PDA

View Full Version : Pests

SHSBulldog00
05-17-2009, 08:10 PM
In the Houston area we have had gnats for the last three weeks at least. They are all over the coastal counties indoors and outdoors. Anyone else having a problem with pests....not relatives.

SWMustang
05-18-2009, 08:47 PM
skeeters?

lakers
05-20-2009, 10:35 PM
i haven't encountered to many mosquito's this year so far, but before to long they will bad just like they are every year...:mad:

SHSBulldog00
05-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Mosquitoes weren't bad until I went to Hitchcock (Galveston County) for a baseball game. Sure wasn't ready for them.

waterboy
05-21-2009, 09:56 AM
The mosquitoes are especially bad where I live. There has been so much standing water after all the rain we've had that is next to impossible to go outside and not get attacked almost immediately. You can't spend any time outside without spraying yourself down with mosquito repellant. I have to go around the place, find the standing water, and add diesel to them to keep them in check. I heard that bleach works, too, but I haven't tried that.

KingRob
05-21-2009, 10:06 AM
The skeeters are bad over here right now. It's that time of year. I go walking/jogging every day in the forest behind my house, if I walk fast or jog, then I'm okay. You can literally see the group of skeeters following me! Once I stop to stretch or mess with my ipod, then they are all over me. I'm taking some OFF wipes with me now. A little around my neck, arms, and legs, and they pretty much don't mess with me.

Trashman
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
The skeeters are bad in Brownwood as well. Managed to get a picture of this one........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/AH-64D_Apache_Longbow.jpg

:D

SHSBulldog00
05-23-2009, 04:53 PM
They say rubbing fabric softener on your body works.

zebrablue2
05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
They say rubbing fabric softener on your body works.

vanilla extract for the gnats helps my dad a bunch. he calls them bull gnats, and when he is bitten, he swells pretty good. tons of gnats in austin co. not so many skeeters. i hate them both with a passion...

95mustang
06-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
The skeeters are bad in Brownwood as well. Managed to get a picture of this one........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/AH-64D_Apache_Longbow.jpg

:D

That's just a baby one for us here in Brownwood. I'm afraid to let my kids go outside they just might be carried off!!!!

sotex
06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
The mosquitoes are especially bad where I live. There has been so much standing water after all the rain we've had that is next to impossible to go outside and not get attacked almost immediately. You can't spend any time outside without spraying yourself down with mosquito repellant. I have to go around the place, find the standing water, and add diesel to them to keep them in check. I heard that bleach works, too, but I haven't tried that. Bleach works very well and is much cheaper than diesel. For ponds and such iwth fish or plants there are products you can add which will keep the larvae from becoming adults.