PDA

View Full Version : Terminated from Job

Antec
05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
After writing for the Wharton Journal Spectator for 23 years and 20 as sports editor

I was terminated by our new owners today

I covered all the teams in Wharton County gave a lot of hours and was on the road a lot

I will miss this job and working with the coaches and writing about the kids and their success in high school sports

Hopefully I can find a job at another newspaper within reasonable driving distance.

Mike

LH Panther Mom
05-20-2009, 06:11 PM
That stinks! :( I hope you find something soon, and hopefully end up in a good, if not better, place. :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-20-2009, 06:12 PM
:( Good luck.

SHSBulldog00
05-20-2009, 06:22 PM
That's horrible news!! I hope you get another position at another paper soon. Good Luck

Trashman
05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear that. :( Hope you get a better job that pays more money real soon. :D

Old Dog
05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
That really sucks! Good luck that the next door will open soon and nearby.................we'll be thinking about you.

44INAROW
05-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I am really sorry Mike. Hopefully something will turn up soon. Keep smiling and keep up the faith, ;)

CHS_CG
05-20-2009, 06:58 PM
That stinks... I know how it feels.... I was fired 2 months ago and still havent found anything else yet.

Best of luck for you to find something!

PurpleFreddy
05-20-2009, 08:08 PM
That's one of the reasons I got out of the newspaper business several years ago. Advertising clowns almost always end up in leadership positions and they don't care about content. You should google for the video and listen to the testimony given recently by a former newspaper reporter who was a writer for the HBO series, "The Wire." He really lays out why newspapers are dying.

I miss the job, but I don't miss the pay or the hours. I miss the thrill of making deadline and creating a good product. I miss the daily challenge of crafting something. I have turned that into a new challenge. I teach high school freshmen! ha ha

Looking4number8
05-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Sorry Mike and I wish you the best. I know the Brownwood Bulletin sports guy puts in ungodly hours. I tease him when I see him about never getting a day off. I really don't think he does. He loved the swine flu things a couple of weeks ago. He said it was the first time he got more than one day off in a row in 5 years.

Anyways, good luck to you!

BwdLions
05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Mike, I hate the fact that you put in that many years and the new owners let you go. I hope you get another job really soon. With your experience and longevity at your previous employer, you shouldn't have a problem. ;)

pirate4state
05-21-2009, 09:17 AM
BOO!

That really stinks. Hope you find something else. Good Luck.

waterboy
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that, Mike. I've said a little prayer for you. Usually when one door shuts, another one opens. I'm praying you'll find the job you are looking for, and that you'll enjoy it a lot more.

FbCoachB40
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Mike, I coached at Wharton. I wish you the best

KingRob
05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I hope find another job soon, and I hope after 23 years they gave you a some kind of severance package.

areacode337
05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear it Mike....the wharton journal was Mike Konvicka...especially to all the coaches in the Wharton County coverage area....

I didn't know anyone else worked there for the past 15 years...good luck...

K-MAC Chuck
05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Mike,
I agree with what everyone on here has said, from "good luck" to "advertising clowns get the leadership positions" to "newspaper sports guys never get a day off."

On a side note - use that experience in a different way. There's plenty out there to do other than newspaper. Start doing some research and use your God-given talents; you obviously care about your community!

18handicap
05-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Mike,
I'm very sorry to hear about this. You are a great person and you do a great job. I know I always enjoyed talking to you and looked forward to reading your articles when I was at Brazosport and Sweeny. I know a lot of relatives in the area that will cancel their subscriptions over this. My family will pray for you and your family to land on your feet soon.

Coach Hicks
A&M Consolidated HS

BOCEPHUS
05-21-2009, 05:36 PM
EVERY TIME I GOT FIRED I ENDED UP BETTER OFF..............AND HELL I AM DOING SUPERB RITE NOW,.............DON'T THINK IT+ CAN GET ANY BETTER.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Hey Mike, sorry to hear about what happened. It sucks, especially now that we're in such economically hard times. I hope you land on your feet soon!

BTW....if you don't mind living in the RGV, there's a guy currently working for the Valley Morning Star in Harlingen who....putting it mildly....has ruffled a few feathers in the area. Maybe you can try putting in an app down there? Living in the RGV isn't THAT bad....just get a place in Port Isabel and you're livin' the good life! :cool:

texansfan
05-24-2009, 01:55 AM
all the papers are struggling and things have changed. it's sad to see.
hope things get better for you sir!

Bone Pile
05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Antec
After writing for the Wharton Journal Spectator for 23 years and 20 as sports editor

I was terminated by our new owners today

I covered all the teams in Wharton County gave a lot of hours and was on the road a lot

I will miss this job and working with the coaches and writing about the kids and their success in high school sports

Hopefully I can find a job at another newspaper within reasonable driving distance.

Mike

Sure would be great if you could work for the Colorado County Citizen. They really do not have much when it comes to sports,outdoors and other sports related items. Really could use someone like yourself.
Good Luck and "Don't let the B------s get you down".

Antec
05-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Got offered and took the Bay City Tribune today as sports Editor

Will start next week

And will be covering the state track meet

Will have my hands full in the fall covering Bay City, Van Vleck, Tidehaven and Palacios

lulu
05-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Will start next week

Will have my hands full in the fall covering Bay City, Van Vleck, Tidehaven and Palacios

:clap: Congratz!!!!!!!!! You didn't have to wait long....must be pretty good journalist. I'm :D happy for you.

Trashman
05-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Great news! Good luck in your new job!

sinton66
05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Bay City is a good place for sports. Congrats.

mwynn05
05-29-2009, 08:47 PM

Will start next week

Will have my hands full in the fall covering Bay City, Van Vleck, Tidehaven and Palacios will this require you to move or a drive you can still make daily and it wont be too tough

sinton66
05-29-2009, 09:47 PM
It's about 30 miles from where he lives.

CHS_CG
05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
CONGRATS Mike! Glad to hear you found another job! Hope you enjoy it!

44INAROW
05-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Congrats Mike - so glad this wasn't a long and drawn out process. I will be looking forward to reading some of your articles. Getting to cover the state track meet is a great way to start off.

maestro
05-29-2009, 11:20 PM
mike...

glad to read that you've found another job.

bay city sports area is a hotbed of excitement.....best of luck in your new surroundings.

themsu97
05-30-2009, 09:16 AM
great news... I sent you a pm

Antec
06-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Second week at Bay City Tribune going really smooth-The 35 minute drive isn't that bad

44INAROW
06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Second week at Bay City Tribune going really smooth-The 35 minute drive isn't that bad

good news that things are working out for you at the new job. I think the 35 mins drive would give you time to "unwind" and get your mind clear before going home - I try that on my way home but mine is 2 mins so I don't get much unwinding time..... :D

big daddy russ
06-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Congrats, Mike. Good to see you on your feet this quick.

IHStangFan
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM

Will start next week

Will have my hands full in the fall covering Bay City, Van Vleck, Tidehaven and Palacios Outstanding....this is great news!! Congrats! :clap:

waterboy
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Great news, Mike! Glad to hear you landed on your feet so quickly. Hope this job turns out to be your dream job. The commute is not that bad. I drive about 30-35 minutes each way daily, and I'll tell you that on the way to work I have time to get woke up good pouring coffee down me. On the way home I have time to unwind a little. I do some of my deep thinking and say some prayers each way everyday.:thumbsup:

pirate4state
06-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Will start next week

:( I'm sorry I missed this. Would have been nice to have met you. Congrats on the new job! :)