PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous playoff system in Texas

Alvaradobacker
10-14-2001, 12:29 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this division I, division II system is crap? If we need to divide the classifications into big and small, maybe we should just have another classification or 2 with tighter enrollment ranges.
I just watched Alvarado play a Whitney team that had about 17 players while we trotted out 2 platoons. I'm sure we've got twice as many kids in the high school as they have. Is that fair? A few years ago when Alvarado was 4A, we were playing Cleburne, Burleson, and Waxahachie, all of whom had almost twice as many kids in high school as we did. We'd hang with them in the first half and then get beat in the fourth quarter when our boys got tired. We were out depthed. I hate it when the season is over and state champs are crowned and you can still argue who is the best in each classification.

Jacket2000
10-14-2001, 01:05 PM
Join the club, Backer. People have been bitchin' about that since 1990 when it was started. I have my own solution to the problem, but it makes too much sense for the UIL to consider it.
J2K

eye of the tiger
10-14-2001, 01:10 PM
You make a good point Alvarado. It seems like I remember a few years ago talk of a 6-A for super schools. Dont know how that would have trickled down to the other classifications. But I agree something needs to be done to level the playing field. School enrollment just doesnt do it. FW Northside has an enrollment of over 1900 and a whopping 25 (on good days)on the football team. I dont guess I have the answers but I sure recognize a problem. Maybe it takes more community involvement. Commerce has and enrollment of over 500 this year for the first time but even in the years we had only were in the 400's we had good numbers on the team. Like Alvarado and many other winning programs, the community is behind them 100%. Kids from early ages dream of being a Tiger (or and Indian)and peewee and middle school coachs start teaching the high school system. Im sure it must be that way in Alvarado. I guess we have to deal with the UIL and their genius.