your notes for today's meeting off of the office table. You get home and a kid tells you they failed a class. You smell something burning and realize it's time to call for pizza because dinner just went up in smoke! No matter if you are the one who was late to work, the one who had a meeting with an unprepared employee, the one who failed the class, the one who nuked dinner, the one who would be delivering the pizza, etc... you go to bed knowing you have to get up and do it all again tomorrow! Sometimes this doesn't seem like such a great idea. But you lay your head down hoping that maybe tomorrow things will be better. Wake up in the morning and make it be better! Remember that everyone else is going through life with you! We cannot escape life but we can do our best to enjoy it! Sometimes life sucks. You can let it suck you up or you can suck it up. The choice is yours.

Trashman
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bullaholic
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
The Good Lord gave us life, kep, but He never guaranteed us happiness---He gave us the tools to be happy---all we have to do is to learn to pick them up and use them.

44INAROW
05-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Amen Kep and you'll never know how timely your post was. Thanks ;)

PPHSfan
05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I wish Kep would use paragraphs. He hurts my eyes when he types.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I wish Kep would use paragraphs. He hurts my eyes when he types.

Yep, I really hate it when people have those long-winded posts and only use one paragraph. I mean, seriously, who does that? :cool:

raider red 2000
05-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
As a child I often looked forward to the many "benefits" of growing up. Now I find myself at times longing for the carefree days of my childhood. Everyone I know both you and old are going through their own situations. No matter what age we cannot escape responsibility. We cannot escape pressure. We cannot escape the unknown. While the situations that life presents us may manifest themselves in different ways at different points in our lives the reality is that we all face these so called life situations. For a toddler it may be something as simple as not wanting to share a toy with a newborn sibling. In grade school it may be the embarrassment of not knowing the correct answer when called upon in class. In middle school acne can ruin a child's life. In high school the pressures of success in the the academic arena, the athletic arena, and the social arena can be overwhelming. After high school the decision of what path to take must be made; sometimes this takes longer for some then others. You get the picture. No matter what point of life we are in we cannot escape the unexpected: a parent has to break the news that they have accepted a job and the family will be moving, a family member dies unexpectedly, a couple breaks the news to the children that they are getting divorced, you lose a job, you lose the love of your life, etc...etc...etc... You get the picture. You all know what I am talking about. You are all going through it right now whether you realize it or not. It doesn't have to be the big things. The small things take a toll as well. And they add up! Your alarm doesn't go off and you are late to work. In a rush you spill your coffee on your shirt. You realize that in your rush out of the house you forgot to pick up your notes for today's meeting off of the office table. You get home and a kid tells you they failed a class. You smell something burning and realize it's time to call for pizza because dinner just went up in smoke! No matter if you are the one who was late to work, the one who had a meeting with an unprepared employee, the one who failed the class, the one who nuked dinner, the one who would be delivering the pizza, etc... you go to bed knowing you have to get up and do it all again tomorrow! Sometimes this doesn't seem like such a great idea. But you lay your head down hoping that maybe tomorrow things will be better. Wake up in the morning and make it be better! Remember that everyone else is going through life with you! We cannot escape life but we can do our best to enjoy it! Sometimes life sucks. You can let it suck you up or you can suck it up. The choice is yours

thanks....

griff
05-21-2009, 08:01 PM
kep, I enjoyed this post more than any I've ever read on this site. Thanks, man. 'Didn't know you had it in you. ;)

I like that you included the line that "everyone is going through life with you." In light of what you've described, some will choose to suck it up (as everyone should), and some will even go to the other extreme and commit suicide. Which choice you make during this journey is a direct result of how you see yourself and your future.

MN95
05-21-2009, 10:44 PM
One of my favorite songs, from one of my favorite artists, singing about how life doesn't always work out the way we would have liked:

http://www.cmt.com/videos/unplugged/chris-knight/102660/enough-rope.jhtml?id=1539021

The last verse is my favorite:

Then I go back to the trailer
and make up with my wife
kiss my sleeping children
and I get on with my life

You're right Kep, sometimes life sucks, but when it does, the best thing you can do is "get on with your life".

kepdawg
05-22-2009, 01:59 AM
I was laying on the floor this afternoon and started thinking. Then I got up and started typing. It was all off the top of my head and not well thought out. I'm not sure really why I wrote it. Perhaps someone who will read it needed it.

And paragraphs are overrated.

firstdown
05-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks Kep,

My son turns 18 today and is set to go of to OK State. I hope you don't mind but I copied and pasted your post in an email to him. (I gave you credit) Sometimes you just have to put the gloves on and fight thru it.

FD

Farmersfan
05-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Great post Kep! Working through those hard times makes you appreciate the good times even more.