PDA

View Full Version : That was a crappy call...

Gobbla2001
10-06-2003, 11:56 PM
If you're watching MNF, you know what I mean...

therealbulldogs
10-06-2003, 11:59 PM
You beat me to the post!

sinton66
10-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Bucs didn't even get a kiss!

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Accually the call's a tad easier to understand now...

They say if you jump up in the air and hit a player on the way down (that's if you lined up a yard behind the line of scrimmage) that it is leaping...

BUT, the player he hit on the way down was blocked into him...

Tough break...

You can say it was luck for the Colts, which it was...

But as I've said time and time again, you must set yourself up for luck to actually have luck work for you... and they did...

<small>[ October 07, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Actually, if the game winning FG wouldn't have tipped the back of a lineman's helmet it wouldn't have been good...

Two shots of luck in two plays.... dang...

the-O-fence
10-07-2003, 12:03 AM
A pretty crappy call by the refs on that running into the kicker against the Colts, the refs were some of the worst Ive ever seen.

98Eagle
10-07-2003, 12:04 AM
35 points in the 2nd half wasn't luck. Good Bday present for Dungy.

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 12:05 AM
98Eagle:
35 points in the 2nd half wasn't luck. Good Bday present for Dungy.If you'd read again, that's EXACTLY WHAT I SAID...

It was luck, BUT, you have to set yourself up for luck, which the Colts did (not giving up and making a great comeback)...

sinton66
10-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Let's not blame it on the ref's. The ref's didn't come back from down 35-14 in under four minutes, that was the Colts. Of course the buc defense helped by not doing anything.

therealbulldogs
10-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Here's my question, why is it even a call?

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 12:34 AM
To prevent NFL teams from going out and getting Olympic High-jumpers to block FG's is what I hear (which kinda makes sense)...

therealbulldogs
10-07-2003, 12:40 AM
I don't think that it really makes since. You want to get the best player at every position and if it means getting someone who can leap like a frog than thats what it takes.

therealbulldogs
10-07-2003, 12:42 AM
It's not like he used anybody to propell himself up for the block.

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Yah, but then it'd reach the point where there wasn't a point to even having a FG kicker because it would get blocked all of the time...

I dunno, I think it's okay to call it if a player jumps off of anothers back, but for it to accually be a rule that you can't fall on to a player? Dunno that I like that one...

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 12:46 AM
See it wasn't that he jumped off of a player... It was that he landed on a player (that's what the rule says is also ilegal)... But from what I saw, a teammate from the right side of the player the penalty was called one was actually blocked into his lower body which caused that player's natural reaction, which was to put his hands on the closest thing he could find, which was the guy infront of him... He barely even placed his hands on the guys back because he didn't fall as he thought he would after having a teammate blocked into him...

I THINK the rule is like that of a punt or fg block... You can't run into the player unless you're blocked into him...

trojandad
10-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Admit it, the refs just thought he jumped on someone's back to get up higher and got busted by the replay and scrambled for an interpretation after they saw by replay they were wrong. Oh for the day a man in a striped shirt holds his hand up and says BLEW IT!! lol

JasperDog94
10-07-2003, 09:45 AM
trojandad:
Admit it, the refs just thought he jumped on someone's back to get up higher and got busted by the replay and scrambled for an interpretation after they saw by replay they were wrong. Oh for the day a man in a striped shirt holds his hand up and says BLEW IT!! lolNo, that would have been "leverage" which I have also seen called.

If you allowed a running start, teams would start getting olympic athletes and putting them in pads. Read the rules. While it's almost never called, it is a rule about getting a running start and landing on people. You can complain about consistancy of enforcing the rules, but the rule is clear. What he did was illegal.

<small>[ October 07, 2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: JasperDog94 ]</small>

trojandad
10-07-2003, 10:33 AM
First off, plenty of Olympic athletes HAVE been suited up, starting with Bob Hayes, going to Renaldo Nehemiah, back in the 60's Hank Stram had a high jumper that he would put back at the goal posts to knock away long field goals that just barely cleared the bar, I can't remember his name tho.

I understand that there is a rule about running up, and I understand about leverage, problem is they both have the same call, unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yard penalty. It's my belief that they only called it because they call the leverage one and don't call the running start one, as they claimed to. It was my opinion that they THOUGHT he leveraged himself and used the other rule after they saw he didn't to save their hides legally.

Nobody knows except the head ref along with God, so it's an opinion from any of us, I just personally believe he blew it and didn't want to admit he missed it after a bad call. Problem is, we'll never know. But after the bad call night they had, it was apparent they weren't about to reverse themselves on anything.

JasperDog94
10-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Very true. :)

Bongo
10-07-2003, 10:52 AM
It's a shame that the game was marred by several questionable calls. The running into kicker called on the Colts and the leaping onto the back call on the field goal were just two of the obvious calls.

One of the reasons I watch sports is the chance to see great performances by gifted atheletes. Last night I saw an incredible preformance by Peyton Manning, and unfortunately what we end of focusing on are the bad calls.

JasperDog94
10-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Bongo:
It's a shame that the game was marred by several questionable calls. The running into kicker called on the Colts and the leaping onto the back call on the field goal were just two of the obvious calls.

One of the reasons I watch sports is the chance to see great performances by gifted atheletes. Last night I saw an incredible preformance by Peyton Manning, and unfortunately what we end of focusing on are the bad calls.I had forgotten about the running into the kicker call. That call was as bad or worse than the other one. Give the punter an Oscar! :rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
10-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Although I didn't like the leaping call, it's another one of those rules that the NFL has that they shouldn't. Give credit to the refs for knowing the rule, even though it is strange. Look for it to be changed in the offseason though, just like the tuck rule a couple years back.

JasperDog94
10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
I had the game on my dish network system and went back and watched the ending again. The refs called leaping immediately. The ref never said anything about leverage and then changed the call. He called leaping before the replay on the jumbo-tron. As the rule reads, the refs made the correct call according to the books and never changed their call as someone suggested earlier. Like it or not, it was the correct call. Unlike the "running into the kicker" that they called on Indy.

whtfbplaya
10-08-2003, 12:00 PM
the-O-fence:
A pretty crappy call by the refs on that running into the kicker against the Colts, the refs were some of the worst Ive ever seen.Amen, I was wondering if anyone would point this out.

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Yeah, well the calls were different, but that wasn't the reason the Bucs lost.

As was mentioned earlier, the Bucs lost because they could not sustain a drive in the last 4 minutes. All they had to do was get a couple of first downs...

JasperDog94
10-08-2003, 12:52 PM
...Either that, or put their starters back in on defense. :p wink :D

BIG19
10-08-2003, 12:57 PM
What a great call!!! In the Cubs/Marlins game last night. 8th inning, Marlins have runners on 1st and 2nd. Ball hit to 2nd basemen and he bobbles the ball as he is tagging the runner. Second base ump calls safe and all heck breaks loose for a bit. Replay shows the ball was actually in between the players shirt and his hand while attempting the tag with an empty glove. Just wanted to give props to them because they sure have been screwing up some calls during these playoffs.

JasperDog94
10-08-2003, 01:09 PM
That was a good call. Very difficult to see in real time.