PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Music.

carter08
05-20-2009, 03:46 PM
favorite styles/bands/singers?
why you like them?
recommend new artists/ new albums.
links to new bands myspace's that you think everyone should check out.
talk about upcoming concerts and ones you've been to in the past.
argue over why nickelback sucks.
etc. etc. etc.

Ex-Tiger2005
05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
i am a rap man myself
chamillionaire, kanye west, lil wayne
new artist- asher roth, the white rapper!, he is good

Trashman
05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Don't like......Country, Rap, or grunge or garage bands.

Do like....Southern rock, rock, disco, funk, AC and blues

goosealaniz
05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
i listen to cumbias and duranguenses... dont really care who sings it...

garciap77
05-20-2009, 04:13 PM
CCR

carter08
05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
i am a rap man myself
chamillionaire, kanye west, lil wayne
new artist- asher roth, the white rapper!, he is good

asher roth? really.

i like chamillionaire and kanye, not a huge lil wayne fan but i respect his stuff, but asher roth is lame. rap is supposed to be hard. he's talking about drinking at rich suburban college white kid parties.

I. B. Watching
05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I still like The Shins and Bright Eyes. But I have recently started listening to Delta Spirit, Iron and Wine and Noah and the Whales

carter08
05-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
I still like The Shins and Bright Eyes. But I have recently started listening to Delta Spirit, Iron and Wine and Noah and the Whales

chutes too narrow = best album ever.

and i'm wide awake its morning is a close second.

have you heard conor oberst's new album? from the looks of things, bright eyes is a thing of the past.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Iron & Wine is pretty good.

Lately, I've been pulling old Pearl Jam Albums out. Also, really getting into:

- Kings of Leon
- Ghostland Observatory (don't know one track name, just good to listen to it progress)
- Gomez
- Ryan Bingham
- Raul Malo
- Fastball (like their new album)
- Ars Supernova (mainly an Austin band)
- Band of Heathens

trojan37
Slipknot
Otep
Deftones
Metallica
Drykill Logic

That's just a few.

BwdLions
No offense to you guys (and gals) that like rap, but that music makes my skin crawl. I'm a rock and pop fan myself. I even listen to a lot of today's modern music (since I have a teenage daughter). To me there'll never be another decade of music that compares to 80s rock.

trojan37
05-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Slipknot
Otep
Deftones
Metallica
Drykill Logic

That's just a few.

I. B. Watching
05-20-2009, 04:23 PM
yeah. I think Connor is outstanding. His lyrics have always been awesome and that hasn't changed. I saw Bright Eyes 2 years ago in Austin, and I still love Land locked Blues and Something Vague. I agree with you on The Shins.

turbostud
This is one of my favorite bands. Very unique and inventive style. Saw them on this tour at Deep Ellum Live in 91
Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUxAol0wbak)

SWMustang
Nickelback sucks because they fall into the AOB category - All other Bands. It's a collection of like sounding bands that are hard to distinguish one from any of the others. The lead singer usually distininguishes himself enough that I can pick them out, but musically, there is some overly syrupy crap they put out. It's borderline EMO to the point I want to slit my wrists when I hear it. I wish untold pain and torture on Nickelback for exposing me to this limp wristed style of male introspection and feminizing young men everywhere. That is all.

Ex-Tiger2005
Originally posted by carter08
asher roth? really.

i like chamillionaire and kanye, not a huge lil wayne fan but i respect his stuff, but asher roth is lame. rap is supposed to be hard. he's talking about drinking at rich suburban college white kid parties.

i think he's funny not something i would blow the speakers to but he is funny

carter08
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Iron & Wine is pretty good.

Lately, I've been pulling old Pearl Jam Albums out. Also, really getting into:

- Kings of Leon
- Ghostland Observatory (don't know one track name, just good to listen to it progress)
- Gomez
- Ryan Bingham
- Raul Malo
- Fastball (like their new album)
- Ars Supernova (mainly an Austin band)
- Band of Heathens

i saw ars supernova a couple years ago at some park. a few of the members are actually from lake jackson.

garciap77
05-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Slipknot
Otep
Deftones
Metallica
Drykill Logic

That's just a few.

I've only heard of Metallica! What is that other stuff!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ex-Tiger2005
05-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
No offense to you guys (and gals) that like rap, but that music makes my skin crawl. I'm a rock and pop fan myself. I even listen to a lot of today's modern music (since I have a teenage daughter). To me there'll never be another decade of music that compares to 80s rock.

i have to agree to the the 80s decade it was before my time but when those songs come on the radio is all the way up!!

carter08
05-20-2009, 04:25 PM
yeah. I think Connor is outstanding. His lyrics have always been awesome and that hasn't changed. I saw Bright Eyes 2 years ago in Austin, and I still love Land locked Blues and Something Vague. I agree with you on The Shins.

i love landlocked blues.

i am also very jealous you got to see bright eyes.

i heard some new shins songs on youtube. i can't wait for them to get a new album out.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-20-2009, 04:26 PM
i saw ars supernova a couple years ago at some park. a few of the members are actually from lake jackson.

Yeah, I'm kind of biased because I work with one of the members. They do put on one great live show though.

Emerson1
05-20-2009, 04:26 PM
asher roth? really.

Kanye West is complete garbage.

carter08
05-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Nickelback sucks because they fall into the AOB category - All other Bands. It's a collection of like sounding bands that are hard to distinguish one from any of the others. The lead singer usually distininguishes himself enough that I can pick them out, but musically, there is some overly syrupy crap they put out. It's borderline EMO to the point I want to slit my wrists when I hear it. I wish untold pain and torture on Nickelback for exposing me to this limp wristed style of male introspection and feminizing young men everywhere. That is all.

agreed.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Kanye West is complete garbage.

Disagree. Great production skills and very innovative stylistically in my opinion.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-20-2009, 04:30 PM
In a battle of crap, who would you rather see live?

Nickleback?

Or...

Rush?

Now, remember: Rush is horrible.

carter08
05-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Nickleback?

Or...

Rush?

Rush.Rush.Rush.Rush.

words cannot express how much i hate nickelback.

i was at an explosions in the sky concert a few months ago and they started playing "rockstar" on the pa before the show, and everyone started booing.

I. B. Watching
05-20-2009, 04:36 PM
def. Rush. Nick. Back gives me pains

BreckTxLonghorn
05-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Correct answer is Nickelback. Here's why:

Both are equally hate-worthy.

No one would want to hear Rock N Roll Canadian Mad-Libs live in Concert (Nickelback), and if we wanted to hear a half-man half-goat sing (Rush), we'd go to Narnia.

The tiebreaker on this is atmosphere. Who would you rather be at a concert with?

A 300 lb ft man with Geddy Lee airbrushed on his shirt?
OR
A 20 year old girl who won tickets through the local top40 station and is stealing sips of a Mike's Hard Lemonade when no one's looking?

I rest my case.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Maroon87
05-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Totally disagree.

Ranger Mom
05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
I pretty much liked all the "hair bands" from the 80's.

I like Nickleback.....never have liked Rush for some reason.

Heard a song on the radio other day that I liked the music/beat too. Daughter said it was by Theory of a Deadman and was called Bad Girlfriend.

Since a lot of it was bleeped out....I looked up the lyrics!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I still like the song though!!!

Emerson1
05-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Disagree. Great production skills and very innovative stylistically in my opinion.
Yes, auto tune is very innovative.

carter08
05-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Yes, auto tune is very innovative.

every rapper auto tune's and vocodes.

Emerson1
05-20-2009, 05:40 PM
I doubt that, the only other one who does it on a consistent basis is t-pain.

Em doesn't use it.

btw, eminem = greatest rapper alive

LH Panther Mom
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM

Nickleback?

Or...

Rush?

I like both of them. :p

trojan37
05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
here's you some Texas rap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df-ab-wfEIk&feature=related) HAHA, this is funny!

CHS_CG
05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Texas Country all the way

Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers Band, Eli Young Band, Wade Bowen, Stoney LaRue, Reckless Kelly, Mickey and the Motorcars, Robert Earl Keen, Roger Creager, Brandon Ryder and many more.. lol

carter08
05-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I doubt that, the only other one who does it on a consistent basis is t-pain.

Em doesn't use it.

btw, eminem = greatest rapper alive

way more people use auto tune than you think. pretty much everything put out my the major labels has some degree of auto tune to it. of course, usually nowhere near as obvious as t-pain.