PDA

View Full Version : Lady Lions advance tto REgional Semifinals

Looking4number8
05-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Here is the link to the attached story in today's Brownwood paper. We are on a roll and hope we can keep it going. I am proud of these girls, I have know most of them all of their life's (especially one of them)

http://www.brownwoodbulletin.com/articles/2009/05/17/sports/doc4a0fbb3a5b805496183069.txt

No Room for Doubt
Lady Lions cap area round sweep of Pecos, 9-2, will face Seminole in regional quarters
By Derrick Stuckly-Brownwood Bulletin
Published: Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:03 AM CDT
MIDLAND …#8221; After scratching and clawing their way to a bi-district championship, the Brownwood Lady Lions hardly broke a sweat en route to earning their first trip to the regional quarterfinals since 2006.

The Lady Lions completed a Region I-3A area round playoff series sweep of the Pecos Lady Eagles with a 9-2 victory at the Ulmer Park Saturday. Brownwood, which has reeled off four straight postseason wins, also took the opener, 6-1, Friday night.

Next for Brownwood (25-9) is a UIL mandated one-game regional quarterfinal playoff with Seminole, which eliminated Abilene Wylie on Thursday. The time, date and place for the third-round contest had not been finalized as of press time Saturday night. “This is the first time in a while that Brownwood has been three rounds deep and that’s a good feeling,” said first-year Lady Lions head coach Rex Cook.

Added senior second baseman Kerri Jones, “We haven’t been this far since my freshman year and I just want to keep it going. It feels great.”

Jones once again ignited the Lady Lions’ offense as she went 3-for-3 with her second home run in as many days to go along with five RBIs. Brownwood racked up a dozen hits against Pecos pitcher Krystle Ramirez as Nathalie de la Torre chipped in a pair of hits and two RBIs, while Jalisa Hall and Kate Atchley both had one hit and one RBI each. Alex Williams finished with two hits, while Amanda Gober, Sayla Parsons and Sydnie Darden contributed one hit apiece.

“One person starts it off for us and then we’re all hitting,” Jones said. “We’ve been working a lot on hitting and that’s a lot of what we do in practice. We’ve been working on live pitching, too, and that helps us a lot.”

Added Cook, “They threw their slower pitcher today and we told the girls to think of it as change up practice and jump on her, load and explode.”

In the circle, Parsons allowed just two hits, struck out four batters, walked two, stranded three runners and earned her second victory in as many starts during the postseason.

“I’m really excited that it’s coming together, but the team also helps a lot,” Parsons said. “If they didn’t back me up, I wouldn’t have had a great performance.”

Added Cook, “Sayla was awesome today. She had her spots going and was working inside and outside, high and low. Everything she wanted she got. She was in total control.”

The Lady Lions scored all the runs they needed in the bottom of the second inning after stranding a pair of base runners in the first.

After Parsons reached on a fielder’s choice, Brownwood did all its damage with two outs in the inning. Darden followed with a single to left field, then Gober also singled to left to load the bases for Atchley.

Atchley chopped a grounder to Pecos shortstop Brittany Palomino, who hesitated on her throw to first base. That allowed enough time for Atchley to beat the throw and Parsons to score Brownwood’s first run.

Jones then followed with a bullet three-RBI double to the center field wall, which plated Darden, Gober and Atchley for a 4-0 Lady Lion advantage.

“Everybody was talking about line drives, seeing it and driving it, and I was just trying to get a piece of it,” Jones said.

Brownwood tacked on its final five runs in the fourth inning, and again all the Lady Lion scoring took place with two outs.

Atchley began the rally by reaching on one of five Pecos errors, then Jones launched a two-run home run to dead center field through a gusty wind to increase Brownwood’s edge to 6-0. The home run was the 13th overall for Jones this season …#8221; though only 11 count on the official stats …#8221; and her RBI total climbed to 49.

“She just hung the pitch, which is what everybody seems to do, and it’s finding the power zone,” said Jones, who further elaborated on her boost in power this season. “My dad has told me all my life, and Coach Cook convinced me this year, to swing the whole bat and it’s made a lot of difference. I’ve got a lot more power.”

Following the Jones blast, Williams singled to left field, then Mallorie Maxwell reached on an error, which set the table for a wind-assisted two-RBI triple to right field by de la Torre. Hall then singled up the middle to plate de la Torre with the ninth Lady Lion run.

Back in the circle, Parsons carried a no-hitter into the top of the sixth inning before Pecos struck for its two runs. Annelisa Gonzales reached on a one-out bunt single, then scored on Brownwood’s lone error. Claire Weinacht’s RBI fielder’s choice plated Ashley Baeza, who singled to left field, later in the frame.

Despite the hiccup in the sixth inning, Parsons’ performance was one of her most dominant of the season.

“Everything was pretty much working,” Parsons said. “My drop ball was working really well and they weren’t hitting much of anything. Mostly I was trying to throw a lot of location so they wouldn’t be able to find the ball so I could make it move.”

The winner of the Brownwood-Seminole game will face either China Spring or Fredericksburg in the regional semifinals.

ccmom
05-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Congrats to the Lady Lions! Keep rollin'!

Sweetwater Red
05-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Has where they'll play been decided yet? Wouldn't half way
between Seminole and Brownwood be somewhere between Snyder
and Sweetwater?

bwdlionfan
05-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Has where they'll play been decided yet? Wouldn't half way
between Seminole and Brownwood be somwhere between Snyder
and Sweetwater?

I haven't heard of a location yet, but the baseball team is playing Seminole as well.

Looking4number8
05-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I haven't heard of a location yet, but the baseball team is playing Seminole as well.

I did hear that Coach Shipley called the coaches (softball and baseball) before the softball game and told them that chances were good that both teams would be playing Seminole. He told them he wants it to be a double header in the same complex or general area where softball plays first and baseball 2nd. A "double header" for the most part. That will be a pretty cool deal if we get it worked out.

garciap77
05-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Here is the link to the attached story in today's Brownwood paper. We are on a roll and hope we can keep it going. I am proud of these girls, I have know most of them all of their life's (especially one of them)

http://www.brownwoodbulletin.com/articles/2009/05/17/sports/doc4a0fbb3a5b805496183069.txt

No Room for Doubt
Lady Lions cap area round sweep of Pecos, 9-2, will face Seminole in regional quarters
By Derrick Stuckly-Brownwood Bulletin
Published: Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:03 AM CDT
MIDLAND …#8221; After scratching and clawing their way to a bi-district championship, the Brownwood Lady Lions hardly broke a sweat en route to earning their first trip to the regional quarterfinals since 2006.

The Lady Lions completed a Region I-3A area round playoff series sweep of the Pecos Lady Eagles with a 9-2 victory at the Ulmer Park Saturday. Brownwood, which has reeled off four straight postseason wins, also took the opener, 6-1, Friday night.

Next for Brownwood (25-9) is a UIL mandated one-game regional quarterfinal playoff with Seminole, which eliminated Abilene Wylie on Thursday. The time, date and place for the third-round contest had not been finalized as of press time Saturday night. “This is the first time in a while that Brownwood has been three rounds deep and that’s a good feeling,” said first-year Lady Lions head coach Rex Cook.

Added senior second baseman Kerri Jones, “We haven’t been this far since my freshman year and I just want to keep it going. It feels great.”

Jones once again ignited the Lady Lions’ offense as she went 3-for-3 with her second home run in as many days to go along with five RBIs. Brownwood racked up a dozen hits against Pecos pitcher Krystle Ramirez as Nathalie de la Torre chipped in a pair of hits and two RBIs, while Jalisa Hall and Kate Atchley both had one hit and one RBI each. Alex Williams finished with two hits, while Amanda Gober, Sayla Parsons and Sydnie Darden contributed one hit apiece.

“One person starts it off for us and then we’re all hitting,” Jones said. “We’ve been working a lot on hitting and that’s a lot of what we do in practice. We’ve been working on live pitching, too, and that helps us a lot.”

Added Cook, “They threw their slower pitcher today and we told the girls to think of it as change up practice and jump on her, load and explode.”

In the circle, Parsons allowed just two hits, struck out four batters, walked two, stranded three runners and earned her second victory in as many starts during the postseason.

“I’m really excited that it’s coming together, but the team also helps a lot,” Parsons said. “If they didn’t back me up, I wouldn’t have had a great performance.”

Added Cook, “Sayla was awesome today. She had her spots going and was working inside and outside, high and low. Everything she wanted she got. She was in total control.”

The Lady Lions scored all the runs they needed in the bottom of the second inning after stranding a pair of base runners in the first.

After Parsons reached on a fielder’s choice, Brownwood did all its damage with two outs in the inning. Darden followed with a single to left field, then Gober also singled to left to load the bases for Atchley.

Atchley chopped a grounder to Pecos shortstop Brittany Palomino, who hesitated on her throw to first base. That allowed enough time for Atchley to beat the throw and Parsons to score Brownwood’s first run.

Jones then followed with a bullet three-RBI double to the center field wall, which plated Darden, Gober and Atchley for a 4-0 Lady Lion advantage.

“Everybody was talking about line drives, seeing it and driving it, and I was just trying to get a piece of it,” Jones said.

Brownwood tacked on its final five runs in the fourth inning, and again all the Lady Lion scoring took place with two outs.

Atchley began the rally by reaching on one of five Pecos errors, then Jones launched a two-run home run to dead center field through a gusty wind to increase Brownwood’s edge to 6-0. The home run was the 13th overall for Jones this season …#8221; though only 11 count on the official stats …#8221; and her RBI total climbed to 49.

“She just hung the pitch, which is what everybody seems to do, and it’s finding the power zone,” said Jones, who further elaborated on her boost in power this season. “My dad has told me all my life, and Coach Cook convinced me this year, to swing the whole bat and it’s made a lot of difference. I’ve got a lot more power.”

Following the Jones blast, Williams singled to left field, then Mallorie Maxwell reached on an error, which set the table for a wind-assisted two-RBI triple to right field by de la Torre. Hall then singled up the middle to plate de la Torre with the ninth Lady Lion run.

Back in the circle, Parsons carried a no-hitter into the top of the sixth inning before Pecos struck for its two runs. Annelisa Gonzales reached on a one-out bunt single, then scored on Brownwood’s lone error. Claire Weinacht’s RBI fielder’s choice plated Ashley Baeza, who singled to left field, later in the frame.

Despite the hiccup in the sixth inning, Parsons’ performance was one of her most dominant of the season.

“Everything was pretty much working,” Parsons said. “My drop ball was working really well and they weren’t hitting much of anything. Mostly I was trying to throw a lot of location so they wouldn’t be able to find the ball so I could make it move.”

The winner of the Brownwood-Seminole game will face either China Spring or Fredericksburg in the regional semifinals.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/congratulations-300x283.jpg