View Full Version : Fort Stockton

tex_male
05-20-2009, 04:24 PM
http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/howard-4103-fort-stockton.html

Football: Fort Stockton loses head coach Howard to Granbury administration
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
May 19, 2009 - 10:42 PM
CRAIG CRAKER
After 34 years on the sidelines, Tom Howard is calling it quits.

Howard resigned his position as Fort Stockton athletic director/head football coach on Tuesday at a school board meeting.

"I'm giving it up and going into administration," he said. "I'm ready for a change and excited about the opportunity. I'm sure I'll miss coaching, it's been my whole life; but I'm ready for the change."

Howard wouldn't say what job he was leaving for but confirmed it is an administration post in the Granbury ISD. Former Fort Stockton superintendent Ron Mayfield was hired recently in Granbury, and he offered Howard a chance to join him in the Metroplex.

Howard has been at the Class 3A school for a little more than four years. He compiled a 26-17 record and won district titles the last two years. His career record is 151-125-2.

The Panthers never did get that elusive playoff victory - something no football team in Fort Stockton has accomplished - but Howard is still proud of his accomplishments.

"We won district in every sport at least once," Howard said. "The boys and girls have improved and we have doubled the number of participants. That is pretty gratifying."

What happens at Fort Stockton now is up in the air.

Howard said he recommended Fort Stockton defensive coordinator B.J. Carlton to replace him.

"All of the kids want him there and all of the kids look to him," Howard said. "He's been my right-hand man, but they haven't decided what they are doing.

"All five jobs I've left in the last 26 years they have hired one of my assistants, hopefully that trend will continue. I think it will be great for the program, especially this late in the year. It would be hard for the rest of the coaches to get settled."

Howard will remain on the job in Fort Stockton until the end of June and then move to Granbury.

tex_male
06-06-2009, 07:32 AM
http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/stockton-4207-fort-coach.html

Football: Fort Stockton receives 22 applicants for open head-coaching position
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
June 5, 2009 - 3:50 PM
BY WILLIE BANS
Fort Stockton ISD released a list of 22 applicants for the head football coach-athletic director position.

It was released late Thursday evening, and the deadline for submitting applications was noon Friday, according to school board member Brent McGuire.

At least six interviews are scheduled. Four have been completed - one Tuesday, three Thursday - McGuire said. McGuire declined to reveal the names of those interviewed, though Fort Stockton secondary coach Scotty Bruington, an applicant, said Rex Whitfield interviewed Tuesday. Bruington has not been scheduled for an interview, he said.

Whitfield, a Fort Stockton graduate and former Sweetwater offensive coordinator who applied for head coaching jobs at Odessa High in 1999 and Fort Stockton in 2000, is listed as retired and residing in Idalou.

Two, "possibly three," interviews are scheduled for Monday, McGuire said. He added that the school board has interviewed candidates as their applications have come in, and because the board had not seen the full list as of Friday afternoon, there is a chance more will be interviewed than currently scheduled.

Six of the seven school board members and interim superintendent Ralph Traynham are conducting the interviews.

In the list given to the Odessa American, several have Permian Basin ties. Three - Bruington, outside linebackers coach Randy Wilson and Dwight Webb, listed as retired - are from Fort Stockton.

Other locals on the list: Kermit offensive coordinator Arick Heredia, who has applied to several head coaching openings this offseason, and Permian head basketball coach and assistant football coach Joe Flores, who said he is not a finalist.

Fort Stockton may hire the new coach as early as Monday evening.

>> APPLICANTS:

Terry Benter, dean of student/athletic director, Omaro, Wis.

Scotty Bruington, secondary coach/head baseball coach, Fort Stockton

Ron Dupree, retired, Orange

Mark C. Erwin, assistant athletic director/assistant head football coach, Belton

Joe Flores, assistant football coach, Permian

Roy Garcia, assistant head coach/offensive coordinator, Levelland

Michael Gaston, head football coach/offensive coordinator, San Antonio Holmes

John Gullion, general manager, Hollywood, Fla.

John Henry, biology teacher, Rocksprings

Arick Heredia, offensive coordinator, Kermit

Paul Hidalgo, defensive coordinator, San Marcos

Luther Justus, head football coach, Del Ray, Fla.

Gary Lamar, head football and volleyball coach, Point Hope, Ark.

Luis Luna, teacher, El Paso

Michael Dale Morris, former coach at Ranger College Keller

Robert Ortega, defensive coordinator/head boys track coach, Horizon City

Jimmy Randolph, defensive coordinator/head boys track coach, Lampasas

William Glenn Tunstall, head football coach, Cushing

Peter Wagner, offensive coordinator/assistant track coach, San Antonio

Dwight Webb, retired, Fort Stockton

Rex Whitfield, retired, Idalou

Randy Wilson, teacher/coach, Fort Stockton

LH Panther Mom
06-07-2009, 07:45 PM

GM of what, I wonder. :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

GM of what, I wonder. :thinking:

I didn't even catch that. Rex Whitfield coached at Sweetwater when
I was in high school.

tex_male
06-09-2009, 11:02 PM
http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/whitfield-4230-coach-fort.html

Football: Fort Stockton hires new head coach
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
June 8, 2009 - 10:26 PM
BY WILLIE BANS
Selling insurance wasn't cutting it for Rex Whitfield.

He wanted to return to coaching football.

He will, and will do so in his hometown as the new head football coach-athletic director.

After being recommended by Fort Stockton ISD interim superintendent Ralph Traynham, the school board Monday unanimously voted to hire Whitfield to replace Tom Howard.

Whitfield, a 1974 Fort Stockton graduate, last coached at Lubbock Estacado from 2004-2007 as the defensive coordinator. He was receivers and secondary coach at Colorado City from 2003-2004 and offensive coordinator at Slaton from 2000-2003.

His longest stop was as Sweetwater's offensive coordinator from 1988 to 2000.

"I'm excited," Whitfield said. "I hope the kids are. I hope it works out for everyone."

Whitfield, according to school board president Ken Ripley, was one of five interviewed for the position, which opened May 19 when Howard left for an administration post at Granbury.

The budgeted salary is $79,000, though 12 percent of an early retirement penalty from the Teacher Retirement System of Texas will be subtracted until the end of the year, Ripley said.

Howard was coach at the Class 3A school for a little more than four years. He compiled a 26-17 record and won district titles the last two years.

The Panthers have never won a playoff game.