PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Spongebob....

Ranger Mom
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
why do I get the shocked reaction of so many young mothers when I say my granddaughter loves Spongebob??

I have all the movies... Season 1 - 4 episodes and I have never seen anything on there that I would think a kid shouldn't see.

My cousin told me her boys weren't allowed to watch it...but couldn't really answer me when I asked her why! Except to say that it was inappropriate.

CHS_CG
05-21-2009, 11:57 AM
there are some things that can be taken dirty..just like Sherk.. that movie is filled with it... but nothing that kids would get...

Ranger Mom
05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
there are some things that can be taken dirty..just like Sherk.. that movie is filled with it... but nothing that kids would get...

I guess when I am in her room watching it with her, I am just not in that frame of mind.....I have never noticed!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Spongebob does have a lot of dirty stuff in it...but the kids don't see it or get it. It's really subtle and I think the show is hilarious.

Sweetwater Red
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Wasn't there a stink about the show having alternative lifestyle
overtones?

waterboy
05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
I've heard a few say that the show had some of the stuff y'all are talking about, but I have watched the show quite a few times with my daughters and have never noticed any of it. I'll still allow my girls to watch it, unless I actually see something that I might consider inappropriate. A lot of the shows nowadays have some crude humor and/or sexual overtones which are shows my kids don't like anyway.

Bullaholic
05-21-2009, 01:01 PM
What is with kid's show controversies? When my kids were growing up, it was with "Teletubbies" supposedly having a gay character.

Emerson1
05-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
What is with kid's show controversies? When my kids were growing up, it was with "Teletubbies" supposedly having a gay character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScU_BtgMHIg

GreenMonster
05-21-2009, 01:04 PM
at least you aren't allowing her to watch Scooby-Doo the over-eating dog and his pot head buddy Shaggy.

PPHSfan
05-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Lot's of the same parents who won't let their kids watch spongebob WILL let them watch shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and go to movies like Twilight.

Go figure.

Ex-Tiger2005
05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
why do I get the shocked reaction of so many young mothers when I say my granddaughter loves Spongebob??

I have all the movies... Season 1 - 4 episodes and I have never seen anything on there that I would think a kid shouldn't see.

My cousin told me her boys weren't allowed to watch it...but couldn't really answer me when I asked her why! Except to say that it was inappropriate.

My wife says its inappropriate also but I dont listen we watch it when she is gone. The other day I walked in and they were watching George Lopez and he was talking about smoking weed. And I was like and this is better than sponge bob?

Ranger Mom
05-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
My wife says its inappropriate also but I dont listen we watch it when she is gone. The other day I walked in and they were watching George Lopez and he was talking about smoking weed. And I was like and this is better than sponge bob?

I have just not seen one thing in all the episode after episode after episode that I have watched that I thought was inappropriate for a 2 year old!!

Ex-Tiger2005
05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
yea me too! i think she just likes trying to tell me what to do. haha!

KingRob
05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

OMG, That link is freaking hilarious! ROFL!!

KingRob
05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
at least you aren't allowing her to watch Scooby-Doo the over-eating dog and his pot head buddy Shaggy.

And don't forget Velma, rumors were that she was gay, and had a secret crush on Daphne.

Trashman
05-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I watch Spongebob with my girls all the time and I really like the show. I think that Spongebob is this generations Buggs Bunny. There have been a few times that they have said things that kind of un-nerve me a little. But it is no worse than those Extenze commercials. :eek:

PPHSfan
05-21-2009, 03:55 PM
The Beverly Hillbillies made fun of Appalachian Americans.

I. B. Watching
05-22-2009, 06:54 AM
I love Spongebob. He is my generation's Bullwinkel

garciap77
05-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching

Who is Bullwinkel?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs067.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Man I'm old!:D

I. B. Watching
05-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Lol. I believe I meant Bullwinkle, Now it might ring a bell.:)

garciap77
05-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Lol. I believe I meant Bullwinkle, Now it might ring a bell.:) :iagree:

scrub c
05-22-2009, 09:02 AM

Bullwinkle sucks

CHS_CG
05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
Bullwinkle sucks

Bite your tounge... I loved Bullwinkle when I was a kid.. I still watch Looney Toons.. I have a DVD that Taylor and I watch and its got a bunch of episodes on it.. Classic Cartoons!

Ranger Mom
05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Bite your tounge... I loved Bullwinkle when I was a kid.. I still watch Looney Toons.. I have a DVD that Taylor and I watch and its got a bunch of episodes on it.. Classic Cartoons!

Kelissa doesn't seem to be the least bit interested in old cartoons.

They only thing she really sits down and will actually watch is anything with Spongebob.......Monster's Inc. and Finding Nemo.

pirate4state
05-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

OH MY GOD! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CHS_CG
05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Kelissa doesn't seem to be the least bit interested in old cartoons.

They only thing she really sits down and will actually watch is anything with Spongebob.......Monster's Inc. and Finding Nemo.

Taylor woudnt at her age either but about 6 months ago she finally figured out that mommy used to watch them as a little girl and she just loved it.. she also loves tom and jerry and there are no words to it!

I. B. Watching
05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
Bullwinkle sucks
Bullwinkle is complicated

Ranger Mom
05-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Taylor woudnt at her age either but about 6 months ago she finally figured out that mommy used to watch them as a little girl and she just loved it.. she also loves tom and jerry and there are no words to it!

LOL!! My cousin won't let her boys watch Tom & Jerry either....she said it's too violent and they sometimes smoke!!!

What's funny is...all this protecting she does of her boys...they are the 2 worst hellions I have ever seen. Both have been kicked out of daycare!!!

Trashman
05-22-2009, 02:04 PM
LOL!! My cousin won't let her boys watch Tom & Jerry either....she said it's too violent and they sometimes smoke!!!

What's funny is...all this protecting she does of her boys...they are the 2 worst hellions I have ever seen. Both have been kicked out of daycare!!!

What do you have to do, to get kicked out of daycare?

Ranger Mom
05-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
What do you have to do, to get kicked out of daycare?

The youngest one bit the teacher!! I don't remember what the oldest one did!

Against my better judgment, I invited them to my granddaughter's 2nd birthday party last month.

The oldest one took a baseball bat into the blowup bouncer I rented and started swinging it around.

The youngest one balled up his fist and hit my daughter-in-laws 3 y/o nephew in the face.

They are just MEAN!! And my cousin just sat there on her butt and laughed.

Needless to say, she and her kids won't be invited back to my house!

Trashman
05-22-2009, 02:18 PM

Against my better judgment, I invited them to my granddaughter's 2nd birthday party last month.

The oldest one took a baseball bat into the blowup bouncer I rented and started swinging it around.

The youngest one balled up his fist and hit my daughter-in-laws 3 y/o nephew in the face.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

CHS_CG
05-22-2009, 05:42 PM

I cant stand parents who do that.. I try my hardest keep Taylor from throwing fits in stores and public places.. I cant stand parents who are out to dinner and are letting their kids yell and scream.. nor can I stand to see kids running around stores like they have never seen the light of day!

GrTigers6
05-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I cant stand parents who do that.. I try my hardest keep Taylor from throwing fits in stores and public places.. I cant stand parents who are out to dinner and are letting their kids yell and scream.. nor can I stand to see kids running around stores like they have never seen the light of day! My favorites are the ones that start cussing and the parents just laugh and say that's cute. Instead of gettin on them and teaching them its not right for a four year old to talk like that. Or will give them what they want because they are tired of hearing them fuss.:dispntd:

CHS_CG
05-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
My favorites are the ones that start cussing and the parents just laugh and say that's cute. Instead of gettin on them and teaching them its not right for a four year old to talk like that. Or will give them what they want because they are tired of hearing them fuss.:dispntd:

My babysitter was in Walmart with my daughter a few months back and Taylor started yelling and screaming bc she wasnt able to have a toy... my babysitter had a greeting card in her hand and lightly smacked her across the mouth with the card.. and a lady asked her "did you just smack that child with a card?" and she replied with "yes I sure did" she goes.. "well I would never do that.. maybe you should think about parenting classes" Then the lady proceeded to try to get her child to stop running around and the child yelled at the top of his lungs "you cant tell me what to do" and SHE IGNORED HIM!

Im sorry if Taylor yells at me or pops off like she has before I will pop her on the mouth.. its not hard but its enough for her to understand "ok I dont talk to mommy like that" and I have only had to do it about 3 times since she turned 3 yrs old

GrTigers6
05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
My babysitter was in Walmart with my daughter a few months back and Taylor started yelling and screaming bc she wasnt able to have a toy... my babysitter had a greeting card in her hand and lightly smacked her across the mouth with the card.. and a lady asked her "did you just smack that child with a card?" and she replied with "yes I sure did" she goes.. "well I would never do that.. maybe you should think about parenting classes" Then the lady proceeded to try to get her child to stop running around and the child yelled at the top of his lungs "you cant tell me what to do" and SHE IGNORED HIM!

Im sorry if Taylor yells at me or pops off like she has before I will pop her on the mouth.. its not hard but its enough for her to understand "ok I dont talk to mommy like that" and I have only had to do it about 3 times since she turned 3 yrs old Thats exactly what I mean. It don't take much but a little firm pat on the cheek or butt. and they stop acting up. Its amazing. :D My kids now are 19, 18, and 15. They aren't perfect. but i do get compliments from several people about there behavior. even though i don't get to see much of it at home :D

piratebg
05-22-2009, 07:05 PM
My kids and I love watching Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Odd Parents, and now the Penguins of Madagascar. :)